• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Or he could just nado you anyway, let you hit him and then wreck you until you land 9 other moves.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Or he could just nado you anyway, let you hit him and then wreck you until you land 9 other moves.
Dash Attack is really good in this MU, if we hit with the 6% hit we can avoid punishment entirely.
If we hit with the 4% spaced properly we get a guaranteed powershield on any dair retaliation.
Which can lead into another DA punish, Ftilt, or *maybe* a grab. (Another move added to the Queue)

Spring can knock him out of Nado and punish SL when we're above him, and we can use it to mess up his planking. (Adds to the Que)

ASC can be used to bait/punish SL, Glide Attack and Nado.

iSDR can lead into a kill with bair at high percents, or if we iSDR->SDJ we get 17% and the possibility of footstooling which can lead into a tech chase or spin charge.

Pummels do 3% each, and takes up a spot in the move que.

Uthrow does 12%, sets him up for platform follow-ups like fair, uair, and bair, and at lower percents the possibility of reading his DI and Utilting. (Basically adds 2 moves to the queue)

Fair beats his Glide Attack, and Drill Rush pretty reliably. (Adds another to the queue)

Uair outspaces his Dair. (Adds another to the Queue)

Our Shield+Speed can allow us to punish things we've baited using SDSC or just Shield Dashing.

ShyGuys actually *help* us rather than hurt spindash's staling since we have the option to hit them with other moves to refresh iSDR.

Fsmash is actually usable against nado without worrying too much about it staling since we'll most likely get an opportunity to kill with iSDR to Bair. (not to mention it takes up a spot in the move Queue)

If for whatever ridiculous reason we get a jab lock on MK we'll get to refresh our moves enough with just that.

So I wouldn't say he would be *wrecking* us til we have another iSDR, though admittedly we'd still have some difficulty, just not *nearly* as much.

We get AT LEAST 3 Per Match since everytime we lose a stock our moves are refreshed.

Now I'm not trying to say that YI is a free win against MK, but it's definitely better than plenty of other stages we could take him, probably even better than FD. and it gives us a great tool for beating nado/killing/running the timer in iSDR.

Overall I wouldn't say this even puts the MU in Sonic's favor on YI, but getting a 17% lead right from the start of the match, and having access to a move that can beat anything/everything he does is pretty amazing, and even if the MK bans YI that automatically gives us a free CP against him.

On a side-note, recently I've been bair-ing MKs out of their dair alot more after seeing it in some of Espy's vids against MKs, it's a pretty awesome option! XD

Edit: Oh, and not that I would entirely condone this, but if the MK doesn't realize that you have to have the iSDR fresh for it to beat all of his options, you could potentially just burn the timer all way down by using a mix of feint AND real iSDR camping.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The lack of a platform on FD gives you better options for beating tornado than iSDR.

And as I mentioned, if he just nados and goes high to avoid spindash/autocancel on the platform, he can bait YOU into blowing it and maybe hitting a shy guy so it doesn't work anymore. This is assuming you face an MK with great memory of stale moves, knows the matchup, gives a **** about getting hit with spindash and also wants to troll you for bothering to keep spindash fresh when you could have been spamming lagless 18 damage juggle starters.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Tesh, this is why you're Sonic doesn't go anywhere.
Nothing is viable to you. Nothing. :applejack:

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
The lack of a platform on FD gives you better options for beating tornado than iSDR.

And as I mentioned, if he just nados and goes high to avoid spindash/autocancel on the platform, he can bait YOU into blowing it and maybe hitting a shy guy so it doesn't work anymore. This is assuming you face an MK with great memory of stale moves, knows the matchup, gives a **** about getting hit with spindash and also wants to troll you for bothering to keep spindash fresh when you could have been spamming lagless 18 damage juggle starters.
If he goes high to avoid it/autocancel on the platform we can just release it, NOT hit a shyguy, and buffer a super safe fair underneath a platform, best-case scenario it shield pokes, does a bit of damage, sets him up for Uair Pressure, and adds another move to the queue, this being that you shouldn't even be really focusing on keeping it fresh, it's just a positive.

Actually, Tesh, Espy kinda has a point, do you mean to tell me that after knowing about this, that you seriously won't use it to your advantage against a Metaknight if given the opportunity?

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Because MKs worst stage is FD in general, it gives too much space to his opponents to avoid pressure, and there are no platforms for him to abuse his amazing platform pressure that he gets from Nado, Uair, and Nair. So generally, they tend to ban FD.

Personally, I'd MUCH rather fight an MK on FD, but only for personal preference, overall YI is probably still better.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Any player thats not a moron or a dk player bans yi against sonic.

Dash attack does crappy damage and doesnt combo into anything.

Getting one spindash to beat tornado perstock isnt going to change anything.

I mean its a cool tidbit to know but it really doesnt change anything.

:phone:

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
So Boxobairs/WedgeWallin', DownB>Nair>DownB Landlag punish>Nair (profit or keep it going), Dthrow techchase>death, platform drop shennanigans, and multiple things to dacus.

;)

True Blue

Smash Lord
10 bucks says we just get nado'd anyway
Lol

20 bucks says you get nado'd anyway :awesome:
LMAO

Why wouldn't the MK just ban YI to begin with?

I thought this was obvious. Though the MK can also do many more things than just Nado... Like stay on the top platform and if you approach him he could Invici Up B. lol. Anyways everyone bans Yoshi's against Sonic unless they don't know about it. Personally to me I have Yoshi's. Only reason I go there is if Ryo notices they didn't ban it or something he smacks me and says I should go there. But I hate playing there cause it makes me play campy and all of my matches there have always gone to time out or almost time out where the person just killed themselves to end it.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I can't stand timing out. The evasive playstyle is ridiculous. I almost had one (came down to last 25 secs) against a T.Link. It was the most aggrivating and boring match of my life. The "W" wasn't worth it and I went super aggro from then on, lost that set

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
But you try timing people out regardless of character. Like Suspect for example.
That was only ONE time, and I didn't even *try* to time him out, he just happened to counterpick me to RC, and I played the stage to my advantage.

Besides, Suspect exaggerates severely just how campy I am, but if you'd like to see me trying to time people out, I can definitely arrange that in tourney next time we play.

Edit: On 2nd thought, what the heck are you doing around here anyway? you don't main Sonic, nor do you 2nd him, get out of here :p

Edit2: No, now that I think about it, I don't dislike timing people out nearly as much as I used to, I just don't always feel the need to.
I actually *enjoy* timing out specific characters, primarily aerial ones that just float around not approaching, or CGers.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I can't stand timing out. The evasive playstyle is ridiculous. I almost had one (came down to last 25 secs) against a T.Link. It was the most aggrivating and boring match of my life. The "W" wasn't worth it and I went super aggro from then on, lost that set

You don't even have to try to time out Toon Link. If you are playing smart and the Toon Link doesn't suck, its gonna take a while anyway. You pulled an Espy giving the win away.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Pulled an Espy?
That would mean he'd have beaten the Tink.

I practically never lose to them. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
I only remember timing out Santi and getting reverse timed out by Illmatic. I also timed myself out in pools at HOBO last month.

@ Espy, Nikefest vs Jerm. You lost game 1 because you didn't want the time out. Then you won the set on a trip or something if I recall.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I lost game one because Jerm outplayed me. The time out was not guaranteed.
The trip won me the set, but I've also beaten Jerm numerous times, so it's not like that one set would've made a world of difference.

Just stop, Tesh. Your ridiculous emphasis on utilizing the timer is the reason why you don't play well. :applejack:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I've timed out the Ice Climbers player here in OK a couple of years back, when he was still in OK. Still one of my favorite matches.

I also make a point of wasting three minutes on the clock just evading **** if I'm playing a Lucario, then go in after that, nickel and diming him to death, then hauling *** for the last two minutes.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Edit: On 2nd thought, what the heck are you doing around here anyway? you don't main Sonic, nor do you 2nd him, get out of here :p
There's alot of people who go to other Socials and don't main or even secondary the character.
Or hell, don't even play brawl at all and still join the site just to converse. But if I need a reason to be in here...

Back in 2008 I used Sonic as a third character next to Lucario back when I was a wifi warrior. I even had a small little clan going over Youtube back in... 2009 (?) that was semi-serious on youtube and has some old members of the clan on this board as well (Like LordXavier).

My characters actually moved around alot from Yoshi Lucario and Sonic, taking Sonic out for ICs, then Snake Luigi Mario and Olimar.

True Blue

Smash Lord
My characters actually moved around alot from Yoshi Lucario and Sonic, taking Sonic out for ICs, then Snake Luigi Mario and Olimar.

Loving the sigs. Seeing this will make me think you would appreciate this.
http://kiro13.deviantart.com/#/d3l7xux

Have any of you timed out in a 10 minute match?

Normally I would only ever want to time out a D3 or IC's. But if our ruleset changed completely to japanese I don't think I would EVER time out lol. But would make me happier I guess lol. Oh and a Fox but that was cause we were both chasing each other and getting nowhere. It was like a a Dog chasing it's tail. lol

That would mean he'd have beaten the Tink.

I practically never lose to them. :applejack:
Man I suck against Toon Link. I hope you go to WHOBO cause I would like it if you could help me get better if you didn't mind taking the time out at any point.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I lost game one because Jerm outplayed me. The time out was not guaranteed.
The trip won me the set, but I've also beaten Jerm numerous times, so it's not like that one set would've made a world of difference.

Just stop, Tesh. Your ridiculous emphasis on utilizing the timer is the reason why you don't play well. :applejack:
I don't knw about that. I did alot better last year than this yea and that was when I was alot more about camping. Nowadays, I really don't have the patience to sit there for 24 minutes and do what must be done. I mostly just go in and keep going in, because I get bored in long matches.

It takes two though, if I wanna camp AND they wanna camp, fine lets time this **** out. If I'm winning with 30 seconds left, they should come to me. And then when I run to the other side of the stage, they should do it again. Obviously I'm ready to some extent to **** **** up when they overextend. Thats why I rarely ever go all the way to time.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Stop looking at the timer every two seconds and just fight.
Having your entire playstyle centralize around the clock only hinders you.
:applejack:

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I can't stand people who have an issue with trying to time out for the win. If you aren't willing to use the timer to your advantage then you aren't playing this character right. Speed was always fine before people got on his *** for timeouts, and look what happened when he stopped picking his ****.
THAT BEING SAID, this does not mean to go for the timeout every time. When the matchup allows it, rush the **** down and get in that ***. HOWEVER, this does mean gaining a decent percent lead and then holding side B and letting them come in is a legitimate, smart, and safe strategy and you shouldn't be worried about killing your opponent before the timer runs out, just not being the one behind when it runs out. We're playing Smash, not Hokuto no Ken.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Stop looking at the timer every two seconds and just fight.
Having your entire playstyle centralize around the clock only hinders you.
:applejack:
I'm all about the timer man. I 2nd Pokemon Trainer when I first popped up and now Wario. I can't let it leaves my sights every two seconds like you say.

True Blue

Smash Lord
I just recently started looking at the clock now but that is only against Wario's. Since I was being conditioned to look at the clock whenever I have a chance to learn when the farts happen. lol.

Top Bottom