• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
Crispy, youre right. It may also affect other kinds of thing->ground colllision, like items, fireballs, etc.

Hopefully I can make the code conditional so that it only affects exactly what we want.
I have my usbgecko with me, I just don't have a wii down here in Cocoa, Florida.

If someone actually lives around here I can try to get it done :p
Sounds like a job for...

RedHalberd!!

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Crispy, youre right. It may also affect other kinds of thing->ground colllision, like items, fireballs, etc.

Hopefully I can make the code conditional so that it only affects exactly what we want.
Either that, or move items/fireballs/ledge grabbing/etc's ground interaction up to make up for the offset.

I know nothing about Brawl coding and such, but I'd imagine that'd be more involved. Might be a possibility regardless.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I wonder... since Melee registered landing detection lower than Brawl for the characters, wouldn't it have done so for projectiles and items as well? Point is, that stuff might not need to be adjusted at all if the ground was 'lowered' behind the scenes. (it'd still all have to be tested of course)

Ledge grabbing is the biggest thing I can think of that would cause trouble. But my understanding is you guys can already adjust that on its own now.

ds22

Smash Lord

I have my usbgecko with me, I just don't have a wii down here in Cocoa, Florida.

If someone actually lives around here I can try to get it done :p
Why didn't you bring your Wii as well?

G

genkaku

A ha! Watching this gives me an idea!
If the problem we have is characters landing too early, I should find where the game stores the coordinates of the platforms, and alter them on read to move them down further.....that may work and should be easier to do, especially since the stage format is 100% understood.

It may affect other stuff, but its at least a vector of attack I haven't tried yet.

Ill look into it...when I get home...in...January
That's the first thing I thought of months ago but it seemed so inelegant I stopped myself from saying anything.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
If the problem we have is characters landing too early, I should find where the game stores the coordinates of the platforms, and alter them on read to move them down further.....that may work and should be easier to do, especially since the stage format is 100% understood.

It may affect other stuff, but its at least a vector of attack I haven't tried yet.

yesssssssss I
by posting one of his old vids
gave him a good idea! :)

SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A WII

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
@Eternal Yoshi

for example if I went to the SSS
and chose final destination while holding R
it would bring up final destination's music chooser from my music I would tweak with it
then I hit B to go back
it would load the stage final destination

that way you don't have to constantly leave the game because the music is being annoying
This is actually a really cool idea, but there are more useful things that could be implemented first.

@GrimFandango
Oh noes *Yall be Flamins Teh Yoshnes mah Littel 7 yar oold No0b HAr-t c'nt tak this anay moore
Ima call the Cybah PO lEES on yo ***!!!!11one
I lol'd

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace

Although you'd be looking at platform coordinates, how would you fix the stage itself?

OverLade

Smash Hero
RedHalberd, you are in Tampa. You are only 2 hours away from Dant.
2 hours is way out of my reach, it's on the opposite coast. If I had a car and a tournament as an excuse to go sure, but like I said, Dark Sonic and Leaf are much closer to him.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
They used tabuu to map out 100% of the bytes in character pac files, it was not one of them as far as I know.

Furthermore, landing detection is significantly more complex than you all give credit for.

In particular:

Different move types have different landing detection "boxes." For example, PW had looked into it for us a bit, and had found one type location for regular falling with mario, but said he couldn't find all the ones for aerials, specials etc. So its not only trudging around in assembly, but its *multiple* boxes per character dependent on the action they are in.
I see. Well, if there's any high-level programming tasks to be done, I could take a shot at it

Chum

Smash Apprentice
Dantarion, how long would you need the wii? I might be able to get you one tomorrow since your only 20 miles north of me, I'll ask a friend tomorrow if I can take his, no idea how it will go though since I don't know how much he uses it.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Well, I don't NEED it at all, I would like to have one to mess with though.

I wouldn't mind actually PLAYING :M sometime either, maybe we can work something out, AIM me, im Dantarion on AIM

SmashClash

Smash Apprentice
@Eternal Yoshi

the point was to go to my music when the button was held
but it would go straight to the stage's music selector page
that way you can change the stage's music priority
and once you leave the page it loads the stage

not make a new menu all together -_-

for example if I went to the SSS
and chose final destination while holding R
it would bring up final destination's music chooser from my music I would tweak with it
then I hit B to go back
it would load the stage final destination

that way you don't have to constantly leave the game because the music is being annoying
It would be useful for when you're on the SSS, if you're on Wii+Nunchuk to Hold "Z" & "C", then pick a stage, and right before the battle starts, the battle screen will "freeze-in-combat". Then a song name may be at the mid-left part of the screen, so then you can use the analog stick to switch song names before you battle. Once you select it with "A" you can fight.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
So I was playing with GuruKid the other day and noticed the removal of the buffer option. Excuse me if it's been discussed before (since obviously I haven't been around these parts in ages) but he told me it's because Melee had 0 buffer and that Project M should also have it to make it require the same amount of tech skill and that in tournaments the handicap option would be banned.

So my question is why? The game feels clunky and loose without buffer, at least for the character I play who I think requires at least 3-4 frames. Perhaps other characters don't but in a sense it's somewhat of a character based thing. Not all characters will need a buffer window, I know when I played with Falco I didn't need one but if I tried to stream anything with Ike it would always get interrupted by random moments of idle and it was pretty annoying to say the least. Mind you while I do think timing and precision IS definitely skill-based; in the case of Brawl it's a little weird because the engine is terribly slow compared to Melee so the chance of stopping short due to mistiming is greatly increased.

I dunno maybe I'm too used to Brawl or Ike is just too slow for a "meleefied" engine but it didn't feel all that great to control until I turned on the handicap option. Sorry if this has been brought up before by the way. It just seems like the option should at least be available for those characters/playerswho need it.

One other question - does the buffer apply to the l-cancel timing?

kaizo13

Smash Champion
Silven buffer wasn't removed. It is just turned off by default now. You can turn it On manually under options.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Erm... Learn to actually time the next attack straight after the last?
It isn't that simple....you're not talking to some random scrub here. I played Melee for years and same thing with Brawl and Brawl+ and there's a fundamental difference in execution tolerance due to the different engines and their respective speeds. I'm not even gonna bother getting too into it but the timing is fairly simple when you're doing moves and hitting air but when variables like shield stun, hit lag and other things that effect an animation's speed are introduced; the timing of your next attack has to be adjusted slightly to match those timings and that's not easily done with certain characters due to various elements. Sure I can get used to it over time but I feel it's an unnecessary and somewhat arbitrary skill barrier (if you'd even call it that) especially since it effects some characters more than others.

My question really, was why is it pending a ban? I know that I can enable it in the options and play with it in friendly matches but according to Guru it was supposed to be banned in tournaments whenever PM released. I'm looking for the rationale for that, not how to overcome it...

Rikana

Smash Champion
It's not up to pmbr to ban it. The option is there. If they "ban" it by taking the code out which leaves them with one option but they didn't. Its only up to the tournament host to decide whether or not buffer would be allowed.

I honestly wouldn't care if buffer was on or not. I just feel playing on buffer 0 is more rewarding in my perspective. You can tell I'm not really into "play to win" kind of person. I just like playing a game to have fun.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Just get used to it...It can't be that hard lol you are probably just used to only playing ike with buffer on. Though I haven't played it yet so I can't be sure if it's really a problem.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Just get used to it...It can't be that hard lol you are probably just used to only playing ike with buffer on. Though I haven't played it yet so I can't be sure if it's really a problem.
Yeah you'd have to play with a slow character to see. Ganon, Bowser or something..it stands out more. Either way, I guess Guru misspoke or something... never mind then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom