• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resident Evil 5

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Ahem...highlight and click at your own risk. NSFW (Not safe for work/school etc...use your common sense!)

http://kotaku.com/5168448/shevas-sexy-secret-costume

:O

Btw, tomorrow is the day! :p

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Capcom Confirms, Prices Versus Mode for Resident Evil 5

http://kotaku.com/5168756/capcom-confirms-prices-versus-mode-for-resident-evil-5
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/12/resident-evil-5-versus-dlc-confirmed-costs-money/

"The Versus mode will cost $5 on the Playstation Network and 400 Microsoft Points on the Xbox 360 and pits players against each other in a contest of survival, according to Capcom."

I'm not paying for that... =/

"Versus allows up to four players to match wits in online battles across two very different game types. Slayer's Rule is a point-based game that challenges players to kill Majinis. In Survivor's Rule, players hunt the most dangerous game, each other! Players can begin the hunt as Chris, Sheva or other secret characters, and choose from either one-on-one or two-versus-two team matches for either of the two gameplay styles."

Some reviews:

http://kotaku.com/5168661/resident-evil-5-review-a
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/12/joystiq-review-resident-evil-5/

EDIT: Meta-reviews

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/12/metareview-resident-evil-5/
http://kotaku.com/5168819/frankenreview-resident-evil-5

EDIT 2: Capcom defends $5 price for 'Versus' DLC...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/13/capcom-defends-charging-for-resident-evil-5-versus-dlc/

"they claim that the price covers development of the new features which go "above and beyond the initial scope" of the game, as well as bandwidth costs associated with implementing additional online multiplayer offerings."

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Micro-transactions are just getting worse and worse, now they charge you for games modes too. I can't believe people are still buying into that non-sense.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I hope that no-one buys the 'Versus' mode DLC because I personally think that it's unfair for Capcom to charge players for multiplayer modes...which were probably completed by launch but they decided to withhold it and charge us for it.

EDIT: Just went to my local Wal-Mart and Futureshop and they were selling RE5 (regular edition for the 360) for $65-70, I'll just wait till they lower it to regular 360 prices...

'Versus' mode DLC half-price for Japan.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/14/resident-evil-5-versus-dlc-dated-and-priced-in-japan/

"Capcom recently revealed the DLC's price for Japan: 160 on Xbox Live, or ¥250 on PSN. That's less than half of the North American cost for the same content."

=D

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Ok so, after watching a play through of Resident Evil 5

I'm pretty disappointed overall.

Pros;
-Kept AI similar to that of RE4
-Partner is useful
-LOTS of Variety; in terms of how you dealt with different enemies [aka riding on a hummer shooting things, shooting El Gigante in first person]
-Excellent graphics
-Different bug enemies
-Different and unique platforming ideas
-Boss fights were really good and boss design was really good

Cons;
-Feels too Actiony
-Feels like a clone to RE4 [que; trucks trying to run into you]
-No atmosphere build up
-the idea of Survivor horror is non-existant
-The linear path is pretty similar to RE4, going from slum folk town to a umbrella/triclla facility at the end...
-we already know who jill is from the start..its a no brainer
-the worm las plagas aren't..really that scary. Plus the a similar worm boss reappears in the game 3 times. The gimmick only flew with me once..second and third time i just kinda frowned on it.
-The sound track was WAY over the top. Not appropriate for a horror game.

Now dont run me over with a truck here. These are my impressions based off of watching someone else play RE5. I do not own a Xbox or PS3. But i've played and LOVED the **** out of RE4. I just think the Las Plagas gimmick only really DID well in RE4. I just wasnt impressed by the same idea and gimmick rehashed in RE5.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I think a ton of ideas were brought from RE4, including bosses and characters.

2 examples are
The first boss reminds me a lot of Salazar's Right Hand Man, while Irving reminds me a lot of Salazar himself.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I think a ton of ideas were brought from RE4, including bosses and characters.

2 examples are
The first boss reminds me a lot of Salazar's Right Hand Man, while Irving reminds me a lot of Salazar himself.
It's the same things though isn't it? Like the 'Las Plagas' or whatever they where *even Chris says it like 3 minutes into the game*. I can't remember the name of those things they would inject everyone with. They should look as if inspired from the enemys in 4. Seeing as how Wesker got his hands on it in 4 and they talked about it in Umbrella Chronicles to. Also reading the memo's and stuff you run into throughout the game will let you know why the enemys look alot like them.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
RE5 ships 4 million worldwide,

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/16/resident-evil-5-ships-4-million-copies-worldwide/
http://kotaku.com/5170402/resident-evil-ships-four-million-copies

"Take note that means shipped from Capcom to retailers, not sold through to customers."

"Also announced was the fact the demo was also downloaded over 4 million times across both 360 and PS3, and that this is the biggest launch for any Resident Evil game to date."

"According to the company, the survival horror action game has already shipped more than 4 million copies worldwide since March 5, when it first infected Japanese retail shelves."

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Some points for me:
The fact that every weapons highest upgrade is unlimited ammo made me sad. But having The Mercenaries mode with Wesker in there again made it all balance out. I ran into cheesey dialouge, but it wouldn't be Resident Evil without it. I liked Irving alot for some reason, even though he looked like he had Down Syndrome and had a massively thick New York accent. Story line is what you'd expect from RE games.
The fact that by this point Wesker has all the viruses and yucky bug thing data and is pretty much a god was plenty horror in itself, fight against him and tell me you dont get scared the first time he bamf crushes you.
I did hate the fact that they forced in a very very bad cover system towards the end. It happened to screw me over big time in certain fights, especially against a boss when I tryed to reaction command a counter and I suddenly took cover and got beaten to a pulp. Reaction cutscenes got very annoying, especially towards the end.

Overall, I loved the game. If you liked RE 4 then you'll love this one. If you want to keep at the 'it's not a survival horror' bandwagon, then there are plenty of other survival horror games for you.

comboking

Smash Master
I get to Play RE5 soon
any tips? oh yeah you guys have to watch a RE5 speed run
They are talking about one on Speed demos archives

D20

Smash Lord
I've played through the entire game, and I can honestly say that it is very solid. The game focuses more on suspense and excitement than fear and horror; it doesn't quite feel like a RE game. This doesn't mean it is bad... just different. I would highly recommend that you start your first game on the harder difficult, because the game is fairly unrewarding and easy on the other difficulties.

The game is good... just not quite as good as RE 4.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've played through the entire game, and I can honestly say that it is very solid. The game focuses more on suspense and excitement than fear and horror; it doesn't quite feel like a RE game. This doesn't mean it is bad... just different. I would highly recommend that you start your first game on the harder difficult, because the game is fairly unrewarding and easy on the other difficulties.

The game is good... just not quite as good as RE 4.
Better than I would've put it.

I've beat it, and am going on the hardest mode now.

RE4 does beat this game out...badly. The story was better.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Seeing as how I was looking forwards to a survival horror game, I think I may get Dead Space instead. Does anyone have any words for that game?
You should probably post your question in the "Dead Space" thread. (if we have one, not sure)

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Omis: I haven't played RE5, but I have Dead Space for the PC.

...it's ok. It's definitely scary, but the controls for the PC are pretty...meh. I went in expecting a first person view or at least something closer to RE4. Instead, you get a guy who takes up literally the entire left third of the screen. The controls....well, I dunno. I probably need to play a little more to accurately assess it, but they're the reason I stopped playing it to begin with.

If you can get it on a console, do so; it'd probably be better.

/offtopic

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
While I haven't completely finished the game I'd have to say that while it doesn't have the impact that Resident Evil 4 had on most people with the atmosphere and story arch, RE5 is certaintly a game you will enjoy.

But I can't stress it enough that to really enjoy this game you must play it co-op with someone. It doesn't matter whether its online or playing with your friend next to you but it adds a nice twist when ever you are attacked and work together to survive...(and laugh at your friend if they die...stupidly)

Haven't thought of even getting the versus thing unless they decide to add in more DLC like other Mercenaries characters (I miss HUNK) or alternate weapons or costumes.

On average I'd say that just like if you have a GC, PS2, or even a Wii that you should get RE4 I say that if you have a 360 or PS3 that this certaintly a game that you should get since co-op alone makes me stop playing SF4 to do this.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
I highly doubt that RE5 will be ported to the wii in the near future, and besides even if it was released the odds would be very strong that:
1: Significant graphic reduction to the extent that it will look similiar to RE4 in comparison
2: Wii-mote aiming...no thanks
3: Anything in terms of online DLC would be gone and doing on-line co-op doesn't seem to be a good thing with my thoughts on wifi

The odds of it being ported to the wii is equivalent to SF4 getting brought to the wii...

Ladybug

Smash Lord
The best part of RE5 is the chick and walking behind her staring at her *** the whole time. :) That's what I did the first 5 minutes of the game with the guy I was playing with cause he was the chick.

It really is a fun game.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I highly doubt that RE5 will be ported to the wii in the near future, and besides even if it was released the odds would be very strong that:
1: Significant graphic reduction to the extent that it will look similiar to RE4 in comparison
2: Wii-mote aiming...no thanks
3: Anything in terms of online DLC would be gone and doing on-line co-op doesn't seem to be a good thing with my thoughts on wifi

The odds of it being ported to the wii is equivalent to SF4 getting brought to the wii...
What's wrong with Wii mote aiming? It was perfect for RE4. And I wouldn't mind the graphics reduction. I play RE for the story.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind a Wii port seeing as how I honestly thought the Wii version of RE 4 was the best one, but that online co-op issue is a pretty big one on the Wii for me. I honestly can't play with the AI in RE 5 at all. All she ever does is either stand directly infront of me when I try to aim or pump and endless stream of bullets into my back and making my aim go way off with every shot so my aim is even more useless than having her standing in the way.

I don't think a game has stressed 'hold my hand' teamwork as much as the Professional mode does in this game. Literally, if you aren't within two feet of your partner when they get hit once by anything, its game over. Capcom has the best hard settings.

Top Bottom