• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reason Why Meta Knight SHOULDN'T be ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
People have been saying Meta Knight should be ban because hes extremely good. I believe this is bull****.
1. )He goes even with characters and some character even counter him.
2.) People say his tornado is too good and can't be stopped even tho characters like DK, GAW, Snake, ROB, Falco, Lucario and a few others can knock him out of his tornado. And people can move their shield and block tornado
3.) I've asked top players like M2K, Azen, and Ninja Link if Meta Knight should be ban and they agree that Meta Knight shouldn't be ban and I hope they see this thread so they can argue why Meta Knight should'nt be ban

Post what you think about Meta Knight and start a discussion

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
3.) I've asked top players like M2K, Azen, and Ninja Link if Meta Knight should be ban and they agree that Meta Knight shouldn't be ban and I hope they see this thread so they can argue why Meta Knight should'nt be ban
Don't they all main MK though? If so, they're being biased. I main Diddy if he was highest tier and people wanted him banned, I would be saying 'lol don't b@n him.'

Dojo

Smash Champion
Azen mains lucario.
NL mains diddy.

They've just adapted to the game and can play against mk's instead of complaining like 90% of the community.

napZzz

Smash Hero
yes he should

he does NOT go even with the cast, he's usually a counter, a neutral to some, and gets soft countered by snake and DK can give him a hard time.

I think he should be banned just on videos of seen. People fail with their main so what happens? They bust out meta knight.

And if you look at recent large tournaments and see characters that appear its

meta meta meta snake meta meta meta [a few others]meta meta meta snake

If meta isnt banned then brawl tourneys are going to turn into who has the best meta >.>

Dojo

Smash Champion
Show me a big east coast tourney thats like that.
Or even a southwest. Texas has like 2 mk mains in the pr. Cali has like 1 or so. Its not all just meta....

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
X.I.I E.S.T.I.C.L.E Aug 9th
Top 4
1. Azen(Lucario)
2. Chu Dat(Kirby)
3. Ninja Link(Diddy Kong)
4. Mew2King(Meta Knight)
there was a total of 80 people and this was a East Coast Regional Circuit Event

Dojo

Smash Champion
Exactly. Best MK in the world gets 4th place. Behind lucario KIRBY and diddy. The fact that they rapesauce doesn't change the fact that if the best MK in the world can be beaten, the rest of us can.

Complainers just need to put in work.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Ummm...NOBODY should be banned, not even the Meta. I'm pretty sure when Sakurai said Brawl would be balanced he meant something like there would be no broken characters in Brawl. Anyway, saying metaknight is broken is like saying melee fox or marth is broken: sure they are all extremely good, but they weren't banned, so why should meta?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
something i see a lot is M2K being cited as the best Meta Knight in the world, and showing tournaments where he lost to a non-MK char, then concluding MK is not broken.
But how do you know that NinjaLink and Azen aren't vastly superior to M2K, and consistently overcoming a character disadvantage?
Besides, they are the best of the best. The best of the best don't usually turn out to be near equals. Not in games of skill that is. In track and field, we have near equals as the best of the best, but that's because they push the human body near the limit. In games of skill though, there can be huge differences of ability. Take golf for example, a game of form and technique. Tiger Woods dominated for many years. Golfers began to show up to tournaments to see if they could make second. In chess, grandmasters could and can play rookless and beat players who had dedicated their life to chess. Does that prove the disadvantage of playing without a rook is tolerable? That if we set up the option to have the rook or not, we would get takers on both sides?

(that's sort of the criteria we should have here, that someone can pick a character that is not the best without greatly jeopardizing their chances of winning. How greatly the chances have to be jeopardized is up for discussion, and is why some people argue over whether MK is beatable, when they both actually agree on how powerful he is but disagree on what warrants a ban)

I personally think that there is not yet enough tournament evidence to review Meta Knight for banning, not at this time. But i do think that if we ever get to player rankings that look like:

(Label: Situation A)
Azen's Lucario
M2K's Meta Knight
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK

Situation A does warrant a ban. In situation A, Azen is an exception to the rule, probably due to the nature of genius and that those with extreme ability can far surpass even lesser geniuses.

OverLade

Smash Hero
something i see a lot is M2K being cited as the best Meta Knight in the world, and showing tournaments where he lost to a non-MK char, then concluding MK is not broken.
But how do you know that NinjaLink and Azen aren't vastly superior to M2K, and consistently overcoming a character disadvantage?
Besides, they are the best of the best. The best of the best don't usually turn out to be near equals. Not in games of skill that is. In track and field, we have near equals as the best of the best, but that's because they push the human body near the limit. In games of skill though, there can be huge differences of ability. Take golf for example, a game of form and technique. Tiger Woods dominated for many years. Golfers began to show up to tournaments to see if they could make second. In chess, grandmasters could and can play rookless and beat players who had dedicated their life to chess. Does that prove the disadvantage of playing without a rook is tolerable? That if we set up the option to have the rook or not, we would get takers on both sides?

(that's sort of the criteria we should have here, that someone can pick a character that is not the best without greatly jeopardizing their chances of winning. How greatly the chances have to be jeopardized is up for discussion, and is why some people argue over whether MK is beatable, when they both actually agree on how powerful he is but disagree on what warrants a ban)

I personally think that there is not yet enough tournament evidence to review Meta Knight for banning, not at this time. But i do think that if we ever get to player rankings that look like:

(Label: Situation A)
Azen's Lucario
M2K's Meta Knight
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK
MK

Situation A does warrant a ban. In situation A, Azen is an exception to the rule, probably due to the nature of genius and that those with extreme ability can far surpass even lesser geniuses.
I can't lie that's actually a good theory, and not entirely inaccurate. Still, I dont think we're looking at ban.....s

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
People tend to counterpick ROB with MK. Thats why you'll have many MK's fighting you if your a ROB main.
MK shouldnt be banned, cause he has his weaknesses. You have to learn how to predict and dodge better, and fight more MK's for practice.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
People tend to counterpick ROB with MK. Thats why you'll have many MK's fighting you if your a ROB main.
MK shouldnt be banned, cause he has his weaknesses. You have to learn how to predict and dodge better, and fight more MK's for practice.

And what would this weakness be?

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
I know, extremly slow attacks with huge lag....meta should be banned, it's the Akuma of smash

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
His weakness would be his weight, and he falls helplessly after all his B moves. And always get out of range of his downsmash and shuttle loop. And learn what moves can counter his tornado. And MK moves slowly through the air, so he cant chase you as fast in the air like he can on the ground.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You guys come over to the diddy boards, we have NL and alot of other people. Make people john about how every diddy spams bananas (apparantly.) NL ***** harder than any MK

null55

Smash Master
Ummm...NOBODY should be banned, not even the Meta. I'm pretty sure when Sakurai said Brawl would be balanced he meant something like there would be no broken characters in Brawl. Anyway, saying metaknight is broken is like saying melee fox or marth is broken: sure they are all extremely good, but they weren't banned, so why should meta?
Did Sakurai intend for wavedashing? Did he intend for lag canceling? What about ghosting, boost smashing, boost pivot grabbing, or wing dashing?

Sakurai's intentions really don't mean much, since people who discover certain exploits and adv. techs can shift the game's balance. And if he did want to make it balanced he really didn't do a good job. Any idiot can see that Captain Falcon is sooooo not comparable to Meta Knight or Snake. This game is pretty unbalanced, like a lot of fighting games. That's just the way it is.

And you really can't compare Meta Knight to Melee Fox. Fox was very difficult to master compared to Meta Knight.

Dojo

Smash Champion
And you really can't compare Meta Knight to Melee Fox. Fox was very difficult to master compared to Meta Knight.
I agree with your entire statement, but you must understand the whole game was wayyyy harder to get even decent at compared to this game. I'll leave that at that, dont wanna go into melee vs brawl. Back onto discussion.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
His weakness would be his weight, and he falls helplessly after all his B moves. And always get out of range of his downsmash and shuttle loop. And learn what moves can counter his tornado. And MK moves slowly through the air, so he cant chase you as fast in the air like he can on the ground.
Also pikachu in the first smash and fox in melee were light, that it's not a valid excuse, the part when he falls helpless i agree with you, but even if I agree in that part his shuttle loop sends yo far away and the tornado it's hard to punish if it gets you; he can chase yo in the air >_>

Even with all of that i think it deserves a ban, maybe there could be something like a soft ban, yo know like a gentleman pact, all the top players should not use Mk, if some noobs wants to use it ok

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Meta Knight ISNT broken. If all your going to argue is tornado is gay leave this thread please
Actually, his brokenness is arguable. He's not even comparable to any character in Melee due to how much better he is than (almost) everybody else. The closest comparison I can think of is 64 Kirby, due to the fact that Kirby is good AND really easy to pick up in that game. Although Meta may be even worse than that.

Let's look at some things that people take issue with about Meta:
sliding SA grab.
Shuttle loop (I've been killed at like 110 with this as DK)
Tornado (it IS a legit concern. There is no way that this move is balanced.)
absurd range (pretty much outranges Marth)
Nigh impossible to gimp
Absurd gimping ability
Best recovery in the game
No true counters, many ridiculously GOOD matchups
Compared to the rest of the cast, easy to pick up.

From what I've seen and heard, he has ONE weakness:
He's light.

If he's not broken, he's getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom