• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Evo 2015 Smash 4 Ruleset: Customs Possible!

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Couldn't they just set the songs that have copyright issues to never play? Surely there has to be at least ONE song on those two stages that aren't slapped with a copyright.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I'm VERY confused about the stages thing, given that this is a Nintendo game being sponsored by Nintendo themselves... not to mention if music is the issue, then the music can just be turned off for those stages. I gues that's Nintendo for you.

Anyway, customs being at EVO would be fantastic. I've been very vocal about wanting them legal on the forums and how they would help the game's reputation coming off of Apex, which a lot of people had complaints about, so this is very good news. Let's make this happen, Smashers!

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
I really really really hate this, I dont think custom moves has any place in competitive smash and just makes smash 4 more of a laughing stock. I'm cancelling any plans I had to go to evo because of this. I wish there was a vote or something done because there is no aspect of custom moves that is competitive. It's random, now every character we have to expect different moves out of which changes match ups and changes our knowledge of each character. As long as smash has been around since 64 to Smash 4 when we learn the game we learn characters dilligently and I think this ruins that completely. It's really really sad, I really hope this doesnt catch on to other tournaments.

Muc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mucmaster
The stage list probably had to be okayed before hand to avoid copy right and that's why the stage list is locked. As to why they can't just mute the music that's not approved, it's probably just for ease of enforcement.

UltimaNylocke

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ULTI#211
NNID
UltimaNylocke
REALLY happy that PS2 isn't legal, and I'm not even a contestant.

The rules are still awful like Apex, but I'm glad customs are being allowed, even if it's just going to be 1-1-1-1, 2-2-2-2, 3-3-3-3 stuff. Does this mean Mii legality? I was a bit disappointed about them at Apex because one of the reasons san didn't go is because Mii Gunner wasn't legal.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
if customs become legal they should not allow power ups/equipment.
No one has ever argued for Equipment to be legal.

Can we at least do a poll on this? This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. This is a tournament. T.o.u.r.n.a.m.e.n.t. Custom moves in a tournament? How are we suppose to practice for stuff like Marth's shield breaker that slides across half the stage?? Custom moves are banned for the same reason Mii's are banned. They can be customized and therefore unpredictable at times, especially when you just start the match and don't even know your opponent.
How are you supposed to practice against that? Use and play with custom moves. I thought that was obvious?

And Mii's are legal in a lot of tournaments, just using the default 1-1-1-1 movesets, just like Palutena. There's not really any reason to ban them. Hell, the only other argument I've seen against Miis was "We don't want Hitler vs Jesus." So just use the default Miis on the console?

As for "They can be customized and therefore unpredictable at times, especially when you just start the match and don't even know your opponent."

1. You could always make it that you show/say the moves before/at the start of the match.
2. Competitive Pokemon.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i personally think that if for any reason a player wishes to switch their custom loadout say from a set thats 1213 to another thas like 2132 that they should have to forfeit their stage ban in order to do so. As changing custom loadouts in and of themselves can be considered counterpicking in a way. that or if the losers opts to change custo set that they are then either forced to give their counterpick up to their opponent or they must replay on the last stage they played on. Take these suggestions as merely that. I just felt i should throw my 2 cents in on possible ways we could eliminate things dragging out with having to deal with people counter picking characters, then custom sets and then stages and what not.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
i personally think that if for any reason a player wishes to switch their custom loadout say from a set thats 1213 to another thas like 2132 that they should have to forfeit their stage ban in order to do so. As changing custom loadouts in and of themselves can be considered counterpicking in a way.
You mean with how people change characters to counterpick? Just have it in the rules that changing the moves of a character counts as changing character and should only be done at the time the player's allowed to change character. (Winner after stage is picked, loser after opponent changes)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Can we at least do a poll on this? This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. This is a tournament. T.o.u.r.n.a.m.e.n.t. Custom moves in a tournament? How are we suppose to practice for stuff like Marth's shield breaker that slides across half the stage?? Custom moves are banned for the same reason Mii's are banned. They can be customized and therefore unpredictable at times, especially when you just start the match and don't even know your opponent. We should be able to keep this fair for everybody.
Since you asked so nicely, and for anyone else thinking along similar lines...

Here you go.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
You know that special soundtrack being distributed as a gift for Club znintendo members who bought both titles? Well, on the back is a note from Sakurai himself saying that they'd never be able to sell the soundtrack due to copyright and licensing of the individual pieces. Just some food for thought.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Even factoring out customs, I wonder how this bodes for Mii Fighters and Mewtwo.

Still think it's silly that Nintendo didn't just mandate My Music have all the potential copyright music set to never appear. Not like it's difficult to do for each set up, especially considering each one has to meet unlock criteria already.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
What the hell. The music? Are you serious? That doesn't even make half sense.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Finally... customs at a major tournament.

With this, we might see some Palutena, Shulk, and (dare I say it?) Meta Knight players.
Metaknight main here. Customs on MK are very situational. I and I think most other MK mains prefer 1111. They're great for Shulk and Palutena though.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
You know, I find it odd that a stage like Town and City is even Counter-Pick, when in all sense of reality, it has a stage hazard that will KO you off the side, something that is actually bannable on stages. Seriously, that stage should be a complete and utter ban or at least heavy counterpick.

As for Customs...
Expect to see that ONE Link player that has Meteor Bombs.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Custom moves are already banned in most tournaments, making a lot of people having no practice against them. As for your other reasoning, I clearly meant Mii's that have customized moves, didn't know I didn't make it obvious. Showing moves before the match begins? Wasting time in tournaments + do you expect for an opponent to adapt in a few seconds to that? You do realize that around 376 custom moves are in the game, right?

Barely any tournament player uses them and therefore it shouldn't be allowed in the tournament. Most people are against them anyway.
Ganondorf is rarely played in brawl, most people don't have experience playing against him.
#Banned.
Wasting time in tournaments? I stand corrected, the 3 seconds required to inform your opponent of your custom choices is surely an untenable burden on TOs.
"Most People are against them" Objectively false, polls consistently indicate an 80-90% approval rating for custom specials. Stop projecting your own inflexibility on others.
The fact is, if you are unable to adapt to dynamic play in a competitive setting, you don't deserve to win.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Metaknight main here. Customs on MK are very situational. I and I think most other MK mains prefer 1111. They're great for Shulk and Palutena though.
I dabbled in MK a while ago. I personally like the Drill Breaker, the side special that did heavy damage to shields.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Custom moves are already banned in most tournaments, making a lot of people having no practice against them. As for your other reasoning, I clearly meant Mii's that have customized moves, didn't know I didn't make it obvious. Showing moves before the match begins? Wasting time in tournaments + do you expect for an opponent to adapt in a few seconds to that? You do realize that around 376 custom moves are in the game, right?

Barely any tournament player uses them and therefore it shouldn't be allowed in the tournament. Most people are against them anyway.
And if EVO allows them, suddenly people have incentive to practice.

It's like magic!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Even factoring out customs, I wonder how this bodes for Mii Fighters and Mewtwo.

Still think it's silly that Nintendo didn't just mandate My Music have all the potential copyright music set to never appear. Not like it's difficult to do for each set up, especially considering each one has to meet unlock criteria already.
Better safe and than sorry, I guess...

And what do you mean about Mewtwo?

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
I dabbled in MK a while ago. I personally like the Drill Breaker, the side special that did heavy damage to shields.
Not that big of a fan. Regular drill can stage spike an unsuspecting opponent and can be used as a mixup to get back on the ground/Smashville platform because you can bounce off the stage (and it actually regains your ledge invinciblity).

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506

A) I'm pretty sure you're trolling.
B) Whelp they have 4 or 5 months to brush up I guess.
C) By your logic, your profile picture should be banned too

Muc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mucmaster
Custom moves are already banned in most tournaments, making a lot of people having no practice against them.
Fun fact. The tournaments smash attack and xanadu are going to start using customs in the coming weeks so your gonna start seeing a lot more at tournaments.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Better safe and than sorry, I guess...

And what do you mean about Mewtwo?
I'm not sure why he'd be related to the custom issues, but I guess it was wondering if he'd be allowed, which seems silly since he'll be just another regular character, more than likely available by then.

Or maybe it's a "DLC or no" question. Hmm...

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
This is really sad that this is the direction that Smash 4 is going to already, I see no difference between allowing custom moves and allowing items. Melee and PM truly are the only two competitive smash games now. RIP Smash 4.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is really sad that this is the direction that Smash 4 is going to already, I see no difference between allowing custom moves and allowing items. Melee and PM truly are the only two competitive smash games now. RIP Smash 4.
Aren't custom moves an easily controllable element, that simply alters the properties of a move to predictable levels, whereas items being unneeded varying levels of randomness?

If you understand how custom moves all work, nothing's different.

Besides, competitive gaming is all about min-maxing to win, so more than likely every version of a character at that level will use the same moves, because they're the best. (Jump Glide on Palutena, Power Vision on Shulk, etc.)

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Didn't know I offended so many people here. I was just kind of angry hearing the news. Sorry though., but I still stand by my opinion.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Gr8 B8 M8, I R8 8/8.
I know you aren't really that stupid.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Aren't custom moves an easily controllable element, that simply alters the properties of a move to predictable levels, whereas items being unneeded varying levels of randomness?

If you understand how custom moves all work, nothing's different.

Besides, competitive gaming is all about min-maxing to win, so more than likely every version of a character at that level will use the same moves, because they're the best. (Jump Glide on Palutena, Power Vision on Shulk, etc.)
How can you not see that it's just as random as items? You would have to prepare for any sort of type of moveset combination, how is that not different from allowing Special Smash for instance? Lets say 7 items were allowed instead of all of the items, instead of just preparing for a character MU we'd have to prepare for those 7 items we'd have to know exactly what to do with those 7 items but they would still be random. Each item would come out at different times and would never be consisitent, each character you face would have a different moveset and wouldn't be consisitent. But maybe items are a bit of a stretch so lets go back to Special Smash, lets say we allow Smash 4 no items bunny ears sped up and metal turned on, how is that different than custom movesets?

I just think this is kind of a joke and I deeply hope that tournaments will not do this. I'd rather go back to melee than put anymore time into a game that allows custom moves.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nice bait. :colorful:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Warning Received
How can you not see that it's just as random as items? You would have to prepare for any sort of type of moveset combination, how is that not different from allowing Special Smash for instance? Lets say 7 items were allowed instead of all of the items, instead of just preparing for a character MU we'd have to prepare for those 7 items we'd have to know exactly what to do with those 7 items but they would still be random. Each item would come out at different times and would never be consisitent, each character you face would have a different moveset and wouldn't be consisitent. But maybe items are a bit of a stretch so lets go back to Special Smash, lets say we allow Smash 4 no items bunny ears sped up and metal turned on, how is that different than custom movesets?

I just think this is kind of a joke and I deeply hope that tournaments will not do this. I'd rather go back to melee than put anymore time into a game that allows custom moves.
Mic Edit: Don't. Disagree all you want, but don't just post a youtube clip insulting someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom