• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
hey someone needs to make a texture hack of the snake that was in samurai pandas sig. that snake is on that James/Bryant swagger right now.

Karmacide

Smash Lord
?! I've searched the forums for this and could never find the codes (seeing as the search function brought unrelated threads). I trust the USB loader is for using the SD card? Phantomwing's v2.1 code doesn't require the USB loader codes, so I never found it.
THe USB loader is for loading ISOs off of a USB device. Say a USB hard drive or a Flash drive.

There is currently no way to load music off of an SD card into the game. Im actually replacing the music in the ISO with my own.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Thread be stickied. General discussion threads are awesomefun.

Random dumb question: Do anyone know if DACUS is a glitch or just part of the design? It's being bugging me for a while now, lol
Better question: Does it really matter which it is?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
panda, are you going to the MWC championships? We should MM :)

old question: when would you guys consider someone semi pro/pro/etc?

nevershootme

Smash Master

My thoughts:

there are vague definitions of such terms

you got local, regional, national levels.

Local: stays in their city the whole time, hardly goes to other places in the state

Regional: travels to other states within region or adjacent region (from ATL South to Southwest)

National: Travels across the nation (To even cross continents) to compete.

Then you got Amateur and Pro status

Amateur: Places well (Top 6, 8, 12, or 16 depending on attendence) yet not enough to reach top 3

Pro: Places top 3 often and at times consistently

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

I'll be there, but to get me to ditto would be like convincing me to get my teeth pulled. I hate the ditto.

Also, I try to not think about those terms. Doesn't really matter.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I'll be there, but to get me to ditto would be like convincing me to get my teeth pulled. I hate the ditto.

Also, I try to not think about those terms. Doesn't really matter.
How about a secondaries MM?

And I agree with you that that doesn't really matter. I was just wondering cause people have been saying things like "I'm not quite good enough to be considered semi pro yet but i'm getting there" as an example. So I was just wondering what people consider semi pro/pro to be.

Out of curiosity, how much money have people here made from tournaments?

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Hey guys! Get a PS3 with MGS4 and play some MGO with me! :colorful:

I can't seem to find a big boss texture :/ Is their a tutorial on how to make textures ? I'm sure I would do a good job :)

:023:

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Ran is too nice.

I've made $30 of small tourneys for Brawl, and roughly $400 in 2 years playing Melee. (Only locals... and like once a month for $25... pretty much all contestants were noobs who couldn't even SHFFL or tech chase at all... so easy money)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I have something dumb to discuss. To me, it seems like snake's ftilt and utilt were intended to have the range they do because its not just one move that they might have ****ed up on, its two. But teh question is, why and how do they have this range?

I think utilt is snakes junk coming out and slapping people, because its that big and hits that hard. Teh ftilt is beyond me though @_@
He inherited the range from Big Boss. Also, he received CQC training from Big Boss himself.

Yoshi is my low tier main obviously.

Because Snake's eyes are mirrored, an eyepatch can't be done, but maybe blood can be placed around the right eye to emulate the moment after the torture scene.

I'm almost done but my connection at this time doesn't allow me to post pics or a beta.

All that remains is the Nikita launcher and the grenades. What do you want to do with them?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Thread be stickied. General discussion threads are awesomefun.
Oh sure but when SONICS do it. =P

Y'know...just with every thread ever.

random 2:40pm est fact. this forum (snake), the active users are all directors
I'm....considering becoming active. Social board is teh funz and I wanna work on my horrible, horrible Snake. I love him so much though. ♥

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm not in Sales. =p I'm a repair tech. =d

Ps: I used an honorific, which is being nice. =p

-Ran

Smash Master
Yea, it is. If there's a service and repair store around you, you can probably get it repaired. Unfortunately if you don't have in store repair on your plan, it'd cost 99 bucks. You can purchase a flip for 40 bucks online and repair it yourself though.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I use the speakerphone it works, will last till i convince my dad to get me a rant or something XD

nevershootme

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, how much money have people here made from tournaments?
Dates back to late April of last year most are within the Miami area.

Prize money from playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

-Grand Theft Auto IV for free ($60). 1st place. Some local tournament.
-3rd place in 2v2, $15 gift card. Play-n-Trade Miami Lakes
-3rd place at a anime con Brawl tournament. Got a gamestop poster... Yasumicon at FIU
-3rd place in a $1 mini tournament, got no cash. Play-n-Trade Miami Lakes
-2nd place in 2v2 $50 ($200 split in 4 ways) Play-n-Trade Miami Lakes
-2nd place in 2v2 $39 in store credit and a t-shirt. Play-n-Trade Pembroke Pines
-3rd place in 1v1 $66 single elimination tournament at FIU. between a 3 way split of $200
-1st Place at a 1v1 anime con tournament won Tim and Eric live tickets (Totally worthless)
-1st place in 2v2 with my friend at the same anime con tournament, we got $25 each
-3rd place in 1v1 single elimination tournament at play-n-trade Kendall, $10 gift card
-2nd place in 1v1 house tournament single elimination, $30
-2nd place in 2v2 house tournament, round robin, $14 (out of $28 total)
-1st place in 1v1 at Gamestop in Dolphin Mall, single elim, $25 gift card, FORCED TO USE WIIMOTE AND NUNCHUK!
-3rd place in 1v1 at a friend's tournament, $17, Hollywood, FL
-2nd place in 1v1 at a local store tourney, $20, **** Falco...

so total earnings go to.... $346... FML!!!!!

edit: Panda, I was wondering who made that signature for you, I want to try to make one or request a sig like that for my crew (region, w/e)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Not bad. Not bad at all.

I've made over $500, mainly from State Tourneys and some of it's even from OoS tourneys. That number would be a lot bigger if I counted all the local weeklies I've won, but there's no record of them so I'm not sure how much I've made from them.

Smash is my only job at the moment :laugh:

I've been wondering. Is the money gained really worth the money you spend getting out there and doing everything? I always thought you would spend more on an airfare ticket or gas to drive out there cost more than anything you would get in return. Plus, any fees for entering typically. Not looking at local, that I can see you gaining more than you spend.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
When I go OoS my goal isn't really to make money, cause when you have top players going also it's kind of difficult to win those. My main goal is to get better, play all the top players, and see how I compare to everyone.

Though I don't mind when I actually do get some money out of it, obviously. One of the two OoS tourneys I've gone to I've come out ahead, money wise.

-Ran

Smash Master
Well let's see.

I make around 2,500 USD a month working full time. This requires little effort, and only takes up 80 hours of my month. I also get free cell phone service, and other benefits.

For Smash, we have the initial cost of the Wii + Game + Controller. 250 + 50 + 20 = 350 after tax. So right there, we have a pretty hefty hill. The average person is going to go to ten tournaments before they become good enough to win at least their entry fee back, and some of them never do. So that's now another hundred dollars mounted against you. Factoring in Gas, eating the day of the tournament, travel time, etc... So let's say the average tournament costs 10 dollars, and that all the miscellaneous fees for the day are another 10 dollars. So going to ten tournaments locally is going to cost 200 dollars. You're now at 550 USD spent without even making a penny back.

Now if you start to consider travel time to practice, renting TVs at a lan center, etc... You could easily spend 50 bucks a month just becoming better at the game.

So let's say we have ten tournaments that are biweekly in a state. So over the course of five months you'll have spent eight hundred dollars without a single monetary return.

Long story short of it? In order to make money, you need to have the 'gift' or a lot of scrubs in your area. So if you want money, just get a job. =p

SuSa

Banned via Administration
This is why I "crash" scrub tourneys.

I always make my money back and more.

Always.

I do however try to make it to larger tourneys to become better.

So when I return I crash the scrub parties harder.

nevershootme

Smash Master
true facts, but pretty much i'm just gonna quit smash when i get my job soon enough and then enter tournaments again when i make enough. Working at an engineering firm -_-;

the real small earning is if you attend smaller tournaments full of scrubs, you'll still end up getting $0 profit at the end of the day.

but! you can slowly rack up some money from doing money matches rather than a tournament (with $1-$10 ranges).

case example: A friend who came along to a tourney with me and 3 others last weekend, he started with only $1 and money match people all day, in the end he made more than what 3rd place got in the tournament ($35) but he profited $25 since he participated in singles (costed $10)

So now, if you look at it from that perspective why do we even have prize handouts?

Bringing in a couple of bucks to help pay for everything that the tourney provider spent on all of this is reasonable, but since most tourney players will never make anything it seems kind of pointless to even have a money handout.

Top Bottom