• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
How do you DI falco's uthrow at mid-high %?
Also I suck aginst falcos that spam double jump and dair from high high above. I think I should, like, wd back to stuff but dair's ******** hitbox gets me before I can punish.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How do you DI falco's uthrow at mid-high %?
Also I suck aginst falcos that spam double jump and dair from high high above. I think I should, like, wd back to stuff but dair's ******** hitbox gets me before I can punish.
Just DI left/right it doesn't make a giant difference unless you're near the edge or something.

Also if falcos DJ they place themselves at a pretty awful position. You can either space yourself for an ftilt that'll connect after they dair, space for a grab, or just run and shield the dair into nair or grab.

You can even dash attack them if they try to laser.

Just be patient about it.

booshk

Smash Lord
15 - 22nd of August

Sheik dittos are a heavy cluster**** of crouch cancel, spaced move homosexuality, and grabbing.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
*explosion*
Unfortunately I'm going to still be in Taiwan.. lol dangit i really wanted to play you! hope you have fun in bc though man.
play sion, he's ****.

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
Thanks for your answer. Would you happen to know something about light shield on platforms -> get hit -> instabair when falling off? I thought it would be a cool way to get down against dumb spacies, but I seem to fall down in a weird way which doesn't allow me to do anything until I touch the ground. Am I doing something wrong?

Ok nevermind, just realized you have to face away from the platform =P

Teba

Smash Cadet
Ok.. I have some questions now:

1) Peach: Because she is a floater is there any better way to kill her than just Fairing her and trying to kill her in high percents? And yes... It is hard because of DI, so that's why I need this help? Is U-Airing any better? And her D-Smash is killing me so badly.. So what should I do to this: I Fair to Peach, she Crouch Cancels it and bang, D-Smash in my face and I gain so much percents.. So This is one tricky thing too. And any other advices would be good too.

2) Falco: LASERS! I HATE THEM SO MUCH! What should I do to them? Because Needles aren't working because they are so slow against lasers. So should I just jump over platforms or what? Lasers -> F-Smash -> I'm dead.. And is there any other advices what I should do against Falcos? Tech-chasing is working sometimes so it is good but some other things?

Thx to everybody already who answers these questions!

~ Greets from Finland! Teba.

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
Ok.. I have some questions now:

1) Peach: Because she is a floater is there any better way to kill her than just Fairing her and trying to kill her in high percents? And yes... It is hard because of DI, so that's why I need this help? Is U-Airing any better? And her D-Smash is killing me so badly.. So what should I do to this: I Fair to Peach, she Crouch Cancels it and bang, D-Smash in my face and I gain so much percents.. So This is one tricky thing too. And any other advices would be good too.

2) Falco: LASERS! I HATE THEM SO MUCH! What should I do to them? Because Needles aren't working because they are so slow against lasers. So should I just jump over platforms or what? Lasers -> F-Smash -> I'm dead.. And is there any other advices what I should do against Falcos? Tech-chasing is working sometimes so it is good but some other things?

Thx to everybody already who answers these questions!

~ Greets from Finland! Teba.
1) Since you're probably playing pal, you'd better stick to fair. Enjoy getting her to 120% every single time, though :lick: Peach sucks. Against CC you should try to needle her or something for lower %s, and then just space aerials the best you can so you avoid the CC dsmash. And don't get predictable with them or she'll just dash attack under them (or something as dumb) and start a painful combo.

2) Get on platforms -> falling fair, short hop over an approaching laser then fair, nair out of shield after the laser if they always approach in the same way (also good for breaking shield pressure, it's 6 frames so it's faster than grabbing), dash attack under high lasers (not at lower % though or they go nowhere and you get shined), crouch the laser then ftilt their approach... =D
Powershield may net some easy grabs but don't overdo it.

Tech chasing is one of the biggest advantages you should exploit when fighting space animals, so abuse it and get good at reading you opponents' patterns. Running usmash is good to scare them into not doing tech in place/no tech, and this is good since it's kinda the most difficult option to punish.
Learn to boost grab (dash attack then cancel into grab asap) since it makes catching tech away so much easier.

Getting the grab may be difficult though, you have to trick them into thinking that shielding is a good idea then you just walk in their face and start elbowing them to death. Also powershielding right in front of them, if you can read a sh laser in place, equals to easy grabs which is good.

Teba

Smash Cadet
1) Since you're probably playing pal, you'd better stick to fair. Enjoy getting her to 120% every single time, though :lick: Peach sucks. Against CC you should try to needle her or something for lower %s, and then just space aerials the best you can so you avoid the CC dsmash. And don't get predictable with them or she'll just dash attack under them (or something as dumb) and start a painful combo.

2) Get on platforms -> falling fair, short hop over an approaching laser then fair, nair out of shield after the laser if they always approach in the same way (also good for breaking shield pressure, it's 6 frames so it's faster than grabbing), dash attack under high lasers (not at lower % though or they go nowhere and you get shined), crouch the laser then ftilt their approach... =D
Powershield may net some easy grabs but don't overdo it.

Tech chasing is one of the biggest advantages you should exploit when fighting space animals, so abuse it and get good at reading you opponents' patterns. Running usmash is good to scare them into not doing tech in place/no tech, and this is good since it's kinda the most difficult option to punish.
Learn to boost grab (dash attack then cancel into grab asap) since it makes catching tech away so much easier.

Getting the grab may be difficult though, you have to trick them into thinking that shielding is a good idea then you just walk in their face and start elbowing them to death. Also powershielding right in front of them, if you can read a sh laser in place, equals to easy grabs which is good.
Thanks a lot to you, Vincent46! I think that my problem usually is that I dont grab so much. And that is quite bad thing to do because Sheik's grabs are good so I need to use them much more. And by the way! When I watched some videos (Sheik vs Peach), it seemed that D-Grab to U-Air works really well in Pokemon Stadium, because Pokemon Stadium isn't that high stage as other stages, so should I use that? Peach is going het KO'ed like in.. 100-120% If I remember right.

And yeah.. I need learn your advices to win my friend's Falco. I think it is possible, but sometimes I just get *****. But that's why I need to practise. Against Peach I'm doing already guite fine but sometimes I just lose to so **** silly thing that I do.

But thank you so much! I try these!

Vincent46

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot to you, Vincent46! I think that my problem usually is that I dont grab so much. And that is quite bad thing to do because Sheik's grabs are good so I need to use them much more. And by the way! When I watched some videos (Sheik vs Peach), it seemed that D-Grab to U-Air works really well in Pokemon Stadium, because Pokemon Stadium isn't that high stage as other stages, so should I use that? Peach is going het KO'ed like in.. 100-120% If I remember right.

And yeah.. I need learn your advices to win my friend's Falco. I think it is possible, but sometimes I just get *****. But that's why I need to practise. Against Peach I'm doing already guite fine but sometimes I just lose to so **** silly thing that I do.

But thank you so much! I try these!
If you're from Finland I guess you're playing pal (European version)? Aside from uair being much weaker, Sheik's dthrow doesn't combo to anything in pal - and that's a major problem since peach can just camp us in her shield all day long =(. So fair is the kill move of choice anyway. As for Falco, if you aren't very experienced in the matchup yet, this may be of help.

Teba

Smash Cadet
If you're from Finland I guess you're playing pal (European version)? Aside from uair being much weaker, Sheik's dthrow doesn't combo to anything in pal - and that's a major problem since peach can just camp us in her shield all day long =(. So fair is the kill move of choice anyway. As for Falco, if you aren't very experienced in the matchup yet, this may be of help.
Ok. Then I don't use that thing. And yeah Falco isn't one of my weakest opponent's and I don't have much experience of him. So maybe your helps will help me.

gm jack

Smash Lord
What can a Sheik do in a neutral situation to put pressure on and be safe. Other characters seem to be able to fire some projectile, dash dance or occasionally shffl a certain aerial fairly safely. However, needles are too slow, her dash dance is small with few options out of it and her air speed is too low to do big advancing/retreating aerials.

Is the best option to either stay fairly still or to advance?

soap

Smash Hero
What can a Sheik do in a neutral situation to put pressure on and be safe. Other characters seem to be able to fire some projectile, dash dance or occasionally shffl a certain aerial fairly safely. However, needles are too slow, her dash dance is small with few options out of it and her air speed is too low to do big advancing/retreating aerials.

needles are slow? be thankful u don't have fireballs

dash dance is not that bad

shffl isn't the best approach. Its more of a pressure/spacing technique once the other person has commited to doing a move and not moving

there are lots of options. charge some needles, see how they react, store them. work a little dash dance in. Wall bairs. Mix all of those together

I dash attack alot nowadays

Brookman

Smash Hero

You're just sooooooo BAD. Watch M2K and other top Sheik players, Sheik is amazing and so much better than you seem to understand. At the same time, maybe sheik is just not for you, since it sounds like your style is more suited for fox or puff.

Also, fully charged needles do ~17-18% Her dash, wave dash, dash attack are all extremely fast. her Forward tilt, shuffled fair are amazing. her up tilt is amazing. Her TECH CHASING IS THE BEST IN THE GAME, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN TO "APPLY PRESSURE" YOU NEED TO LEARN THIS TACTIC.

Her RECOVERY IS . . . . >_> BUT HER EDGE GUARDING IS AMAZING!! SOOO MANY OPTIONS.

Your post just makes me sad.

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
D Tilt. Why do people use it?

I see a lot of good players use it all the time in videos but whenever I try to utilize it in my game I fall flat on my face. So can some tell me why its useful and when I should use it?

Thanks in advance! :D
It seems like it'd be good for an approach. Makes your vulnerable hitbox smaller, and can combo into ftilt, which we should all know is pretty amazing.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
@Moose: U-Smash or U-tilt + Regrab. Personally I think the U-tilt regrab is much cooler, but if you mistime it you can get shined and then massacred :p. Tech-chase regrabbing is also viable if you can react fast enough. But yeah I tend to U-tilt while predicting a spot-tech, cause spacies usually think they can get away with a spot-tech -> quick shine to screw shieks up. Anyways, I find it to be a good starting point :p From there you can begin to guess their teching pattern.

AMSAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my shiek has become a significantly worse version of yours. I'm doing all the empty short hop grabs and U-tilts now :p Basically my NTSC shiek turned into a PAL shiek...which unfortunately made me a lot worse at the Falcon matchup since I'm actually trying to play smart when I really should just be playing gay. I still hate mind trick for leaving early when I was over there T__T

gm jack

Smash Lord
You're just sooooooo BAD. Watch M2K and other top Sheik players, Sheik is amazing and so much better than you seem to understand. At the same time, maybe sheik is just not for you, since it sounds like your style is more suited for fox or puff.

Also, fully charged needles do ~17-18% Her dash, wave dash, dash attack are all extremely fast. her Forward tilt, shuffled fair are amazing. her up tilt is amazing. Her TECH CHASING IS THE BEST IN THE GAME, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN TO "APPLY PRESSURE" YOU NEED TO LEARN THIS TACTIC.

Her RECOVERY IS . . . . >_> BUT HER EDGE GUARDING IS AMAZING!! SOOO MANY OPTIONS.

Your post just makes me sad.
I know I suck, which was why I was asking for advice, so stop being a smart ***.

My point was that not many of the attacking options are that safe. Get a dash attack shielded or cced and you get ***** for it. Miss a grab and same deal. Her shuffles are pretty safe, but her low air speed and high sh doesn't make them too hard to deal with for a character playing defensively.

It seams that while sheik has a ton of really good options, they all have a major flaw which means if you get predicted, you get ***** for it. I said needles are slow only in relation to getting punished for someone calling you on throwing needles. Having a falcon full jump over the stage to knee you in the ending lag is not fun.

I know all her moves are really good. I know she's really quick. I was asking for help on what to do in neutral situations, as most things appear to be pretty punishable compared to other characters. Is putting pressure on by closing the gap (or camping against falcon's etc) the best thing to do?

gm jack

Smash Lord
So approaching to get into attack range is the best option? I have no trouble moving around with her. I was just having trouble with what to do more safely once I actually get there. At the moment, a decent number of my approaches get cut down, so it is a matter of how I do things rather than what I'm doing (if that makes sense).

soap

Smash Hero
having them full jump across the stage is to your advantage

because you can store the needles instead of throwing them, then space

try it out

Brookman

Smash Hero
So approaching to get into attack range is the best option? I have no trouble moving around with her. I was just having trouble with what to do more safely once I actually get there. At the moment, a decent number of my approaches get cut down, so it is a matter of how I do things rather than what I'm doing (if that makes sense).
If you're just trying to beat your friends all you need to do is play marth.

gm jack

Smash Lord
I've been playing competitively on and off for about a year. The last tournament I attended was the second biggest in europe ever. I do want to get good at the game.

My big problem is that I have huge swings in how well I play. The only thing I can guess is that I have days of lucky guessing and those without. Therefore, I'm trying to find out what I'm doing right and wrong so I can focus on improving what I'm doing right. I'm asking stupid questions because I thought they were stupid questions until I realised I wasn't sure of the answer.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I got double eliminated by Hax yesterday so I feel your pain Cosmo =(.

And sheik dittos are a complete ground game since all her aerials lose to upair/uptilt and somewhat to ftilt.

Just stay on the ground as much as possible.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Sheik dittos are all about careful spacing and CC'ing everything as much as possible.

And yeah, jumping is for noobs.

Top Bottom