• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resident Evil 5

The.End

Smash Cadet
Wait, there is no pause menu? :confused:
Well after playing the 360 Demo, There IS a pause menu, just that i doubt it will be working online. I haven't tried to use it online actually... But in single player, you could pause the game to change your controls etc... It's just that to switch weapons and stuff, it's realtime. So you gotta be careful :)
RE5 with tank controls works better for me, i liked it that way in RE4. Run and gun = RE5 is not a survival horror anymore. I mean, it is already straying from the genre of survival horror... but that will be the final step, as mentioned before.
The demo had a few bugs, but none the less, it was good. Co-op is cool, but it isn't really adding to the 'scary' aspect of the game. Although i hear there will be areas where you will have to hold a lantern instead of a gun >=D Looks like your partner is stuck defending now... Hopefully that will help the horror part.
That's about all i had to say.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Well after playing the 360 Demo, There IS a pause menu, just that i doubt it will be working online. I haven't tried to use it online actually... But in single player, you could pause the game to change your controls etc... It's just that to switch weapons and stuff, it's realtime. So you gotta be careful :)
RE5 with tank controls works better for me, i liked it that way in RE4. Run and gun = RE5 is not a survival horror anymore. I mean, it is already straying from the genre of survival horror... but that will be the final step, as mentioned before.
The demo had a few bugs, but none the less, it was good. Co-op is cool, but it isn't really adding to the 'scary' aspect of the game. Although i hear there will be areas where you will have to hold a lantern instead of a gun >=D Looks like your partner is stuck defending now... Hopefully that will help the horror part.
That's about all i had to say.
At least your partner can actually defend herself unlike Ashley in RE4.

"HELP ME LEON!" "UMMMM IM KINDA BUSY RIGHT NOW SHOOTING 10 PEOPLE WALKING TOWARDS ME!" "FAILURE ASHLEY HAS BEEN CAPTURE/KILLED/ETC." "..."

And im not too fond on the idea that when you press 'y' to go to your inventory box that the game is still going on...re4 hit in on the nail by pausing the game and allowing you to do whatever you wanted in your weapons/items box.

I'm really excited about the co-op through. =) (I wish that RE4 had co-op)

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
You just gotta hot-key the weapons and quickly learn to identify items by a split second of looking at them. After playing the demo two or three times I could quickly tell what was recovery items and which ammo was for weapons I didn't have. A quick Y plus select the item A, A and you can toss it or use it without getting yourself in harms way. Memory and reflexes may be required.

duals

Smash Journeyman
and idea what the merchant is going to be like? if there is one at all?

When playing the demo, I got a lot of money (im sure you guys as well) and i started thinking what the merchant is going to be like in RE5.... Same merchant? different merchant? no merchant?

and now that RE5 dropped the attache case, do you think you can still buy more room in your inventory?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
and idea what the merchant is going to be like? if there is one at all?

When playing the demo, I got a lot of money (im sure you guys as well) and i started thinking what the merchant is going to be like in RE5.... Same merchant? different merchant? no merchant?

and now that RE5 dropped the attache case, do you think you can still buy more room in your inventory?
Haha, the merchant in RE4 was awesome! "What are you buying?" "What are you selling?" etc.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Haha, the merchant in RE4 was awesome! "What are you buying?" "What are you selling?" etc.
If those are the phrases you remember, I take it you never got any of the special weapons. Those have some cool merchant phrases. They do make the game to easy though. I just got the Chicago Typewriter, and it's like you're playing in godmode. Here's hoping I can get the handcannon before 5 comes out.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I thought the same thing about the merchant, and thought maybe it would be someone from the military like them or somthing along those lines. "Having that guy pop up out of nowhere wouldn't make sense." But after I said that to myself, I realized it didn't make any sense in 4 either. He literally came out of nowhere and sold you stuff from his coat. Guess We'll have to wait to find out where they go with that one.

duals

Smash Journeyman
Im also excited what the special weapons would be like.....

Since RE5 has actual guns and weapons that are not fiction, i wonder if the special weapons would stay modern or plain fantasy.....

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I remember that. I really hope they throw in a fantasy type one in there as a bonus like "Clear Game on Super Hard with Knife to unlock Grenade Pulse Machine Gun" It would be kind of dull to beat the game and all the little bonus stuff and just be rewarded with another gun that's been used in every other game hundreds of times. Unless of course they count the HandCannon as an 'actual gun'. To me a massive revolver magnum with kickback that puts an RPG to shame and the stopping power of the almighty one behind every shot falls into the Fantasy category.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
If those are the phrases you remember, I take it you never got any of the special weapons. Those have some cool merchant phrases. They do make the game to easy though. I just got the Chicago Typewriter, and it's like you're playing in godmode. Here's hoping I can get the handcannon before 5 comes out.
I've beaten the game so many times that I've lost count. I've done everything to getting the chicago typewriter to the infinite rocket launcher and even beating that Ada side-quest.

duals

Smash Journeyman
I've beaten the game so many times that I've lost count. I've done everything to getting the chicago typewriter to the infinite rocket launcher and even beating that Ada side-quest.
You didn't have to say that you beat the ada side quest as the Chicago Typewriter is only available after you beat the side quest... ._.

Sensai

Smash Master
I love it when threads devoted to talking about a game/series of games turns into a pissing contest about who knows the most.

@ duals: I don't think that we'll see the ability to upgrade your 'inventory' anymore. The reasoning is simple: everything only uses up 1 space and there are only 9 different directions on the D-Pad; if you added more space, then it'd be much more difficult, especially since you're no longer able to pause it, to get to anything on the outside of those original 9 directions.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
You didn't have to say that you beat the ada side quest as the Chicago Typewriter is only available after you beat the side quest... ._.
I'm sorry that my memory isn't as good as it used to be 4 years ago when I played RE4 last...please forgive me!

*SARCASM*

Sensai

Smash Master
I've made up my mind: I'm not going to buy it.

I'll get it later, used or something, maybe. I just don't wanna support this game. The ****ty menu screen I could handle, but the forced co-op...bleh.

Sorry. Figured I'd bump this thread with that.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Joystiq's RE5 FAQ is up!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/10/the-resident-evil-5-faq/

Some highlights:

"There are 4 control schemes to choose from. Type A is the basic control type from Resident Evil 4. Type B has L1 to ready weapon and R1 to fire. Type C moves camera control to the right analog stick. Type D, the default control scheme, combines Type B and C for a more intuitive interface. We recommend playing with Type D, although those familiar with RE4 may want to stick with Type A."

"The install takes about 5-10 minutes and will eat up 4819MB of space on your hard drive. (This may change in the final build.)"

"There are 6 chapters in the game. Based on the first half of the game, we'd guess that the final game should take about 15-20 hours to complete."

"Unfortunately, the merchant from RE4 does not return. You will be able to buy and equip items before each chapter section."
<-------------------------SUPER-DUPER SAD FACE! =(

"Players will have to manage their inventory in real-time. (The game won't pause when going through your items). You can only carry up to 9 different items at once, and four of those slots are assigned to your D-Pad. For example, if the pistol is in the top middle box, you'll be able to switch to it automatically by pressing Up on the D-Pad. Unlike previous RE games, the size of individual items does not matter. You will hold 9 different items: an egg takes up the same amount of space as a sniper rifle. By standing next to your partner, you'll be able to swap items with each other."

"Yes. However, they are very infrequently used. You will go for a few hours in the game without encountering the first and only QTE sequence in the first half of the game. (ProTip: Don't relax during the scene with the motorcycles.)"

I've made up my mind: I'm not going to buy it.

I'll get it later, used or something, maybe. I just don't wanna support this game. The ****ty menu screen I could handle, but the forced co-op...bleh.

Sorry. Figured I'd bump this thread with that.
There are pros and cons to the inventory screen. The pro is that no longer will a rocket launcher take up like 12 squares but the con is that the game doesn't pause when you do that so you'd better not need something in your inventory if you're in the middle of a massive battle...and I ok with the idea of forced co-op! I've always wanted a resident evil 5 that had co op (and i dont count outbreak as co op). I'm gonna have a blast playing this game when it comes out! So excited! Althrough I hope your partners A.I is good (i.e. not blocking my way or dying excessively).

And I also respect your opinion. :)

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
There are pros and cons to the inventory screen. The pro is that no longer will a rocket launcher take up like 12 squares but the con is that the game doesn't pause when you do that so you'd better not need something in your inventory if you're in the middle of a massive battle
Your inventory can be mapped to the directional pad. It's not that big of a problem.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Waltz My Dudee Whats Poppin Thats It Thats All I Wanna Say Lol
Who the hell are you?

And a question about the inventory system: do items stack? like can you have two first aid sprays occupy the same space?

Mr_X

Smash Apprentice
It's that way in the demo, so I'm fairly sure it'll be the same in the final version.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
This game seems more like a movie than a game. And who's that really annoying guy with the accent who the bird lady is holding up?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It could mean RE goes back to it's roots or it could mean it becomes more action oriented.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
RE 5 having more action wouldn't be bad. While RE 4&5 are more action oriented than traditional survival horror games, I don't think it's fair to label them as your run-of-the-mill action games. They aren't similar most actions games like Gears or Halo where you can be a badass and blast through enemies. You can't just go hide behind cover and pop out and shoot guys, the enemies come from all angles and you feel like you're being overwhelmed, you never feel secure. This is where most of the games "horror" comes from.

I put that in quotes because, well, it's not really scary it's just has more...tension you could say.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Who the hell are you?

And a question about the inventory system: do items stack? like can you have two first aid sprays occupy the same space?
I don't think so. I think you're stuck with 9 items total, no matter how many of that item you have. But at the same time, I haven't found a yay or a nay on this so I might be wrong, but since they make it clear the amount you can carry, I would assume no.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Hm...I don't think they stack either since even in earlier RE's First aids took up their own slot.

Besides...You really think you'll need to carry that much healing stuff? If the difficulty is that high then most likely healing items will be scattered around at a decent amount throughout the game for you to use.

But does anybody know that before you start a chapter you use money to purchase ammo, weapons, upgrades etc. If you're able to store what you're carrying at the moment like the chests in pre-RE4 games?

comboking

Smash Master
will contain RE4 spoilers

Before the occurance of RE4, The plaga researcher Luis Sera sent an email to the American Goverment but it was intercepted by Tricell and Umbrella. It contained detailed info on Los Plagas. So Wesker sent Ada to deal with Leon and get the Plaga samples. But the problem is Sera has one of the samples. He ends up getting killed by Saddler. Saddler then takes the sample. At the end of the game after Saddler is killed Leon has to give Ada the sample. She is then forced to hand it to tricell. Thats why in the trailer of RE5 Chris says the people in Africa are acting like the Ganados from the Leon report. That is why Leon is rumored to appear in RE5.
That is my guess for the games storyline

of course I did leave somethings out. Because, it is hard to type on the Wii Internet channel.

well Maybe the Merchant from RE4 died in the explosion that happened at the end of Resident Evil 4

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I don't think the plagas sample from RE4 has anything to do with the people in RE5 being infected. it's probably an original virus that came from Kijuju. BTW, the name of the virus was revealed to be
Ouroboros

comboking

Smash Master
well we just have to wait and see
are you going to get a Playthrough on youtube with commentary?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
man, i dont have a 360 and i really want this game...

yet some how apart of me feels it'll be released on to the PC

Also hope you've guys have read up on Wesker's Report if you havent already.

Chaco

Never Logs In
But it wasn't that great for PC, imho.

I have all the versions, and personally like the GC version the best.

Top Bottom