• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you enjoyed Daytime levels of Unleashed, you'll probably find a day to waste on this game.

They actually made the gimmicks not gimmicky and work too. It only sucks if you try to get all the Red Medals/S Rank but otherwise the levels play out fairly well. Admittingly, it does seem repetitive, but I don't mind playing the same good gameplay over and over. Definitely a huge improvement over what they've been putting out as of the last couple of years.

I'm going to see if getting all S Ranks/Red Medals do anything other than give you cheap replay value.

Shut up, I'm an oldman***.

I don't know what gameplay videos you're watching, but it's certainly nothing of a fast-paced platformer.

There is nothing that I could complain about this game other than it being really short (I played it today at 2, it's almost 10 and I'm supposedly finished with playing through all the levels not including the Sonic Simulator).

Camera worked decently, things behaved as expected (except in one case where I lazered myself into the wall in the first level but I haven't been able to replicate it. I didn't have to reset the game to get out either), dialogue; although not in any way impacting the gameplay, is comical, and lastly just some good clean fun.

Yeah, I'd say 9/10 is reasonable. The game was just too short and the levels needed just a little bit more variety. Maybe something like mini-games or something but I am not gonna lie, replay value ain't looking too promising.

:093:
What you are describing doesn't sound like 9/10. Lets say your favorite game in the world is a 10/10. I mean if we assume no game is perfect, I would rank Brawl as a 9/10 game. Its got a hell of alot of content, lots of game modes, free online, HUGE replay value, nice graphics for this system.

The gameplay I'm talking about is basically the the repetitive running and jumping and spamming homing attack. The levels are VERY short from what I saw. The difficulty looks like 2/10. It looks vibrant and the background looks really creative, but unlike SMG and SMG2 you aren't running around and playing on that creative scenery. It looks like towards the end the quality of gameplay rivals tutorial levels in SMG.

Sure Colors is like 9/10 by recent Sonic game standards, but if we compare it to other games out there, how would you all rank it?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Browny and Tesh remind me of those Sonic fans who only know how to ***** about the games, and nothing else.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What you are describing doesn't sound like 9/10. Lets say your favorite game in the world is a 10/10. I mean if we assume no game is perfect, I would rank Brawl as a 9/10 game. Its got a hell of alot of content, lots of game modes, free online, HUGE replay value, nice graphics for this system.

The gameplay I'm talking about is basically the the repetitive running and jumping and spamming homing attack. The levels are VERY short from what I saw. The difficulty looks like 2/10. It looks vibrant and the background looks really creative, but unlike SMG and SMG2 you aren't running around and playing on that creative scenery. It looks like towards the end the quality of gameplay rivals tutorial levels in SMG.

Sure Colors is like 9/10 by recent Sonic game standards, but if we compare it to other games out there, how would you all rank it?
Honestly now, this is were our opinions differ. Sonic Colors on its own is a decent game. Compared to others, sure it may not be a God send, but who gives a crap? The whole point isn't to make comparisons, it's to enjoy what you have. Or at the very least make the most of it, because with even as good as I (attempt to) make it look, some people may not be turned on by how all the levels play too similarly. That's just one problem too that I find with the game, I'm sure others may have different/more complaints with the game, but oh wells.

... Oh, and I didn't even think about how easy the game was. They rehashed two, maybe three bosses and gave them two different textures. Lol. Oh well. I guess that's part of Sega's plan to please the old ***s like me but keep the new, perhaps younger fanbase. I didn't mind though, I enjoyed myself since I knew what I needed to do to bring the bosses down.

For marketing purposes, it's understandable. If I wanted to challenge myself, I'd go play Touhou or something. I do suppose not everybody can be pleased with that either, and the S Ranks/Medals aren't exactly something even the hard-cores want to shoot for (unless there's a reward for them which I've yet to find out. Doesn't change that it's frustrating though...).

It actually makes me feel even better knowing that I got quick bragging rights to say "I beat Sonic Colors in 8 hours (and mind you, it wasn't all just one sitting)." After a while I tend to get frustrated that I'm making little progress, stop playing the game/give up on beating it, and then it hangs on myself, taunting me...

That may be my fault though, and if the game was/is overall good I should have no excuse for not playing it through to the end. I'm not talking specifically of Colors, just the way I play/enjoy games in general

Regardless-

I say all that, because to me, Brawl is a terrible game on its own (using this example since you brought it up). It's only given an average rating by me if I consider that Sonic alone is a fighter. I could argue about how all your points are a terrible reason that you rate the game a 9/10, but it is your opinion; which I respect.

Personally the only replay value I see in this game are practicing the advanced techniques and competing with others with something on the line. Friendly matches for the sake of ncreasing competition and competition strength, sure, but otherwise I love the challenge.

I do not enjoy how Subspace is so long and drawn out, the random elements of the game, and assuming it isn't a party game in disguise, the balance is just atrocious. The extra content like special/target mode may keep a child's attention for a day but I'm far too old to appreciate lackluster add-ons. Nevermind that the programmers left so many errors in the game it's questionable if they were even trying before they released it to the masses to get their quick buck.

... Gotta give credit where credit is due though. Brawl did at the very least make a couple of improvements from Melee that were more than just change of engine. Being able to take snapshots without a dedicated game mode for example was a huge bonus. I do also appreciate that you don't need an absurd amount of tech skill to get to where you want to be. To be legitimately good at Melee feels like it has to be a second life, otherwise there's little point in playing it for competitive "fun." Melee was nice when I was young, but I guess I'm getting too old for all this "kiddy" stuff or something.

... Oh who am I kidding? 64 for lyfe son.

... Now this is a huge rant that serves very little purpose other than to bring up a couple of more points I forgot to address at first; like the difficulty.

Browny

Smash Hater
idk man

I play Dragon Age, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 and then I see Sonic Colours... its like, wtf is this for real? In 2010 when I pay full price for a game its supposed to be amazing and have 30+ hours of gameplay, tons of intractivity, meaningful choices, being reasonably difficult, flashy graphics, great MP or at least most of them.

When you consider great games these days which rate 9/10 or higher often have all of the above and Sonic Colours seems to have 0... Meh

I still think Sega should take a WHOLE NEW direction with sonic. All these recent 3d games are the same pre-2000 formula.

Not hating, I just think you guys are looking at this from an extremely narrow field of view. If you play some of the game I listed above or any other 90+ rated game that came out this year and would STILL rate colours in the same league as them, well I guess being a Sonic fanboy runs deeper than I can comprehend lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, sure you might appreciate the random casual stuff about Brawl, but thats the beauty of it. For all the things you don't care for in this game, it CLEARLY has something for you, something for me, something for your little sister. Its fun, its challenging when you want it to be, and so what it has a game mode that is complete trash. Its got SOOOO much more.

Subspace is a new mode tossed in with all the good stuff. If sonic colors was a trash platformer like SSE + a bunch of other stuff including the core gameplay, it would be good. But, sadly its just a trash platformer is ONE character. At least Brawl comes with a trash platformer with 35+ characters. For that matter, how is Sonic Colors even better than SSE?

Between the 1st level of Sonic 1 and the 2nd level, there is more creativity than you get in this game. I like sonic too, but its like they arent even trying anymore. This game just happens to be not "horrible" like being a werehog. I wanna play a good Sonic game too, but I'm still waiting for Sega to release another one.

If you look at other another series that has been around for a long time (mario) you see its not the same stuff over and over. Mario got even BETTER when it went 3D. They added gameplay elements and they didn't tell you to just land on goombas for 10 hours that you payed 50 dollars for.

Sonic Colors= Bad interactive movie

I'm a fan of Sonic, not every half baked idea that Sega paints his name on.

:scared:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Come to think about it, the genesis Sonic games had the most replayability for me as a kid.

But you know what I played? I played debug mode. Without it, I didn't really play the game all too much lol.

Debug Mode doesn't exist anymore.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Come to think about it, the genesis Sonic games had the most replayability for me as a kid.

But you know what I played? I played debug mode. Without it, I didn't really play the game all too much lol.

Debug Mode doesn't exist anymore.
Sure it does Tenki.

It's called hacks.

Alright, Pre-Calculus time now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i've never actually played a sonic game before o.o
thats cool with me. any body that wants to rep sonic is fine by me.
... Must... resist... elitist... tempt... ta... tio-

Ah to Hell with this!

Get out, right now! Go home and play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and be an epilepsy-inducing hedgehog... man... thingy...!

gdnihnuhuh8uuphdhijo[htedjrtu

In the mean time, I'll play Colors. I heard good things about it.

you , shut up.

Stingers. Get the hell out of here.
and you, go suck a cats **** or something.

dont listen to them son.
There should be a qualification process for being a god **** Sonic main.

What stingers is doing borderlines of mother-****ing heresy.
HERESY!

wow. over reaction guy. there IS a qualification process to be a sonic main...

i'm 17 lol.
'cept in brawl, hes pretty fun
there it is right there. if you find the character enjoyable, you can be a sonic main.

Son, that ain't nothing. Everybody can vouch for me when I say I've written much, much, much more than a short game review.

Edit: Now my chance to use this! I'm the Yukkuri.

you should see him when he starts talking about how much his life sucks, this kid could write a college disseration on how depressing he is.
So Sonic colors legit? I was watching gameplay vids of it and i actually dont know if i should buy it now. I like Sonic Adventure like open 3d worlds that are interactive and you can explore. It didn't seem like that. Robotnik is too good though in the cutscenes, they did a good job with them. It seemed like they put more effort into the backgrounds than the actual platforms and levels seemed repetitive. I wish they would make sonic adventure 3.

the game is fun. I played it for about 2 hours today. and i liked it alot. its flashy, its fun, its kinda hard at some points, ( I game overed on one level.)
it has the best story for a sonic game (eggman has a plot, sonic wants to stop him) characters are well written, its funny. its everything a sonic game should be.

Browny and Tesh remind me of those Sonic fans who only know how to ***** about the games, and nothing else.

this.

if you dont like it dont play it. but if youre expecting every game out there to be the best thing ever, i dont know why youre getting mad that your expectations arent being met, as they are clearly set too high. just take it for what it is. a really fun game. and if its not good enough for you. feel free to break out your genesis'/dreamcasts/emulators

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

this.

if you dont like it dont play it. but if youre expecting every game out there to be the best thing ever, i dont know why youre getting mad that your expectations arent being met, as they are clearly set too high. just take it for what it is. a really fun game. and if its not good enough for you. feel free to break out your genesis'/dreamcasts/emulators
Finally, someone sets the record straight!

Trent

Smash Champion

THANK you. Best paragraph of the month. Sonic fans need to stfu and stop expecting god's gift to the world.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Sonic games are generally bad.... *waits for flame*. Iv never really liked them ESPECIALLY since the classics.

but iv heard good things about colors, so i guess we will see.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sonic Mega Collection has S3, S&K, and S3&K as separate games, so if that game is a priority, getting SMC is worth it, assuming you can find it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
As long as you don't mind not having S3&K as one game, then sure.

They come seperate. :urg:
im more so interested in getting alot of the originals sonic 1/2 isnt in it :(?

whats the difference between having them separate/together??

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Mega-Co...LU9B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290108161&sr=8-1

^^^ i found it, i can probably find it as a used game or new if im lucky. I'll be out in about on black friday to pick up;

golden eye 007/sonic colors/ and sonic mega if i can find it

i need to save up to also buy this;

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighte...TF8&coliid=I2NALS4XAR1MHE&colid=3ISMCDKTHS50T

Tenki

Smash Hero
I am surprised no one seemed excited Super Sonic was in Colors.

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
Someone posted a spoiler vid earlier. That might be why lol.

Also, if they missed it, then the people who did know were being purposely vague about it.

:p

im more so interested in getting alot of the originals sonic 1/2 isnt in it :(?

whats the difference between having them separate/together??
If they (Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles) are together, you can use the same save file from Sonic 3 and continue the game in Sonic in Knuckles.

If they're not, then you have to start the whole game from the beginning.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Chis you're not cool enough to be Ron Burdandy. You're not even

Also is Sonic Colours fun without being mindnumbingly easy?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yes it is, I beat the bosses pretty much with out knowing what was going on but the actual levels had a fair amount of difficulty and thought put into them.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't think Kinzer broke it to you guys that D3 can Dthrow CG-->Usmash Sonic guaranteed. Pobreciiiiito.

e is a magic number.
Good luck catching a Sonic.
And yeah, we found out about this sometime yesterday. It was linked.
But still. Good luck catching a Sonic.

I am surprised no one seemed excited Super Sonic was in Colors.

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!
It was pretty much spoiled by Tenki awhile back.

@KID: lol, I was ****ing around, and I know you know it.
Since when do I seriously use the word heresy?

Seriously though, stingers should at least play 1-K. They're all great.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
then why are you trying to play sonic in the first place.

sonic is probably in the top tier in terms of how hard you have to work to win.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
peach =]
i was PRed last season but I went all mewtwo this season for no reason cuz I'm dumb lol.
but I'm going back to peach cuz someone who SUCKS got PRed and I can't have people thinking NC is really that bad
;)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hahahaha
thats not true at all though =p

NC has really good players in both games
Brawl has kadaj and sushi man
Melee has lozr and everlasting yay

and then pp lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Because they all enjoy having the Genesis games shoved up their ***** daily.
Obviously.

It's really probably because those games were just the most memorable Sonic games anyone played back in the day.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Having owned and played Sonic 1,2 and 3 I don't see why everyone goes on about them like they're the best thing since sliced bread.

They were good games but come on. Well, not Sonic 2 but you know what I mean.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Old mario games are better than old sonic games anyway. Sonic is just too late jumping on every bandwagon in sight.

Top Bottom