• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I have no clue what you're talking about on the last sentence.
Also some other ones that are good are some of RJ's newer ones (against Pierce particularly), Stauffy, and Junebug.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I have no clue what you're talking about on the last sentence.
Also some other ones that are good are some of RJ's newer ones (against Pierce particularly), Stauffy, and Junebug.
Internet lag made me see you modifying your post and show up on my quote before you it showed up on the actual post

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
How good are lucarios match ups against metta knight? Are the match up bad like the rest or most the cast.I need to pick up a counter pick against metta knight because my snake can't beat most of the mettas here in my area (TEXAS) any advice?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Many of us don't think its that bad. I believe its evenish (some think its 50:50 even).

Before the "lol wut" response, just think... How many good Lucario users are there?

10% Aura Spheres beat 'Nado, DAir lols at Shuttle Loop, Lucario's a midweight, so he's not dying early on unless you gimp us (which isn't too easy).

Our worst match-ups are: King Dedede, Marth, Snake, Olimar, and Wario, but due to metagame development and stuff some of us feel Lucario should be doing better against these characters. King Dedede and Marth are definite soft counters as of right now though.

Lucario is one of four characters that does not have a match-up worse than 40:60. The other three are Meta Knight, Snake, and Wario, which are the top three of the current tier list, so... in short USE LUCARIO PLOX!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lucario vs MK is evenish (still in MK's favor) if you can survive long enough. MK excels at gimp kills, but his raw kill power is mediocre. If you can get the first kill in the matchup, you'll do fine.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
well i guess ill try him out because even axxos metta knight beats my snake:( Rockettrainer you know who i'm talking about.... thanks guys ill try it out.

Anyone mind explaining to me about how Lucario has a good air game? It seems to me that Lucario wouldn't have a good air game with a slow falling speed, moderate jump height and 1/3 to 1 second aerials attacks.

The only plus sides I see to his air game is that it can have variable knockback and range. Except with most situations I do not see these being very helpful. The only times his aerial attacks would linkable are when both players are at low percents. The only time they are useful for knockback and range is when both lucaro and the opponenet are at high percents. Any other time I cannot see the air game being that useful.

I cannot see his air game being in any way a reasonable approach. Maybe for defence, but it would have to be retreating. Bair takes too long to come out, Fair ends a bit quickly and will have him sitting around in the air for a long amoutn of time due to his jump height and slow falling speed. Dair and Uair only have limited range. Nair lasts forever and I think is probably the safest overall aerial he has, but it's range is pretty low compared to other aerials that could be used against him.

Lucario just seems like a ground unit. Or is there something to his aerial game that I am just not seeing?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
His air game is not his strongest point, but there are a few things.
Normally having flow fall speed sux in this game, because that means everyone and their dog can juggle more. Dair negates that, the only real problem with this is his stupidly high SH which causes problems for approaching.
Lingering disjointed hitboxes, plus low cooldown. Not a fast air game, but usually only gets truly beasted by people he should be playing a grounded game anyways.
It's not super low percents, all the basic strings like Fair -> nair and fair -> dair work until about the 70% range, where lucario should start mellowing out and walling/punishing with his decent ground game.
He doesn't have a good approach, you are correct. It's overall kind of predictable in the air, the only real benefits is that the low cooldown allows for some decent options and can go into nair/dair, which are good for different purposes
Overall, lucario's air game looks offensive at glance, but I'd agree that it's far better for defense.
He's certainly more of a balanced character, not having the decisively best of air, ground, or projectile, but certainly far from worst. Having those wacky attributes compensate for his lack of more traditional "startup speed" strengths, which seem more negligent when near higher percents when his attacks become more safer on block (they get more shieldstun).
imo his aerials are decent, but probably not A-tier, but the unique traits they inherit are pretty interesting in themselves.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
lolwut? Dair isnt A-tier??? why not?

If the air isnt lucario's strongest point, then what is? I never play Lucario without repeatedly keeping to the air. ( with certain exceptions of course.)

edit- @ Crystal -While you are a bit right concerning his aerials, Bair's speed is made up for with a good amount of active frames and a beast hitbox, Dair is limited in range, but stalls, is powerful, can be linked from fair, and is safe if spaced well. Uair's range isnt particularly limited, lucario's entire body becomes a hitbox. Nair lasts forever, and is safe, and does have suckish range, but autocancels, is safe on block if you know what your doing and is useful for strings.

in mid percents, his aerials can be combined quite well with his ground game to make up for being average in both. Pretty useful for an offensive.

hope that helped :D

Yeah, I have a better understanding of Lucario's air game. It's good because of the utilities and versatility you get out of it, but it's not the best due to certain faults with it. This will help me alter how I have been playing.

lolwut? Dair isnt A-tier??? why not?

If the air isnt lucario's strongest point, then what is? I never play Lucario without repeatedly keeping to the air. ( with certain exceptions of course.)
*pokes what phil said* He said Lucario was above-average in everything. That itself can be a strong point. I still think his major strong point is aura.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucario's air game is certainly not horrible, I think he's definitely a mix between the two, although I gotta admit, lucario ftilt is getting more amazing the more I've looked at it and practiced with it.
Dair is pretty nice though, I have yet to see a good lucario being juggled much. Floatiness also compensates for an average horizontal aerial movement, since it gives him more air time.
Now on the subject of Extreme Speed...
Nothing to write home about.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Yeah, I have a better understanding of Lucario's air game. It's good because of the utilities and versatility you get out of it, but it's not the best due to certain faults with it. This will help me alter how I have been playing.

*pokes what phil said* He said Lucario was above-average in everything. That itself can be a strong point. I still think his major strong point is aura.
Aura will always be his redeeming factor.

i meant his strong points in temr of his actual skill in fighting and not his powers.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
To those who said MK is relatively even, just to let you know imo it's certainly not, but my opinion on some of the MU's are a bit skewed.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
To those who said MK is relatively even, just to let you know imo it's certainly not, but my opinion on some of the MU's are a bit skewed.
Personally, I don't think the MU with MK is even either, but certainly NOT ****. 60/40 is fine with me.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lucario is one of four characters that does not have a match-up worse than 40:60. The other three are Meta Knight, Snake, and Wario, which are the top three of the current tier list, so... in short USE LUCARIO PLOX!
...You do realize that our matchup list is pretty much going by our (mostly biased and often uneducated or rushed) opinions alone? <<
Matchups are getting closer and farther apart by the day. DDD is learning to deal with their counters by abusing their stellar air game and weight. Marth has pretty much evened out the MK matchup to a degree. (In which I believe they perform better than us honestly.) Icies are learning how to better destroy their opposition and new methods of stage control. I sure can't name a definite Diddy counter. Can you? Even if we don't have any hard counters (which I honestly am not too sure about in the current metagame), a statement like that really just can't be used. It's just... false. Bleh, and honestly, I think DDD and Snake counter us pretty hard, and most likely Meta Knight, as well.
Anyone mind explaining to me about how Lucario has a good air game? It seems to me that Lucario wouldn't have a good air game with a slow falling speed, moderate jump height and 1/3 to 1 second aerials attacks.

The only plus sides I see to his air game is that it can have variable knockback and range. Except with most situations I do not see these being very helpful. The only times his aerial attacks would linkable are when both players are at low percents. The only time they are useful for knockback and range is when both lucaro and the opponenet are at high percents. Any other time I cannot see the air game being that useful.

I cannot see his air game being in any way a reasonable approach. Maybe for defence, but it would have to be retreating. Bair takes too long to come out, Fair ends a bit quickly and will have him sitting around in the air for a long amoutn of time due to his jump height and slow falling speed. Dair and Uair only have limited range. Nair lasts forever and I think is probably the safest overall aerial he has, but it's range is pretty low compared to other aerials that could be used against him.

Lucario just seems like a ground unit. Or is there something to his aerial game that I am just not seeing?
You're really just not seeing Lucario. Each aerial has a specific purpose, and each aerial performs that purpose very well for the most part.

For approaching and "comboing," Fair is the aerial of choice. It's pretty much a miniature Marth Fair. It works really well with Lucario's high short hop, as he can fair a shield and retreat, as Fair when retreated is actually safe on block. Fair takes 5 frames to come out, which is very good when combined with its good coverage below him, in front of him, and at diagonals, plus the fact that it starts below him, so that you can hit grounded characters even easier! Fair also links into both Dair and Nair until a pretty high %, even when you're at the cap, and actually chains into itself or into a footstool until moderate % offstage. This gives Lucario his "combo" game. Fair chains into a FFnair at low %, which chains into a grounded move, usually a jab mixup to a grab, or possibly a forcepalm, which chains again into a fair nair, giving lucario about 30-40% from a relatively simple and often hard to escape low% string. At more moderate %s, Fair nearly always true combos into a Dair on foes, although in the higher %, Fair only combos into Dair on grounded or foes that were low to start with. Nair seems to work better on aerial foes with more %. Eventually you can even use Uair out of Fair, which is quite funny to land. In short, Fair is the combo tool. It's the jack-of-all-trades when it comes to combo setups, and is our approaching aerial for the most part. Oh, did I mention that Lucario's Fair is the second fastest aerial to end in the game, at 27 frames? It's only bested by Luigi's Fair. This matters a tiny bit in momentum canceling.

Nair is a bit of an oddball, generally being used in odd ways due to its odd qualities. However, it's primarly used after a Fair. It's not exactly as fast as many nairs in the game, but it's still a sex kick. It has very little landing lag, good range, and the strong hit sends people at a very very nice angle, while the weak hit keeps people close to you for "combos." In general, it's used after a Fair most of the time. However, it also works well to pressure platforms above you, as a slightly flawed, but still for some reason useful way to punish shieldgrabbers who try to shieldgrab dair, to kill horizontally (does this quite well when fresh), and works okay for punishing aerials oos that you can't shieldgrab, or people who land behind you due to its odd hitbox behind him on startup. In short, it's generally used after fair, but it kills pretty well if Bair is stale, and you can't get into a position to uair.

Uair juggles. Uair kills. Uair is fast. Uair has very nice range. Uair is just a regular juggling/vertical killing aerial. At high %, it kills very early. Nothing much needs to be said other than that it's meant to hit and/or kill people above you, and it does its job well. Also, if you use it to bait an airdodge, it ends pretty quickly, almost always giving you a free dair as they pass by.

Bair is the knockback aerial, for the most part. You use this to edgeguard, to kill, to space people who beat out your fair, and to return to the stage against people with long aerials like King Dedede. Bair lasts forever, and is strong for pretty much the entire time, meaning that it doesn't take much precision to trade hits or beat out a slightly longer, more precise aerial, like that which belongs to King Dedede. It spaces well against people who beat your fair onstage, too. For example, it really helps in the matchup against Peach, as it usually beats her Fair, even though range-wise her fair should beat us, simply because it's so easy to use. Bair also works very, very well for edgeguarding, killing quite early. Also, for some odd reason, it has very low landing lag, but it's only a tiny bit too much to keep it from being our main approach. :<

Dair is the punisher, the juggle-counter, the vertical-spacer, the combo-ender, the killer, the edgeguarder, the combo-breaker, the recovery stall, the above-platform pressure, and for many people due to being c-stick down and 1 frame slower than fair, it's the momentum canceler. It also has a hitbox on frame 4. Dair is by far our most versatile aerial, being used extremely often over the course of the match, sometimes by itself, sometimes with Fair. It would take a very long time to go into detail about everything that Dair accomplishes for us, so I'll try to keep it short. Dair punishes extremely well both out of shield (with or without rising dair) and as a combo-breaker, as well as having a high damage output. Using it with fair at 0% is about 20% off of a single safe-on-block aerial. At the cap, it does 22% all by itself. Its immense range combined with its insane speed, stalling qualities and sheer linger makes it extremely easy to use as a juggle-breaker, often beating out aerials with better range due to just plain being easier to use, or even outranging it horizontally. Did I mention it has great range horizontally? It kills very well, even though it's the second weakest of our aerials due to its sheer ease of use and great angle that it sends people, as well as the fact that it's often used to gimp recoveries. It absolutely tears apart many generally hard, awkward, or risky-to-gimp recoveries, such as Diddy Kong, DK, or virtually any sweetspot-requiring recovery-special. Doing it instantly from above a platform covers nearly the entirety of the area below it. Using it to stall your recovery can give you time to waste their invincibility frames while edgehogging and strike them with an aerial...
I think other than that it's the easiest aerial to momentum cancel with, that's just about it. Dair is amazing and versatile. It may have "limited range," but it also does 22% at the cap in 4 frames, can be combo'd out of, and its ease of use and "limited range" is nothing to shake a stick at, either.

Lastly, slow-falling is a blessing as well as a curse. Can you imagine if we were a fastfaller? We'd actually have to RELY on ExtremeSpeed as our recovery! *shudder*
Try tapping the c-stick forwards sometime.
Personally, I don't think the MU with MK is even either, but certainly NOT ****. 60/40 is fine with me.
Meh, I can't see it. Stat-wise and option-wise, MK just plain wrecks us, from where I stand.

D. Disciple

Smash Master

His air game is one that you really, really have to focus on in a certain way. An extremely good way of utilizing it is to react, or counter-react. Say someone approached you with an unsafe move, and you perfect shield it. You can grab them, utilt them, or immediately hit them with an aerial. Nair out of shield is nice, non-momentum dair if they are inside of you, even fair into nair or whatever you prefer well benefit you. Also you have to learn how to dance around with Lucario, if you come out attacking the moment you jump then you're going to get read immediately, it's not just using your aerial, it's how and when you use them. I love my air game with Lucario a lot, I practice on it a lot. Learning how to cross up, mixing up my fair strings, knowing when to stop fairing, and go into a dair, ffnair, retreating fair/nair, aura sphere, uair or ffad.

Also I feel like once you get down his aerial game, Lucario starts to become a lot faster and a bit more dangerous then people think.

iRJi

Smash Champion
...You do realize that our matchup list is pretty much going by our (mostly biased and often uneducated or rushed) opinions alone? <<
Matchups are getting closer and farther apart by the day. DDD is learning to deal with their counters by abusing their stellar air game and weight. Marth has pretty much evened out the MK matchup to a degree. (In which I believe they perform better than us honestly.) Icies are learning how to better destroy their opposition and new methods of stage control. I sure can't name a definite Diddy counter. Can you? Even if we don't have any hard counters (which I honestly am not too sure about in the current metagame), a statement like that really just can't be used. It's just... false. Bleh, and honestly, I think DDD and Snake counter us pretty hard, and most likely Meta Knight, as well.
Actually, their matchups are really not as depended on opinion then you think. You are right about the MK Mu being near Neutral however, because it is a bit greater then what people are making out to be. 6:4 if you wanna talk numbers.

As much as the game is advancing with character metagames, so are ways to counter them. Despite D3's ability to stay alive longer then others and taking advantage of it is one thing, but they are still limited in options to fight. Ices are still being developed, as scary as that is, so judging what they can do as of right now is a bit much to say. Diddy's whole game is revolved around spee, traps, and the opposing characters ability to control nanna's. While come characters have a bad throw animation or a horrid way to pick up items, there are come characters who can handle nanna's just fine. (IE: Marth). I think people's main issue here is that they try to play with the nanna, instead of tossing them off the field completely. Diddy's speed is good, his range is little below average however, and there are characters who have a better inside game then him completely. Nanna toss is like a 20 frame move too, which makes it risky to pull off unless they are open. Just toss of nanna's, and then stay close but play cautious to not move outside of a range where he has time to pluck one. Diddy's has counters, just that they over utilize his nanna's game and don't take the options necessary to make it in that characters favor. Btw, Marth and Luigi, they are both good counters for Diddy.

Snakes control for the stage is really amazing, but what people fail to remember that he has one awful weakness that a lot of character can take advantage of. Tossing snake in the air makes even the worse MU's become easier. Personally, I find MU's against snake to be dependent on how easy it is to get snake into the air, and how easy it is to keep him up there. Characters like MK, Marth, D3, and Wario, all are prime examples of this. Lucario has good juggle traps, as well (which is why I don't think its greatly in snakes favor, and is more near even)

Again to comment on The MK MU, I think its a 60:40 to talk numbers. To talk logical explanations is a whole thing completely different, but to keep it short his options are greater then ours overall, and MK has good tool to make our options less effective.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
so i was playing a marth today with lucario, and as he was using his up b to recover i fsmashed the ledge, the fsmash managed to stage spike him or do send him back at a downward angle or something funky like that. this wasn't that he was hanging on the ledge too long, this was literally frames before he sweetspotted the ledge. don't have a video i'm afraid, it was past 3 minutes at that point. have other people done this/can this be done consistently? this would be a great to be able to pull off relatively consistently.

Browny

Smash Hater
was it final destination / right side of battlefield?

if so im not surprised, those edges do lots of weird things :/ would be cool to see if it actually works though lol

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
i do believe it was the right side of smashville... haha, but does the right side of battlefield to weird things, while the left side doesn't? i've never heard of such things

Browny

Smash Hater
Zelda can dthrow people on the right edge to stagespike them, and sonic can do it to DDD.

theres also a strange thing going on where fox can not rolldodge - instant edgehog on the right side i think...

hough123

Smash Ace
What is this new tech that I've heard about? Aurasmash told me that it was important, but I still don't know anything about it speficically =\

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Its simple. a guy playing on smashville was going to get edgehogged. instead of curving, he still went for teh ledge. instead of striking the ledge and falling to his doom, He leaps toward the stage with tremendous range, with no landing lag. Phil has some details, but its a mystery to us. as for its name, either shuttle or extreme zip. With so little information, its hard to try to find how its done though. But think of an unedgehoggable Lucario!

iRJi

Smash Champion
Its simple. a guy playing on smashville was going to get edgehogged. instead of curving, he still went for teh ledge. instead of striking the ledge and falling to his doom, He leaps toward the stage with tremendous range, with no landing lag. Phil has some details, but its a mystery to us. as for its name, either shuttle or extreme zip. With so little information, its hard to try to find how its done though. But think of an unedgehoggable Lucario!
I am working on it. I told pierce to look through his replays because I have done this quite a few times already. When I get it, I will upload it, share it, and hell... Might even name it =D

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Depends on how you do it.
If you curve/tilt it around right, you'll glide over the stage contour and end with minimal lag, or you could space it so that you just barely land right on the stage.
Then there's that glitch that we haven't figured out yet that zips you across.
And lastly, there's the FD ledge cancel, which only works if you have a free ledge lip.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
iirc, G&W can also spike people off the edge via dthrow, but it's very specific.
It only happens if you DI it off the stage :/

DI inside and you're fine

Oh yeah guys since I'm pretty ****ing shy around boards not called Lucario I feel I should ask this simple Question here instead.

How the **** do I improve by myself.

I finally got back into curving and DI [Deku Nuts ftw]. but now idk what to do and wifi is starting to.. not help and make me feel wtf frustrated when I lose.

My reaction speed is also **** :(

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I personally have stayed away from wifi, it's up to preference, but if you've got the basics down like fair -> nair, I think you could use a different source of practice unless wifi is your only source.
For reaction speed, I actually try playing against CPUs and doing "tech chase" scenarios, basically places where the opponent if forced to pick from a limited pool of options. CPUs don't really think what's suitable, they just do something, which means you have to rely on little hints of their movement where they go instead of using logic or looking at their controller lol.
Also, for reaction speed, I do a lot of things with that, ranging from clutch situations (like stage teching), to practicing in slower speed. I think that even taking a break from the character would help a bit, I had to do friendlies a lot with my other chars and often I'd get ideas or at least different approaches to the same problems, and thus help my game when I switched back to Lucario. That or just plain practicing.

One thing I like to do to get my PS rate up is to play Luigi and try to PS and punish as much as possible, the slide obviously acts as a challenge so that when you don't PS, you slide too far to hit.

@ Reaper: Really depends on situation, but I wouldn't get used to developing a habit of dair spam, it makes it bad for when you want to use it outside of stalling and getting predictable when you can afford better options is always a terrible idea. You'll want to practice getting it out of a fair string the first time, the second you might not get a chance if they know how to get out.

hough123

Smash Ace
I've decided to secondary either Meta Knight, or Wario. In my grading system, MK got a 15/15, and Wario got a 14/15. I think that MK would be better, but Wario may be funner. It's my choice, but I'd like a second opinion.

Phil, I'm making a pwnsome sig that either you will you, or I will use. It's the legend of zelda begining, only the old man is replaced with Lucario, and he's giving Link science. The fire is also blue. Oh yeah, and it's animated with over 32 frames of Lucarioy goodness =3

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Few questions because Imma noob-
Can FP chaingrab, and if so is there an explanation in words since my computer fails epically at loading vids?
Also, any advice for utiltin' when you need to do it fast without turning tap-jump off? Short hopping gives me trouble in general as well, even if I just quickly tap x or y... o.o;

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
FP isn't a true CG; it can be broken out of through serious but reasonable mashing. This usually means you can do 2-3 in a row though.
As for utilt, I personally have tap jump on, but don't have problems. If you've played Melee before, you probably have developed this too, but basically you just slowly buffer the movement upwards, but don't tap the analog stick to the edge of the boundaries. Literally, you are "tilting" the control stick, which is why it's called a tilt.

Milln

Smash Champion
Frame Advantage means that by the time your attack animation is done and you are back to a neutral state, the enemy is still in some form of state where they cannot resume to neutral. For example in a notation of +4, you have 4 frames to act/throw out a move before your enemy resumes neutral.

If you are -6, then you have to wait 6 frames to go back to neutral, while your opponent is already there. Hence, the term "unsafe" In most games even frame disadvantages are deemed "safe" depending on how fast attacks can be utilized, although you don't have enough time to counter or run away, you can still block(one frame in most games) allowing you to use that move without taking a guaranteed clean hit.

Got it? =3

iRJi

Smash Champion
Frame Advantage means that by the time your attack animation is done and you are back to a neutral state, the enemy is still in some form of state where they cannot resume to neutral. For example in a notation of +4, you have 4 frames to act/throw out a move before your enemy resumes neutral.

If you are -6, then you have to wait 6 frames to go back to neutral, while your opponent is already there. Hence, the term "unsafe" In most games even frame disadvantages are deemed "safe" depending on how fast attacks can be utilized, although you don't have enough time to counter or run away, you can still block(one frame in most games) allowing you to use that move without taking a guaranteed clean hit.

Got it? =3
Wisdom words from a vet =D

Top Bottom