• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 - Mew2King vs Unknown522

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
No one seems to care about splitting so long as it's a secret and the match looks good....now I know why wrestling is so popular :troll:

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
No one seems to care about splitting so long as it's a secret and the match looks good....now I know why wrestling is so popular :troll:
I mean, apparently splitting is a really common thing and I have never seen a WF and GF like this before, so it seems that as long as the people see a good match then yeah

Max?

Smash Champion
Is this really such a huge issue? Are people really that upset and flustered and pissed off about all of this?

Man, the smash community is so fake sometimes I swear. Maybe I should download LoL

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Is this really such a huge issue? Are people really that upset and flustered and pissed off about all of this?

Man, the smash community is so fake sometimes I swear. Maybe I should download LoL
It's only this big simply because of the relatively ridiculous amount of people watching when it happened

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
Even though Unknown should have waited for a TO's ruling on M2K's game 5 counterpick and should have declined M2K's offer to split, I can see maybe why he wouldn't have done those things.

When playing against one of the best players in the world, like M2K, you don't really want to argue. When you think he can't counterpick FD, but he says that he's sure that he's allowed to do it, you might just go with it without really putting enough thought into it. You say okay, even though in the back of your head you don't feel like it's right. When you're talking to a player you've always thought of as legendary, you might just believe that he's right and you're wrong.

After he lost game 5, unknown had time to think about it and realize he should have waited for TO confirmation.

Same with the splitting. M2K asked to split, and Unknown knew in his head that he didn't want to split. But he didn't give it enough thought and just said okay. So while playing GFs, he just felt awful about not sticking up for himself, and played awfully. After the tournament was over and he had enough time to mull it over, he realized that agreeing to split was a huge mistake.

I'm not criticizing anyone. I'm not saying what M2K should have done, what Unknown should, or what the TOs should have done. I'm just saying what I believe was going through Unknown's head at the time.

Gea

Smash Master
Why are you trying to tell everyone what was going through his head when he is in fact still alive and does in fact post on SWF?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Even though Unknown should have waited for a TO's ruling on M2K's game 5 counterpick and should have declined M2K's offer to split, I can see maybe why he wouldn't have done those things.

When playing against one of the best players in the world, like M2K, you don't really want to argue. When you think he can't counterpick FD, but he says that he's sure that he's allowed to do it, you might just go with it without really putting enough thought into it. You say okay, even though in the back of your head you don't feel like it's right. When you're talking to a player you've always thought of as legendary, you might just believe that he's right and you're wrong.
ITT: People painting Unknown as a drooling, starstruck toddler.

:phone:

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The more I think about this, the more I think this could have all been avoided if the TO had the respect of the players involved, and could have taken them aside and explained the situation, and just asked them to play it out as a favor to him. Simply saying "obey this rule" isn't going to get it done; there should be a code of conduct established in the ruleset but I think it comes down to the players and TOs/hosts having a good relationship with one another.

Leffen even assuming you're correct about everything else, there's no way we can ban anyone for breaking a rule that didn't exist, especially when we know that it has been broken in the past.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Splitting at anything past a local (or a REALLY small regional) is pretty ****ing lame.

Do people have NO pride in being better than their opponents?

WHERE'S THAT COMPETITIVE SPIRIT?? WHERE'S THE HEART?

I'm just gonna junk all the splitters at Apex and make it to GFs so it's hype as ****

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Hyuga, you gotta understand, Mew2King was pissing Alukard off the whole tournament. He'd be ordered to stream and then secretly play the match on the side so PP wouldn't see him play. So it would hold the stream up because we'd be waiting for him to come play. He has stupid long button checks etc. It was just selfish and Alukard was getting sick of babying him. So after Cactuar directly told M2K that he couldn't do it, and then M2K to Unknown that it was allowed, Alukard was PIIISSSEED.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Splitting at anything past a local (or a REALLY small regional) is pretty ****ing lame.

Do people have NO pride in being better than their opponents?

WHERE'S THAT COMPETITIVE SPIRIT?? WHERE'S THE HEART?

I'm just gonna junk all the splitters at Apex and make it to GFs so it's hype as ****
this is why cali is the best region

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
im starting to have the opinion that what happened at rom was some sort of perfect storm/cluster**** that unfortunately was seen by alot of people and left everyone with a bad taste in their mouths. it happened, it was legal, it shouldnt be punished, but i think we are basically all in agreement it shouldnt happen again. glad scar and the others are having serious discussion on what we should do, but hopefully future TO's take steps to avoid this. it ultimately comes down to each TO to make rules reguarding this, though itd probably help to have a community guideline for them to follow.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hyuga, you gotta understand, Mew2King was pissing Alukard off the whole tournament. He'd be ordered to stream and then secretly play the match on the side so PP wouldn't see him play. So it would hold the stream up because we'd be waiting for him to come play. He has stupid long button checks etc. It was just selfish and Alukard was getting sick of babying him. So after Cactuar directly told M2K that he couldn't do it, and then M2K to Unknown that it was allowed, Alukard was PIIISSSEED.
I'm not necessarily excusing anyone but I'm beginning to see how the rest of the situation factored into what happened. Yes it's pretty annoying dealing with complaints all day, but KK and Unknown are reasonable people and Alukard needed to be the one to talk to them about their attitude, not you (although I completely understand and respect what you're doing).

The players didn't ask for the attention or respect of 4k streamers, and they didn't know what was expected of them when they decided to show up at the tournament. And now all of a sudden everyone is angry at them for something that we all know has transpired in the past, when they didn't see any reason to believe it would be different if it happened this time. I really think if Alukard could have sat down with them and explained calmly what was up, they would have been willing to play it out. Or at least do what they did in a way that respects everyone else.

Sorry Alu for putting you on blast, you know I got nothin but love for you otherwise.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'm not necessarily excusing anyone but I'm beginning to see how the rest of the situation factored into what happened. Yes it's pretty annoying dealing with complaints all day, but KK and Unknown are reasonable people and Alukard needed to be the one to talk to them about their attitude, not you (although I completely understand and respect what you're doing).

The players didn't ask for the attention or respect of 4k streamers, and they didn't know what was expected of them when they decided to show up at the tournament. And now all of a sudden everyone is angry at them for something that we all know has transpired in the past, when they didn't see any reason to believe it would be different if it happened this time. I really think if Alukard could have sat down with them and explained calmly what was up, they would have been willing to play it out. Or at least do what they did in a way that respects everyone else.

Sorry Alu for putting you on blast, you know I got nothin but love for you otherwise.
I'm not excusing it, I'm just explaining why it went down that way. I don't think it was malicious. I just think people need to be educated how important the stream is, etc. Thing is. This is competitive gaming. They really shouldn't have to be told to try and win. Get what I'm saying? lol

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
What I'm saying is, you can't expect immediate change. We know splitting and sandbag sets have happened in the past. Whether it should have or not is irrelevant. The players knew this and assumed it would be no bigger of a deal than last time it happened. Then they hear "oh by the way 4k people are watching so you better do it this way." I can see how that feels pretty imposing and how they would feel disrespected by that. People don't shift their attitudes/belief immediately, and even if you're right about what their attitude should be (which I think you mostly are), it's unreasonable to expect that immediate change.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd think that with the constant instances of issues with splitting and other tendencies this community has undergone, that wanting something to change by now SHOULD be expected. :applejack:

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
We as a Melee community have never really had a community-wide discussion over it.

We saw what happened with M2K and Brawl at MLG and said "well that was Brawl at MLG, that's not us." I still don't think anything like this would happen at a Melee national, but now we're aware of the issue.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's something that probably begs attention now. It just seems strange because it's been a reoccurring thing in tournaments in general though. The negative attention they get should've provoked some kind of action before now.

Is it wrong of me to find that second part silly though? I mean, you're dealing with the same player in similar circumstances. Hell, the way I see it, if it can happen with M2K at MLG, of all places, then it can happen anywhere at anytime.
:applejack:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Espy, I (and many others) see M2K as an extreme outlier in our community as far as general behavior and social conduct goes, so his doing so at a Brawl tournament doesn't lend much to what might happen at a Melee tournament, especially since it has literally been years since M2K has actually won a Melee major, to be in this kind of situation.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
This thread is now about mixing food to create the most vile creation possible

Some rules:

1) You are not allowed to include feces, mud, or anything else that isn't really a "food" item in your mix (legality will largely be decided by public reaction - as general guidelines, avoid live scorpions, things borrowed from a cadaver [fresh or otherwise], and most bodily fluids).

2) Two items, no exceptions.

3) Drug-enhanced foods like special brownies are not allowed because little kids visit this website.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
KK is a master of distraction :p

I'd give money for someone to eat a plate of nothing but mustard and bbq sauce though.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Ketchup and Cereal

Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise

Hot Sauce and Pancakes

Anchovies and Relish

Soup with Brussels Sprouts in it.

I'll think of more later.

Unless these are terrible

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
This thread is now about mixing food to create the most vile creation possible

Some rules:

1) You are not allowed to include feces, mud, or anything else that isn't really a "food" item in your mix (legality will largely be decided by public reaction - as general guidelines, avoid live scorpions, things borrowed from a cadaver [fresh or otherwise], and most bodily fluids).

2) Two items, no exceptions.

3) Drug-enhanced foods like special brownies are not allowed because little kids visit this website.
Hummis dip and Peppermint Ice Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom