• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Last I saw (which was a while ago; I keep missing the streams), Ness's PK Flash moves like Lucas's vBrawl PK Freeze.

JOE!

Smash Hero
seriously, why is there nothing listed about what major things have been done to chars (that likley wont change, such as bowser side b or MK's glide-less SL) anywhere?

shanus

Smash Hero
seriously, why is there nothing listed about what major things have been done to chars (that likley wont change, such as bowser side b or MK's glide-less SL) anywhere?
because we will have it all complete when the project is completed.

Things are subject to change, so why would we spend significant amounts of time detailing things that are backroom only?

JOE!

Smash Hero
because people wanna know?

besides, there are vids out of the characters and it makes people go "wait, hows he doing that? whats this? etc, etc"...

also, is momentum canceling still in or is it only DI?

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Trophy Description I made for Meta Knight, Melee style:

Meta Knight

The head of the Meta Knight’s, and something of a rival to Kirby. He's quite an accomplished swordsman. Following his code of knightly ethics, he once delivered his sword to Kirby and demanded single combat. His giant cape transforms into wings, giving him the power of flight. He's shown his face briefly before, but his relationship to Kirby is still a mystery.

Kirby’s Adventure 3/93

^Not mine. Text belongs to Nintendo

Meta Knight

Like Jigglypuff, Meta Knight seems to use the air as his main weapon, dancing with the Galaxia sword as he cuts through anyone who attempts to break his psych. He has a ferocious variety of attacks that, if used correctly, can literally destroy the psych of a player. His Mach Tornado throws any and everyone around.

B: Mach Tornado
Side B: Shuttle Loop

Meta Knight

While he has a good variety of attacks, the player must realise that it comes at a cost. He is lightweight, and because he’s entered a whole new world, now has a tip system that has to be hit with pin-point accuracy. On the up-side, his Shuttle Loop doesn’t go into free fall, like in vanilla Brawl.

Up B: Shuttle Loop
Down B: Dimensional Cape

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
because people wanna know?
Because EVERYTHING IS LIABLE TO CHANGE. Every. Single. Thing. And we don't feel like shouting every change we make from the rooftops when some things will require some adjusting to, and we may not even keep them in the first place.

We've had enough cycles of people freaking out about random stupid crap in this topic.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'd say probably physics updates and even then, someone's bound to bring up something semi-related but completely useless to talk about.
ALR comes to mind, for God's sake...

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I don't understand why you guys just don't push out a demo of "completed" characters in the game, so far. It would definitely curve some appetites to play this game. Everything being so secretive and "backroom"ed is a good repellent to an audience.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
There was a solid idea to release a "High/Top Tiers" demo of P:M possibly along with one Brawl character (likely Snake or Lucas) which would be good for displaying physics accuracy along with allowing people to practice the new techs and such.

I think landing detection is really holding back on that though.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I don't understand why you guys just don't push out a demo of "completed" characters in the game, so far. It would definitely curve some appetites to play this game. Everything being so secretive and "backroom"ed is a good repellent to an audience.
even something like this would be great...

I mean, Ive been looking up tons of vids, but then they just usually show a space animal doing melee-stuff (like, why is there no Dojo post for Fox or all people? (and even then there are only 2 dojo posts to account for like the...6+months spent on this?))

even with the vids I still dont know how some stuff was changed exactly, it'd be awesome if there were like little consensus stuff like:

:ganondorf: :

Some old melee animations restored, better tech-chase game, better recovery

:bowser:

Heavy Armor on some attacks, Koopa Klaw is back.

somethign as simple as that would suffice, as it gives a brief summary of the direction the character is going towards in this project, and is easily edited in case you guys wanna pull a uturn and change ganon completley or such

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
There was a solid idea to release a "High/Top Tiers" demo of P:M possibly along with one Brawl character (likely Snake or Lucas) which would be good for displaying physics accuracy along with allowing people to practice the new techs and such.

Why do i get the feeling once this is solved P:M will be released? This Landing detection seems to be a royal pain in the ***.

I R MarF

Smash Ace

I'd think DI would hold back on that more.

But yeah, a demo with a custom CSS that featured Fox, Falco, Jiggs, Marth, Shiek, C. Falcon, Peach, Wolf, Snake, and Sonic would be cool.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's the most crucial part of the engine, really. It makes some SH aerial tricks more feasible or even possible for that matter (Mario's SH Bair waveland), allows things like SHL to reach really low levels, and there are some platforms tricks that some characters like Ganondorf need the shin-height landing detection for. Wavedashing is also too easy to do perfectly and the timing for L-canceling is a tad thrown off too.

All I can think of besides that would be C-stick actions, specific buffers, and DI (both the addition of DI when not in tumble and nerfing of diagonal DI) and people can at least live without those for the time being.

EDIT: Actually, you're right. DI would be rather important to fix too.

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
I wish i could code so i could help solve this thing. Its crazy that a detail so small as landing on your knees vs landing on your feet can hinder you from doing so much. (I think someone said that earlier in this thread). Also, i think i asked this already, but as far as L-cancelling, does L have to be pushed all the way down or can it be tapped (Lightshielding) to initiate an L-Cancel?

shanus

Smash Hero
Because the back-end engine is updated every day. Let alone today, 3 codes were updated including melee-exact meteor cancel mechanics (non-spammable upB, etc, but frame window altered to be between brawl and melee), banana tripping is techable (with a frame window finally installed), and I think something else (but I'm forgeting)

People don't appreciate how rapid development is, and placing out an unfinished demo is sure to leave a foul taste in some players mouth. For example, count the number of complaints on a PM youtube video of unfinished Yoshi's Story and how it doesn't have randall. Something so stupid yet unfinished can completely destroy credibility or desire to play.

As much as you guys want this, I ask you to be patient. We have jobs, lives, etc, and I can tell you so far we have put together an absolutely amazing product. However, its not done, and no matter how bad you want it, we as a team only want to put the best product out possible.

NxtGenFalco93

Smash Apprentice
if a beta would be released, the thunder would be taken away from the full release, and this thread would probly get alot less posts. great games with a lot of hype (cod IE) dont relase betas or demos b/c they dont need to sell thier audience on the game, but if the beta/demo comes out and people are dissapointed, the game will get less sales. i think PM should wait till completely done, cuz a beta or demo would ruin the hype a bit, and may cause people to not get the full thing. i think the waiting is awful too, but the hype for this is great.

EDIT: wow my points got out wile i was writing this...^i agree with shanus exactly

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Shanus, we do appreciate it, hence the 1000+ pages of post in this thread, spam or not. Even with the multiple updates, a demo would quell the many curiosities about this game, and keep fans quiet for a while. This is just my opinion, though. I won't be a round much longer to keep up with this project. I hope all goes well with it.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Because the back-end engine is updated every day. Let alone today, 3 codes were updated including melee-exact meteor cancel mechanics (non-spammable upB, etc, but frame window altered to be between brawl and melee), banana tripping is techable (with a frame window finally installed), and I think something else (but I'm forgeting)

People don't appreciate how rapid development is, and placing out an unfinished demo is sure to leave a foul taste in some players mouth. For example, count the number of complaints on a PM youtube video of unfinished Yoshi's Story and how it doesn't have randall. Something so stupid yet unfinished can completely destroy credibility or desire to play.

As much as you guys want this, I ask you to be patient. We have jobs, lives, etc, and I can tell you so far we have put together an absolutely amazing product. However, its not done, and no matter how bad you want it, we as a team only want to put the best product out possible.
Shanus is absolutely right. If you were in the back room you'd understand just how much **** there is left to do before we can please the hardcore Melee crowd. And that's the one audience we don't want to dissapoint.

shanus

Smash Hero
And thats only when we began using an SVN, it'd probably be more like 3000 if we used svn from the start.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Any chance of making Ganon's nair a sex kick?

Also, can we have a list of things that ARE left to do? Aside from meleefying characters of course.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Shanus, we do appreciate it, hence the 1000+ pages of post in this thread, spam or not. Even with the multiple updates, a demo would quell the many curiosities about this game, and keep fans quiet for a while.
...Clearly you were not around for B+ development.

A released demo would do nothing to shut people up. Not even for a day. Instantly we'd have stupid complaints about every single little thing we've already known about but haven't gotten around to fixing.

People would be swearing that ProjectM sucks because "wavedashing doesn't feel right." Or "I can't Thunderstomp through platforms." Or "Where's Randall on Yoshi's Story?" or "Castlevania lags in 4 player matches!" or "I can/can't DI out of combos that I used to get stuck in/used to be able to get out of in Melee!!"

Anything released now will not do a good job of representing the project as we have intended it to be. Core game mechanics are still being worked on.

Not to mention we don't really need playtesters at all, so the team itself wouldn't get much out of a public demo at all. We already have tons of sources of professional feedback.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You Ninja'd me.

Anyone wanting a beta should just look at the History of Brawl+ and how well it turned out.

Spoiler:
It didn't.

And the fact that the project went through over 2000 revisions should be proof enough of the work they have done and why releasing betas won't work.

Xyless

Smash Master
Releasing an imperfect or unfinished demo can only hurt hype, not help it.

Dangling a twinkie in front of a super fat guy running on a treadmill makes him hype up that twinkie like no other. If you gave him a taste of that twinkie halfway through his exercise, he may decide that he doesn't really care much for that twinkie, and will just give up.

Jay Talbayne

Smash Apprentice
As much as i would love a beta to be released, i understand the PMBRs decision. Granted, in my opinion the game could function as a beta, but i dont know the half of how the technical aspect of the game (coding ,frame data, etc) works. Therefore people may complain heavily on how they can do some stuff in melee and not all or not as much as they want. I admit, i was a little upset that i could barely SH Double Fair, in B+. it didtn turn me away from it, but when you have a mod that is being pumped up so much, it has to come correct, or it will be like it didnt come at all. Beta release or not there are going to be people who arent going to like this even after it is finished. But i feel yall on keeping it in house until it is fully ready. And since all of the backroom are pro and are coders who know the Ins and Outs of the game, yall will know when its ready.. and ill be waiting to see the title show a release date, or an announcement showing its release. XD

Keep it moving PMBR dont rush it... in the mean time!!!!
*Plays melee*

Revven

FrankerZ
Any chance of making Ganon's nair a sex kick?
Nair is actually good now because of the hitboxes Brawl gave it, meaning hitboxes that actually stick around for the duration of each kick. Of course good is subjective, it's definitely not a move to use often but it can be used when you feel it is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom