• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
If I have to approach someone, I usually use my ground game to approach. FTilts/DTilts since those lead directly into Jab/DTilt/Grab mix-ups.

Ledge stalling with ROB is bad. It puts him in a horrible position unless you're fighting like, Falco. In that case, I usually just hang and wait to react. UAir has ******** disjointedness so use that. Another is dropping back away from the stage and trying to space a BAir to hit with your head in an attempt to stage spike.

To get more fuel, stand on the stage. That's it. You can run around, do whatever so long as you're on the ground. This includes your ledge-roll if you need some fuel and can't get back up from the ledge. You'll be invincible for a bit to boot.

UThrow actually doesn't even kill lightweights till 160%+ with good DI. If you really want throw kills, B/FThrow by the edge is great, but you have to do it before they realized you grabbed them. F/BThrow KO %s are variable based on where you are on the stage and if you can throw them before they realize it or not.

Xyro. I'm mad at you. I saw you this weekend and you didn't think to sit down and talk ROB with me? Ahaha.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
If I have to approach someone, I usually use my ground game to approach. FTilts/DTilts since those lead directly into Jab/DTilt/Grab mix-ups.

Ledge stalling with ROB is bad. It puts him in a horrible position unless you're fighting like, Falco. In that case, I usually just hang and wait to react. UAir has ******** disjointedness so use that. Another is dropping back away from the stage and trying to space a BAir to hit with your head in an attempt to stage spike.

To get more fuel, stand on the stage. That's it. You can run around, do whatever so long as you're on the ground. This includes your ledge-roll if you need some fuel and can't get back up from the ledge. You'll be invincible for a bit to boot.

UThrow actually doesn't even kill lightweights till 160%+ with good DI. If you really want throw kills, B/FThrow by the edge is great, but you have to do it before they realized you grabbed them. F/BThrow KO %s are variable based on where you are on the stage and if you can throw them before they realize it or not.

Xyro. I'm mad at you. I saw you this weekend and you didn't think to sit down and talk ROB with me? Ahaha.

1. I talked to you this past weekend and realized you really did kinda quit. That made me wanna use rob. Then i realize tx has NO robs and that made me wanna use rob. So i wanna use rob.

2. So if i fly under BF and then get on the stage for 3 seconds, i can still make it back to the other side of the stage if i were to fly under it again? Like i need to know EXACTLY what refreshes his UP+B. Time? attacks? just getting on the stage?

3. D tilt leads to grabs? Like metaknight does with his?

4. How long does it take to be able to shoot his laser again? I dont care if its fully charged or not.

Sudai

Stuff here
You have to be standing on the stage to refresh fuel. You CAN attack and do other stuff on the ground, but the only thing that actually gives you fuel is standing on the stage. But yeah, fly under > Stand on stage a bit > fly under again works.

If DTilt trips, it leads into grab, but you can't do it on reaction like MK can. At low percents, or if they DI straight up, you don't get a garunteed grab, but they usually shield. Jab and DTilt are both extremely fast and DTilt can shield poke well. That's why I use the three as a mix-up on shield. It's really the best shield pressure ROB has.

I honestly don't know the time on the laser, I have a feel for it. I can give you some pointers on the timing though. There's a LED on top of ROB's head that blinks when you can shoot again. Uhm, you can also do Laser > Gyro > Laser with no pause. It's not hard to get a feel for the timing. What is hard is getting used to angling it. Just go into training or vs a CPU and just fire lasers all day till you get the timing down.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
*sigh* Xyro, we can't do ALL of the work for you lol

Touching the ground refuels you. This means you can be standing, shielding, side dodging, running, walking, crouching, being grabbed, etc. It takes about 2-3 seconds to fully refuel. Running out the timer by flying under the stage is a awful idea, don't do it.

Dtilt only leads to grabs if they trip. It likely won't lead to a grab for you. Jab leads to a grab much better.

Laser recharge is about a good hearty second. Doesn't sound like much, but you'll get the hang of it.

Just go watch every vid on my YouTube channel lol. Some of my recent vids were pretty nice. You'll see great uses of laser against Pierce's Marth, some good spacing against Yes!s Wario, how to get a clutch win v KingToon, and how to beat a spammy MK once I get my vid vs Umbra up (coming soon).

Talk to me on aim whenever

Xyro77

rob has a light on his head? WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH.

I ask about the refuel thing because i am gonna time out SO many people just because i can.

ok so the laser and fuel thing have been answered. jab to grab is better/easier to get instead of d-tilt to grab(which still works).

ok i think thats all i need for right now. the rest is just relearning match-ups. i assum meta/falco/ddd are yalls hardest right?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
****IT! Hard - MK DDD
Fairly Hard - Falco Lucario
Kind of Hard - Snake Olimar
Matches That Are Surprisingly Evenish (or ROBs favor) That Most Other Characters Wish They Could Tango With - ICs Diddy Wario Marth

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
why does lucario do good on rob?
Lucario has a good juggling game, I find that usually if he gets a good hit, a good lucario player can follow you up with a lot of combos. ROB, being a big target, has a hard time avoiding these. Also, Lucario gets stronger as he gets more damage on him. ROB has trouble killing, so unless you manage to gimp lucario, you're likely to be fighting him at high percentages regularly. One thing I hate about the matchup if his f-smash can **** spaced f-tilts because he steps backwards at the beginning of the animation. I eat so many f-smashes bc I go for the tippered f-tilt.

Edit: My First K!!!

Xyro77

lol if thats why lucario does bad, then ill be fine. remember, i MAIN and ONLY use samus.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
lol if thats why lucario does bad, then ill be fine. remember, i MAIN and ONLY use samus.
Im not exactly the best ROB on the boards, thats just my take on why its a tough MU. Idk what the other ROBs would say, I'd wait for Chibo or someone to give their thoughts on the MU.

Sudai

Stuff here
I personally think the Lucario match-up is even-ish (Lucario's favor, but still not too bad), but that comes from playing Lee's Lucario a lot and having a deep understanding of the MU.

Just play with Trela a bunch and you'll be fine, I'm sure. Other than that, Chibo's list is the same thing I'd tell you.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
idk, I'm prob just overreacting, but even just thinking about the matchup theory wise and looking at it data wise (comparing hitboxes, kill %s and moves) it just doesnt add up. lucarios hitboxes trump ROBs, and ROB has no legit kill moves on that thing so Lucarios gonna be dishin out beast attacks in no time, and you wont be able to kill him anytime soon.

i mean maybe the labels like fairly hard were wrong, but it still seems appropriate, i think lucario is about tied-ish with Falco in terms of fighting them, both easier than MK and DDD, and harder than Snake and Olimar.

Sudai

Stuff here
The Lucario MU is -all- about powershielding. None of his moves are so fast that you can't power shield them and most of his moves have punishable lag on them. It's one of those MU where you have to play 100% reactively or else you get eaten alive.

I don't really know though. A lot could have changed since I last played.

Sudai

Stuff here
The opposite direction that Snake's moving. If he's not moving, SDI the same direction that you are from the center. So like, if you're on the right edge, SDI right.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)

buenob

Smash Lord
need directions please...

with the fsmash it depends on how inside the hitbox you are... if you're really close to her SDI towards, if far away, SDI away... also, you can SDI down/towards her to give you some extra pixels if you think you might die...

don't forget to actually DI the move if you do get hit though lol

nair would be up/away or down/towards, depending on if you're above or below her

usmash is incredibly hard, but i think you can SDI up and then jump not sure though

Tin Man

Smash Hero
for the Usmash, I SDI'd down & away then shielded, need a full shield

edit: didn't happen on command though, I usually always try to go up and fall back in >.>, I should try going down on purpose though

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
So I've got a tourney this weekend and I've played brawl once in the last several months.

Wifi? Steroids? What should I do?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Sleep with both the tournament organizers and the panelists for power rankings in your area. That's how I manage to "do well" despite "not doing well"

Sudai

Stuff here
You'll be fine. I remember after my first big break, I went to Florida and I took 4 while high as balls with no practice before hand. Lack of playing does not effect robots, we still have all the data. lol

Silhouette

Smash Lord
So I've got a tourney this weekend and I've played brawl once in the last several months.

Wifi? Steroids? What should I do?

A little of both, with a 24/7 hardcore training/exercise regiment, then win the tournament, and film every moment of it.

Then make a Rocky Balboa style montage out of it and post it on youtube.

Ill be waiting.

Sleep with both the tournament organizers and the panelists for power rankings in your area. That's how I manage to "do well" despite "not doing well"
this is also an option.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
So you know how when you glide toss towards the edge the edge stops your momentum?
Well I did some wierd *** thing where I Tripped, Rolled out of my trip and instantly GTed toward the edge and it laucnhed me off the edge with pretty good momentum O_O. Has this happened to someone before?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
ummmm.....well....first of just saying but nnt many player play normal brawl (Vbrawl.....Vanilla Brawl) that much.....since there is no tripping in any of the hacked version...well...what i'm trying to say is what ever you did will not really affect most robs.

But it sound pretty awesome!
:)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I don't think that's happened to me, but I do have a replay of my snake uptilting a cpu Jigglypuff from under a platform on battlefield (Jigglypuff is on the platform, i'm under and a little to the right) and then getting grabbed out of it. I got grabbed by the disjointed part that wasn't even my foot and snake pretty much teleported up, appearing in the grab

Deadweight

Smash Ace
ummmm.....well....first of just saying but nnt many player play normal brawl (Vbrawl.....Vanilla Brawl) that much.....since there is no tripping in any of the hacked version...well...what i'm trying to say is what ever you did will not really affect most robs.

But it sound pretty awesome!
:)
O_O
Umm...I'm not even going to try arguing this. Lets just say. Go to the Tournament listings. Count the number of Brawl tourneys. Count the number of B-brawl tourneys. Come back to me then. kthx

but yea...Im going to try and recreate it :o Cause it was neat.

DiZmY??

Smash Cadet
So why isnt my snake, "DACUS"ing like crazy? Or why isnt my ganondorf, stopping me out laglessly. OR why isnt my snake using down-b to recover, or why isnt he b-reversing??? I know what your saying but, its not in their programming

Sudai

Stuff here
Because most ATs were unintended so the computers don't "know" to do the inputs to do them. Glide tossing and DACUS is a physics/animation exploit..aka something not intended so the computers were never -specifically- programmed to do them, but sometimes it happens. Just like when CPUs WD'd in Melee.

Top Bottom