• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Do you know Aldwyn?
He's the guy that does like this..*point arm forward*

At 45 looks you you tried and you guys traded your favor
That was just me getting lucky with percentage. Also, normally he baits the ftilts and nairs me afterwards.

At 1:18 you chose f air instead of wd back f tilt Traded zegetto favor
Good point, I didn't see that. I wouldn't necessarily ftilt, but moving out of that position would've been more beneficial than trying to attack him from there. Thanks :embarrass

At 1:53 you chose to approach and sheiks not that great at it. Wd back f tilt looked like a great idea there.
I was behind, I had to approach. And it's FD, if I don't approach he can laser camp the crap out of me..:(

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
how come?

I just want to know your opinion.
Well for one, I'm quite used to overly defensive play.

I mean.. my region has Jman and Hax as 1/2 >___>.

Another reason is that I believe Fox can use more of his strengths if you play aggressive. Fox can make you feel like you can't move anywhere and that all that you're really doing is getting hit around a lot.

I'm much more scared of a Fox that is constantly in my face, making me always scared of using my option of rolling/sidestepping.

Defensive players give you a sense that you have to play catch. They're much more lenient in a sense.

They both have their merits obviously but I don't like the sense that I'm forced to shield a lot and backed into a corner. If you give me a lot of room I'm much more comfortable.

soap

Smash Hero
Well for one, I'm quite used to overly defensive play.

I mean.. my region has Jman and Hax as 1/2 >___>.

Another reason is that I believe Fox can use more of his strengths if you play aggressive. Fox can make you feel like you can't move anywhere and that all that you're really doing is getting hit around a lot.

I'm much more scared of a Fox that is constantly in my face, making me always scared of using my option of rolling/sidestepping.

Defensive players give you a sense that you have to play catch. They're much more lenient in a sense.

They both have their merits obviously but I don't like the sense that I'm forced to shield a lot and backed into a corner. If you give me a lot of room I'm much more comfortable.

i dont mind either style. i kinda just adapt accordingly.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
What are the stages I should try to play on when I am Sheik?

And

What are the stages I need to try to band when I play Sheik?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i dont mind either style. i kinda just adapt accordingly.
Well... yea.. but don't you have a preference?

And

Sheik isn't really bad on any stage... so play on every stage I suppose.

Deciding on what to ban is match up dependent. Like I said, sheik is good on every stage so there really isn't a particular stage to decide ban.

Also I've been starting to fight falco and trying to think of a way to avoid/punish lasers.

I started using crouching to fairly good success (Thanks Amsah =D) but I've started trying other tactics as well to see what works.

I've thought originally that SH fair would work very well but now I'm having second thoughts. I've had very little success using it and really only find it useful against a low SHL in place. Which is... kinda bad.

I've had a ton of success vs Falco's lasers by approaching with moves that go under the laser.

Any thoughts?

S l o X

Smash Champion

And

Choose stages based on the opposing characters weaknesses is what I tend to do. Saying I'm not good is an understatement so don't take this advice to the heart. I like FoD against spacies and Falcon. High ceilings + platforms do Sheik tilts justice and help you . . .so that you BE LIVIN.

No idea about what to do vs. peach / jiggs. I'd stay on a lower ceiling stage for CPs, d-throw > up air kills decently if your playing NTSC.

Yeah, Sheik does pretty good on every stage. I'm no fan of playing Marth on YS though. Not at all . . .
-
Playing Swift's Falco in friendlies, lasers are a nuiscance but I like to waveland onto platform > fast fall fair if they are more or less near me. If they expect it after a certain amount of times, they will either wd back or shield in which case there are obvious solutions to.

I'd ban FD against Falco. (I'd be lost if I couldn't get a grab. I rely on platforms for a lot of things as Sheik as I tend not to rely on grabbing too much. Moving around FD isn't exactly the most fun thing when your having your *** lit up by lasers :<)

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I like playing Falco on FD because my powershieldtiming isn´t that bad and you can **** Falco up really bad if he isn´t prepared getting hit suddenly by a powershielded laser. And of course because of grabbing/techchasing.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Wouldn't you **** him up really bad pretty much regardless of level if you get a grab/tech chase/powershield a laser he doesn't expect you to?

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
This thread has over 9000 posts basically and I don't feel like reading them all to see if this question has already been answered, if that's okay.

My question is this. Sheik's NAir is a sex kick. Is her BAir also a sex kick? If so, it almost seems like 3/4 top tier characters have two sex kicks. Coincidence? I think the two sex kicks is what makes Falco/Fox so good, even moreso than the shine in some cases.

Edit: Not quite 9000, but almost.

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't you **** him up really bad pretty much regardless of level if you get a grab/tech chase/powershield a laser he doesn't expect you to?
On FD there´re no plates where he could escape from that Powershield/Grab stuff. On FD I usually get more grabs than anywhere else, that makes it much more easier to handle with an aggressive Falco.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I have a question: How do I deal with a skilled Link's projectile spamming. I find it difficult getting inside and punishing him when hes dropping bombs and other **** all the time lol

soap

Smash Hero
i've never had any problem with that.

If u want u can just charge needles, store them duck the boomerang. then randomly unload a charge when he is about to throw.

link will come to u if u want to make him.

but it's easy and more fun to dance around his stuff and be aggresive.

just use duck and jump smartly

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I have a question: How do I deal with a skilled Link's projectile spamming. I find it difficult getting inside and punishing him when hes dropping bombs and other **** all the time lol
I think KK and Soap covered it pretty **** well, but I'd like to add:

CHAINGRAB THAT FROO-FROO ELF.

Edit: When he doesn't have bombs.

Smooth Criminal

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Thanks for the advice. New to competitive Melee and my crew leader has a good Link. I need to get better since I'm the crew's token Sheik lol

Brookman

Smash Hero
spam needles through his floppy projectiles. Take the top platform. take the edge. forward tilt. Jab. side step.

there is really a lot more you can do but those are fairly solid options

nicaboy

Smash Champion
lol the thought of link prjectile camping sheik is funny to me. trust me your needles are better than any projectlie link has.

anyway make sure to look for grab oppertunties they come so often and chain grab slap combo etc. needles and b air gimp him pretty easily. if your ballsy you can slap him sometimes.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Don't approach ever. Needle camp hard and avoid all projectiles in the simplest fashion (nothing fancy, play safe). Use up all the time on the clock. Learned this with my set with Germ awhile back. I was losing, started camping, then won.

Then Link sucks really bad. You're a better character who excels at camping, make him come to you.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
link suchs end of discussion chain grab his ***............ germ might be the acception to camp there isnt to many pro links i think it's like a 70:30 match up shiek's favour.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I've been pondering the point that for most matchups (excluding cfalc and ganon) that FoD is not that great of a sheik stage.
i played lots of matches with my friends peach who i go 50/50 with and tho i usually win on smaller stages FoD is the exception. the platforms movement sets up for easy peach downsmashes. if they are low enough she can go form float cancelled nairs on your shield to an instant dsmash on the top of your head. then she can drop and and cont nairs or another dsamsh becuz the plats are so close to the edge. you cant roll away. id say that if the skill levels of the players are even then that stage gives peach the advantage.
its basically marths second best stage. easy tippers and the plats allow for him to tech out at times. and they set sheik up for punishment bcuz a tech roll on a plat just asks for a tipper or ken combo.
falco is pretty good there and fox is...well....fox. they can tech out on plats from d throws and the lasers can knock you onto a low floating plat and lead to an fsmash.
and all low tiers have a chance to get out of chain throws.

to recap-FoD is not a great sheik stage except against falcon. and not even a good stage for her overall.

soap

Smash Hero
i personally don't like it either

but u can do alot of useful stuff with those platforms as well.

i'd go there before pokemon

Top Bottom