• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The game of Brawl is about either getting past someone with poor reaction or playing defensively until your opponent makes an opening by approaching, then punishing with a guaranteed combo because it deals a respectable amount of damage and situational combos have been all but removed, so there's nothing nearly as effective as just spamming a low-knockback move or chaingrabbing.

RDK

Smash Hero
The next person to compare either Brawl OR Melee to some type of sport is going to get beasted in the face by a giant ****ing fist of justice.

Los Bassoon

Smash Rookie
It's my personal opinion that the Melee supporters share quite a few more points than Brawl supporters. However, there are, obviously, several crowds in the smash world; I happen to be in a crowd that joined the public smash community quite recently. Don't get me wrong; I started playing Smash with the original game for the N64 in 2000ish. However, I've never been to a Melee tourney, and I just learned how to wavedash a few months ago. I can't even Shffl. So, I find it hard to catch up to the several years of work that the high-level melee players have put in. Brawl changed that; all of the new fans (including me) and the old fans were put on new ground, which created a more equal playing field. So, in my opinion, although Melee is more competitive than Brawl, Brawl appeals to the masses as opposed to the small group of extremely talented, hard-working gamers like PC Chris, Ken, and Isai. Regular people like me can play somewhat competitively in Brawl. So, in my opinion, Brawl and Melee both have their uses; no game is inferior to the other, for they are good in different ways.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I enjoyed Melee and was a part of the competitive Smash scene for several years. And yet, I like Brawl more. I wonder why it's so hard to believe that people like me exist.

BIG C

Smash Master
It's my personal opinion that the Melee supporters share quite a few more points than Brawl supporters. However, there are, obviously, several crowds in the smash world; I happen to be in a crowd that joined the public smash community quite recently. Don't get me wrong; I started playing Smash with the original game for the N64 in 2000ish. However, I've never been to a Melee tourney, and I just learned how to wavedash a few months ago. I can't even Shffl. So, I find it hard to catch up to the several years of work that the high-level melee players have put in. Brawl changed that; all of the new fans (including me) and the old fans were put on new ground, which created a more equal playing field. So, in my opinion, although Melee is more competitive than Brawl, Brawl appeals to the masses as opposed to the small group of extremely talented, hard-working gamers like PC Chris, Ken, and Isai. Regular people like me can play somewhat competitively in Brawl. So, in my opinion, Brawl and Melee both have their uses; no game is inferior to the other, for they are good in different ways.
learning and getting experience was the fun part of melee for me. I got in like a few years late when tink and ppl already knew about the techs and was the worst in the crew but, I stuck with it and became 2nd best in my crew.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I enjoyed Melee and was a part of the competitive Smash scene for several years. And yet, I like Brawl more. I wonder why it's so hard to believe that people like me exist.
You are the very first person who plays Melee from a competitive standpoint that likes Brawl more. Jk. There are people like you out there, just not very many.

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
Brawl doesn't really appeal to the masses due to it being more noob friendly in competitive play simply because the noob masses don't even realize why there was more depth in a previous manifestation. It's so easy for them to say "it's a new game, and you're just mad because you're on my level now" without understanding the basis for the feeling. It's not even that we're on the same level, it's just that there's no mountains to climb. Even Pika's QAC takes about two minutes to learn.

How can something appeal to somebody for a reason they don't even understand? Most noobs playing Brawl don't aspire to be competition worthy, thus Brawl and Melee have the same "noob appeal".

This "appealing to the masses" crap is getting to me.

BIG C

Smash Master
only thing i have to say is i went to a brawl tourny and we fired up some melee friendlies. and there became a good amount of brawl kids sitting there watching us play saying wow I can't believe how fast this game is and such. they were completely interested in us playing teams friendlies I have not seen that attention paid to a brawl match ever.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Gah. This is so frustrating. I can never decide between the two. That's why I hate going here.

Brawl fixed so much from Melee and things are made a lot smoother. But in Melee each battle was unique and fun and agh.

I feel like it would be impossible to choose between the two. I really think Nintendo should remake Brawl and this way we CAN have it both ways T_T;;

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
only thing i have to say is i went to a brawl tourny and we fired up some melee friendlies. and there became a good amount of brawl kids sitting there watching us play saying wow I can't believe how fast this game is and such. they were completely interested in us playing teams friendlies I have not seen that attention paid to a brawl match ever.
I can't watch brawl matches they are just too boring.

I tried watching a match between Azen and m2k in grand finals and I stopped midway.

I play brawl anyway because most of my friends decide to play it and have fun playing it. And its always fun to hang out.

Fletch

Smash Master
Gah. This is so frustrating. I can never decide between the two. That's why I hate going here.

Brawl fixed so much from Melee and things are made a lot smoother. But in Melee each battle was unique and fun and agh.

I feel like it would be impossible to choose between the two. I really think Nintendo should remake Brawl and this way we CAN have it both ways T_T;;
Care to elaborate?

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
Getting bogged down in old stories stops the flow of learning by censoring our perceptions, making us functionally deaf and blind to new information. Once the replay button gets pushed, we no longer form new ideas or conclusions -- the old ones are just so cozy. But becoming present puts us back in reality, where we can rigorously fact-check our own prejudgments. I don't really have much of a point to say in regards to this, but I'm just throwing that out there. You can throw it back.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Getting bogged down in old stories stops the flow of learning by censoring our perceptions, making us functionally deaf and blind to new information. Once the replay button gets pushed, we no longer form new ideas or conclusions -- the old ones are just so cozy. But becoming present puts us back in reality, where we can rigorously fact-check our own prejudgments. I don't really have much of a point to say in regards to this, but I'm just throwing that out there. You can throw it back.
Fancy words for "let go of the past and live in the present". Reminiscing about good times doesn't blind us to the present, it provides a basis for which to compare to the present.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Newer does not always mean better. You can't always just blindly accept something because it's "new" and forget the "old", just as you shouldn't just desperately cling to the "old" just because it's familiar.

When choosing the better option, the notion of which is "new" and "old" does not really have any relevance to the topic.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Newer does not always mean better. You can't always just blindly accept something because it's "new" and forget the "old", just as you shouldn't just desperately cling to the "old" just because it's familiar.

When choosing the better option, the notion of which is "new" and "old" does not really have any relevance to the topic.
That's very true, but I think what Vaul is trying to say is that regardless of whether or not 'new' and 'old' should factor into the discussion, it does anyway. Brawl should have been measured by its own merits first and compared to its predecessors second, but the opposite happened and because Melee was the entrenched game, many people fell into the pitfall of dismissing it because it was different instead of why it was different. After all, if you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it, but there are people who didn't (from the sounds of it) even give the game that chance because it wasn't Melee; the 'Melee 2.0' argument had to start somewhere, right?

We can struggle all we want, but if we don't realize that times are changing then we'll all be screwed. Brawl is here and enough people like it for it to stay here for a while; trying to sabotage competitive Brawl because of an opinion that Melee is better (which some people, believe it or not, have actually professed wishes of doing) is just as foolish as saying Brawl is the new hotness and no one should ever have to play pro Melee ever again.

Scar

#HarveyDent
...many people fell into the pitfall of dismissing it because it was different instead of why it was different. After all, if you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it, but there are people who didn't (from the sounds of it) even give the game that chance because it wasn't Melee; the 'Melee 2.0' argument had to start somewhere, right?
The "Melee 2.0" argument, pardon my saying so, was started by idiots. I cannot disagree more strongly with this point, most of the people that dislike Brawl dislike it because so many things are blatantly wrong with it, and it is blatantly meant to be a gaming experience where anyone can win.

No one, to my knowledge, dismissed Brawl because it was different, rather we disliked the game because of why. Quite the opposite of your claim.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The "Melee 2.0" thing was almost justified back in March. But this is June. The game's been out for around 3 months, longer than that if you've been playing the Japanese version. I think most people are able to make their judgments based on experience rather than "it's new so we don't like it" by now.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The "Melee 2.0" thing was almost justified back in March. But this is June. The game's been out for around 3 months, longer than that if you've been playing the Japanese version. I think most people are able to make their judgments based on experience rather than "it's new so we don't like it" by now.
Very true.

I know Brawl isn't as fast as melee, but I found that with Lucario and a sort of charge tactic, the game speed seems to pick up noticibly. Since I've heard a lot of complaints about the game speed, I was wondering why it is that so many people seem to prefer a more conservative method of fighting online, when the game can become significantly faster when a character like Lucario simply chooses to respond to attacks with a series of rapid attacks that form into combos.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Because if you play the character you like, feel most comfortable with, or see winning, you are kinda held into a position where you have to play defensively in order to win.

If your offensive tactic works though, get it out there. I'm willing to see anyone **** a good player, maybe win a tourny, by playing aggressively.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Care to elaborate?
Yes, actually. Things were made smoother, you could react faster, the roster was evened so that there are few to no useless characters, the roster also added many characters, the graphics were improved, you can now grab the edge from BOTH sides(seasoned fighters WOULD turn around if it were to save their lives), no directional airdodging (it makes more sense, really, which is why I like it. Why couldn't you dodge multiple times in the air? And why would you be able to give yourself momentum at the last minute? This also, however, removed one of our best spacing tools), and the ledge grab range was widened (I don't think it needed to be as wide as Brawl's, but you don't have to practically inside the ledge before grabbing it as was done in Melee).

So, yeah, a lot of things were fixed and made better. The game was made more smooth and more even. However with that they also made gameplay less competitive and the game has become...well, let's face it, more boring. My friends and I used to play Melee for hours upon hours and never get bored. But with Brawl...I can have somewhat the same experience, but have maybe one half or three fourths the level of fun. Unfortunately, Brawl became a watered down version of Melee where it really could have been Melee 2.0. That I would have preferred. Same level of competition with gameplay that was smoothed around the edges. That's all that was needed, really. But as it is, hitstun was reduced ridiculously and the game was made more of a party game. In my opinion, it fulfilled many of my wishes as for how it fixed Melee but disappointed me in what it took out.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think that the primary reason the game is more boring is the rewards of camping, while a secondary one is the removal of a lot of glitches that I doubt were ever intended to be exploited. However, if the whole game were camping, Pit and R.O.B. would be on top instead of Metaknight and Snake. I've found that the game is a little more interesting with Olimar, but not in the excitement factor as much as the amount of focus required to keep track of the Pikmin.

Brawl is a party game. Add some items, and pick courses that aren't Final Destination. You will be bored if you don't have a few non-competitive games once in a while. Remember: as much as I like compitition, Brawl was not ment to be compitition based, thus the engine would probably work best if used like its intention: as a party game.

RDK

Smash Hero
That argument is dumb.

Melee wasn't meant to be a fighting game, but look what it accomplished in one stroke? It managed to be one of, if not THE most fun and definetely deepest fighting games out there while still retaining the ability to be played as a party game by casuals.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^I agree, but I think, like Melee, Brawl should have lent itself to both audiences. I don't think it did so to the best of its ability. I am honestly looking forward to the next game in which they (hopefully) can make a game that is both appealing and smooth as well as technical and competitive.

Er, I was agreeing with the poster above RDK.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I believe that Brawl is both a party game and competitive. However, the party aspects of the game were greatly enhanced, moreso than the fighting elements. The problem might be one of opinion: After playing hundreds of consecutive matches without items as is most popular, the game will get boring. The matches need to be switched up a bit or you will begin to get bored, as I am just beginning to realize from internet newbs who NEVER GO OFF OF FINAL DESTINATION! After a while with the same match and the same rules continuously, I stop caring about the outcome of the match. It doesn't help that the computers aren't worth fighting when the stage has dynamic elements and fail even moreso with items on. To be truely appreciated as a game, there should be some fights and some parties.

Oh, and by the way, next time tell me why my arguement is dumb with a good reason instead of dismissing it outright. After all, Melee's breakdown into a rediculously deep level of compition was the reason developers made half of their changes to the format when making Brawl. Melee became entirely about compitions, and Sakuria(?) was a staunch opponent to competitive Smash.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
In case you didn't realize, the newbs who don't go off FD actually are newbs. The rest of us have been playing from 5 or 6 neutrals and a couple counterpick-worthy stages.

And no, playing hundreds of consecutive matches without items was never boring in Melee, what excuse is there for it to be boring in Brawl?

Reaver197

Smash Lord
^I agree, but I think, like Melee, Brawl should have lent itself to both audiences. I don't think it did so to the best of its ability. I am honestly looking forward to the next game in which they (hopefully) can make a game that is both appealing and smooth as well as technical and competitive..
They would have to throw out online possibility then. Something I doubt that they'll give up so easily.

RDK

Smash Hero
The reason I said your argument was dumb was because whether or not a playing style is boring isn't universal; it's subjective. Just because you think 1v1 without items on FD or Battlefield in Melee gets boring doesn't mean it's the same with everybody else.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
To Ankoku:

Brawl really doesn't have an excuse for being boring if you put it that way. The only reason I can figure Brawl gets boring is because of the slower match speed, which might be the problem. But before you call Brawl boring, get off the counterpicks and have a few matches on Norfair. Also, don't hesitate to force the match speed up. I found the best way to make matches more interesting (and with Lucario, it seems rewarding) is to throw and charge. Surprisingly, throwing and charging seems to change the whole game structure out of the campfest; as long as you follow through, the match becomes very intense very quickly.

Also, melee can be almost as slow and dull as Brawl if you remove all the wave maneuvers.

To RDK:

By your logic, all opinions on the boredom factor of a game are subjective concerning the entertainment value of a game, and can't be discussed intelligently.

To Reaver:

Good point, although the online gets iritatingly laggy.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
you could react faster
Mostly due to the game being slower than Melee in general.
the roster was evened so that there are few to no useless characters
I don't feel that Melee had a single useless character. There were only those characters that were used less often than others.
you can now grab the edge from BOTH sides
In my opinion, this dumbed down edgeguarding and recovering. While this made grabbing the edge easier, edgehogging's usefulness was toned down.
no directional airdodging (it makes more sense, really, which is why I like it. Why couldn't you dodge multiple times in the air? And why would you be able to give yourself momentum at the last minute?
In Melee, you can air-dodge in a certain direction, but if you were off the stage you'd fall to your death. In Brawl, you can air-dodge multiple times, but only in the direction that your character has momentum. If you could air-dodge multiple times in Melee, it would have been abused to the point that it would have probably replaced certain character's recoveries altogether. The fact that you can control your direction and give yourself momentum in Melee added a nuance to the game: it was another method for recovering. Popo's use of the air-dodge as a recovery was necessary if Nana was dead, but it was also used by other characters as an alternative to a predictable up-B recovery move.
The game was made more smooth and more even.
If by "even" you mean the characters are on a more even playing field, I'll have to disagree with you. Brawl's tiers, while not defined clearly yet, will most likely be even more static and unchanging than Melee's tiers.
Brawl is a party game. Add some items, and pick courses that aren't Final Destination. You will be board of you don't have a few non-competitive games once in a while. Remember: as much as I like compitition, Brawl was not ment to be compitition based, thus the engine would probably work best if used like its intention: as a party game.
None of the SSB games are meant to be competition based, but playing it as it was meant to be played defeats the whole purpose of exploring the game and delving into it as deeply as people delved into Melee. What frustrates me most is that it seems like Nintendo purposely made an attempt to force everyone to play as it was meant to be played, rather than offering a choice.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Also, melee can be almost as slow and dull as Brawl if you remove all the wave maneuvers.
Wave maneuvers? You mean wavedashing, lol? That's only one thing, and while it did add some spacing and maneuvering options, it really isn't the end all be all maneuver of Melee. Sure, not having it lessens it a little, but the core gameplay of the game will not be affected.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Norfair is a map I use as a counterpick >_>

lol throw and charge. It gets beaten by spotdodge and downsmash.

Wave maneuvers? How many actual wave maneuvers would I be doing with Peach? She floats. You're just throwing out generalizations when I've done quite a bit in trying to find the fun in playing this game the way I like to play it - 1v1, no items, a stage that doesn't force me to pay full attention to it at all times. Well, yeah, I found the fun, and unfortunately it's been more fun figuring out what's abusable in this glitchy and unbalanced game engine than playing creatively and failing because any attempts at creativity are stifled by the ability to air-dodge at any point in time.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wave maneuvers? You mean wavedashing, lol? That's only one thing, and while it did add some spacing and maneuvering options, it really isn't the end all be all maneuver of Melee. Sure, not having it lessens it a little, but the core gameplay of the game will not be affected.
Not just wavedashing but also L-cancelling, and the many other mid-air dodge techniques. These made the spacies gods of melee.

Variola, I think you're right in this situation.

Ankoku: play the game your way. I am sorry for all my generalizations, and if you want me to be more specific, I will be. Incidently, I always knida hated Peach because of her item spamability and her kinda cheap midair floating mindgames, which gave her the ability to keep up with the waveshine. I never used the wavedash, let alone the waveshine, but those turnips were annoying.

What really bugs me is the lack of professionals that still enjoy turning the items on once in a while. Nintendo kinda made a mistake when it decided to make eternal tourney play boring after match 1,000; but the party aspects are worthwild, if you can find someone willing and worth facing.

RDK

Smash Hero
To Ankoku:

Brawl really doesn't have an excuse for being boring if you put it that way. The only reason I can figure Brawl gets boring is because of the slower match speed, which might be the problem. But before you call Brawl boring, get off the counterpicks and have a few matches on Norfair. Also, don't hesitate to force the match speed up. I found the best way to make matches more interesting (and with Lucario, it seems rewarding) is to throw and charge. Surprisingly, throwing and charging seems to change the whole game structure out of the campfest; as long as you follow through, the match becomes very intense very quickly.

To RDK:

By your logic, all opinions on the boredom factor of a game are subjective concerning the entertainment value of a game, and can't be discussed intelligently.

To Reaver:

Good point, although the online gets iritatingly laggy.
You're making idiotic generalizations about what makes the game more enjoyable.

And throwing and charging doesn't necessarily make the game more fast-paced by any means, especially when you can spot and air dodge.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Not just wavedashing but also L-cancelling, and the many other mid-air dodge techniques. These made the spacies gods of melee.
The air-dodge techniques consisted of: wavedashing and wavelanding.

Wavelanding was a quicker way to land on platforms but it typically did more to benefit characters like Ganondorf than, say, Falco.

Wavedashing is a spacing tool and part of the waveshine. It's only used for normal movement by Ice Climbers and Luigi, typically.

L-Canceling didn't necessarily make the game more exciting, it just added more possibilities, much in the same way autocanceling does in Brawl, though in a more limited way.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
L-canceling was an intentional feature of both 64 and Melee. They were also going to include it in Brawl, if you don't remember, but removed it probably due to the fact that it would not work with online play, not to how the actual game played in of itself.

As Ankoku has mentioned (before I could finish this post of course, lol) there is only pretty much one thing you can do with airdodging: wavedashing, which also is essentially the same thing as wavelanding.

There is only 3 general techniques that take advantage of game mechanics that weren't originally intended by the developers: wavedashing/landing, jump cancelling (grabs, attacks, whatever), and moonwalking. None of those added any sort of ridiculous advantage to any character, nor were incredibly broken in their own right.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
You make it sound like advanced techs put Fox and Falco out of reach of every other character, which is not true. Virtually every character benefited from advanced techs.
Nintendo kinda made a mistake when it decided to make eternal tourney play boring after match 1,000; but the party aspects are worthwild, if you can find someone willing and worth facing.
Nintendo did no such thing to dictate tournament rules, and tournament matches are much more entertaining to watch without adding the randomness of these "party aspects".

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
The air-dodge techniques consisted of: wavedashing and wavelanding.

Wavelanding was a quicker way to land on platforms but it typically did more to benefit characters like Ganondorf than, say, Falco.

Wavedashing is a spacing tool and part of the waveshine. It's only used for normal movement by Ice Climbers and Luigi, typically.

L-Canceling didn't necessarily make the game more exciting, it just added more possibilities, much in the same way autocanceling does in Brawl, though in a more limited way.
To be fair, falco and fox were the biggest beneficiaries of wavedashing after Luigi, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo. Wavedashing is essential for basic fox combos (aerial > waveshine > upsmash/grab) and falco combos on fastfallers (cancelling the shine with a wavedash allows you to chase their DI better).

Also, shine wavelanding with falco makes him even better at comboing... (see: zhu vs silentspectre).

I don't disagree with your statements, but fox and falco DID benefit from wavedashing more than the majority of the roster.

Samochan

Smash Master
I don't disagree with your statements, but fox and falco DID benefit from wavedashing more than the majority of the roster.
Only because of the shine and that their traction allows for wd just long enough for comboing and their jumps are fast enough to allow wavedash to come out fast enough. Bowser jumping speed... it just wouldn't work for fox, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom