• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Ryan-K

Smash Master
if i fair their shield i dsmash if i think they're gonna try to aerial out of shield unless its someone who jumps high like marth in which case i ftilt which goes under his nonsense. dsmash also covers spot dodges if they get ballsy. its really lazy but pretty safe

soap

Smash Hero
dsmash is not safe on shield though... most of the time

it works against people that aren't good at reading the shield stun to wavedash grab

its still a good option though i do it alot after late nair

fair to dash away is prolly the safest most versatile thing u can do

Ryan-K

Smash Master
pfft sheik has ninja magic. safety is as natural as breathing. except you die if you stop breathing. sheik never stops being safe. newbie

soap

Smash Hero
ive been buffering rolls for a while

sidestep feels akward to buffer for some reason

but im trying to get in the habit of doing that too. its pretty useful.

makes it easier to sidestep out of a crouch cancel

anybody buffer their dthrows? i read somewhere that cstick buffers throws but it only seems to buffer dthrow. sheik only has dthrow though so it could be useful i suppose to catch people without DI

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
anybody buffer their dthrows? i read somewhere that cstick buffers throws but it only seems to buffer dthrow. sheik only has dthrow though so it could be useful i suppose to catch people without DI
If this does work, you're not going to catch them without DI. Her throw has a very distinct, very long animation.

soap

Smash Hero
u could buffer throws during grab attacks so maybe u could use it to sneak in more grab attack hits and throw them frame perfectly before they can break out?

i dont know i want this to be useful before i try changing muscle memory on throws

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Getting a more secure grab attack --> throw would be nice. I don't see why you'd need to buffer it though. It's not too difficult to time.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i dont know im just in a mood to buffer everything

anybody buffer jump, that has practical applications
Buffer jump out of tech chases is really good... especially if you can waveland on a platform after it. People neglect buffer jumping to escape tech chases (really good with Fox/Sheik due to fast jumps).

I'd really like to know if you could buffer smashes out of throws with Marth. It seems highly unlikely given that whenever I miss the timing I just don't Fsmash.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'd really like to know if you could buffer smashes out of throws with Marth. It seems highly unlikely given that whenever I miss the timing I just don't Fsmash.
No, you can't.

Buffer jump back is good. I think Shine is better for Fox, though, unless you're against Marth or something. It should probably be used more than it is though (not at all).

You could buffer Fair in the sense that you could buffer jump and then jump on the earliest frame possible, and probably hold forward so you jump forward. You won't dash, though, so this may be issue sometimes.

Buffering, to my knowledge, only works (in the way we're talking about it here) with C-stick + L/R/Z. Anything else you "buffer" just means you did it within the 2 frames that smash lets you buffer during other moves or actions normally.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
No, you can't.

Buffer jump back is good. I think Shine is better for Fox, though, unless you're against Marth or something. It should probably be used more than it is though (not at all).

You could buffer Fair in the sense that you could buffer jump and then jump on the earliest frame possible, and probably hold forward so you jump forward. You won't dash, though, so this may be issue sometimes.

Buffering, to my knowledge, only works (in the way we're talking about it here) with C-stick + L/R/Z. Anything else you "buffer" just means you did it within the 2 frames that smash lets you buffer during other moves or actions normally.
I'll agree with everything you said.

Shine is definitely a good option, but as a Marth main I never really have issues with getting shined from a tech chase as long as I space my grabs (I imagine Sheik as well). It's definitely worth trying out with Sheik though since she doesn't have shine, since a lot of people wait for the spotdodge/tilt/jab on tech chase (which are pretty much all countered by waiting/ccing) jumping gives you another option from rolling/getupbufferrolling in those situations and is even better on platform stages.

Of course you have other options if you know/guess they are going to wait, it's simply something I don't see enough of. Especially given that one counter strat covers a lot of the common responses from tech chases.

soap

Smash Hero
jump is a few frames slower than the most common options is prolly why

ill try it out

u cant buffer short hops though, u can sh with the cstick, but if u just hold the stick up u will fullhop.

fullhop is a couple frames slower than sh too i believe, making it an even slower option

and it is akward to time rising aerials when u arent sure when u will jump

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
jump is a few frames slower than the most common options is prolly why

ill try it out

u cant buffer short hops though, u can sh with the cstick, but if u just hold the stick up u will fullhop.

fullhop is a couple frames slower than sh too i believe, making it an even slower option

and it is akward to time rising aerials when u arent sure when u will jump
At first, but doubtful to stay awkward, if people learned the timing for shining on the first frame of a getup tech it shouldn't be hard to learn to rising fair a buffered jump. Your always going to jump on the same frame if buffered so it's not like the timing will change. I meant it more in terms of wavelanding or in general escape but for rising fairs I doubt it would be very hard to learn if you just practiced it.

I don't think there is any difference in jump time between short hop and full hop in terms of when you leave the ground. Since the wavedash timing is still the same.

soap

Smash Hero
At first, but doubtful to stay awkward, if people learned the timing for shining on the first frame of a getup tech it shouldn't be hard to learn to rising fair a buffered jump. Your always going to jump on the same frame if buffered so it's not like the timing will change. I meant it more in terms of wavelanding or in general escape but for rising fairs I doubt it would be very hard to learn if you just practiced it.

I don't think there is any difference in jump time between short hop and full hop in terms of when you leave the ground. Since the wavedash timing is still the same.
perhaps u could learn the timing. i was thinking of buffering oos on hitstun which i think is more useful

although like how foxes learn the timing in order to shine, if u just learn the timing naturally u have more options than defensive rolling and jumping

earla

Smash Lord
how does the sheik chain grab work?

I tried doing d-throw to another sheik at 0% but i cudn't regrab.

is it even in the australian version of melee?

pockyD

Smash Legend
So wait... I'm confused now.

If you're being tech chased you guys buffer jump? So you just hold shield and just hold c-stick up?
yeah that's how it works

i don't feel like it's very good for sheik though, simply because being at fullhop height above people is rarely good and it's fairly easy to intercept you on the way up even if you intend on wavelanding on a platform or something

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Hmm so this weekend I ran into a marth. We were 1-1 and I had the counter pick stage. I was trying to think of good counter pick stages for the match up and ended up picking kongo jungle 64. I was thinking its harder to kill me with f smash plus I have 2 places to recover(either the top or lower part of the stage). As well as if I get spiked there is a slight chance the barrel would save me. I won but wonder if it was a good decision. Thoughts as well as suggestions for next time please.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
kongo jungle wasn't a bad choice, but i either pick FD or dreamland against marth. personally, i think it's hard to find a CP stage against marth. most of the stages marth is good at, so is sheik.

that being said, it's my fav matchup. i don't really mind any of the stages against marth. i only like FD bc you can camp him out and every combo works pretty well without platforms. some sheiks don't like FD against marth, but whatever

Falcinho

Smash Ace
yes, KJ64 is a good stage for Sheik while the ledges make it harder for Marth to sweetspot

And you can platform camp if you want/need to be gay

However, don't counterpick stages you aren't familiar with

Edit: You could counterpick Marth to gay stages like Rainbow Cruise or sth, but then again many ppl play a decent Fox too ....
Therefore pick a stage you are comfortable with and not a stage that'd be good in theory

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Marth is wicked good at rainbow cruise. As long as he camps on the left side of the ledge while you're on the boat/ship/whatever.

o_O @ Tec0 being mod.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Hmm so this weekend I ran into a marth. We were 1-1 and I had the counter pick stage. I was trying to think of good counter pick stages for the match up and ended up picking kongo jungle 64. I was thinking its harder to kill me with f smash plus I have 2 places to recover(either the top or lower part of the stage). As well as if I get spiked there is a slight chance the barrel would save me. I won but wonder if it was a good decision. Thoughts as well as suggestions for next time please.
I think its a good choice, assuming he stays marth I mean.

Its a big stage which is advantageous to you since you're the one with the projectile. Its also a stage that doesn't really hurt your recovery since Sheiks never really need a wall in the first place.

^_^b

Marth is wicked good at rainbow cruise. As long as he camps on the left side of the ledge while you're on the boat/ship/whatever.

o_O @ Tec0 being mod.
I don't think Marth is really that good on RC...

I'd love to fight marths on RC :laugh:

Pew pews all day.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Oh my bad. I think he's pretty good there vs Sheik.

I usually cp DL and if they ban that I go FD.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Edit: You could counterpick Marth to gay stages like Rainbow Cruise or sth, but then again many ppl play a decent Fox too ....
Therefore pick a stage you are comfortable with and not a stage that'd be good in theory
isn't marf bad at all CP's?

o and stop abbreviating somethingi get confused everytime i see it

Something should never be shortened to "sth"
im gonna liek go rage fit or sth now

Top Bottom