• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Kumbaya, my Looooord

KUUMBAYAAAAAA

Forealsies. I think Kirby's N64 FAir with some altered stats will help him more than his Melee one with buffs. I remember the BR testing it a while back but I think they took it out.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I vote for drinking food to eliminate passive-aggressiveness from this thread now. We need more people calling each other stupid ****s or something.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wow, Kirby N64 F-Air sounds exciting, mostly because it's something the series hasn't really seen since N64.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
blu link, Pikachu's F-Air didn't/doesn't drag people with you, though. Still, it is pretty similar in some ways, I agree.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I suppose so, but it kept people in longer, and you couldn't L-Cancel Sonic F-Air in Brawl. Shield pressure and combo potential would be in full force this way.
I don't think shield pressure would be as good because N64 l-canceling got rid of all landing lag as opposed to cutting it in half like melee/P:M.

Someone might complain that it's too similar in animation to Jigglypuff's FAir though. Even though they're both puffballs that have short arms and big feet.

Life

Smash Hero
The criteria on what group belongs where is up to the TO, much like how stage lists for smash in general is up to the TO. It's just as complicated on trying to figure out whether a stage is starter/cp worthy or banned/cp worthy when said stage is pretty much borderline, ya know?

on top of that group criteria should be relatively simple to be more encompassing and cultivate stage diversity within the groups to help further prevent ban invalidation.

2-3 stage bans just complicates things more than it should, especially when there aren't enough bans to cover enough of stages to prevent the problem of ban invalidation.

With group banning, you're essentially banning by traits determined by the region/TO.

It's also far more simple than multiple bans, at least i think so.
First: thanks for being mature on the internet. :D

Second: the stagelist being arbitrary TO decisions has always been the case. The problem would come from when tournament A groups together A-E, F-J, and K-O while tournament B groups ACDEF-GHKMN-BIJLO and tournament C groups AEFJO-BCGHN-the rest and tournament D groups ABC-EFG-HIK-LNO-DJM and oh no I've gone cross-eyed. FC had a nice solution--keeping them in rows on the stage select screen--but can every TO do that? Moreover, can you expect the community that apparently can't learn how Randall works to keep track of all of it?

I mean, I'm all for regional ruleset differences (a truly good smasher should be able to win in any ruleset), but I could see problems.

Third: I wouldn't be worried about ban invalidation nearly as much as I'd be worried about CP invalidation. Remember that I come from a Brawl background (you probably know this, but in case anyone here didn't realize that by now); in that game, most places run 10-13 stages AFAIK, with one ban, and other than the thing with MK on Brinstar and RC (which I'm going to use in an example in a minute here) nobody really had a problem with it. Counterpicking is a part of the game; why include it if you're going to neuter it by banning half the stagelist (either by banning the stages outright or providing so many stage bans that they don't matter)?

Upon thinking about it, I'd like to propose a compromise:

1. Wait for the metagame to develop for a while, or maybe for the full release, IDK.
2. Keep track of what stages are used for what.
3. If a few stages cause the same problem (eg. MK being very good on both RC and Brinstar in vbrawl) group them.
4. Allow the option of banning a group together, or any individual stage.

So if (semi-arbitrary example) Metal Cavern, Randall, and GHZ all turn out to make Ike really OP together, you could group them and give the option of banning the group instead of banning any one stage.

You should not, however, attempt to group everything, because not everything needs grouped.

In other words, at tournament L, your groups are:
ABC-D-E-F-G-etc. and you ban two.

Sound good?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I vote for drinking food to eliminate passive-aggressiveness from this thread now. We need more people calling each other stupid ****s or something.
So you'd rather we just flat out argue? Works for me.
Don't think there's anything I can do here though. I don't know the origin of the FC stagelist.
But I will be the villain Gotham this thread needs.
JC, nobody cares about your dumb as **** stagelist so why would you even argue where it came from. It just assumes to much on the part of the players when banning, and you think you know everything they're going to ban? Try again. You're not that good. Also ROB is **** and you're a bad dev.
And GHNeko, your inabilities to hold large scale tournaments are you own ****ing fault so stop whining about it and pretending that's the only thing that stops you from "owning" the group system. Like why would you even want to. It sucks balls. To know that you even helped create it lowers my opinion of you.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Don't think there's anything I can do here though. I don't know the origin of the FC stagelist.
JC, nobody cares about your dumb as **** stagelist so why would you even argue where it came from. It just assumes to much on the part of the players when banning, and you think you know everything they're going to ban? Try again. You're not that good. Also ROB is **** and you're a bad dev.
And GHNeko, your inabilities to hold large scale tournaments are you own ****ing fault so stop whining about it and pretending that's the only thing that stops you from "owning" the group system. Like why would you even want to. It sucks balls. To know that you even helped create it lowers my opinion of you.
drinkin a little too much of sumthin

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He's drinking food

Bad things are bound to happen

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
10/10

Kappa.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Btw

Pirate Ship / Ship of Fools.....

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

(Quick someone help me change the subject!)
I asked KishPrime if they added Pirate Ship to the FC stagelist because it's sort of a stage for the Ship of Fools because it's a ship stage. He said it wasn't because it's a ship stage for the Ship of Fools lol. IIRC he sarcastically said it was a legitimate CP and should be used at all PM tournaments.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm a Marth main.

This thread kind of sucks right now, I'll be back when people can talk about something besides nerfing and buffing.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
First: thanks for being mature on the internet. :D

:V

Second: the stagelist being arbitrary TO decisions has always been the case. The problem would come from when tournament A groups together A-E, F-J, and K-O while tournament B groups ACDEF-GHKMN-BIJLO and tournament C groups AEFJO-BCGHN-the rest and tournament D groups ABC-EFG-HIK-LNO-DJM and oh no I've gone cross-eyed. FC had a nice solution--keeping them in rows on the stage select screen--but can every TO do that? Moreover, can you expect the community that apparently can't learn how Randall works to keep track of all of it?

Are you talking about the visual layout? I think that's a minor issue. The SSS can be rearranged and the TO can let players know a head of time so they can prepare themselves, or provide them with the right files needed. :V

Granted, if you want the convenience of a visual representation of groups.

I mean, I'm all for regional ruleset differences (a truly good smasher should be able to win in any ruleset), but I could see problems.

Third: I wouldn't be worried about ban invalidation nearly as much as I'd be worried about CP invalidation. Remember that I come from a Brawl background (you probably know this, but in case anyone here didn't realize that by now); in that game, most places run 10-13 stages AFAIK, with one ban, and other than the thing with MK on Brinstar and RC (which I'm going to use in an example in a minute here) nobody really had a problem with it. Counterpicking is a part of the game; why include it if you're going to neuter it by banning half the stagelist (either by banning the stages outright or providing so many stage bans that they don't matter)?

Ban/CP invalidation is an issue because it causes the community to shrink the stagelists in order to help curb it. If you can't stop ban/CP invalidation then the CP system that we use becomes skewed in a poor way. What would be the point of banning a particular stage with certain traits if there is another stage with 90% of the same traits? It's not an issue of trying to remove CPing, but preserve how CPing works by removing things that would **** with CPing but keeping a large stage list.

Upon thinking about it, I'd like to propose a compromise:

1. Wait for the metagame to develop for a while, or maybe for the full release, IDK.
2. Keep track of what stages are used for what.
3. If a few stages cause the same problem (eg. MK being very good on both RC and Brinstar in vbrawl) group them.
4. Allow the option of banning a group together, or any individual stage.

So if (semi-arbitrary example) Metal Cavern, Randall, and GHZ all turn out to make Ike really OP together, you could group them and give the option of banning the group instead of banning any one stage.

This is legitimate way to organize stages by traits/ccategory, but we dont have to wait until then just to enact methods of using group banning.

You should not, however, attempt to group everything, because not everything needs grouped.

In other words, at tournament L, your groups are:
ABC-D-E-F-G-etc. and you ban two.

If that's how a TO wants to do it, then they can do it, but it complicates the whole process.

Sound good?
i'd also like to say that JCz method of banning stages is not the same as mine, and I believe mine is more efficient in the long run of CPing.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
M2K lost that game

JIGGLYPUFFFFFFF

I like Marth vs a lot of the new characters. I'd play him more but it's SO HARD getting rid of the urge to Fair all the time and to space/dash dance more. He gets a lot better if you play him patiently enough but you just wanna go in a lot with him. I'm def using him vs Lucario though that MU has gotta be frustrating for Lucario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom