• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
The Snake thing just came to me as his attacks are really powerful, and he's won like every single game I've seen so far
there's a diff between being good at the game and a char being overpowered... trust me.. if you tried winning with snake you would see what we mean. It aint fun being waveshined into your own mine

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hey I know nothing about landing detection at all but like...
basically, the amount of frames you land earlier should be number for any given character right?
so can't you just speed up all moves by that x number of frames at the end? and it'll basically be the same?

besides wavelanding anyway

OverLade

Smash Hero
looooool at snake being "over powered."
lmfao i was thinking the same exact thing
Seriously these people have no idea. Even in Vbrawl any character can take on snake because his defensive options from the air are so poor. In melee 90% of the cast will be able to 0-death him relatively easily. Making his offensive game absolutely absurd is the only way he'll be viable.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
I think some people just can't see a line between "Overpowered" and "good".

And i completely agree with the shanus argument on the early beta thing. I'm ashamed to have ever wanted it ):

I wanna see a snake get waveshined into a mine <_< That's my new goal in life.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Well maybe it's just me, or maybe good Falco/Melee (in general) players haven't played the updated project yet. I guess I'll wait till something like Ally vs Shiz happens. Until then I guess we won't know if Snake (or any other character) is OP/good/bad. Although one bad thing is that most elite Melee players just stick with Melee or don't have a Wii :-\

BTW what programming language is Brawl written in? If it's in VB, C++, C#, or Python then I think I'll probably mess around with it a bit after it's released. High school commtech digital imaging/design + university computer science FTW

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yup. Can we make the Two hits of Snake's ftilt connect again?

Or make Jab's windown faster so it will link to ftilt?

He'll need more than mine and C4 hijinks to be good.

As for my question the requirement aparrently wasn't being meant. How is this?
If you don't know, I'm trying to have certain things happen (GFX and stuff)when the character is launched at certain speeds.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
This.

A somewhat off topic question for a Just-For-Fun PSA.

I can't seem to get the Launch Veloctity Variable 1005 to work properly.
When I put it in PSA, it shows up as this:

If Comparison Compare: IC-Basic[237] >= 80(Scalar)
Stuff
Else:
Stuff
End If

Why is that?
Despite what the quote may tell you. the requirement doesn't seem to be met regardless of the scalar value.

Has Olimar been looked at yet in P:M?
I'm willing to bet not yet.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
This.

Despite what the quote may tell you. the requirement doesn't seem to be met regardless of the scalar value.

Has Olimar been looked at yet in P:M?
I'm willing to bet not yet.
Could you put the code in context please? Is "(Scalar)" inside your code? My natural guess (when I have problems like that) would be because the "IC-Basic[237]" might be stored as a different variable type, IE. string, float, integer, etc, or because a variable was defined inside a function/outside but is trying to be used inside the function... (as variables defined inside a function are not the same ones defined outside a function, and are cleared at the end of a function unless the value is returned)

But I dunno, I don't really know what your intent/context is, so I might be talking about something totally irrelevant.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Looked at more vids of Boozer, love what's been done to him, but really, was the range on Ftilt/Jab/Fair reduced?

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Yup. Can we make the Two hits of Snake's ftilt connect again?
they already do.

Or make Jab's windown faster so it will link to ftilt?
it also already does

He'll need more than mine and C4 hijinks to be good.
snake has a lot of options if you know how to utilize them. watch any of my snake vids, or sneaks snake vids. we both have totally different but effective styles.

and for all the people questioning it, trust us, Snake is FAR from OP. he is a very hard character to play, we have just been playing him for months so we know what we are doing (to a degree).

I still remember Shanus mentioning that he'd tell us what he planned for Oli's upB. Still never heard a word about it. :(
He does have something very special planned, but I can't release that information

Ulevo

Smash Master
He does have something very special planned, but I can't release that information
If I may ask, was there necessarily a problem with his original Up B? Or was it just something Shanus decided was special enough to include?

I'm primarily asking because I'm curious about where the inclusion of tether grabs are going to sit in this project. I for one hope they are maintained for the non-melee veterans that use them, at the very least.

shanus

Smash Hero
Alright, I guess I have to go into detail on this one.

In brawl, there was a very select methodology on how to desync pikmin, but it was entirely impractical.

In Project M, I made a code where if you buffer a smash attack from a whistle (not literally buffer, but you must go into a smash attack and no other actionID between whistle and the smash), ALL of your pikmin desync into that smash attack. Now this hear sounds immensely OP, because it is with 6 pikmin (6 pikmin desync downsmash can do over 100% damage lol), but the plan is to reduce him to 2-3 pikmin which will make use of desync incredibly tactical but not spammable.

Very cool uses include:

Pikmin latch -> upsmash or uthrow -> desync usmash on the latched pikmin for a vertical kill

However, you can realize that with 2-3 pikmin, pikmin chain will be completely unusable. Thats why we were going to make a new usmash for him. I am toying with the idea of giving his upB as a zair (not sure if that is even possible), but its way too early as I haven't put much work into him.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
That sounds cool. You do have to get a pikmin latch and then grab for the most effective combos, but they would be very powerful. ie latch, grab, fthrow or bthrow off stage, desynch-fsmash.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Alright, I guess I have to go into detail on this one.

In brawl, there was a very select methodology on how to desync pikmin, but it was entirely impractical.

In Project M, I made a code where if you buffer a smash attack from a whistle (not literally buffer, but you must go into a smash attack and no other actionID between whistle and the smash), ALL of your pikmin desync into that smash attack. Now this hear sounds immensely OP, because it is with 6 pikmin (6 pikmin desync downsmash can do over 100% damage lol), but the plan is to reduce him to 2-3 pikmin which will make use of desync incredibly tactical but not spammable.

Very cool uses include:

Pikmin latch -> upsmash or uthrow -> desync usmash on the latched pikmin for a vertical kill

However, you can realize that with 2-3 pikmin, pikmin chain will be completely unusable. Thats why we were going to make a new usmash for him. I am toying with the idea of giving his upB as a zair (not sure if that is even possible), but its way too early as I haven't put much work into him.
That actually sounds amazing. And at 3 Pikmin, it would make managing the three via whistle for specific uses that much easier (i.e. blue Pikmin for back throw).

Wouldn't one possibility for his Up B be to keep his six Pikmin, but when using the desyncing method you are describing, to have only 2-3 desync? Maybe even have 4 Pikmin and have all but one desync. Or is that not possible?

Personally I like the idea of having only 3 Pikmin to rotate like your original concept. I just can't think of a suitable Up B solution to compensate. I'm sure you guys will think of something.

Maybe this... You know how Luigi gaina height on his Down B if you spam B rapidly while used in the air? You could maybe make Olimar gain height when he blows his whistle if you do a smash with down + B at the same time, but when you just hold down then press B, he simply falls. Kind of like Links smash boomerang vs regular boomerang concept. Also, you could add decay to the lift when he whistles, like how Yoshi loses vertical height after each egg throw.

Just one idea. It'd be decent with SA frames, and one way to help compensate for a shorter tether.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
I think a cool UpB would be something akin to the IC's or G&W's UpB.
Example: You could have one of the pikmin die to give olimar a boost into the air.

shanus

Smash Hero
Desyncing is all or nothing, unfortunately Ulevo.

One idea we toyed with is the "Pikmin Copter", lol.

Basically, imagine his nair with a pikmin chain out and goes up at a diagonal.

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
Had alot to read
about the leakage..... thats d.a.m.n Shame.. i figured that would happen eventually, you cant keep nothing in house these days unless it just stays IN. im talking select few individuals who can 99.99% be trusted. But look at it this way, at least its not all over the internet or anything. However, yall should check out yall backroom and reconsider who yall send yall updated builds from now on or i wouldnt be suprised if these leaks continued. the last thing yall want is someone to share this on something like mediafire.

On the olimar thing, Dsyncing Pikman O_o?!? that sounds crazy.. and a pikman copter would be beast!

Edit: will you be keeping this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJUsofOe-I&feature=related

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Holy crap, Link's Up B gets respectable distance! That and Cuba is making P:M Link look mighty fast. Really got to credit Shadic and the less vocal Link:M developer (which is exactly why I forgot his name) for their work with him.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Camelot was the guy that helped me with Link. He's the one that did the Rapid-jab long before I was a member of the team. He's a talented guy and makes some awesome animations.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Camelot, that's right. Really good stuff going on with Link:M. Is his Up B more momentum based or does it simply gain much more horizontal speed? One particular time cuba had to recovery really stuck out when Link got big distance. He almost doesn't need AGT for recovery.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
What's up with Link getting hurt by the bomb when cuba used UThrow on Zel? That was really weird.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
That is how Link's bombs acted in melee. You could throw a bomb up in the air and hit yourself with it. They must have added that to Link:M. Or it could be a slight oversight on how the video displays it.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Nothing like visiting this thread to get some hype from videos and informations in my currently very busy days, thanks PMBR. :)

Are you planning to change some of Lucario's physical attacks animations? The movement feels unfitting with the knockback and being aura less, such as dtilt, fair, uair and for a less extent, bair. Probably just a few tweaks would be enough to look right.

I loved the new Din's Fire, people must be more open-minded to that kind of changes. She can setup EG now, doesn't even need to get of the stage and hope to come back with that crappy UpB. :B

Bowser and Link are looking great, can't find much to complain even if I wanted.

I am wondering about King Dedede:M, any plans for him guys?

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Camelot, that's right. Really good stuff going on with Link:M. Is his Up B more momentum based or does it simply gain much more horizontal speed? One particular time cuba had to recovery really stuck out when Link got big distance. He almost doesn't need AGT for recovery.
if you b pivot your up b you go really far horizontally. its pretty hard to do consistently lol, probably harder than a bomb jump in melee

What's up with Link getting hurt by the bomb when cuba used UThrow on Zel? That was really weird.
thats some bawrl BS. port priority and all that. he was in a higher player port, so he didn't get hurt from the bomb, and I did. its stupid and makes no sense. thats what makes Snake in 4P OP

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think that's just the consequence of port priority. Fox probably had the higher port, and since Link was still in his throw animation, Link got the short end of the stick.

thats some bawrl BS.
If I recall correctly, port priority was also in Melee.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
port priority only applies in melee if two people do a move at the same time, the person closest to port 1 gets the hit. if that same situation happened in melee we both would have gotten hit with the bomb

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Port priority seems to make sense in a few cases, but otherwise that seems really ridiculous when Fox's hurtbox is blatantly ready to eat the bomb.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Speaking of D3, I assume you are meleefying his dthrow right?

I don't think he should lose CGs but they should obviously be nerfed. His Dthrow should be like Marth's melee Fthrow, but perhaps limited set knock back or just less KB so its more effective as a chain grab.
It should be techable at around 15% on middle weights/some floaties and about 25-30% on fast fallers.

G

genkaku

IRMarf, stop suggesting nerfs already! haha
Balance comes with balance stage, no?

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
So I haven't checked this thread since the title said every problem was Landing Detection. The fact that it no longer says that makes me wonder...

Could it really be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom