• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vro

Smash Lord
port priority only applies in melee if two people do a move at the same time, the person closest to port 1 gets the hit. if that same situation happened in melee we both would have gotten hit with the bomb
I simply do not think this is true. Most moves either clank or have no exchange if they are done the same time in melee. AFAIK port priority in Melee only affected same frame grabs and same frame edge hogs, and smaller things. Not attacks.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I simply do not think this is true. Most moves either clank or have no exchange if they are done the same time in melee. AFAIK port priority in Melee only affected same frame grabs and same frame edge hogs, and smaller things. Not attacks.
Things port priority affects.

2 attacks hitting the same character in oposite directions with the same knockback (determines which way they go).

Grabs happening on the same frame.

Multiple characters picking up an item on the same frame.

Grabbing the ledge on the same frame.

Characters occuping the same exact spot (port closer to 4 is shoved).

I'm probably missing a few, but port priority pretty much applies whenever things that can't be possible at the same time...are trying to happen at the same time. Brawl added port priority to characters getting hit while in a grabbed or grabbing state (which is dumb), but overall port priority is only a minor concern.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
IRMarf, stop suggesting nerfs already! haha
Balance comes with balance stage, no?
Lol. How is meleefying D3's CGs a nerf? Diddy's bannanas got meleefied, MK was nerfed before he got a chance in the Melee enviroment, and ICs are losing their hand offs. Making D3's dthrow a less Brawly CG isn't really anything new.

EDIT: Also, some of the PMBR said that infinites are poor design, so his CGs would get nerfed anyway.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm seriously not trolling. I promise.

Last time I was here it was in the title. It's not now. I had a glimmer of hope that maybe it got solved which would be awesome. Only posted again cause the only reply was the "you may never know" thing.

Sucks, but I'm still wicked stoked for this to hit open.

Stevo

Smash Champion
what is this projects position on ledge occupancy, especially when concerning rolling up from the ledge. (and ledge attack)

will the lengthy edge occupancy after the roll be maintained from melee?
(perhaps it already is)

and my next question then would be

should it stay the same as melee? my guess is the answer to this is yes because the main audience is melee platyers, but I havn't seen this discussed really, so forgive me if it's been brought up already a bunch.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
I'm seriously not trolling. I promise.

Last time I was here it was in the title. It's not now. I had a glimmer of hope that maybe it got solved which would be awesome. Only posted again cause the only reply was the "you may never know" thing.

Sucks, but I'm still wicked stoked for this to hit open.
Don't worry, stingers is the troll of pm

LiQViD

Smash Cadet
what is this projects position on ledge occupancy, especially when concerning rolling up from the ledge. (and ledge attack)

will the lengthy edge occupancy after the roll be maintained from melee?
(perhaps it already is)

and my next question then would be

should it stay the same as melee? my guess is the answer to this is yes because the main audience is melee platyers, but I havn't seen this discussed really, so forgive me if it's been brought up already a bunch.
As far as I can tell from videos it seems that this is not implemented yet. I don't know if it will be, but I think it should. EG Ike is practically impossible otherwise.

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
The developers haven't taken a firm stance on the issue in this thread as far as I know - at one point someone (I think Jcaesar?) said Melee ledge occupancy was pretty stupid and should not return. Later on I believe someone else said it was crucial to the Melee feel and would be returning. Either way it's a substantial coding challenge, so in the event they (read: Dantarion) can't figure it out, Brawl occupancy will stay.

I actually agree with both statements: it's an important part of the Melee feel, but is also pretty stupid. Whether or not it should return is up in the air.

I apologize if I've conveyed any incorrect information... This is all from what I can recall lurking this thread since April. I'd like to hear the developers' current stance.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Pretty sure you're accurate, Krautrock. I think if we get a code working, we're going to try somewhere between Brawl and Melee levels.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Pretty sure you're accurate, Krautrock. I think if we get a code working, we're going to try somewhere between Brawl and Melee levels.
+ 1 vote for this (not that my vote counts for anything, especially since Dant = 9000 votes)

I think that is one of the things I would change about melee

could have it a bit longer than brawl though, but I only played brawl for a week, so Im not really sure how long it is.

oh and thx for the responses

G

genkaku

I'm pretty sure if landing detection was fixed there would be at least... 2 posts of gratitude.

Ulevo

Smash Master
So, if I may ask the question... Although alleviating the daunting task of actually implementing landing detection would be a nice bonus, is there REALLY any reason for you guys to not just, you know. Look at all the benefits landing detection gave to every character in Melee, and then alter the frame rates as of now to reflect landing detections effects? Or is there some crucial piece I am missing here that just won't make it "feel quite right" if you do that?

I'm all for bringing back techniques and such, but if you're trying to ensure that characters land on their knees instead of their feet to achieve a similar, if not the exact same result, wouldn't that be a better method?

By the way, I want Project: M for my christmas present, please.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i noticed Air Dodging onto stage is being used alot more frequent in P:M than it ever was in Melee (not sure if it's safer or wat-not)

also it's obviously easier to get ahold of the ledge since either you can grab the ledge sooner after AD'ing or it's just character ledge reaches are still too long.

and should they be able to grab the ledge backwards from an AD? ...idk

EDIT: @Ulevo

doing that would just allow some techniques to become possible (not all) but it wouldn't bring back the feel we all want. Project M should keep striving for landing detection until
it seems completely impossible.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
But, like I said, I really haven't checked this thread in awhile.

Since no one near me has this, and I'm not in the back room(as I'm neither good at coding or a Melee/Brawl pro) it's kind of like going to the strip club for me.

Yeah it's fun to look and all. But I'm just gunna go home with my nuts hurting.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Lol. How is meleefying D3's CGs a nerf? Diddy's bannanas got meleefied, MK was nerfed before he got a chance in the Melee enviroment, and ICs are losing their hand offs. Making D3's dthrow a less Brawly CG isn't really anything new.

EDIT: Also, some of the PMBR said that infinites are poor design, so his CGs would get nerfed anyway.
right now its the same as the b+ dthrow. DDD can still CG a bunch of characters. I don't see how chaingrabs that are escapable are a problem, seeing as they require skill, almost more skill now that you can't grab people behind you.

EDIT: ICs can CG just fine. its part of their game, it always has been. thats why controlling two characters at the same time is a terrible idea, and sakurai will forever have to live with the fact that he created a character centralized around being gay lol

No but for reals guys... did it actually get solved?
You would know about it if it was, trust me.

i noticed Air Dodging onto stage is being used alot more frequent in P:M than it ever was in Melee (not sure if it's safer or wat-not)

also it's obviously easier to get ahold of the ledge since either you can grab the ledge sooner after AD'ing or it's just character ledge reaches are still too long.

and should they be able to grab the ledge backwards from an AD? ...idk
its not safer, you are probably just watching a lot of my videos lol. I've always airdodged to the stage a lot in melee, I don't know why, I just think its a good mix up. Its also very common for snake, since his aerial game and recovery are complete garbage.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
So um...
What IS the seemingly diffcult issue to fix about landing detection? Like, codewise, what's making it so hard to fix?

I probably wouldn't know but I would like to tackle it if it's in the right language

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
But, like I said, I really haven't checked this thread in awhile.

Since no one near me has this, and I'm not in the back room(as I'm neither good at coding or a Melee/Brawl pro) it's kind of like going to the strip club for me.

Yeah it's fun to look and all. But I'm just gunna go home with my nuts hurting.
:p
If you come to Worcester you can play!
-DD

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
for Lucario, at first, I was like ":D"

but then I saw that his burners went out and he never really used aura in his attacks "D:"

is this because the aura effect when applied to Lucario actually lets his attacks "scale", thus removing them makes them a constant ratio that isn't affected by percent?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Hmm... old and overused lurk jokes are old and overused.

right now its the same as the b+ dthrow. DDD can still CG a bunch of characters. I don't see how chaingrabs that are escapable are a problem, seeing as they require skill, almost more skill now that you can't grab people behind you.

EDIT: ICs can CG just fine. its part of their game, it always has been. thats why controlling two characters at the same time is a terrible idea, and sakurai will forever have to live with the fact that he created a character centralized around being gay lol
Yeah, I agree. CGs are good if players can tech/DI out of it. And I won't miss IC's Handoffs, but if they still have crazy grab combos I'm good.

Stevo

Smash Champion
So um...
What IS the seemingly diffcult issue to fix about landing detection? Like, codewise, what's making it so hard to fix?

I probably wouldn't know but I would like to tackle it if it's in the right language
this is the second time this guy has asked

someone should at least fill him in a little bit. Who knows, maybe he CAN help.

OverLade

Smash Hero
What's landing detection? Why can't Marth double fair? Why can't mario SHBair to waveland? THIS GAME SUCKS!

Revven

FrankerZ
Any physics changes to Lucario would be nice to know too: dgrav, FF speed, air maneuverability/speed, ugrav, etc.
His gravity is similar to Mewtwo's (NOT the exact same) so he's no longer as ridiculously as floaty as before but also isn't identical to Mewtwo's floatiness (due to being different characters obv).

Derkis

Smash Cadet
So um...

I could be wrong, but I think it's in assembly. In that case, it's so difficult because you're trudging through machine code changing values and testing their effects on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom