• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Evo 2015 Smash 4 Ruleset: Customs Possible!

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
About damn time. I feel like the metagame just won't be at its full potential until we explore custom moves.

I'm excited to see what custom combos will be pulled off. They will always surprise the audience, for sure.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Customs
2 Stocks
5 minutes

^ LOL

This is what happens when you sell out the passion of the Community for corporate greed.

I will never understand why Duck Hunt (stage) is legal. Like.... are you serious?

Also, "there's nothing random about these things happening" is probably the most fallacious arguement I've heard all day. Might as well make Wrecking Crew legal while you're at it, or even Kalos Pokemon League (though this stage is beautiful).

If you change a move of a character, you are transforming/altering an aspect of the role their design is supposed to play, essentially making them a totally different character; by changing the character with this, you also alter the MU entirely. I mean seriously....We already can counter-pick stages, now customs too?

This metagame will become far too "counter-happy" as opposed to trying to outplay the opponent with your wits and your general, overall skill.

Customs are fun, but not as standard tournaments. We may as well be playing Pokemon or Custom Robo.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
we've killed most of the game enough for this competitive stuff. custom moves, which is one of the biggest features of smash4, should at least be legal. else let's just play Melee.

heck even teams are for 2v2. why don't we try 4v4 instead?
Smash4 is not Melee - it's time to try out something new. something risky and something exciting.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
C
I will never understand why Duck Hunt (stage) is legal. Like.... are you serious?
It's not any worse than Yoshi's Story.

If you change a move of a character, you are transforming/altering an aspect of the role their design is supposed to play, essentially making them a totally different character; by changing the character with this, you also alter the MU entirely. I mean seriously....We already can counter-pick stages, now customs too?
We've been able to counter-pick characters since Melee, so why not?

Customs are fun, but not as standard tournaments. We may as well be playing Pokemon
You mean that game that requires a ton of knowledge, depth, adaptability and is most definitely competitive?

heck even teams are for 2v2. why don't we try 4v4 instead?
We did a 4v4 tournament over here, was great to watch, great to play. Comebacks were great (We had a 1v3 at one point, but because of the percentages all being around 80, the 1 was able to play around the other 3 and scored a win) and was well received by all. Some potential teams were cncidered being strong (GAW + Samus, Villager + Samus, ect) so we actully had 2 character bans for each team, ala Dota/LoL. Surprised how well that worked.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
It's not any worse than Yoshi's Story.

We've been able to counter-pick characters since Melee, so why not?

You mean that game that requires a ton of knowledge, depth, adaptability and is most definitely competitive?

We did a 4v4 tournament over here, was great to watch, great to play. Comebacks were great (We had a 1v3 at one point, but because of the percentages all being around 80, the 1 was able to play around the other 3 and scored a win) and was well received by all. Some potential teams were cncidered being strong (GAW + Samus, Villager + Samus, ect) so we actully had 2 character bans for each team, ala Dota/LoL. Surprised how well that worked.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is 4v4 tournaments, would be a great way to make tournaments more enjoyable.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I'm all for customs at tourneys, mainly since they need a CHANCE to be in the spotlight before going "lel 2 OP bann it".

The problem is getting a set for every character. But I'm confident that someone can find a way to get it in. Maybe it could work like PKHex, in the sense that a file is moved to the SD card, then the moves (or even sets?) are moved to the game through crashing the Internet Browser? It's possible to hack in custom moves, as seen by the fact that a Japanese hacker could get in some unused ones. If you haven't seen that, I suggest you look it up.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
What we can expect for certain characters with Customs:

Link:
He will probably use Hero's Bow as his N-Spec due to power and charging time being in moderation, though it's possible there could be the Power Bow when the opponent is extremely far from him and can be hit by it and KO'd early. But then he could also use Quickfire Bow, which charges extremely fast and is safe against reflectors as reflectors would have to come very close and would be punished.

The only Side Special he could have that would be viable would be his Boomerang, which will probably be the only thing people would use for him.

His Down Special will most likely be chosen as Meteor Bomb. You know why.

For his recovery, all three Spin Attack moves are viable for him; one, he could use the Whirling Leap for an extra amazing recovery, as other characters have non-hitting recoveries that go far. Shocking Spin can be compensated due to Link's Z-Air and is a very powerful attack (ground) and semi-spike (aerial finisher). Regular Spin Attack is a mix of both, pretty much, and can KO you from near the top of the stage.

Ganondorf:

Let's make this shorter...
Warlock Blade
Flame Choke or Flame Chain
Wizard's Drop Kick
Dark Fists or Dark Vault

Just saying.

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
Acquiring all customs for the console is a hassle, and the time required to create them mid match takes it's toll on time, we also see some controversy in adding them in tournaments...

Answer:
Only one custom move can be changed on your character.
You would need to unlock it from your 3DS to port it onto the console, less time consuming as you don't need the whole list of customs for said character.

Thoughts on this?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I'm so excited for custom moves to be used in Smash 4. It would make the commentary alot more interesting as to why that certain player chose that custom move. It will also help it differentiate itself from Melee, since Melee can't really do that.

Also, with that said. Does that mean some Melee stages will be affected too because of the music on the stages?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Acquiring all customs for the console is a hassle, and the time required to create them mid match takes it's toll on time, we also see some controversy in adding them in tournaments...

Answer:
You would need to unlock it from your 3DS to port it onto the console, less time consuming as you don't need the whole list of customs for said character.

Thoughts on this?
Not everyone has the 3DS version, y'know

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
What on earth is this music licensing nonsense? I cannot fathom how this could possibly be an issue here - it's Nintendo's game that they released with certain music, and if they want to support it seriously they had better sort out whatever licensing there may be. It's utterly unprofessional and frankly ridiculous for them not to.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Answer:

Thoughts on this?
It's been said earlier, but more than likely, considering Ampharos tweeted the community pre-made custom move selections to Mr Wizard that made him decide to use them, we'd be seeing those used, all of which can be added by a single 3DS.

There's no need to SD card memory file hacking or anything.

What on earth is this music licensing nonsense? I cannot fathom how this could possibly be an issue here - it's Nintendo's game that they released with certain music.
And the conditions that they were given the rights to use that music for clearly don't allow it's use outside the non-profit, consumer-only use of playing the game. It could be an example of public performance rights (Like how VHS tapes used to have at the start a splash about not showing it in public, for private use only in the home. The fact that Nintendo's sponsoring the event clearly affects it somehow.

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Customs at a major tournament? Wow... I'm not saying customs is a bad idea, but wouldn't it sorta ruin the history of previous tournaments? I've seen what customs do. I faced this link and he killed me with an arrow at like 20%...
The Link Death Arrow thing is only possible with use of equipment.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
it's a good ruleset, I don't like 2 stocks but it's just me, if customs become legal at EVO they can become legal everywhere, and that's really good for the game's meta and variety, too bad that skyloft is not legal, but what music is licenced on that stage?

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
if customs become legal they should not allow power ups/equipment. and also, what's up with nintendo and "legal issues"? seriously...
yeah, equipment is not fair at all, do you imagine a player that starts with the baseball bat, that would be so stupid, but custom moves are really good, they don't give a general advantage on everyone

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
ZeRo already saying that he doesn't think including customs is a wise dicision in the tweets.

I hope top players like him start having an open mind about custom moves and take the time to learn about them properly.
I don't think ZeRo would be happy with any decision that may make things harder for him to win or change the *current* tier list.

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
I don't think ZeRo would be happy with any decision that may make things harder for him to win or change the *current* tier list.
I agree, especially after all the stuff he said when CEOJebailey started asking about customs.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Wow, I'm surprised; people wanted to have Customs IN tournaments, and now that we have EVO, people are like:

"Oh noes! Customs are in tournaments!!! Ban, ban, ban!!!!11!1!1!"

Really? People, stop being hypocrites and just watch the damn tournament; if you're not participating in the damn tournament, then don't complain! It's not like it really affects you whatsoever.

And for the licensing, it's possible that it's because the 3rd Parties don't want their music to be listened to in the tournament. It's not Nintendo's decision, it's the musicians' decision. (Love that rhyme)

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Customs
2 Stocks
5 minutes

^ LOL

This is what happens when you sell out the passion of the Community for corporate greed.

Also, "there's nothing random about these things happening" is probably the most fallacious arguement I've heard all day. Might as well make Wrecking Crew legal while you're at it, or even Kalos Pokemon League (though this stage is beautiful).

This metagame will become far too "counter-happy" as opposed to trying to outplay the opponent with your wits and your general, overall skill.

Customs are fun, but not as standard tournaments. We may as well be playing Pokemon or Custom Robo.
First off, I don't get the issue with Duck Hunt. There are no game breaking hazards on the stage, and it's closer blastlines on the edges make for great counterpicks with characters with weaker attacks.

I can understand your point about transforming the matchups, but how is that a bad thing? Is not allowing customs and allowing characters like Ganondorf and Paluntenia to remain in the bottom tier a better choice? A major issue with other Smash games, as well as other fighting games is that the top tiers never tend to change. You'll always see the same teams or pretty much the same characters in the top 8 of virtually every singe time, with maybe a wildcard team or character somehow breaking through.

With custom movesets, you can shatter this, and give lower-tier characters a chance to shine. You also make the metagame less static, and more versatile since a player just can't prepare for a single version of a character.

Ganondorf is considered a better character when he can have his customs. What is the better choice, playing it the same as we always have and just let him wallow in the bottom tier hoping that maybe some miracle will happen to let him win tournaments or let him have his customs to increase his chances of winning?

As a Ganondorf player, my answer is in favor of giving him his custom moves.

You still need skill to use the custom moves, especially since many of them change the properties of moves. For example, Metal Blades, Hyper Bombs, and Shadow Blades all have different propties. You still need skill and knowledge of how these moves work to use them.

You can change all the custom moves you want, you still need skill and talent to win matches. Just switching out Metal Blades for Hyper Bombs does not suddenly let you win matches. In fact, many of the custom moves have their own drawbacks as well. It's still a risk/reward.

Custom moves are not an instant win button, nor will every single one counter a matchup.

I just don't get it. People complain about Smash 4's depth, and we have something here that not only sets Smash 4 apart from the previous games, but might even help solve the issue of static tier-lists that other fighting games tend to have and people are afraid of custom moves.

Do people really want to see the same characters finish at the top, while the same characters sit in the bottom tier every single time? If custom moves could shake up the metagame and the tier lists, how is that a bad thing?

Do people really want to see Diddy, Sonic, Shiek, ZSS, and the odd wildcard character in every single top 8?

If custom moves can change that, and give characters like Ganondorf a chance, then what is the problem?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow, I'm surprised; people wanted to have Customs IN tournaments, and now that we have EVO, people are like:

Really? People, stop being hypocrites
It's generally not the same people.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I dont understand how any of you could be excited about this, this goes against everything the smash community stands for as whole.
So the Smash community stands for complaining while encouraging a top tier to ruin the meta, because they don't like variety, as well as purposely letting bottom tiers sucks, when there is something that does that, and makes 4/5 of the cast at the same level, while getting rid of the characters we've learned to hate? Wow, never knew the Smash community stood for that.

Oh wait! It doesn't.

We're excited because we like this. And by your logic, your IP address, profile pic, and name should all be banned unless everyone on this forum gets it by default. OH, and we should be doing 2 minutes time matches on any stage with all items on high.

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
So the Smash community stands for complaining while encouraging a top tier to ruin the meta, because they don't like variety, as well as purposely letting bottom tiers sucks, when there is something that does that, and makes 4/5 of the cast at the same level, while getting rid of the characters we've learned to hate? Wow, never knew the Smash community stood for that.

Oh wait! It doesn't.

We're excited because we like this. And by your logic, your IP address, profile pic, and name should all be banned unless everyone on this forum gets it by default. OH, and we should be doing 2 minutes time matches on any stage with all items on high.
You really think diddy kong is ruining the meta? I'd rather watch diddy dittos than matches that time out. If something can bring a low tier up to top tier from special moves alone it's probobly because you have to spam their custom special. Custom moves have not been tested this isn't the time to test it. Why can't you people understand it's a huge risk? Evo isn't a smash tournoment, this is the worst time to test it. All these people who want to advance the meta have no idea what they are talking about an advancing meta is not always a good thing. Why are you people trying to screw over your own game? I'm not agianst custom moves only for this tournoment.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Really? People, stop being hypocrites and just watch the damn tournament; if you're not participating in the damn tournament, then don't complain! It's not like it really affects you whatsoever.

And for the licensing, it's possible that it's because the 3rd Parties don't want their music to be listened to in the tournament. It's not Nintendo's decision, it's the musicians' decision. (Love that rhyme)
Zero is the one has problems with customs but it open to them.

They just don't think customs right now at EVO is the right call.

I get their mindset even if I disagree.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
*sigh no matter what it is, people are afraid of change
Honestly, customs improve a lot of characters, plus they are 1 or 2 changes to preexisting moves. It's not like Warlock Punch was changed into Inhale >_>
People are just hesitant because they don't know much about customs

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You really think diddy kong is ruining the meta? I'd rather watch diddy dittos than matches that time out. If something can bring a low tier up to top tier from special moves alone it's probobly because you have to spam their custom special. Custom moves have not been tested this isn't the time to test it. Why can't you people understand it's a huge risk? Evo isn't a smash tournoment, this is the worst time to test it. All these people who want to advance the meta have no idea what they are talking about an advancing meta is not always a good thing. Why are you people trying to screw over your own game? I'm not agianst custom moves only for this tournoment.
The spamming part of this isn't true.

The testing part is.

*sigh no matter what it is, people are afraid of change
Honestly, customs improve a lot of characters, plus they are 1 or 2 changes to preexisting moves
Some are scared of how some might be legit broken but not fully tested and given when it would be finalized that is a concern.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
The spamming part of this isn't true.

The testing part is.

Some are scared of how some might be legit broken but not fully tested and given when it would be finalized that is a concern.
I can understand that concern when you've got customs like DK's windbox Up-B or Bowser's "dash slash"custom side b. But let testing begin, at most I see one or two customs being banned. Other than all that, I'm for them
Granted I'll probably use one or two per character
Kirby - Upper Cutter
Link - regular boomerang
But then it all depends on matchups XD
That also begs the question, will challengers be limited to one set? Or can they freely change between sets (2134, 2213, 1111 for example) ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom