• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesir

Smash Master
Playing Brawl is like a trip to the moon. Playing melee is like a trip to Pluto.

Everyone wants to go to the moon, but it takes real devotion to want to hit the edge of the universe. Likewise, everyone wants to play Brawl but it takes real devotion to reach the depths of melee's metagame. And in the end, you see a lot more on the melee trip than the Brawl one, if you take the time to make the journey.
Pluto is not the end of the universe. >_>

Skler

Smash Master
I used to work at a Quiznos, Pink Reaper

Brawl isn't like a trip to the moon. Brawl is like a trip to the dumpster out back, it's new and exiting for a little bit but you quickly grow tired of it once you realize it's just a pile of garbage. Melee is like playing Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
mmmmm the journey it is!!!!! what a wonderful and thrilling time it would be....ahhhh yeahs, A Whole New Worrrrrlllllllld, A new fantastic point of viewwww....

mmmmm the journey it is!!!!! what a wonderful and thrilling time it would be....ahhhh yeahs, A Whole New Worrrrrlllllllld, A new fantastic point of viewwww....
NO NO NO NO NO!

I have had enough Disney for one day, playing and nearly beating both Kingdom Hearts games today does that to you, not to mention Pocohantas was straight ********.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No No No Nooooooo (no no no)
Stick to the stuff you know
If you want to be cool
Follow one simple rule
don't mess with the flow no nooo
stick to the status quo.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What happened to all the other reasons? I'd love to hear about those from you, too.
I really don't feel like discussing all the reasons Brawl is more shallow than melee at the current time. Especially because we disagree on what is depth. For example, I think that the ability to actively play the defensive and actively play the offencive is balanced in Brawl, but because camping and spamming is easy and irritating, this aspect is considered to make Brawl worse. The more characters with completely different effective strategies which lead them to victory, the more depth the game has. However, this is often overshadowed by how irritating and easy camping is, while disdain for the tactic keeps competitive smashers who use it disrespected, often because they are the inferior player with the more effective, irritating, and dull to watch tactic. This is one of the points where we disagree on what depth is, since I think the playstyle brings something to Smash melee didn't have, whereas most people think this tactic lessens the series.

Why is Pluto such a popular subject? It is a lifeless, desolate tundra after all. Sure I brought it up, but most the other analogies were single-post incidents which where never brought up a second time.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rQ_0zNIg

=). Makes me happy, when ever i am feeling blue.

So many knees to the face. So much intense, FAST paced action.

Im in Florida an haven't been in the tournament scene for about a month. Yet, only 3 characters continue to dominate. Snake, MK, and in my opinion D3.
I remember when people said...when I also said, that brawl was great because it eliminated the small amount of top tier characters.

Well, it's even worse than Melee. And until that one person figures out that Weegee can kill anyone at 57%, well, there will be 4. But untill then, theres 3.

Street Fighter Third Strike, GG x2, MvC2, an Melee. Those are the games, the real competitive fighting games. You have to have true talent to master one of them, to become the best. It takes time, but It can happen.

But, I am seeing this. Theres a trend in fighting games. At first, theres a few top tier chars. But, after a year or so, those who have been fed up with those tiers, an whose been playing other chars (diddy, DK, IC, Weegee, G&W, YL, G DORF!!!! xD ...ect) They will start coming through the ranks, and through pure talent an gaming skill, they will be able to beat the top tier "pros"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rQ_0zNIg Melee, i love you xD.

I also love 3rd Strike xD xD xD http://youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM AmaZiNg!!!!

RDK

Smash Hero
I hate 3rd Strike. If you're not Chun-Li or Akuma, you get your face knocked in. MvC2, GGX, SFII Turbo, and Alpha Three are much, MUCH better.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I hate 3rd Strike. If you're not Chun-Li or Akuma, you get your face knocked in. MvC2, GGX, SFII Turbo, and Alpha Three are much, MUCH better.
i agree, tho i don't much care for SFII turbo, i guess i never got into the game just wasnt fun for me.

Aesir

Smash Master
really? J-wong is a pretty chill person though =( he actually likes the smash community, or rather actually seems melee as a really competitive game.

Unlike people like studlyff8fan. >____>

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
But, I am seeing this. Theres a trend in fighting games. At first, theres a few top tier chars. But, after a year or so, those who have been fed up with those tiers, an whose been playing other chars (diddy, DK, IC, Weegee, G&W, YL, G DORF!!!! xD ...ect) They will start coming through the ranks, and through pure talent an gaming skill, they will be able to beat the top tier "pros"
I can't wait until this happens and 80% of the Brawl population starts crying after they realize that their scrubby Snakes/Metaknights can't beat anyone anymore. Then Brawl will reach true competitiveness and I will laugh at the disbelievers.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Except substituting High Tiers for the Top Tiers is more of a baby step than you make it sound like. (I.E. Toon Link, GaW)

But I know what you mean.

RDK

Smash Hero
really? J-wong is a pretty chill person though =( he actually likes the smash community, or rather actually seems melee as a really competitive game.

Unlike people like studlyff8fan. >____>
I don't like Jwong because the entire SRK community thinks he's Jesus because he plays Melee / Brawl and places fairly well, when in reality he's not really that good. MikeyG kicked his *** in a recent Brawl tourney, but for some reason peopel still think he's God.

BIG C

Smash Master
rofl ppl talking about noob snakes and metaknights losing to good ppl it'll happen in time when noobs realize how to actually play the game. but as soon as that happens and ppl can't do well or don't seem to get better the huge brawl tourny scene will diminish. because all the noobs who were doing OK will be like screw this i'm not wastin my money to go 0-2.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I just saw that video of him losing to that Japanese player who pulled off a ****load of parries and then counterattacked at 0 health...

Crazy stuff, but I still like Smash better! :D

RDK

Smash Hero
I just saw that video of him losing to that Japanese player who pulled off a ****load of parries and then counterattacked at 0 health...

Crazy stuff, but I still like Smash better! :D
That was nuts. Daigo is a beast, too.

Unfortunately, Justin Wong is the best by default because most everybody who's capable of beating him doesn't play anymore. Although I think he lost to Mike Yipes in last year's EVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom