• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Milos

Smash Lord
new york city has super high living costs, that's why i live in the burbs haha

everywhere else is relatively cheap if you dont count those high priced beach homes and you ignore the hamptons entirely.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
yo how do you peeps work on your peripheral when playing becuase i know your supposed to me watching you opponent more than your character,that's mad difficult..i was talking to Lucien about that

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
I am currently a junior at Purdue in CS, I also work a side job as an asp.net/c# programmer for Purdue's network. The job is nice because my boss understands we are still students and knows that school comes before work, so I have a pretty flexible schedule. I work about 13-15 hours a week during the year, and full time over the summer.

Not sure what I wanna do when I graduate, or what area to specialize in.

I would like to move out to WC and escape the midwest tho XD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
yea, def get to a coast. :laugh:

good looks on .net and C#... at a professional level I really appreciate all the bells and whistles in VS.net that make my life easier. I know a lot of programmers have a weird distaste for VS.net, but I'm really happy working in it with C# :p.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
LOL yeah its pretty crazy now because my coursework this semester is in assembly and system programming and I do my school projects in Emacs which makes me think I'm in the stone age.

Then I go to work and use Visual Studio and it like does everything for me haha. C# is pretty awesome, I didn't know/have experience before I got this job, and I like it alot now.

What kind of work do you do at your job?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I originally just supported an application that is used by our Quality Assurance department to manage manually run Test Plans, but I recently spent like 8-9 months doing a full code re-write to incorporate some new functionality. I always feel like it sounds dull when I talk about it, but I sorta like just having my own project to completely manage as it sorta keeps me in tune with the full range of GUI design and functionality to database management in the back end.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
Source control and mirroring are nice and all, but I just solve the kneeing problem by adding this line to all my projects:

while(true)
{
PEW_PEW_PEW();
}
hahahahaha (is it weird that i know what hes talking about?)

also, why the underscores between the "pews" ?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
hahahahaha (is it weird that i know what hes talking about?)

also, why the underscores between the "pews" ?
PEW_PEW_PEW() is a single function, putting spaces would make all normal compilers interpret them as separate symbols, which would be poor form. We coders usually separate words in function names with either underscores or by camel casing (i.e. PewPewPew). I wanted all caps to be a jerk so I used all caps, whereas I usually use camel casing in my real work.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I do not approve.
I approve of your avatar.

PEW_PEW_PEW() is a single function, putting spaces would make all normal compilers interpret them as separate symbols, which would be poor form. We coders usually separate words in function names with either underscores or by camel casing (i.e. PewPewPew). I wanted all caps to be a jerk so I used all caps, whereas I usually use camel casing in my real work.
I'm taking note of that.

I like the caps + underscore, makes a nice and neat combo as well.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
ohhh ok im dumb. i've seen it in camel before, but not with underscores. thanks!

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
sigh im no good at programming, its vague to me and i know almost 0 syntax hence drop class XD

while(1!=0)
{
fail();

}

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i took a programming class once. I can safely say its the only class i never learned anything in. Just had the smartest guy in the class do the program, and the he saved it to a floppy and gave it to those of us sitting around him.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
you can get top bud anywhere you are don't listen to any hatin

i get Lebanese hash straight from afghan **** is ****ing made of gold it seems like and it comes through long island

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
i took a programming class once. I can safely say its the only class i never learned anything in. Just had the smartest guy in the class do the program, and the he saved it to a floppy and gave it to those of us sitting around him.
floppy disk?? wtf is that

you can get top bud anywhere you are don't listen to any hatin

i get Lebanese hash straight from afghan **** is ****ing made of gold it seems like and it comes through long island
LOL so true, its all about who you know. My guy gets it shipped to him from humboldt county, CA, and im in bumble**** indiana. 8)

Mogwai I wish I had known. We could have nerded out at pound, I like talking about cs stuff, and I have new found respect for you with that ****** job and that you went to cmu. ****

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Legion - where are the grabs? I saw maybe one or two the entire video. It's so much easier to keep up with and control spacies when you're getting those grabs. Even if they don't lead to successful tech chases, you can make the match go at a pace that you're more comfortable with.

pockyD

Smash Legend
sounds like that's your own fault

pockyD

Smash Legend
then what was the point of the story?

I saw a pineapple at the supermarket once. My friend ate it though, so I never found out what it tasted like.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
programming was relevant to the topic at the time. Pineapples were not. Also it was a chance for people to make fun of me for not knowing **** about programming.

pockyD

Smash Legend
interjecting "i don't know programming" into a conversation about programming which you weren't even previously part of is almost as useless a comment as "i don't know what pineapples taste like"

pockyD

Smash Legend
it just sucks to have someone derail a good conversation because they feel the need to inject themselves and their irrelevant experiences into it

Top Bottom