• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

pockyD

Smash Legend
i feel that when there's no sound, i have a lot more difficulty with using sheik than with other characters, especially when it comes to tech chasing; anyone have similar experiences?

the rhythm of the dthrow is just too good

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i feel that when there's no sound, i have a lot more difficulty with using sheik than with other characters, especially when it comes to tech chasing; anyone have similar experiences?

It sorta hampers my ability to tech chase as well. I like to cue in on that *click* sound for techs.

If I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally concentrating though I guess it doesn't make the biggest difference :laugh:

nicaboy

Smash Champion

Ya I know what you mean. Its the same thing when I try to edge guard space animals. If they side b above the ledge I listen for that bing sound.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
>_>

It's got to the point with me where I kinda hear the side-B sound in my head. I don't really need an audio cue.

I still need to play this game more.

Smooth Criminal

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
so i need a solution for spacies that tech behind you from sheik's dthrow.

DISCUSS.
Turn around regrab. Turn around Jab if they don't tech. D-smash at a bit higher percents.

This is probably the tech that messes up my techchases most. Against spacies I normally will DD away and back and then regrab or CC-jab, because they often shine immediately after the tech and the DD allows you to wait for the shine or just time it perfectly and get the grab.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Man, I just played Swiftbass and Mike$... my OOS game sucks so badddd when I'm being pressured.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
this might belong in the sheik secondaries thread, but i seriously think that playing captain falcon makes you a better sheik player.

i think the basics of spacing, tech reading, and defensive tactics relate to sheik pretty well. i feel like since falcon is so limited(compared to sheik) that i'm forced to think outside the box. other than the grab range, i feel like the spacing tactics against other chars feels pretty close.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Playing another character in general could help to see what spacing really is.

Because for every character you have to adjust to your character's range, abilities, attacks, etc.

Plus having a variety of characters is nice to have :) especially in tournament when people think they can pull a fast one on you.

Can't tell you how many times a peach/jiggs player took my sheik to Mute City only to fight my peach :laugh:.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
Playing another character in general could help to see what spacing really is.

Because for every character you have to adjust to your character's range, abilities, attacks, etc.
this.

character combinations always interest me cuz a lot of people use some random a** groups of chars.

with respect to cap to sheik, i found that i tend to jump overhead spacies, cuz their approach is so ****. i do that with sheik, mostly bc of her high jump. a lot of times i frantically try to grab and tech chase, which is hard to rely on. ain't easy at all

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I like using different characters, but I often don't see big improvements in my sheik, just in my other characters. Ex. I have been playing a LOT of falcon for a while. And while I can now get the rapeee combo's <3 with him, when I go back to sheik it takes me a few games to get the complete feel for how she moves and plays again. I'll jab too much with Sheik, and mess up DD's because Sheik doesn't really DD like falcon.

And now I'm messing with Fox and seeing how much potential he has and I want to play him, but Sheik is clearly my best. Then there's Marth too. It's a hard knock life for me. If only I could be like Teczero and play everyone awesome.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Hooray my oos game is good now. :D Eggm taught me stuff.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Haley

remember the one time

the fox took you to mute

that was lol.
Are you saying you wouldn't take me to Mute City? :lick:

Tremor - Yea I know what you mean, I feel like my sheik feels more clunky sometimes when i play my fox too much (Basically what I'm going through now :(). My peach is playing not so bad suprisingly :laugh:

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Nah dude I dont want you to make me your *****.

Remmeber how badly I got 4 stocked like every game?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
GOD ****IT

thats lke the 9th time ive been mod editted this week

you all suck

I HATE YOU.

Kira-

Smash Champion
tec0 - laugh all you want, but falcon is the worst part of my game right now. both scar and hax beat me pretty bad in MMs at genesis (hax in tourney as well).

i blame this on a lack of good falcon players on the west coast. falcons here are easy mode other than SS who i havent had a chance to play yet, or Mango who is just mango.

vids would be the best, but are there any tips or specific things you like to do against those falcons? if you can't narrow it down, start with approach. they move pretty quick horizontally and for some reason i can't see when they are about to attack

sounds awsome, now i want to see the hitbox of sheiks dsmash but seansons hitbox site doesnt work for me =/

yeah, the utilt came to my mind because i like to spam it against Foxes who aren't that experienced and approach from directly above.
I also don't think tilts help much against spaced bairs =/

hmm my next idea would be to do a retreating jump and try to fair Fox although i don't think that works.
However, Amsah is really good at interrupting FJ-nair approaches like that so maybe it works there too =O

whatever, now im really curious and I'll experiment with that dsmash thingy =)
after more testing i think anything will work as long as you do it soon enough. the 2nd hit of uptilt works, ftilt works if angled right (and done early enough), dsmash works if done early enough, etc

@Kira: Wow dsmash is awsome against Fox bair =O
i havent been able to pull it off in tournament yet cuz i keep forgetting about it (i'd rather wd back to dash attack/grab/wait) but it would be super useful if i could do it consistently

Man, I just played Swiftbass and Mike$... my OOS game sucks so badddd when I'm being pressured.
your "oos game" sucks? as in you're bad at adapting? as in you're bad at this game?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
tec0 - laugh all you want, but falcon is the worst part of my game right now. both scar and hax beat me pretty bad in MMs at genesis (hax in tourney as well).

i blame this on a lack of good falcon players on the west coast. falcons here are easy mode other than SS who i havent had a chance to play yet, or Mango who is just mango.

vids would be the best, but are there any tips or specific things you like to do against those falcons? if you can't narrow it down, start with approach. they move pretty quick horizontally and for some reason i can't see when they are about to attack
ROFL why would I laugh? I think its funny you think I would make fun of you for losing to the top 2 falcons in Tristate. :laugh:

Frankly there is some stuff to look for and I'll get into it in more depth later if you wish. Right now though I need to study for my Linear Algebra exam so not right now :(.

As for vids you can watch my Ustream vids vs hax. Both games I go Sheik against Scar I lost . I was kinda close to winning but ended up losing. Although I guess it can be helpful anyway.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Question: what do you do when Marth is hanging on the ledge and sheik is on stage? I tried different things like jump away and needle, space (short or doublejumped) bairs, shorthop fairs, dtilt, but too often I get hit by his fair or I just miss and I was wondering what is the best option.

Spife

Smash Master
I was thinking you can cc at low percents, or shield. He can wait out your shield to get small enough so he can hit you though so that might not work to well. Theoretically though, he'd only be able to grab you (assuming you could cc his aerials) or fsmash I guess, or try and run away from you.
Charging them sharp things sounds like a good idea though.

Top Bottom