• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
3rd out of 24 :)

I beat the peach n me n my crew got top 3.

Apparently I'm STILL bad @ the snake MU & my friends kno me -___-

& thanx 2 sum wario advice a few pages back I beat 1.

I spent the whole tourney just thinking(don't be predicatable) lol.

:sonic:

:phone:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Well I almost won the match against the diddy but couldnt stay safe enough on the last stock when I was making the come back. Placed 9th out of 31 i think. But sadly I felt I could have placed a little higher than that.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Ya everything was awesome

But you know why I'm here
To solidify flandre's awesomeness over reisen
You should change your avi ^^

BSP

Smash Legend
Care to elaborate?

IMO when you are vs. good teams and good doubles characters like MK, Snake, Wario, etc., Sonic just doesn't have any fast + high priority moves to deal/compete with sandwich situations that good teams put you in, and thus, you'll be running away and dodging a lot. I like an up close and personal style in dubs, so maybe it's just me, but I hate using the hedgehog in them >.>

Edit: of course, Sonic can usually escape most situations, but you can't run forever unfortunately.

Tesh

Smash Hero
He doesn't have good "gtfo" moves. He can spring/roll/jump etc. to trade a bad position for one not as bad, but he doesn't have a move that can just tell 2 or 3 people to give him some space. Which means he can't often get himself and his opponent out of a tough situation. If he isn't currently being threatened, he can always lend a hand quickly, getting across the stage so fast.

He definitely isn't one of the troubled mid tiers that gets alot better in doubles. The only things he really has going for him are just overall good survivability and mediocre support.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Sonic is decent in teams, just play him aggro in teams is not great really. Hes more so that character that carries people, supports, and live for a long time. Hes pretty mediocre in 2v1's as well.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Sonic is fine in teams with bulky teammates.
:snake:/:dk2:/:dedede:/:lucario: are all great partners.

The former 3 of the 4 are great in the sense that they can provide alot of good stage coverage with their massive size, large hitboxes and hard hitting moves. Their major flaw in getting juggled is minimized by Sonic's ability to "get there" to stop whatever gang up that is going on. Sonic should be creating openings through interruptions and getting out of dodge.

Lucario is a special case because he doesn't have a large frame or ridiculous strength until he's in the danger zone. However, Anubis works pretty well with Lucario/Sonic especially on stages like Picto and YI.

/.02

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
I visited Espy last Friday, he's holding up alright. He's probably busied himself with the KH2 Proud Mode he challenged himself to since then to check online as much. Some of SA will be meeting up with him this Saturday, but no problems so far.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Sonic can team with basically EVERYONE IMO.

The only thing is that we just have to play 2 survive like in singles. We hit... run... hit.... gtfo... hit... help teammate... repeat.

BTW

@Kinzer W...T... & F???

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ya everything was awesome

But you know why I'm here
To solidify flandre's awesomeness over reisen
You should change your avi ^^

Hmm?

D'oh, I'll concede that you're better at me at Barlw. c:

But you must be insane if you think I'll go that far for anyone else. On the flipside, you must be crazy if you think I'm not crazy for something that technically doesn't exist, but I'm much too attached and infatuated to admit it in any other instance immediately relevant.

Besides, I like this one I have, and I couldn't find a good replacement.

What are yall's opinions of Sonic in doubles?
He's-

No sir, that would be you.

In truth, Sonic is alright.

If you want a better teammate, look higher up on the tier-list. But if you want the best well-rounded, non-high-tier character, you can't go wrong with him. He can do anything and everything you need minus getting kills. He can tank, he can disrupt, he can rack up damage; he's a very good support character. I don't know how good he is at making a presence, but maybe through the given that he can be everywhere and be annoying, he should be alright in that department.

This is coming from a guy who hates doubles.

@Kinzer W...T... & F???

Nothing to worry about.

BSP

Smash Legend
Thanks for the input guys. I really want to make him work in doubles...it just feels so odd for me.

Although, I did team with an MK once with Sonic and it felt really good. I just focused on support more like you guys said. I guess it's really teammate dependent.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Basically all you honestly need is someone you can work with. Someone that can be aggro and then you can come in and support. but then again they just have to compliment your playing style to be honest.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Sonic can team with basically EVERYONE IMO.

The only thing is that we just have to play 2 survive like in singles. We hit... run... hit.... gtfo... hit... help teammate... repeat.

BTW

@Kinzer W...T... & F???

You can't generally have a narrow mind like that in teams, teams is more of taking advantage of certain situations that leave you opponents teammate vulnerable to easy gimps, "combo's", or making the decision to approach you and your partner. Of Course I cant be talking since I suck at doubs anyways

I honestly think sonic's team game is pretty solid compared to some others, great interrupt tool, people generally dont di in teams too unless its like a kill more or etc.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I just do my own thing in Doubles. Seems to me that Sonic's only good for retracting from offense and switching to support for the teammate when he's under pressure.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Sonic is good in doubles. I'm not going to bother explaining why, because I leave book-writing to people like BAM and Kinzer.
I used to bookwrite. But then....ah screw it. lol

Sonic is a great doubles character. He mixes well with most characters, and you may call me crazy? But he's also pretty decent in 2 vs 1 situations as well. In a lot of cases, you can manipulate your opponents all by yourself. To me it's like fighting an even more difficult Ice Climbers. Start ****** one and then the other will follow trying to capitalize. Remain aware, pick your battles and switch up between them. Pick your fights and keep in mind that in doubles you'd probably have 5 or so minutes anyway for how fast those matches can go by.

My most successful teams with Sonic were Snake, Pikachu and Peach (yeah, call me crazy again. Peach. she has great aerial control while I govern the ground. Not to mention it's so easy to save her if she happens to be floating to her death after an up+b fails to recover. One UAir is all it takes and I've protected her and I have one of the best recoveries in the game.)

For me, these are the pros and cons of Sonic in doubles, and the best style is passive-aggro.

Pros

• Builds damage nicely amidst chaos
• Can land kills easier amidst chaos
• Above average ground control
• Decent stock tank
• momentum-disturber if partner is in trouble with Sonic's speed
• severely underrated saver role with his amazing recovery after UAir/FAir/Springing his falling partner (and that says something for a character who only has one double jump by comparison to MK)
• 2 vs. 1 works like Ice Climbers played by two human players, commonly switching between one or the other to reduce danger of losing stocks
• Sonic the Jihad (exclusive to Snake & Sonic. lol)

Cons

• Kills may be easier, but still more difficult to come by in comparison to higher tier'd castmates
• most aerial moves are punishable due to their cooldown (even if hitting one opponent, if the other one is there, you're punished and in trouble)
• Spring in 2 vs. 1 puts you in a terrible position. dodge one, get hit by the other on the way down.

...not gonna lie, I'm having a hard time thinking of other cons. Now this is all my opinion and how I treat doubles for Sonic. But really, Sonic is a great doubles partner. he has two people to capitalize on if mistakes are made.

Anyone's free to say what they will, but straight up? I know what I'm doing with my character.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
If he had better kills moves or set-up's for kills, or a 5 frame d-smash that killed he would be so much better. In doubs.

Thing is I love teaming with sonics. lol. Meek baby aib ladder one day <3

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'd rather have an aerial with a similar startup, duration, and cooldown as Marth's Fair or the Mario Bros. Uair. Having 40+ frame moves for Sonic's entire aerial moveset sans Bair bugs me a lot.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Mk gets a frame 5 down smash that kills at 130. Sonic gets a frame 16 down smash that kills at 145...

Sounds about right...

I mean there's a lot of small tweaks that you could give him that would make him fair and balenced without having to change everything.

I mean, honestly. I feel like if all you did was change his current dair, to be exactly the same but give the same knockback as zss's dair, that would fix everything

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Here are the changes I'd make to Sonic.

3 frame down smash that kills at 145 (it can kill the same. just make it come out faster)
Make BAir come out faster
Make Homing Attack jump/special cancellable
When grabbed out of spring you're not in a helpless animation and regain your up+B

There. Sonic's got buffs that makes him a better character without breaking him. Give him these and he's upper mid/high tier.

Top Bottom