• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reason Why Meta Knight SHOULDN'T be ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phigo

Smash Cadet

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Did you honestly just post videos of the japanese brawl before brawl was released in america. Players didn't know half of the gay tactics used by metaknights today.

Dude. If you are going to post vids. At least post one that was recent. Like 1 to 2 month recent.
it does ._.
all i read is that even a noob mk can beat a good non mk player, so this videos prove the opposite, no one of them can be very skilled at the time the videos were made, so they show, that even a noob (or not that good player) can beat an mk... but if you want, then i will post some actual videos of losing mks, just give me some time =)

tutata

Smash Ace
Actually, his brokenness is arguable. He's not even comparable to any character in Melee due to how much better he is than (almost) everybody else. The closest comparison I can think of is 64 Kirby, due to the fact that Kirby is good AND really easy to pick up in that game. Although Meta may be even worse than that.

Let's look at some things that people take issue with about Meta:
sliding SA grab.
Shuttle loop (I've been killed at like 110 with this as DK)
Tornado (it IS a legit concern. There is no way that this move is balanced.)
absurd range (pretty much outranges Marth)
Nigh impossible to gimp
Absurd gimping ability
Best recovery in the game
No true counters, many ridiculously GOOD matchups
Compared to the rest of the cast, easy to pick up.

From what I've seen and heard, he has ONE weakness:
He's light.

If he's not broken, he's getting there.
i agree with you

Phigo

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCHtyVZbV24 (DK beating MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdz7Lzb8LuM (Link beating MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwEBr1skwBc (Snake beating MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdRJ618G7Y (DDD beating MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25KeXSme04 (Wolf beating MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiWkz-VJlhw (Pkmn Trainer beating MK, ok, the last one was more like a selfdestruct...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia5QPoBeqUg (Pika beating MK [in a time fight])

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0hfWyDfO6k (R.O.B. beating MK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMm67LFmbos (Marth beating MK)

....etc... ._. like you see, mk is beatable, and as long as someone is beatable there is no need to wish him get banned >.< just get better with your character, than excuse in the skill of the best mks and that you cant beat them <.<

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Affinity on the other hand, ruined the game completely and I still am scarred by the painful memories of that nightmare of a deck :(
You make my name sound so evil :laugh:

But seriously, yes, you're completely right. Affinity in MTG was INSANELY broken and its key cards needed to be banned; Meta Knight is nowhere near that point in Brawl.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
....etc... ._. like you see, mk is beatable, and as long as someone is beatable there is no need to wish him get banned >.< just get better with your character, than excuse in the skill of the best mks and that you cant beat them <.<
I watched the DK match. (That MK was spiked and hit by F-smash TWICE). I also watched the Snake match and it was good. Then I got bored.

The only way a character would be unbeatable is if it had infinite health. (Even then the player could accidentally fall off the stage).

Characters do not need to be unbeatable to be banned.

I do not agree with a ban, for right now, but I do dislike the popularity of MK. Many players are switching to MK for tourney purposes and it really drains the fun out of the game.

Why does it make the game less fun?

because many of the characters I enjoy playing become totally unplayable. Only two of many characters that I use are the only acceptable choices in a match with MK: Lucario, (my main), and MK, (a secondary). Being restricted to two characters is not very enjoyable and on top of it all the matchup I enjoy the least with Lucario is MK vs Lucario. So I personally am left with one choice. MK vs MKMany others are resorting to Snake vs MK.

A player who, on youtube, goes by the name of [wt]Jiggles is an outstanding Jigglypuff player. In the matches I viewed, he challenged an IC, Falco, GW, and MK.

vs. IC - He did great.
vs. Falco - Impressive.
vs. GW - Also Impressive.
vs MK - FLAT OUT STUPID

The Jiggly player could barely move vs the MK player, (KingAce). The matchup is just that bad. This is the case for MK vs half-the-cast.

So what happens next?

More and more people play MK. Players play MK because he is fun. Players play MK because they think their chances of winning become higher. Players play MK to counter MK. Players will play MK to counter characters that they are unfamiliar with.

MK is slowly taking over the community. Regardless, Imma stick with Lucario.

<3 Lucario

Excellence

Smash Champion
More and more people play MK. Players play MK because he is fun. Players play MK because they think their chances of winning become higher. Players play MK to counter MK. Players will play MK to counter characters that they are unfamiliar with.

MK is slowly taking over the community. Regardless, Imma stick with Lucario.

<3 Lucario
More power to ya' for sticking with a character you like, over a character who is arguably the best in the game.

Why did I play Meta Knight? Because he looked really bad ***. Why did I stop? Because too many people were running around with him, spamming Shuttle Loop and thinking they were good. Why shouldn't he be banned? Because he wins tournaments and Nentendo spent a lot of money putting him into the game.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
What about the people that worked hard practicing since day one? Banning MK makes all their work go straight down the drain. Also, DK and Snake are wonderful counters for MK. Not only those, but people are learning how to beat him. 90% of the competitive smash community is thinking of ways to beat MK right now. MK may still be the best, but not invincible like he used to be because people are wising up. Just give it time. I'm pretty sure MK won't be as good later on because everyone is putting their heads together so they can beat him. With so many people against MK a weakness will be found soon.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
y whould any 1 ban a character:psycho::psycho: meta knite is top tier so wut? he has a unfair recovery dosnt matter. hes easy 2 beat and hes light.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Also, DK and Snake are wonderful counters for MK.
WRONG. DK only works if the MK doesn't know how to fight him. If the MK knows the DK matchup, the matchup arguably goes in MK's favor (that comes from the DK matchup discussion). According to the Snake matchup, MK is listed as a hard matchup. Doesn't sound like counters to me. There are no MK counters. Just characters that the MK player doesn't know how to fight. It's a matter of surprise.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
WRONG. DK only works if the MK doesn't know how to fight him. If the MK knows the DK matchup, the matchup arguably goes in MK's favor (that comes from the DK matchup discussion). According to the Snake matchup, MK is listed as a hard matchup. Doesn't sound like counters to me. There are no MK counters. Just characters that the MK player doesn't know how to fight. It's a matter of surprise.

Well a good marth could is trouble for MK

if you saw the Neo vs Plank videos, you can see Neo was actually destroying MK for most of the matches, you can look them up yourself (plank is a fairly good MK also)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
NEO and I both would debate you on this. We as well as pretty much the entire Marth community give MK the nod in that match. Slight advantage to MK 60/40.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
There's a debate about the MK vs. Yoshi matchup. Freaking Yoshi, who, unlike other supposed counters for MK, isn't high/top tier.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Sure people are learning to play him... but everyone else needs to work INFINITELY harder than MK just to scrape out a win...

And for the record, I don't see how people can claim spending hours to learn MK because he's pretty simplistic... like, the hardest thing to learn with him is how to reverse a shuttle loop -_-

Clouderz

Smash Ace
Sure people are learning to play him... but everyone else needs to work INFINITELY harder than MK just to scrape out a win...

And for the record, I don't see how people can claim spending hours to learn MK because he's pretty simplistic... like, the hardest thing to learn with him is how to reverse a shuttle loop -_-

nevermind ._.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
not really, try recovering to the stage against someone who knows how to play against MK XD
You have a bunch of options. Under most intents and circumstances if any character is capable of keeping MK offstage, you always have the option of gliding to the other side of the stage, then up bing to the ledge or stage [as a last resort]... and that's if your nado/drill rush/loop doesn't own them for chasing you to begin with (a few characters can spike you if they get lucky, that's all there really is to fear).

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I'm amazed that people are still debating this.

Meta Knight is NOT getting banned. Period.

Keep dreaming MK haters.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think Fox should be banned in melee because he basically has an even matchup with the rest of the cast.

But falco counters him.

Does anybody see the comparisons? Everybody thought sheik was the best character in melee. Give the game a little more time.

Mmac

Smash Lord
If MetaKnight was truely broken, then it would be as clear as day.

He isn't Broken, just good. Characters can beat him, It just requires patience, focus, and strategy

Master Raven

Smash Master
But what if DK also knows about the MK matchup? Then what? I'm not going to call DK and Snake counters to MK because I don't believe he (or Snake) has any true, full-blown counters, but they certainly have better advantages against him than most of the cast.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Yeah, DK fights pretty even fights with both. I'd say that DK vs. Snake is an easier fight than DK vs. Meta.

The DK-Meta matchup goes like this: If DK can consistently kill Meta early (with DSmashes, 9 punches, headbutts to Donkey Punch/Clap), DK will win. If Meta starts living until like 120%, DK is in trouble.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I agree that Snake vs DK is a more even matchup than DK vs MK, and I also agree with you that DK has a good advantage vs MK as long as he utilizes his kill moves against MK well enough at early %.

Has anyone tried to take out tornados with high-angled Ftilts with DK yet? I haven't done this yet but I think this could work better than regular Ftilts as I usually get sucked into the tornado most of the time whenever I try to hit it with a regular Ftilt.

tyler36

Smash Cadet
if Meta Knight were ban then both Fire Emblem characters would have to be ban too

they are just as strong Ike is too strong to even be a character

cutter

Smash Champion
if people would want to ban metaknight then why not ban fox from melee? he was godly back then and probably ogdlier then metaknight then why ban mk?
If a character was to be banned in Melee, it should have been Sheik, not Fox. Sheik made half the cast useless in serious tournament play because they could never, ever, ever, EVER beat her.

Sheik wasn't the only viable character, but she sure did narrow down the metagame considerably. That doesn't fit the criteria for a ban.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I really don't see this thread having any kind of positive effect on the MK boards. The lack of useful threads and the amount of threads like this popping up is beginning to irritate me and probably most other MK mains that come to these boards.

If you still want to debate this, please continue this discussion here -> http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5201632

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
If a character was to be banned in Melee, it should have been Sheik, not Fox. Sheik made half the cast useless in serious tournament play because they could never, ever, ever, EVER beat her.

Sheik wasn't the only viable character, but she sure did narrow down the metagame considerably. That doesn't fit the criteria for a ban.
Agreed. Character level does not mean banning. It's only when the character makes the metagame centered around itself that it warrants a banning.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Has anyone tried to take out tornados with high-angled Ftilts with DK yet? I haven't done this yet but I think this could work better than regular Ftilts as I usually get sucked into the tornado most of the time whenever I try to hit it with a regular Ftilt.
I just run away rather than try to break it with DK. It's really hard to hit him out of it. Sometimes I feel ballsy and grounded up B and hope I get away with it.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
lets already close this discussion, all agree that metaknight is broken but will not be banned, the only ones that argue that meta it's not broken are the meta mains, if meta deserves a ban, he will get it in the future, or hopefully something will be discovered that will make meta crap (i cross my fingers for this to happen)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Meta mains have mental problems, just like snake mains. It was funny, there was a thread similar to this in the snake boards, and they all cried about his weaknesses. They totally disreguarded the fact that he was a total monster, had ridiculous range and all. All they saw was a crappy recovery, and laggy aerials, etc. In my opinion his recovery is pretty **** good when used right. It's very hard to gimp a smart snake (unless your metaknight or d3 or kirbeh)

Metaknight, he's just light. People are just saying hes your average character, which is stupid. At least admit he is better than everyone else god dammit.

Edit: I do not have problems with these characters as much as I do luigi. GO figure.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
Meta mains have mental problems, just like snake mains. It was funny, there was a thread similar to this in the snake boards, and they all cried about his weaknesses. They totally disreguarded the fact that he was a total monster, had ridiculous range and all. All they saw was a crappy recovery, and laggy aerials, etc. In my opinion his recovery is pretty **** good when used right. It's very hard to gimp a smart snake (unless your metaknight or d3 or kirbeh)

Metaknight, he's just light. People are just saying hes your average character, which is stupid. At least admit he is better than everyone else god dammit.

Edit: I do not have problems with these characters as much as I do luigi. GO figure.

I totally agree with you, they try to downplay Metaknight.

Even though he has some weaknesses a smart meta can get around them, and he has enough Pros like speed, damage racking abilities, ko potential (dsmash is faster than alot of his moves, has good range, and can ko at points on the stage where others cant, or atleast bring them far enough off stage that they can't recover, or he can gimp them.)

I see ppl learning how to play against metaknight and the craze dieing down, there will still be lots out there because he is a good character, but idk about there being as many as there are now.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
He's beatable. No character should be banned unless they're completely unbeatable. Metaknight has quite a few even match ups so why ban him? If he ***** everyone 90:10 then I could understand.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
your an idiot he copied off me. mine was out before his
WOW...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5201667#post5201667

No **** buddy, I know yours was created first; that's not the point. I just don't see any good coming out of this topic while its here in the MK boards. There are more important MK-specific things we could be discussing.

Think before you start calling people idiots, so you don't end up looking like one yourself.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see this thread having any kind of positive effect on the MK boards. The lack of useful threads and the amount of threads like this popping up is beginning to irritate me and probably most other MK mains that come to these boards.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I fully agree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom