• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I asked this earlier and didn't get an answer- not to sound insistent, I just need something clarified

Is YTLink able to bomb drop much higher off the ground and if so, is this exclusive to him or does Link get this as well?

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Alright.

Also, since Pichu is being brought back with Roy and Mewtwo... I put some thought into an interesting way to make Pichu not only more viable, but also to give players a reason to opt him over Pikachu's superior range.

What if you could choose whether or not you wanted to electrify pichu and damage yourself for ALL of his attacks? No, I am not talking about a spin-off of Lucas's offense up or Lucario's revamped aura. In fact, I think this would work better if it had nothing to do with his b moves at all.

Instead, I think it would be interesting if while Pichu is attacking the player can press A [again] to electrify pichu for the rest of the attack. This will alter the affects of the attack (such as increasing KB, making the attack multi hit, changing trajectories, etc.) but also damage pichu.

Furthermore, you can elaborate on this Pichu specific technique to create small learning curves. For instance, there can be certain timeframes within his attack animations where "electrifying" pichu would heed better results than arbitrarily pressing A. For instance, Pichu's "non-electrical" fsmash could be a weak headbutt. If you press A to electrify early in the animation it'll be melee fsmash. However, if the player doesn't press A until the full extension of the headbutt in the animation, the fsmash will have farther reach and won't be multi hit.

Of course, I don't know if something like this can be coded. I am just trying to be creative. But since pichu will probably be made ground up I thought this suggestion might stand a chance for being implemented in light of the circumstances.
While that sounds like a pretty cool idea in theory, it goes against Pichu lore in the Pokemon continuity. Pichu is stated in most of the Pokedex entries to not be able to control its electricity very well, and a few even suggest that Pichu can hurt itself if it isn't careful (which is where the idea in Melee came from, though I think that point in particular borrowed more from the anime, which shows Pichu explicitly hurting itself with its power, rather than subtly implying it like the in-game Pokedex entries). To have Pichu be able to control exactly when it uses its electricity in that manner seems odd, especially since that makes it seem implicitly that it has greater control over its electricity than Pikachu - who can't control when he uses his electricity at all (in a game sense. He'll always will or will not use electricity when he attacks).

So again, cool idea, but it's pretty contradictory to Pichu's flavor text. It depends entirely on the person how important Pichu's flavor text is when compared to gameplay. But since it's pretty much stated in nearly all of its Pokedex entries, it is one of the only biological quirks that separate Pichu from other Pokemon, and as such is a pretty huge part of its character.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I find adding Pichu back into the game to be pointless and a waste of time. I don't even know why Pichu made it into Melee in the first place. (Was it really that popular back then?) I would say that Pichu is the most stupid clone that they made. (No offense to Pichu fans out there.)

I have yet to stumble upon a post where a PMBRoomer confirms that they will be adding Pichu in P:M for sure, so I'm still hoping that that is just a wild rumor, and that time would be better spent elsewhere.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
People don't realize that making a Brawl character work WELL in a Melee environment and be awesome is actually more difficult than porting over a Melee character and making them work better.

Dant needs to do his Clone Engine magic to make it work, of course, but that's going to be done regardless.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I'm overall satisfied with the way Ganondorf turned out, since he was a clone, and all. I am interested in what Roy might end up being like, though.

King Luigi 128

Smash Cadet
I put some thought into an interesting way to make Pichu not only more viable, but also to give players a reason to opt him over Pikachu's superior range.

What if you could choose whether or not you wanted to electrify Pichu and damage yourself for ALL of his attacks? No, I am not talking about a spin-off of Lucas's offense up or Lucario's revamped aura. In fact, I think this would work better if it had nothing to do with his B-moves at all.

Instead, I think it would be interesting if, while Pichu is attacking, the player can press A [again] to electrify Pichu for the rest of the attack. This will alter the affects of the attack (such as increasing KB, making the attack multi-hit, changing trajectories, etc.) but also damage Pichu.

Furthermore, you can elaborate on this Pichu specific technique to create small learning curves. For instance, there can be certain time-frames within his attack animations where "electrifying" Pichu would heed better results than arbitrarily pressing A. For instance, Pichu's "non-electrical" f-smash could be a weak headbutt. If you press A to electrify early in the animation it'll be melee f-smash. However, if the player doesn't press A until the full extension of the headbutt in the animation, the f-smash will have farther reach and won't be multi-hit.
That's a neat idea.. though it seems like it would be more fitting for Luigi someone like Geno.
(Yes I know he wouldn't be 'officially' part of this project, like how Mewtwo might be.. but still!)
Honestly, this idea sounds pretty similar to "Timed Hits" from the Mario RPG's don't you think?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Alright.

Also, since Pichu is being brought back with Roy and Mewtwo... I put some thought into an interesting way to make Pichu not only more viable, but also to give players a reason to opt him over Pikachu's superior range.

What if you could choose whether or not you wanted to electrify pichu and damage yourself for ALL of his attacks? No, I am not talking about a spin-off of Lucas's offense up or Lucario's revamped aura. In fact, I think this would work better if it had nothing to do with his b moves at all.

Instead, I think it would be interesting if while Pichu is attacking the player can press A [again] to electrify pichu for the rest of the attack. This will alter the affects of the attack (such as increasing KB, making the attack multi hit, changing trajectories, etc.) but also damage pichu.

Furthermore, you can elaborate on this Pichu specific technique to create small learning curves. For instance, there can be certain timeframes within his attack animations where "electrifying" pichu would heed better results than arbitrarily pressing A. For instance, Pichu's "non-electrical" fsmash could be a weak headbutt. If you press A to electrify early in the animation it'll be melee fsmash. However, if the player doesn't press A until the full extension of the headbutt in the animation, the fsmash will have farther reach and won't be multi hit.

Of course, I don't know if something like this can be coded. I am just trying to be creative. But since pichu will probably be made ground up I thought this suggestion might stand a chance for being implemented in light of the circumstances.
I like this idea, A LOT (which is saying something considering how much I disliked every other Pichu idea in this thread), if it is done intelligently of course (like you said, electricity at different times for different situations).

I find adding Pichu back into the game to be pointless and a waste of time. I don't even know why Pichu made it into Melee in the first place. (Was it really that popular back then?) I would say that Pichu is the most stupid clone that they made. (No offense to Pichu fans out there.)

I have yet to stumble upon a post where a PMBRoomer confirms that they will be adding Pichu in P:M for sure, so I'm still hoping that that is just a wild rumor, and that time would be better spent elsewhere.
And your opinion matters... why?

ds22

Smash Lord

It has been said by multiple PMBRoomers (including myself) that Pichu WILL BE ADDED in PM.
Sorry to destroy your hopes and dreams.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
In that video, it didn't look to me Mewtwo2000 was using the full PM package because he didn't have Kirby's 64 Nair. To me, it looked like he was just using the .gct which doesn't have very many if any character changes.

So, basing any judgement off that video of how MK is... impossible because it's not the actual build.
Sorry about the inconveniences in that video, since the day I made a video showing a video featuring Wario M and someone saying that he wasn't sure it was okay to show it, I've not used the full package of project M for videos anymore. The codes are on, but I don't use the SD card when getting the characters, so the fitmotions are not loading, and only the ocarina codes are on. Because of that, some characters could look weird, but I do my videos to show stages, not characters, and I didn't think about somebody wondering if those characters were like that in project M

So, sorry again ^^U

About the stage, I'm slow, because I'm doing many stages at the same time. I like doing stuff, and I can do nothing but doing many things at the same time ^^U

You know, I'm doing a Melee Mushroom Kingdom stage too, with even breakable blocks

The video is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89gnhAqsp9s

Revven

FrankerZ
It's alright Mewtwo_2000, I think it's best if you just show off your stages without Project M (including the .gct). Creates less confusion as a whole IMO.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
Ill make kc-mm have a Pichu vertex contest if I want.

I host them, they owe me a favor :p
Dantarion has too much power for anyone but Dantarion to handle.

I know you've said the stage roster is up in the air at the moment but what Melee stages will you being using for sure? YS and FoD (once finished) are a given, but are there any others the team has their hearts set on?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I hope people are hyped for a major breakthrough.
Note, it's not landing detection, so sorry to crush those dreams. Still very major.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Maybe they've discovered that Melee was actually hidden in Brawl's coding, and have found the option to just turn it on.

Seriously though, I have no idea what it could be.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm just here to generate hype.
I'll let somebody who helped make the newest breakthrough reveal it when they're ready ;)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
This is why Project Melee won't be out before the next smash game and we should all just play Melee. :cool:
Fixed.

Geno??

That sounds like something that should be saved for after the official pack.
Like a DLC pack of the custom characters like Lloyd, Shadow, Cloud, Gray Fox, etc. being Meleefied.

shanus

Smash Hero
It's hitlag L-canceling, which will improve the feel of L-canceling as a whole *substantially*

We have a working proof of concept, but is very difficult to currently get working in a global code. Likely we will need to use a combination of both a global code as well as editing every character pac for all their aerials.

Sakurai decided randomly that If Hitbox Hits will only work in GFX and SFX locations and not normal actions / main, making our lives incredibly difficult.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Wall grapple would be too big of a break through. It would literally go from non existent to something close to being finished. Though, that would be amazing if you guys did get it.

I would guess meteor canceling and such but you guys haven't said a word or worked on it for a while so I'm not gonna use that as my guess.

Seems like l-cancel in hitlag is the most possible one at the moment.

Edit: I got ninja'd. I knew Geno was gonna make it in. I so called it.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Btw I watched that "preview of things to come video and I noticed All former meteors in the vid are now spikes. Should I expect pretty much all meteors to be spikes now?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Marth can double fair, yes.

The only spikes are Marth Dair, Falcon Dair, DK Fair, and I think we might've gotten Falcon's Nipples and Ganon's Down-B to spike as well, I need to double check.

Meteors are incredibly powerful, though, because the earliest you can MC is after 25 frames rather than 8. This is something we would like to refine in the future (possibly to 15 frames), but do not currently have the means to adjust.

D

Deleted member

They haven't fixed Meteor Cancelling yet.

Its been discussed several times.

Ninja'd

Edit: DK Fair as a spike sounds pretty good. Incentive to use his Fair and Dair differently at percentages and there's risk/reward.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Melee veterans that had SH/FH techniques may not work or are difficult to pull off in P:M thanks to the different landing detection; Marth's double Fair being very frame tight and Mario's SH Bair waveland being impossible are the most notable examples along with Falco's SH laser not getting as close to the ground as desired.

Also, I totally called L-cancel during hitlag. Glad to see some progress there.
I almost want to keep a text file around for what's needed in P:M to feel just about perfect; just a decent way to track progress I suppose since character changes are constantly occurring.

So, currently what's needed is:
-Landing detection
-Full C-stick functionality like Melee's (which is a list of things in its own right)
-Specific buffers
-DI when not in tumble
-Fixed control of DI (currently counts a diagonal direction as full presses in both compass directions when it should be... half(?) of each in this case)
-Hopefully wall grapples whenever it might become feasible to code

Rikana

Smash Champion
Marth can double fair, yes.

The only spikes are Marth Dair, Falcon Dair, DK Fair, and I think we might've gotten Falcon's Nipples and Ganon's Down-B to spike as well, I need to double check.

Meteors are incredibly powerful, though, because the earliest you can MC is after 25 frames rather than 8. This is something we would like to refine in the future (possibly to 15 frames), but do not currently have the means to adjust.
Nothing big; just so it doesn't confuse others - shell meant Falco.

Edit: is Luigi's taunt a spike or meteor?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I am not sure what the teams plans are to buff Ness from his low-tier status, but I just wanted to chime in that I thought the Brawl+ down b pseudo-shine shenanigans he had were really awesome, and I think they would be a nice inclusion.

Two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom