• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

TheMike

Smash Lord
pressure>nado>pressure>nado
Nado is already pressure. MK can take ROB off-stage using other ways maybe just better than Nado, such as Dair. If I were the MK, I's rather use Nado for juggles(Uair string>Nado/predicting Air Dodges/...) than take ROB off-stage.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
We can at least out range her and shes not super fast like MK, and she needs to land a Dsmash to start the infinite which is actually easy to avoid, not that bad a MU IMO.

In friendlies or in tournament? how gay is he willing to be with nado/gimping? I find that when MK isn't playing the pressure>nado>pressure>nado till your off the stage to be gimped its a much easier matchup to handle.
its friendlies but neither of us like to lose, also he is willing to be as gay as he needs to be against me. We do not sandbag against each other. he tries nado>pressure and i often get around that. The next tourney i go to i will try to play as many mk as i can to see if what i am doing is right and will work on every mk. if it does hopefully some of the matches will be recorded but knowing my luck they wont be so i will have to give a play by play.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
The ZSS match-up has absolutely nothing to do with the infinite, she's just ridiculously good at pressuring ROB's blind spot from below and the disjointedness on her Smashes and Side-B are aggravating as hell.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Yeah, ZSS just generally does well against ROB. The infintie only solidifes the advantage. The fact you can set it up is pretty gay though lol.

TheMike

Smash Lord
The ZSS match-up has absolutely nothing to do with the infinite, she's just ridiculously good at pressuring ROB's blind spot from below and the disjointedness on her Smashes and Side-B are aggravating as hell.
I find VERY easy to PS her Smashes and Side Bs. But that's not the big point on the MU IMO. Look at her Up B, Usmash, Dtilt, Utilt, DA... D:

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
The infinite's a joke, i play with Snakeee regularly (as of about a month ago...SUNY Albany ftw!) and he laughs at the infinite. It's a tough matchup, ZSS definitely has the advantage. She just wrecks ROB in the air (although ROBs nair does help him out a lot, it clashes with a lot of her aerials, but she can just wait it out and catch you with a Uair)
Ftilt is sooo good in this matchup, just shield the side-b's.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The infinite's a joke, i play with Snakeee regularly (as of about a month ago...SUNY Albany ftw!) and he laughs at the infinite. It's a tough matchup, ZSS definitely has the advantage. She just wrecks ROB in the air (although ROBs nair does help him out a lot, it clashes with a lot of her aerials, but she can just wait it out and catch you with a Uair)
Ftilt is sooo good in this matchup, just shield the side-b's.

I dont recall 2 aerials ever clashing O.o

Mr.E

Smash Lord
You can also clash with her USmash, similar to clashing with Olimar's Smashes (or Snake's Mortar).

buenob

Smash Lord
wrong term... clash implies both are put back into a neutral state... rob's moves just have higher priority than the others and beat them out, but since they are disjoint you don't get the reward of sending them flying, just not getting hit

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Well if you're gonna be a smartass, it's actually because they're considered projectiles. Normal aerials don't clash with normal ground moves at all. This fact is very obvious reagrding Snake's Mortar but not so much the others. (And I'm still never even sure with ZSS's USmash, what's up with that thing?)

swordgard

Smash Hero
Well if you're gonna be a smartass, it's actually because they're considered projectiles. Normal aerials don't clash with normal ground moves at all. This fact is very obvious reagrding Snake's Mortar but not so much the others. (And I'm still never even sure with ZSS's USmash, what's up with that thing?)
False, projectiles actually imply you get not hitlag when you hit the opponent and that they do.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Less arguing semantics and more agreeing that you can "not get hit" by challenging said hitboxes with your own hitbox. As for CJT's talking about Up-B, Specials can "be challenged to avoid being hit" regardless or whether or not they're performed in the air. It's why Falco can Phantasm through many attacks without being hit. It just so happens this fact works against ZSS in this instance.

buenob

Smash Lord
robs hitbox on his nair/bair are definitely not "projectiles"... it's knowing exactly these 'semantics' which allow you to never be surprised during a match... like knowing which moves will hit falco out of his phantasm and where he can be hit

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Just a random thing i found awhile back while goofing off. Probably known, but ROB can actually use his up+B (after its cancelled w/ a rising aerial) to airdodge upward. The little final burst of jet fuel after the aerial... airdodge during it holding up. *shrugs* nothing fancy, or even that cool.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Why should we even need input? ROB's obviously the worst as he can't actually DO anything.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
hmm, the air dodge can leave you vulnerable, rob is to floaty to make it on the stage safely with an air dodge.
The main benefit I see from this is, when using an up+B to recover high over the stage, or as a "defense" option when pursuing someone to the ceiling.

Scenario 1: You recover high, over the top of the stage. A char with a decent jump & U-air is below you, awaiting your descent/predicting the aerial you are going to use to cancel your up+B. Tossing in a *rising airdodge* adds a mix-up.

Scenario 2: You are following a Snake as he cyphers high. You mess up somehow or other, and can now airdodge up and THROUGH the Snake as he descends with a D-/B-air; as opposed to eating it near the ceiling of the stage and possibly getting KO'd.

Scenario 3: You are recovering from below, and manage to get a rising U-air off that hits the opponent. Typically, you will drift onto the stage into some sort of landing action. If your opponent SDI'd the U-air and recovers quickly, this CAN leave you open for a quick aerial from them; whereas you can utilize a rising airdodge to land safely onto the stage and buffer into whatever you desire (shield, spotdodge, d-smash... whatever)

Scenario 4: You are pursuing someone off the stage, and mess up the timing/spacing on an aerial out of your up+B. You can airdodge UP, thus not losing (and actually gaining) height to enable you to pursue your opponent again, with the possibility of safely AD'ing through their retaliation.

More to the "make it to the stage w/ an airdodge": We all know (or should know) that you can drop down a bit lower than normal from a ledgedrop, jump & airdodge at such a height that you kind of "scale" the stage wall (term used loosely) and land on stage JUST as the airdodge ends, allowing you to buffer into whatever the situation calls for.

I don't mean to say this is SUPER AWESOME STUFF, just pointing out that its a valid mix-up.

buenob

Smash Lord
dodging in the air helps avoid attacks... if you dodge, it puts no pressure on your opponent... it is purely a defensive option which takes advantage of a predictably aggressive opponent... that is all :)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
The best way to use Side-B to momentum cancel is simple: If you have enough time to use it, use it. Basically, if the move will come out, use it, otherwise just FF-Fair

TheMike

Smash Lord
I only use Usmash when I'm under a platform and my opponent is lagging over it. Despite coming fast(faster then Fsmash) and having a good kock back, there's usually better things to do than Usmash.
Nair can punish some Air Dodges. It has a startup lag that can confuse the opponent: when he's Air Dodging, Nair is coming out. Then, Nair hits your opponent.
Forward B only for Momentum Cancelling. It's horrible in other situations. Here is the thread where GwJumpman explains better. He also said something above your post.

Hope this helps. :D

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
How do you use R.O.B's Upsmash, Nair, and Forward B?
Up-smash: kinda tricky to use. use it when the opponent is on a platform above you is one option. or you can try to read you opponents air dodge/ attack if u are under them and time it right. also u could try a up-tilt in up-smash not a true combo but can work sometimes. This is most of the ways to use this up-smash.

Nair is a great move. you could use it to hit people doing a air dodge, you can just use it randomly it might hit, you can fast fall with it to hit people of the ground (its not very laggy), u can use it if u think the opponent is going to come at u while u are in the air. Nair is a great move which despite its speed is not hard to hit with. it is also one of ROB's kill moves so some might just want to save it to kill.

Side B: only use to momentum cancel so if u fast fall a fair then side B u can live a little longer. besides that don't use it sucks as a attack and as a reflector it is a bad move in fact is rob's worst move.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Up-smash: Nair is a great move. you could use it to hit people doing a air dodge, you can just use it randomly it might hit, you can fast fall with it to hit people of the ground (its not very laggy), u can use it if u think the opponent is going to come at u while u are in the air. Nair is a great move which despite its speed is not hard to hit with. it is also one of ROB's kill moves so some might just want to save it to kill.
meh. very high risk when using on an opponent near the ground, there is start up lag considering ROB does a front flip, where the hitbox will eventually go to the front, your opponent will shield grab and punish. RAR'd nairs would help. but i still wouldnt risk it.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Nair isnt as broken as I would have liked it to be, some attacks can be timed and hit you, Nair can sometimes make me feel as if I'm wide open cause ROB can't do anything once the move starts, and ROB can be punished pretty well while using it.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
meh. very high risk when using on an opponent near the ground, there is start up lag considering ROB does a front flip, where the hitbox will eventually go to the front, your opponent will shield grab and punish. RAR'd nairs would help. but i still wouldnt risk it.
1: i use it and it surprises my opponent so i find it somewhat useful.
2: the guy was asking for how the move could be used and i was just giving him options.

i am not saying thats how u should use the move just that it can be used that way,

buenob

Smash Lord
my favourite trick is to stand where their roll would leave them, and jump straight up and nair... if they roll, the get hit, and if they attempt to close the gap, they usually have a gigantic disjoint hitbox in their face (obviously if anything is predictable it's not safe)... nair is a great zoning move imo

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Im am dead serious about 2nding Rob(i main samus) and i was wondering a few things.

With samus i would always start off the match by spamming and making he FOE come after me. With rob what is a good way to approach?

How do you ledge stall with rob?

How long does it take/what do you do to get robs UP+B fully charged again?

Samus has HORRIBLE throws but i heard ROBs can KILL. WHich one and at what %?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
When you do approach with ROB, which you shouldn't do often, you need to space your aerials to prevent being shieldgrabbed. You should camp until they approach YOU.

Ledge stalling with ROB could be as simple as ledge hopped lasers to ledgedrop > double jump > Uair/Fair, or ledgehop > Bair. ROB isn't the best ledge staller, but he has some options.

I think the Robo Buster takes like 3 seconds to fully charge again.

Well, ROB's throws don't kill very well until late percents with good DI. Technically, the only one that can't kill is the Dthrow. UThrow kills the best (I'd say around 140-160 on lightweights if you somehow didn't kill them yet) and Fthrow and Bthrow kill a little later with good DI. With bad DI, Bthrow and Fthrow kill pretty early.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
3 seconds to refresh his UP+B? Are you SURE? Cause i intend to run the timer a **** load vs certain chars.

Top Bottom