• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Whats the best way to deal with Marth's Fair Walling?

@Quik: Welcome Quik, When Lucario is on high percents he has alot of kill moves, even Dtilt can kill floatys at higher percents, as for killing setups,
Footstool->Dair, and
Fair->Nair, if Nair isnt stale
im sure theres more just cant think of em at the moment.
and try to punish landing lag with a Fsmash and Dsmash for the kill, the hitbox's stay out for a decent amount of time.

with the Jabs, just mix it up abit and try to make it unpredictable because they can Spotdodge the grab and forcepalm.

Anyway these are just my opinions and some of my stratergys.
Theres a guide thread and also some tutorial videos called 'innerfire' in the vid thread.
have fun XD.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I just picked up Lucario and want to make him my secondary sometime in the future. I just got a few questions.

What are some good ways to approach? Right now my main approach is F-ar to N-air and when I land I do and U-tilt. I also approach with a single jump double F-air. Any other good approaches?
Well actually there really isnt that much Lucario has in temrs of approaches. usually forceing opponents to approach is the better idea.
Is there any reliable kill setups with Lucario or is killing with him based off of predicting/mindgames?
He has good killing moves, but no real setups to them. Lucario however, can gimp fairly well and Mindgames are the way to go if you want to pile on percent.
What is the best way to handle Lucario's jabs? Do I finish the jab combo? Jab twice then grab? Jan twice then force palm? Something completely different I'm unaware of?
The a-a-a combo isnt really useful. use jab to force palm, jab to tilt, or jab to grab.
Sorry if these questions seem kind of stupid, I just picked Lucario up and need all the help I can get. Thanks :)
no they're not.
Edit: Woops accidentally posted on my brother's account. My smash tag is Quik
replies in red.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
With the jabs you just have to mix it up, doing the same thing every time = avoided or get hit.
It can also vary between characters [Marth or Snake?]

You also can't make every character approach keep this in mind. Unless you are rushing all out, there are a few creative ideas to approach, but please for the love of God don't approach with dash. Also stop double f-airing into the ground, it contains landing lag... something you REALLY don't want if you hit a shield [Fox U-smash, Marth DS, Lucario FP, SNAKE GRAB, etc Got it?.]

Kill moves? Bair, Dair, Uair, U-tilt[I guess], Nair possibly, Fsmash , Dsmash, A good Usmash, Forcepalm also *shrug*, Aura Sphere, and Aura storm.

iRJi

Smash Champion
replies in red.
Commenting on the A-A-A combo:

It is useful, I want everyone to know now that A>Anything really isn't a true combo on a lot of character (or the characters that actually matter) Finishing your jab combo is actually an amazing idea to do. From that, then you can switch up the normal AAA with a Jab> Grab, Etc. since they will think that you might do something else. Also, try jab canceling, works better for mind games since your jab will connect on most cases until your opponent Di's away.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
With the jabs you just have to mix it up, doing the same thing every time = avoided or get hit.
It can also vary between characters [Marth or Snake?]

You also can't make every character approach keep this in mind. Unless you are rushing all out, there are a few creative ideas to approach, but please for the love of God don't approach with dash. Also stop double f-airing into the ground, it contains landing lag... something you REALLY don't want if you hit a shield [Fox U-smash, Marth DS, Lucario FP, SNAKE GRAB, etc Got it?.]

Kill moves? Bair, Dair, Uair, U-tilt[I guess], Nair possibly, Fsmash , Dsmash, A good Usmash, Forcepalm also *shrug*, Aura Sphere, and Aura storm.
fthrow (you have to really surprise them with doing throw right as soon as you grab though, it's very DI-able), bthrow (late killer, prolly if the opponent is in the 140ish%), and double team (although I'd really not recommend the lasts option mentioned for obvious reasons) are also killers in some shape/form that are usable.
AAA is not too bad, it actually gets up to Ike in damage at max aura cap (14% or so). It's a weaker option considering if you are good with your jab options and when to use jab in the first place, your opponent won't DI as well (as opposed to if you've been using AA->FP ALL THE TIME like I see some people do), but it's much, much safer as opposed to the others, plus it does some refreshing/damage which is always nice.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
AAA is almost always guaranteed, even if they know you're going to AAA, which is not the case for anything else, other than sometimes grab. Everything else has to be mixed up and mindgamed, although I would refrain from using anything other than forcepalm, grab, or ftilt/dtilt out of the jab unless they're spotdodge happy, at which point fsmash or dsmash work too.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Also stop double f-airing into the ground, it contains landing lag... something you REALLY don't want if you hit a shield [Fox U-smash, Marth DS, Lucario FP, SNAKE GRAB, etc Got it?.]
fair has more range than nair, if ur confident it will hit (but nair can't), then the landing lag doesn't really matter.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think the later you let fair come out before you hit the ground (while it's still active), you can do stuff. It explains at least why I can still connect with jab sometimes after I land with it, when otherwise it's way too laggy.
I would suggest in a normal circumstance not to land with fair very often. At low percents, fair will get punished with it's small knockback.
@ Kita: Don't forget jab cancels, those are okay as well (although still very risky).

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I have a little trouble on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) with recovering. Is there a surface where you can safetly wall cling? I don't usually like clinging there because sometimes Luc just doesn't stick on the wall and the opponent gets a free stock. That pisses me off ;_;

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The upper half of the wall is safe, but like all wallclings, you have to hold a little on there otherwise it'll register as a wall "release" and thus no more chance of getting back :p

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Too good!
In all seriousness, he's been less active recently, although he did win C3 after about a 5 month hiatus from the game.
Way back when though, for the current metagame's progression, he played very smart, and most importantly, very patient.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Would Lucario's Down+B be a good move to use for momentum canceling? Like for example...

Fastfall F-air, Down + B, double jump, then up+b.

I'm going to look into that. Anything that makes Lucario survive longer is useful.

Gah777

Smash Lord
I ask this question because my bro is a tenacious Lucario player who likes to grab/throw a lot. Is it possible to tech out of Lucario's back/down throw?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If you mean tech as in escape, not really. Teching is only used when you are in a tumbling or in hitstun and you're about to hit the ground, and you produce a roll/quick getup animation to get back on your feet quickly.
If you mean how to avoid grabbing, space better, and use walling aerials, and make less punishable mistakes so that he can't rush in and grab. This is slightly easier against a character like lucario with a horrible grab range.
Or if you mean how to DI it, I would DI up for bthrow, DI away for dthrow, so that it minimizes followups a bit more.

Gah777

Smash Lord
Well what I meant was as you're being slammed into the ground would you be able to tech then? But as you said it's not really possible. Thanks though. I just need to come up with better stategies an practice my spacing more.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ya, you can only tech if the animation isn't part of the attack/throw itself and you're in tumbling/ hitstun. teching things like G&W dthrow works because you're teching the direction out when the animation ends.
Good to have cleared that up for you. btw, who do you play as? I'd assume sonic, as I see you have shadow in ur avy and sig, but the fact that I saw your post in the marth boards has me thinking otherwise :D

Gah777

Smash Lord
Wolf and Marth are my two mains, but I also play Ike and Pit on the side. I just like Shadow cuz he's B.A.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
o noez question from geebeez!!

i had a thought just now so i figured id ask for some opinions...

how useful would reversing AS(fully charged) be to cancel momentum from being launched? i mean using AS does move you and there is significant movement when it is reversed in the air, especially when your moving in a direction

iRJi

Smash Champion
o noez question from geebeez!!

i had a thought just now so i figured id ask for some opinions...

how useful would reversing AS(fully charged) be to cancel momentum from being launched? i mean using AS does move you and there is significant movement when it is reversed in the air, especially when your moving in a direction
Not that useful. Just keeping it short.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
tbh, nobody has tested that whole "B reverse 'bucket brake'" momentum cancel. I might muddle through it, but I would need to see the original page and how to do it.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
i was trying out stuff today in training mode, and(with the help of my brother trying to jump/DI out of it) i found that we can chain Uthrow->utilt->uthrow->utilt to 30% on fox and 35% on wolf. it appeared to be inescapable when DIing in any direction into or away from me.

is this already known?

if it is not, i will test it on every character(although from the ones i already have, it seems to only work on fast fallers) and youtube it

iRJi

Smash Champion
i was trying out stuff today in training mode, and(with the help of my brother trying to jump/DI out of it) i found that we can chain Uthrow->utilt->uthrow->utilt to 30% on fox and 35% on wolf. it appeared to be inescapable when DIing in any direction into or away from me.

is this already known?

if it is not, i will test it on every character(although from the ones i already have, it seems to only work on fast fallers) and youtube it
Its known, and its only Uthrow 3x to another throw after that. Any other move will result you in getting shined by the fox.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Question (because I'm too lazy to test and not a Lucario main)

When you SDI out of a multi-hit move, or rather when you're in tumble animation, how is it that you move upwards while d-air? Do you simply jump out of tumble and immediately d-air?

I feel like I'm answering my own question actually, lol. But yeah, confirmation would be nice. Teaching a friend how to d-air Sheik's AAA combo/f-tilt lock because I know Lucario can. Not to mention use the extra momentum for d-air against a plethora of other match-ups.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Force Palm wavebouncing and stuff has got me really thinking and I've been testing it out a little... I've also noticed for something to outprioritize/cling with the "Aura Flame" coming out of FP it has to hit kind of the middle of the flame. Meaning I think you can hit someone with the tip and even if they attack the tip they would get hit with it? (Imagine the possibilities of it being a good move for spacing via wavebouncing against air happy characters with them even taking a bit of damage; FP's flame does have a greater horizontal reach than Marth's Fair...)

Perhaps someone knows about this? I didn't find anything on the Search and if it is old news I don't wanna go shooting my mouth off.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
No-IDea - The reason dair move upwards is because you're still in a momentum shift after getting hit. Like say you powershield an attack, you can immediately do a jumping dair and you will rise with it, cause the game is still registering the previous hit.

To answer your second question, yes you do. If you want proof, look up Jeepy Sol's dair trick, or my vid against Moe's Pikachu when he fthrows me and I immediately jump up and do a rising dair.

Myth - Not sure what clings with the aura flame, but I'll be happy to test it out for you and give you some results. But the only thing I know about the tip of the flame, is that it causes them to trip.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Its known, and its only Uthrow 3x to another throw after that. Any other move will result you in getting shined by the fox.
If you shield the shine and grab OoS you can continue Uthrow chains.

But at that point Fox can escape by jumping out if he knows your going to shield. It's a tech chase from 12%- 25%

Wolf is a tech chase from 0%-25%.

Falcon and Ganondorf are tech chases at 12%-I forgot probably 25%, maybe a bit further.

Mace.

Smash Rookie
Hey, sorry if this has been asked, but it's late and I don't wanna ready 50 pages of text right now. Who complements Lucario particularly well in doubles? And while we're on doubles, is Ness or Lucas a better partner?

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about someone making a FPCG thread that shows facts like how long it lasts on each character, etc.?

I'm thinking of using Lucario...

Which video do you think best sums up everything that is Lucario and would make me want to stick with him?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you want videos of good Lucario players, check out Azen and Lee Martin. Be warned that some of them are outdated.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
He has new videos, but be prepared for epilepsy galore.
I think some other lucarios that are decent to watch are D. Disciple, Trela (if you like flashy shenanigans), Zucco, Ksizzle, and Lee. There's probably a few others that I'm forgetting that are newer too, but those are some good ones to start off on.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
He has new videos, but be prepared for epilepsy galore.
I think some other lucarios that are decent to watch are D. Disciple, Trela (if you like flashy shenanigans), Zucco, Ksizzle, and Lee. There's probably a few others that I'm forgetting that are newer too, but those are some good ones to start off on.
yeah. I reached for the aspirin once i saw junebug's cameraman lol.

edit- How come the part your talking about other lucario's isnt showing up?

double edit- It was the stupid internet lag lol.

Top Bottom