• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
I can't edgehog too well is that a bad thing? I get the concept of it and heard that a lot of people do it, so i thought it's something i need to do to be good. I don't do it so much because i don't like risks as in falling and such.

Also, what's another killing tactic? I use aura sphere camping to kill and high perecentage to kill. So in other words whats another way to kill besides edgehogging?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I can't edgehog too well is that a bad thing? I get the concept of it and heard that a lot of people do it, so i thought it's something i need to do to be good. I don't do it so much because i don't like risks as in falling and such.

Also, what's another killing tactic? I use aura sphere camping to kill and high perecentage to kill. So in other words whats another way to kill besides edgehogging?
I would definitely learn how to stagehug properly, its a great tool that will definetely help you later, if its too hard though you do have alternatives, Roll to the side and tap diagonally down and you'll hog the edge.

The other alternative is much riskier, The Extremehog, use Extremespeed onstage towards the edge and hold down, the result is that you ES to the edge and hog it... but if you miss...
You Die.

Get used to living long with DI, its essential for keeping that kill power as Luc and dying 1st can be kinda gay <<.

Common Ways for Lucario to Kill are mostly Forward Smash, Aurasphere, Bair, Dair and Upair.

Dsmash, Upsmash and Nair are capable killers as well but the former 2 are hard to hit and 3rd is often stale.

ForcePalm and Fthrow can kill as well sometimes.

All tilts are capable of killing fresh at high %s but you'll usually want to save them anyways :/

Milln

Smash Champion
I would definitely learn how to stagehug properly, its a great tool that will definetely help you later, if its too hard though you do have alternatives, Roll to the side and tap diagonally down and you'll hog the edge.

The other alternative is much riskier, The Extremehog, use Extremespeed onstage towards the edge and hold down, the result is that you ES to the edge and hog it... but if you miss...
You Die.

Get used to living long with DI, its essential for keeping that kill power as Luc and dying 1st can be kinda gay <<.

Common Ways for Lucario to Kill are mostly Forward Smash, Aurasphere, Bair, Dair and Upair.

Dsmash, Upsmash and Nair are capable killers as well but the former 2 are hard to hit and 3rd is often stale.

ForcePalm and Fthrow can kill as well sometimes.
Extremehog only kills you if the enemy gets to ledge first. Mastering ExtremeHog is the prerequisite to using it in a vital match.

Fthrow doesn't kill sometimes, it does it often because of how sudden it is. Does it more often than any of your aerials 'cept Dair will.

Sephirothdotcom

Smash Cadet
Ive been having alot of trouble landing against a snake once he hits me into the air. Dair into him doesn't work/gets shieldgrabed/ nudges him further away. But even if the Dair nudges him, im in range of getting smacked with a f-tilt, and am back in the air. Ive tried clearly just avoiding him, but he reaches anywhere i land with a DACUS, so im popped back into the air, again. i've found spacing the Nair to its max distance is the best solution, but is there any safer way or better way to land against snake? I've also tried being a ledge *****/planking but thats the last thing u want to do since snake has so many edgeguarding tools.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
You know you don't have to attack on the way down. You can b-reverse aura spheres or airdodge then fastfall to the ground. Lucario, having the safest dodge roll in the game can usually return to a safe position from there.

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
Lucario: As a character, I feel that he doesn't seem like a Steel Fighting type, which should be incredibly hardcore.
He's really floaty and slow, when I think of Lucario I'd think of him as more of a powerful, speedy, aggressive type.

I'd love Lucario to stay in the Super Smash Bros games, as he seems a perfect fit. I just hope that he gets re-done style-wise.
Like, when I heard him announced I was dreaming to myself the incredible awesomeness of running super fast Extreme-Speed style straight at my opponent and punching him square in the face, sending him flying with a resounding controller-rumble, Fighting Steel style.
Instead, I got, essentially, a Mewtwo clone...with "Aura" instead of "Shadow Powers"...
Sure the two were different, but that's basically what it was.
I for one was disappointed, but what about the Lucario and Smash Bros community?

Would you want a remake of this character? I know some of those who main as Lucario not want the character they practice with and play as completely changed, as that would be a challenge to re-learn.
Does anyone agree with me? Disagree?
I'd love to know. :D

BadAxel97

Smash Apprentice
Well I personally do not want to alter Lucario, I just wished to discuss the feasibility of him continuing as a character in the series as well as if the community would accept or desire a re-make of the character.

...But if someone wanted to make Lucario a powerful speedy character, I wouldn't argue ^.^

Sephirothdotcom

Smash Cadet
You know you don't have to attack on the way down. You can b-reverse aura spheres or airdodge then fastfall to the ground. Lucario, having the safest dodge roll in the game can usually return to a safe position from there.
i guess fastfalling in general to get me to the ground faster is a better option, but if i move noticeably far from snake, i just eat a DACUS b4 i land or after, since airdodge invincibility frames end when u touch the ground, but i guess its better then eating a ftilt or grab

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
What are Luc's best stages? Worst? Any you recommend counterpicking against S Tiers/bad matchups?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Best neutral is believed to be Yoshi's Island, but some regions might not have this as neutral.

Counterpicks, Frigate is often used, but it really is character dependent. Your own personal preference may influence your choice. Big stages are good because they let Lucario live longer and use Aura to maximum potential.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Does kirby get an aura boost or does it stay at 7)% where the mutlipler is at 100%

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Kirby boards said:
Lucario
Ability: Aura Sphere
Damage: 7% to 18%
Description:
The sphere will do damage as it charges behind Kirby, about 1% per hit. Kirby does not get an 'Aura' bonus.
I read somewhere it's about equivalent to Lucario being at 80% or so. Don't know if that's right, but no, it's fixed. Kirby imperfectly copies his opponent's abilities if you want to think of it that way.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's 100%, for the record.
And yes, YI and FD are easily Lucario's best neutrals, Frigate and Japes are some of his best CPs, but the CPs are really MU dependent.
I find that a lot of it is up to the player though, as I personally do pretty well on BF for Lucario being lucario. low platforms can do some pretty serious stuff if you know how to play off them right :D. Like what's been previously mentioned though, those stages listed you can't really go wrong in terms of lucario's characteristics.

hough123

Smash Ace
I have not played in a long time, and I'm just getting back into Brawl. I can now find, predict, and punish my friend's patterns, but I cannot kill him. Can someone post a refresher of Lucario's best killers?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Depends on weight, but fsmash, bair, AS, uair, and if fresh, dair are some of his best.
Some other decent ones are nair (on lighties), FP/fthrow at high percents, and dsmash.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Also Dtilt has been know to kell at 160%+. I like it because it has little use after 50% so it stays fresh and your opponet never suspects it.

If you think about most of lucario attacks have some sort of killing poetential before 200%

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dtilt on the edge is okay if your opponent hangs on the edge too much and isn't MK.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
With Mk I wouldn't risk not using a smash attack. You have to play defensive.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Fthrow is a great killer if ur opponent doesn't di. This will probably only happen if u jab cancel to fthrow very quickly

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
grab is frame 6
fthrow is frame 4
if you do it fast enough, it still follows the "10 frame" rule of possible human reaction (which apparently doesn't apply to M2K for obvious reasons <_<; ), and thus can be a great killer. imo the fact that it is all so fast is something actually quite wonderful about the move, throws like these if used immediately can actually be used a separation tool against ICs, as they don't allow much time like other throws for the other IC to retaliate.
At high percent, it can also function like a D3 bthrow with a little more follow up potential, all you need is one or two pummels to equal or surpass D3's bthrow in damage.

hough123

Smash Ace
Here's a not so simple question for you guys: is Lucario number 14 on the tier list because the people above him are better, the people below him are worse, both, or because he is underestimated?

Other answers are acceptable as well.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
It's all of the above.

If people are above him, it usually is because they are better. When people are below, It probably means they are worse.
(Would I put Link above Metaknight if I thought he was one of the worst characters in the game?)

And a good fraction of the competitive scene doesn't know lucario that well.

Not that it really matters because the most knowledgeable of the scene hold the players that placed him where he is. But it could have possibly contributed.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
He is both offensive and defensive, but he is far better played defensively since there is no reliable way to take on the offensive.

EDIT:

I read as "Agressive and defensive" -_____________-

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
He is both offensive and defensive, but he is far better played defensively since there is no reliable way to take on the offensive.

EDIT:

I read as "Agressive and defensive" -_____________-
lol you got mindgamed.

Lucario shouldn't really play aggressively. the overly aggressive lucario can and will get punished pretty badly.

offensive is another matter. when you say offensive, it means you are the attacker. This doesnt mean dumbly charging your opponent. rather it means attacking your opponent carefully, and exploiting his weaknesses.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Wow for some reason I just had this brain wave. Imagine if Lucario`s ES had Aura Flames around it, kind of like Falco`s recovery but with Aura. Now that would be pretty sick to me. Any thoughts on this.....

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Lucario having a proper UpB???

preposterous. everybody else would be ZOMG we has to times are edgehog noooeeesss!!!!

Lucarioowl

Smash Apprentice
Does f- smash have invincibility on the 10th frame or on anyframe in that area. Sometimes when I use said move projectiles either clank at palm area or just pass right through it. Done against Samus (armor) and falco.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious as how to deal with kirby's bair spam. do any of lucario's aerials beat it outright? fair clashes, but that's not a good trade. any advice would be helpful.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Does f- smash have invincibility on the 10th frame or on anyframe in that area. Sometimes when I use said move projectiles either clank at palm area or just pass right through it. Done against Samus (armor) and falco.
It's because his hurtbox (his paws) are hitboxes as well, so lucario gets the transcendent aura coupled with that last line of defense with his paws, which lets him clank with stuff that isn't too powerful or transcendent as well.

And Stauffy is right, Kirby bair is a punish move by nature, so you have to do either very low commitment attacks, or wall him out with utilt/ftilt.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Does Luc's Utilt beat out Kirby's Dair if timed correctly? I can't really test it out myself because the only time I play kirbies/kirbys? is in tourney.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Does Luc's Utilt beat out Kirby's Dair if timed correctly? I can't really test it out myself because the only time I play kirbies/kirbys? is in tourney.
Uptilt will beat any nondisjointed move if only the aura hits >_>

Top Bottom