• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

-Ran

Smash Master
Because for the one guy that wins in your state consistently... He can make a few grand in a year. He can start to fly out to other regions and experience SOOOOOOO much compared to you. Smash becomes more of an adventure than you can imagine at that point.

I'll be very happy if I can get to the point where I can fully sustain flying around the US to play a video game.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Because for the one guy that wins in your state consistently... He can make a few grand in a year. He can start to fly out to other regions and experience SOOOOOOO much compared to you. Smash becomes more of an adventure than you can imagine at that point.

I'll be very happy if I can get to the point where I can fully sustain flying around the US to play a video game.
Same here. If I was older during Melee (or if I had my liscence now) I'd be much larger in the tourney scene and possibly be doing nearby OoS tourneys (Nevada, Oregon, Arizona at first) if I started doing well in SoCal/North Cal

My problem is transportation johns.

-Ran

Smash Master
I've traveled four times out of state to Texas, if I recall correctly for three tournaments and one smashfest. The furthest I've driven was nine hours to a tournament in San Antonio.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm 23 [24 in October]. I live alone and have a relatively new car [2006]. w00t for me. =v

-Ran

Smash Master
My main issue is that since I work in a retail environment in a section of the store that has only five employees total, getting a Saturday off is an event that only occurs once a month. Lol.

-Ran

Smash Master
No, I do know a few smashers down here that are pretty serious into it. I just couldn't get into Pokemon to that extent. It was a fad for me as a child since I was on the older end of the spectrum when it came out. The card game had no appeal to me either, since I was already playing Magic the Gathering.

My main issue is that since I work in a retail environment in a section of the store that has only five employees total, getting a Saturday off is an event that only occurs once a month. Lol.
Our johns are a little thing called REAL LIFE.

fixed

Anyone play competitve pokemon? I wanna battle someone :p
Get shoddybattle.

No, I do know a few smashers down here that are pretty serious into it. I just couldn't get into Pokemon to that extent. It was a fad for me as a child since I was on the older end of the spectrum when it came out. The card game had no appeal to me either, since I was already playing Magic the Gathering.
I too was big into for the longest time. Did all sorts of stuff with it, but then the anime lost interest, and all the little spin offs they did. The only thing I still find fun in playing is the mother series. The whole RBY, GSC, RBE, DPP, etc.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I do NOT see how a professional brawler can earn a living. The payout for 1st place at apex was liek only $750. That is like a 2 night stay at a 3 star hotel. And that's not even accounting for the costs of food and transportation.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
IIRC a recent tourney was $1000 (where Ally > M2K) (Yes I consider that recent)

Even if you just stay in your region, you can make a pretty nice bonus. Just can't live off it. If you travel a lot - so long as you win - it's a better bonus.

Locals can (in some regions) be found basically weekly, 1 day tourneys, with $100+ payout. Then there are normally large bi-weeklies you can skip the smaller ones for that pay $300~ +

Then there are the regionals that can pay $500~ +

Then there are those super-large tourneys that sometimes get over $900

And that's "working" just weekends. So let's add a normal job into the factor where you get weekends off.

You end up making $400-$900+ more monthly.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Competitive pokemon is teh awesumz

-Ran

Smash Master
Funny story.

When I quit Smash, I traded in my Wii to Gamestop in January. Four months later, they still had my Wii. I purchased it back from them. WIN.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Parental and transportation johns. I have no job, no car insurance, no car and asking parents for transportation is out of the question. Being asian and all, they'd tell me study and stop playing so much videyah games. I'm not even joking; they weren't happy to hear I won my school tourney fill with scrubs -1 decent player. Yay $50 best buy gift certificate. My parents said, "you should have been studying for orgo" *facepalm / face>book*

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I'd give ya'll the story of how I put myself in a position to become a much better player (which includes things like becoming a moderator to get good at the game and eventually getting in a crew with the players in my sig; yes, I've been working on this for awhile) but I'm lazy and in class right now.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
For me it's money johns. I don't go outside much so I technically NEVER had a curfew.
I was a A- student in school.

I wish my PS3 would read discs so I can play MGS4 again and continue my BBE run.
It stopped reading right beofre I finished Act 1 of my BBE run. :(

Anyway, a pic(hopefully it shows)

I need something to do with the Nikita Launcher.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I have parental, transportation (although there is someone near me i can get rides from...), no wii, and somewhat income johns...

Eternal get a cleaning disc and put it in your PS3 it should clean it

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Did you actually have to like...tryout for the crew? And lol. So basically all of the top 8 in MI are in the same crew. Crew battles in MI must be distressing for the other teams lol.

Transportation johns. Working on it.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont have anything other than OCCASIONAL money john. I almost went out of state recently but didn't have money...I failed. I'm lucky 2 smashers who live really close to me go to tourneys :D

Most of my practice comes from my friend who I play with alot. He's really good so when we play each other its really good practice all around.

-Ran

Smash Master
Most of my practice comes from playing against my co-worker Chaddly at this point. [He's honorable mention on the Louisiana power rankings]. Prior to using Chad, I had a friend that wanted to play competitively with me, but playing against me too much broke his spirit. About once or twice a month I'll go chill with Lee Martin to get practice in, or he'll come to Dibbz [Local lan center] with the rest of the crew from his city which are also power ranked in our state.

So really, I'm always practicing with someone on the power ranking in my state. >>

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I practice with one friend who is better than casual but doesn't research his main (Fox). He's never anybody else so it doesn't help me with matchups. Well, better than casual > comp / wifi if I have internet. Right now I can't go wifi cause of DSL - the lag is so bad I can see each frame moving legit. Sadly my friend is transferring colleges so I'll only have casuals to play against :(

-Ran

Smash Master
When I got to work today they told me we had a mandatory meeting on Saturday for the launch of the Palm Pre at 7am that would last two and a half hours. This makes it impossible for me to go to LAST. [Really big regional tournament.]

Oh wait. I have balls.

I looked my General manager square in the eyes and told him, "My life is mandatory, working here isn't. I scheduled that day off a month ago." He then tried to John for a few minutes, but I wasn't hearing it. He crumbled to my will, and I'm still off, and holding a job. =)

Jv 3 stocked.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I call laziness johns.

My parent's would drive me... they said they would lol. I just don't feel like asking when it's time to ask. I might go to some tourneys sometime this summer.

I know I'll place well... I'm just worried about not knowing anyone :(

Btw, has anyone ever gotten an up tilt stage spike ? :/ I did it on BF against a Samus lol

:023:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
At least you have someone to play.
No one in Far Rockaway plays video games, and Far Rockaway is in some type of limbo between The 5 Boroughs and Long Island. It takes a very long time to leave Far Rockaway Via transportation. Hence why I mainly play single-player games like Zelda, the Metal Gear Series, Final Fantasy, the 8-bit Mega Man games, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and Yoshi's Island.

Top Bottom