• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seven things I can't stand

highfive

Smash Lord
<.< I'm amazed Sarah Palin's commentaries aren't in the top 3. I don't care for her party but dang some of the stuff she says is just outright dumb.

Erm... You seem very paradoxal on some of the things you state. Such as on 5 and 6. you hate anime freaks and criticize them for their anime yet you go on to say that DnD is awesome and no body should make fun of it when they haven't tried it (something along those lines)

Have you ever tried to see it from the anime fans POV?

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
NO, no desu or kawaii, for the love of everything manly and awesome.

For Arnie's sake.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
yea but OP alot of those serious adult comics were banned in the early 50s. =\ Theres a couple of laws regarding what comic content can be now adays. Thanks to that bull**** that happend in the 50s the comic industry never really recovered since then

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
<.< I'm amazed Sarah Palin's commentaries aren't in the top 3. I don't care for her party but dang some of the stuff she says is just outright dumb.

Erm... You seem very paradoxal on some of the things you state. Such as on 5 and 6. you hate anime freaks and criticize them for their anime yet you go on to say that DnD is awesome and no body should make fun of it when they haven't tried it (something along those lines)

Have you ever tried to see it from the anime fans POV?
highfive makes an excellent point.

He deserves a highfive.

finalark

SNORLAX
To making things clear: the thing that annoys me about anime/managa fans are the hard-core ones that love anything that was animated in Japan and think that everything else is trash. And before everyone attacks me with "generalization" I'm not saying that all anime fans are like that. And yes, I have met and talked with people who are conviced that everything that is anime is amazing reguardless of wither or not there's any quaility to it. And they refuse to look into anything esle because anime is so much better than novels, film, ect.

I love how I ***** about seven things and the only two that are getting attacked are anime and WoW. I also love that almost everyone who is trying to get at my throat about number six has an anime avatar.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
yes people who like anime are defending holy **** that is insane ive never heard of that

VietGeek

Smash Hero
guys

let's all sit down here for a moment

and reflect upon the past, present, and future

everyone knows koreaophiles are the newest thing now

japan? pfffttt. ***** please, this ain't 1997 no more.

Girl's Generation's popularity has nothing to do with the overload of cuteness; the fact that the male demographic is all over them is completely irrelevant too. :012:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
i'm going to join the flame war yayyyyyy.

You know what I've grown to hate? The love for single player FPS games. There's so many and people keep buying them and I hate them! Stop making so many :mad:. IMO (I know most people will severely disagree with me), despite the huge number of FPS games constantly released, the FPS genre has evolved very little over the last 10 years. Especially when compared to other genres. It almost feels like people perpetually buy the same game with a marginally improved coat of paint and new story. And the stories aren't even that good. Single player FPS games are like expensive productions of Pro Evo or Madden.

(in case anyone gets mad, my opinion is exaggerated and i don't actually care that much. i just felt like going with the flow of the topic)

john!

Smash Hero
i'm going to join the flame war yayyyyyy.

You know what I've grown to hate? The love for single player FPS games. There's so many and people keep buying them and I hate them! Stop making so many :mad:. IMO (I know most people will severely disagree with me), despite the huge number of FPS games constantly released, the FPS genre has evolved very little over the last 10 years. Especially when compared to other genres. It almost feels like people perpetually buy the same game with a marginally improved coat of paint and new story. And the stories aren't even that good. Single player FPS games are like expensive productions of Pro Evo or Madden.

(in case anyone gets mad, my opinion is exaggerated and i don't actually care that much. i just felt like going with the flow of the topic)
100% agreed. Probably my biggest pet peeve in all of video games.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
i actually really enjoy fps still now a days. my favorite probably being halo -- the halo series all in all is very good in fact. i also played a bit of cod modern warfare and cod modern warfare 2 a bit with a few friends recently. i found the 2nd one a bit of a step back in the multiplayer though (not sure about the story mode since I never actually played them) it's kind of weird to play it in that sense.

as for sports games the only one i really enjoyed recently was way back in 2007 -- it was a baseball game i think, 2k6 or something. i want the new tiger woods game for the wii though - i heard a lot of good things about that.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
So many stupid people in this thread! There is absolutely no hypocrisy in the OP. I thought that was fairly obvious when reading it.

Mathis

Smash Rookie
[Something generalizing the collective stupidity in this thread.]

[Something about hating myself.]

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I love how I ***** about seven things and the only two that are getting attacked are anime and WoW. I also love that almost everyone who is trying to get at my throat about number six has an anime avatar.
I actually loled after reading this because I forgot that I currently have an anime avatar. For the record though, I don't watch anime that much. I do have friends who do however which is why I bothered to comment in the first place. I think the obsessive anime watchers you're referring to are a little more hardcore than the people I know however, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Is the time when I say Final Fantasy VII has terrible gameplay for the Final Fantasy series, and has a overly complex but doesn't need to be plot, (which is summed up nicely in a way in an extra of FFVII:ACC), the characters except Sephiroth, Red XIII, and in a sense Tifa who have personality's (although I did laugh at Barret quite a bit), and Red XIII only got like one line in the film, so that was a great way for Square to treat one of it's best developed and most engaging characters from that game. I only played a slight bit of FFVI, or at least I think it was that one, was sort of steampunk-ish at the beginning, with like small villages with trains and stuff.

And I've never played WoW, but I'm not a fan of that type of game, or online games as a whole, so it isn't my cup of tea. That said, I did enjoy Warcraft 2, and what little I played of the 3rd one was more impressive.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ The only thing I don't like about FF VII is the random encounters that happens randomly when your walking. The rest I enjoy. As games have a large fan base, there those who dislike a popular game for they're own reason or because of the fans themselves, Halo for example. ♥

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
Played WoW, didn't like it. I hate on it.
Now, isn't it justified?

FFVII is quite a subjective thing. Whether it was INNOVATIVE or not does not change the fact that many people liked it. I did, and never finished it.

Why would every single game be extremely innovative? According to your statements, if it's more traditional, it sucks. At the very least, get some better arguments for christ's sake.

I agree with the weebos, but they have the right to truly learn the language if they want to understand foreign cartoons. What if I were to learn the language to play foreign videogames? Following your logics, in order to learn a language we need to visit the country.

Please, oh PLEASE.

Other than that, I agree. Comic books are awesome. Marvel movies suck compared to them.

Also, I'd like to ask... Did you like James Cameron's Avatar?
(That's a test. indeed. Just a Pocahontas ripoff with special effects. Not very innovative, just like your generic anime!)

Geist

Smash Master
Hey you know whats really fun? When talking to a hardcore anime fan, accidentally refer to anime as a cartoon. Oh man, they HATE that.

Also, john!'s sig is amazing.

finalark

SNORLAX
Played WoW, didn't like it. I hate on it.
Now, isn't it justified?
Yes.

I believe my qoutes from the offical thread in the Media Metropolis would help in this matter:

I was about to barge into this thread raising hell about how the movie is an overrated half-***** film with a plot so chiche that it might as well have been an anime and a pro-green message that shoved down your throat to the point when ever the most extream invromentalists would call it a bit much, but this guy pretty much summed it up for me.
The put no effort into the characters or plot. The characters were, as Skyler said, walking sterotypes. And the fact that the story was exactly the same as Dances with Wolves and about ten other movies.
His disability had hardly anything to do with his conflict over if which sides he should choose (well, okay, that's not entirely true). It only played a small part, this character has been done before. A guy who's stuck between two worlds and has to choose between his people and outsiders when things get bad. If this sounds familiar, that's because it's a cliche.
Sorry sir, but I cannot agree that it's like seening this story again for the first time. While yes, the world was highly imaginitive, I found that it did not destract from such poor writing and characters.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Boy, this thread is pretty heated. I see your points, but.......

Geez, it's such a negative outlook on life. Seriously, instead of complaining about it and offending people (although it is largely based on misinterperatation)........

Go eat an ice cream cone or something.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Boy, this thread is pretty heated. I see your points, but.......

Geez, it's such a negative outlook on life. Seriously, instead of complaining about it and offending people (although it is largely based on misinterperatation)........

Go eat an ice cream cone or something.
It's not negative to vent about things once every so often.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Okay, I didn't want to read all 5 pages, but here's what I feel:

7) Can't say anything. I don't know much about Dragonforce or their songs. I know how you feel, though. I liked Guitar Hero before it was popular (GH1, baby), and the whole GH craze was insane.
#1 - "LOL YEAH, DUDE, SWEET CHILD OF MINE!"
#2 - "LOL YEAH, DUDE, I LOVE GUNS 'N' ROSES!"
#3 - "Yeah, I enjoy most of their 'Appetite for Destruction' album."
#1 - "DUDE, WTF IS THAT?"

Exaggeration, yes, but still.

6) I agree. Manga > anime, anyways, ahahaa. I'm fine with people who watch anime a lot and enjoy it, but FREAKS are too much. But you're a little too cynical about the "all the characters and plots are the same" thing. Most stories nowadays are like that if you get down to the nitty-gritty details about them.

5) Never played DnD. Always wanted to and actually try it. I think there's a DnD thing online now?

4) i liek comix

3) I enjoyed FFVII, but I do agree that it's not the greatest thing ever. I could never get into the previous FF's, though, though I hear FFVI is good (which I want to, but FFIX atm, lol), but the first four or so are, like, >_>

2) I want to learn Japanese. >_> Yes, I want to read/watch manga/anime in it's "pure form" but it's mostly because I'm tired of waiting for translators and there's usually RAW out faster (duh) than the translated/sub'd versions. Plus, if I'm going to be spending so much time reading/watching the anime, learning the language would be big for learning the culture, and all the translations would be done properly (such as culture references).

1) Tried WoW on a private server with normal rates. Couldn't get into it. Didn't like it. But I could understand why some people could get really into, though. I probably need a better computer, too, lol and more friends. My biggest pet peeve about WoW is when I say, "Hey, I play DotA" and people reply with, "What's that?" I tell them, "It's a game for Warcraft" and they AUTOMATICALLY RESPOND WITH "YOU PLAY WOW?!" I could digress, but I won't.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I'm not a big anime fan(save Bleach) and i do agree that Manga>>>>>anime. However, from what i've seen, most animes don't really seem to be the same. I'm just wondering, how do you think they're all the same?

I will note, however, i've only watched like 4 animes in my life.

NoriakiZ

Smash Cadet
Link to original post: [drupal=3103]Seven things I can't stand[/drupal]

Hello people, I'm just blowing off some steam with this blog so if I seem particularly aggressive try not to get too offended. So yeah, for those of you who want to hear me out, here's seven things that I just can't stand.

6: Anime freaks

God, I can't stand anime freaks. This group can't tell a good story from their left shoe. It doesn't help that a majority of anime is predicable, poorly written and has flat, stereotypical characters. And let's not forget the fact that a majority of anime all looks the same. Sure, a handful of series do have their own distinct style but for the most part ALL ANIME LOOKS THE SAME. But don't tell that to an anime fan, because they will get at your throat and tell you that you are wrong despite any and all evidence you have to back up your argument.

3: Final Fantasy VII

... ugh, those of you who have read my previous blog posts can skill right over this. You already know what I'm going to say. For the rest of you, GET OVER IT. This game is a fairly average RPG. The only reason why it's still alive today is starry-eye nostalgia and hard-core fanboys who refuse to let go. I mean come on! The story is all over the map, the characters are all flat as paper (with a few exceptions, Tifa was pretty well developed, as was Red XII) and the plot structure is terrible. Sure, there were a few good ideas in the game play, such as Materia, but overall the game play really wasn't anything new. And stop throwing around the word "innovative" when trying to make FFVII sound awesome. This game didn't do ANYTHING that hadn't been done in any previous RPGs with perhaps the exception of Materia and the magical "fixed camera" that too many other PS1-era RPGs would imitate. I think the thing that really gets to me are the obsessive fanboys who refuse to acknowledge the fact that there are TWELVE OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES.

2: Japanofiles

Before you start throwing comments such as "racist" at me, I'll have you know that three of my good friends are Japanese, and I have nothing against them. What I do have a hate for are people who are 100% convinced that Japan is the greatest country in the world because of their CARTOONS. First of all, ANIME ISN'T REAL. Real Japanese people don't talk like that, and a lot of them act just like normal people. Yeah, there's some really weird Japanese people out there but in my personal experience they're just like you and me. Yes, there's some (note: SOME) good anime out there but to say that an entire country is the best thing in the world just because of it is stupid. It's like saying that England is the most amazing place in the world just because it's where the Lord of the Rings is from. I also hate it when Japanofiles try to incorporate Japanese into their everyday speech or learn the language just so they can watch "pure" versions of their favorite Japanese cartoons. Sure, I'm planning on learning the language soon but that's because I'm visiting the country with one of my Japanese friends, not so I can watch foreign cartoons.

I agree with everything you just said. Nos. 2, 3, and 6 is basically my Anime Manga & Video game club.

:-(

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Am I the only one on the internet who thinks Anime > Manga because it involves less reading and moving images, and also not feeling the need to learn Japanese?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Am I the only one on the internet who thinks Anime > Manga because it involves less reading and moving images, and also not feeling the need to learn Japanese?
1. Less reading isn't necessarily a good thing if you like reading.

2. When do you need to learn Japanese to read manga? There are internet translations and they sell English manga...

(Do note, however, that I do not read much manga nor do I watch much anime.)

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
It's kind of weird how half of the list is composed of hating 'the haters.'

and the other half is composed of things you hate.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
hmm, you put anime lovers and WoW haters on your list of annoyances, while I would do the reverse.

And by the way, what series (plural) of anime did you watch?

Oh, and I agree with your #2.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Link to original post: [drupal=3103]Seven things I can't stand[/drupal]

7: Through the Fire and the Flames

Agreed, but that's not the main reason I hate it. I just really don't like how Dragonforce's 2 newest albums are all basically a bunch of repeats of the same song throughout the entire album. For Inhuman Rampage, it was TTFAF, and for Ultra Beatdown, it was Heroes of Our Time.

Sonic Firestorm is my favorite, and Fury of the Storm is probably my favorite song from them.

6: Anime freaks

I can't stand most of the really obsessed people, but its really about the same with regular shows, to be honest. As long as they have good taste in anime/live action shows, I'm ok with them.

5: DnD Haters

I love a good game of DnD, but it really all depends on who the dungeon master is.

4: Comic Book ignorance

This. 100 times this.

3: Final Fantasy VII

I enjoyed FF7, but yeah, it definitely isn't the best FF. In fact, I even liked Tales of Symphonia better.

Its still a good game to play if you don't have anything else.

2: Japanofiles

Once again, agreed. However, I'm learning Japanese for not only the reason that you're doing it, but also because I prefer to watch anime without subtitles.

It isn't for "purity", but because I generally prefer the Japanese voice actors over the English ones.

1: World of Warcraft haters

I actually enjoyed WoW, but I didn't see myself paying 15 bucks a month for it.

The original Warcraft games were great, though, and I still play them.

My replies are in Bold/Pink.

You're a pretty cool dude.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
(That's a test. indeed. Just a Pocahontas ripoff with special effects. Not very innovative, just like your generic anime!)
I'd say it's more like Ferngully 2....IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!

:034:

finalark

SNORLAX
It's kind of weird how half of the list is composed of hating 'the haters.'

and the other half is composed of things you hate.
2/7 =/= "half." You fail basic algerbra forever.

/Sarcasim

hmm, you put anime lovers and WoW haters on your list of annoyances, while I would do the reverse.

And by the way, what series (plural) of anime did you watch?

Oh, and I agree with your #2.
I have seen a lot of anime (too many to list), most of them are reccomendations from my anime-fan friend. A majority of them were terrible, predictable, cliche, and they all had characters who were one dimentional at best. As for series that I actually liked....

- Case Closed (because I love a good mystery)
- Devil May Cry (because I find the over-the-top violence to be entertaining)
- Fist of the North Star (YOUR HEAD ASPLODE!)
- Bleach? (I don't know, I've only seen a little bit of this series, not enough to really judge it yet)
- One Piece (until it got overly long)

Other than that, the rest of the anime series that I've seen that I liked I saw when I was much younger. And EVERYTHING is cool when you're a kid.

Just a question, why do you not like WoW fans? Sure, there are some of my fellow Warcraft fans that I really don't like but if you're basing your dislike of the fanbase off of sterotypes and minimal interaction then that is kind of silly.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Ahaha I want to comment on all those manga/anime (besides Devil May Cry because I never read/watched that). Before I rant, I do enjoy all of them.

Case Closed/Detective Conan - If you actually look back on the manga, you'll see the author's gone 600 or so chapters without progressing the story too far, LOL

Hokuto No Ken - This thing is just pure awesome. Only problem I have with it is that I can't find anywhere with all the chapters.

Bleach - Good, gets better later, goes down, then starting to come back up imo although shaky.

OP - If you're reading the manga, there's basically a huge battle (won't spoil much/anything) and there's so much crazy moves that you can't tell what's going on 90% of the time, lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
Case Closed/Detective Conan - If you actually look back on the manga, you'll see the author's gone 600 or so chapters without progressing the story too far, LOL
Well if you're reading/watching Case Closed to see a plot move forward and progress into a conclusion, then you have compleately missed the point.

You know, I also liked Ghost Stories. The English dub anyway, granted the humor in the later episodes gets so vulgar to the point where they're trying to sell the humor based soley off of the "shock value" of it all. I'll admit though, a majority of the series is pretty entertaining, and addicting, and enjoyable to watch.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Well not for that reason but I do like the action and fight scene to be in motion while I'm enjoying it. Nothing against manga, I just like anime better.

Top Bottom