• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
Updated OP with a few more things about meteor canceling and footstools.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this looks very very awesome. HYPEMMMMM

Also, are character physics going to be adjusted? Or have you done that already? I'm really interested to see how super fast characters like squirtle and sonic are going to work.
Also, ugravity up?
Another question... does MAD have the stall at the end if you use it in the air?

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
So let's see...
Brawl is the sequel to Melee. Brawl+ is one take on improving Brawl, as is Balanced Brawl, making both spiritual successors to Brawl. Brawl- is more of an alternate universe-ish thing to...er something? Would this make Project M a spiritual successor of Melee, a crossover of Melee and Brawl+, or the Laverne and Shirley of Brawl+?

shanus

Smash Hero
Oops, good catch.

At the end of the MAD, you go into special fall. BADs still behave as normal. *Edits into OP*

UGravity has been upped considerably. As mentioned in the previous post, all character physics have been adjusted considerably.

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
Oops, good catch.

At the end of the MAD, you go into special fall. BADs still behave as normal. *Edits into OP*

UGravity has been upped considerably. As mentioned in the previous post, all character physics have been adjusted considerably.
Very awesome. Is this going to go through the intense public beta testing that brawl+ did, or will it be mostly private?
EDIT: Also, is crouch cancelling going to be in it?

EDIT2: **** shanus... you lookin so good.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Any chance we could get a few preview videos of this? Even if a bit buggy, seeing some of the physics changes in motion would really help hypeM. :p

shanus

Smash Hero
Very awesome. Is this going to go through the intense public beta testing that brawl+ did, or will it be mostly private?
I'm sure it will when its released. However, until the few major bugs (outlined at the end of the OP), and the remaining characters are mostly finished, I will hold off on releasing it. I want this to come out feeling fairly refined from the get go. For example, I had a few beta testers come in immediately before graphic replacements happened, and they were wondering why they would wavedash and luigi would be upside down (his old specialfalllandlag in brawl was him upside down). Stuff like that.

This reminds me:
A few characters of Brawl's new cast have rather 1 dimensional playstyles. For example, Ike. If players have ideas for technical additions to their gameplay, please feel free to post. A lot of characters are being spiced up to their melee level of depth (a la falco with his melee shine, waveshaining, multishines, or falcon with moonwalks, etc) and I don't want any characters to feel left behind.

Shadic, as the OP mentions, my recording device is currently broken. I'll try and get some up soon though.

bleyva

Smash Ace
so, is kirby back to escapable throws and whatnot? is he horrible again?

....god i hope so

shanus

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I'm looking to recruit a few additional coders for a few advanced changes. I require people versed in PSA & Brawlbox animation editing to add to the team.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I may be able to help of, depending on what you need for animations and whatnot. Also, I don't have time at the moment, but you are I are going to have a little Link chat. :)

NNID
Budget_Player
So let's see...
Brawl is the sequel to Melee. Brawl+ is one take on improving Brawl, as is Balanced Brawl, making both spiritual successors to Brawl. Brawl- is more of an alternate universe-ish thing to...er something? Would this make Project M a spiritual successor of Melee, a crossover of Melee and Brawl+, or the Laverne and Shirley of Brawl+?
Brawl- is the continuation of sakurai's work to make the game utterly and completely stupid and ridonkulus.

Also, dammit. Now I know where all the hip new coders are gonna go after the Brawl+ gold release. :(

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Despite me being a Brawl***, I support this fully.

Sounds like Melee 2.0, but w/e, it was bound to happen eventually xD

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Now all we need is sound effect replacement and perfected model alteration and we can really make this feel like Melee (well, as it is I never liked Fox, Falco, and Mario's Brawl models and voices anyways; plus, Brawl's fighter common sound effects are a bit on the weak side). Something tells me I'll probably drop Brawl+ for this immediately when it's released. I still wish for Brawl+ to receive a lot of competitive attention though by then.

shanus

Smash Hero
That reminds me, camelot has been making some nice progress in making percent specific sound effects when your characters are hit for more epic feelings. Like when you are hit at high percent its more brutal sounding so to say. its solid.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I have been very interested on how that is done. Sadly, I haven't gotten to experiment with PSA at all yet, but from the little I've seen my idea was to place each individual's "brutal beating" sound at the start of it rather than where it's currently placed. I also assumed that the "whooshing" air noise was placed in either common3 or common5.pac and I would do the same thing and replace it with Melee's "common brutal beating" sound effect.

I'm glad there's already some progress there. Even without sound replacement, that would help a ton.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
it will never take hold. just like B+ and BB failed to do so. regular brawl is the future. accept it

shanus

Smash Hero
it will never take hold. just like B+ and BB failed to do so. regular brawl is the future. accept it
Given the fairly consistent amount of B+ tournaments, I disagree :-)

At the same time, this was a project which had a lot of requests for a long time, so providing my work for public enjoyment is such a crime!

You consistently troll in these topics, and for no apparent reason either. It'd be like me posting in your threads, "It will never be a better game. Brawl failed to get the same turnout as melee at Pound 4, accept it." See how I added nothing valuable to the world in posting that statement? That's kinda like you, in every post you make here.

Moving on, please ignore Xyro's posts, I'd rather keep this on topic.

Rudra

Smash Ace
This sounds amazing! I cant wait to see this in action! Incidentally, since its a "successor to Melee", does that mean there may be a place for Roy/Doc/Pichu/YL/Mew2 too?

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
This idea is incredibly awesome, I really didn't expect that. Even if I really like Brawl+, I wanted a Melee 2.0 project-like to come, and here it is. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to try it =D !

Cross.

Smash Ace
this will be worth playing, for me atleast. melee 2.0 was always what made the most sense to me. not any of that other stuff, especially when brawl+ is jus trying to make brawl more like melee anyways.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i like how all these random colored name people (seems to be mostly brawl backroomers..) come into the workshop and tell us how much of a failure our projects are.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i like how all these random colored name people (seems to be mostly brawl backroomers..) come into the workshop and tell us how much of a failure our projects are.
they're just jealous that mbr approves of cape's stagelist

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
If you guys want it, i made a vertex hack of falco to look more like melee falco. his headset removed too

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
what about adding in Dash Canceled Grabs. That could help out quite a few characters bad grab range.

Also : considering Xyro77's post. It seems that Brawl+ is not a failure at all. Its atleast a side tournament at almost every big tournament now. Herb and Pound are the two notable ones. I think vBrawl was the failure of a project...

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
this will be worth playing, for me atleast. melee 2.0 was always what made the most sense to me. not any of that other stuff, especially when brawl+ is jus trying to make brawl more like melee anyways.
Haha, no. It shares features that both Smash predecessors have in common to make Brawl feel like a true sequel. If you had bothered to keep up with the project, you would know this.

The intent of Project: M is to make it like Melee, which is going to be sick.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I just want to say that we're not aiming for perfect balance right now. The goal of the project right now is a fun recreation of Melee's technical skill, speed, and fluidity with a bit of balance tweaking, new stages, and new characters.

We're not saying that we're trying to change the face of the tournament scene. The latest GSH Brawl+ build and BBrawl are much better suited to attempting that. We just want to have some fun.

And it will be fun, if our WIP builds are any indicator.

Almas

Smash Lord
This project is doomed to failure.

Seriously, though, I've played the early beta versions of this a few times and it is a great laugh. The game is getting to feel more and more natural as our ability to abuse Brawl's engine is expanded.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
This sounds amazing! I cant wait to see this in action! Incidentally, since its a "successor to Melee", does that mean there may be a place for Roy/Doc/Pichu/YL/Mew2 too?
These are probably strongly dependent on the project developers and the further development of Brawl hacking, but I would like to see them optimized for Project: M.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
No no, I actually like the polarizing differences between the two back rooms:

Melee BRoomers: We love your projects and trust us when we say Cape's conservative stage list is the right way to go for Brawl+

Brawl BRoomers: ASDF WHARRGARBL your projects will fail they're only for casuals and will amount to nothing, go back to Brawl

See the difference yet?

Back on topic: I really can't wait for Project M to be released at this point, even at an open beta, this'll be a fun modification for sure. Now I've got to start playing Melee again in anticipation @_@

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Oh snap. I remember a whiiiile ago you told me about this project, Shanus. Didn't think you were serious, haha.

Definitely interested in trying this one out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom