• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
What's wrong with group banning? It allows you to legalize many stages without dealing with the biggest issue of legalizing many stages, ban invalidation. :V
This argument is probably over with by the time I posted this, but the nice thing about having many bans would be that you still could ban what stages you didn't like (let's say I hate BF platform layouts for example) but wouldn't be limited to a certain group that was predetermined by TOs. That being said though if a stage grouping could be agreed upon by a majority that would be my preference. It not only seems more elegant but also takes less time since you don't have to think quite as much.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Neko, what was your issue with having multiple bans?
Complicates the CPing more than necessary. Multiple stage bans also means arbitrary numbers for every tourney and/or region, as opposed to the 1:1 strike system that we all use. Also if the number set for multiple stage bans isnt enough to strike all stages that have a trait the banner doesnt want, then his bans become invalidated since there would be left over stages that he didnt have enough bans for, which is a big issue with CPing.

And while with group banning, having undesirable stages being unable to be banned due to them being in different groups can arise, it'd be much less of an issue then, than with group banning.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
This argument is probably over with by the time I posted this, but the nice thing about having many bans would be that you still could ban what stages you didn't like (let's say I hate BF platform layouts for example) but wouldn't be limited to a certain group that was predetermined by TOs. That being said though if a stage grouping could be agreed upon by a majority that would be my preference. It not only seems more elegant but also takes less time since you don't have to think quite as much.
Well, one way to look at it, is with group banning, you're banning multiple stages at once based of traits and attributes, which is a pro of multi-bans, except that here is far more straightforward, clear, time preserving, and just clean in general. On top of that, based on the groups, group banning can easily become a case of trade offs as opposed to just improving your chances point-blank because a group could have stages that are both good and bad for you/them and just happen to be in the same group due to x trait being the theme of that group, adding a layer of strategy and dare I say, more depth to the CP system we know, without having to deviate from the 1:1 ban:chose CP system that's in place now.

It's all up to the TO of course on how this all works out, but to me, it just screams superior efficiency in terms of banning and stage usage.

Kappa.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So do you guys think it would be better if the pmbr just replaced olimar with roy? I know they said they weren't going to add anyone until the clone engine (and that was still a maybe), but due to the difficulty in the ability to design olimar, it seems like their time could be better spent on a character that is easier to design. Also, the reason I say roy is because the other 2 fallen melee vets were pokemon, and there are already 6 of them lol. I dunno, its just something to think about.

Counterpicks against Mario....
Discuss.

:phone:
Marth lol, that matchup is awful, mario has absolutely no means of approach against him, but if he actually manages to get in, he does mario things lol.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'm not even sure if Link cp's jigglypuff, but it feels a hell of a lot more doable then Lucario.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
i'd also like to say that JCz method of banning stages is not the same as mine
What are the differences between the two? I recall you mentioning it a handful of times back when you streamed regularly, but it's been months since that happened, and so I'm kinda at a loss as to what the specifics were.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Damn... all these characters being mentioned and I feel like they wouldn't even be an issue for me to fight against AS Mario. :/

Any other characters?

:phone:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Lol you're funny, but I don't think he has a problem against toon link, because of TL's range outside of projectiles isn't great. The characters that mario struggles with is anyone that can out range him, he is still a really solid character though.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
So do you guys think it would be better if the pmbr just replaced olimar with roy? I know they said they weren't going to add anyone until the clone engine (and that was still a maybe), but due to the difficulty in the ability to design olimar, it seems like their time could be better spent on a character that is easier to design. Also, the reason I say roy is because the other 2 fallen melee vets were pokemon, and there are already 6 of them lol. I dunno, its just something to think about.

Marth lol, that matchup is awful, mario has absolutely no means of approach against him, but if he actually manages to get in, he does mario things lol.
Every time I look at your avatar I look back at mine and think that I actually blew it....

Also, Roy is our boy.

Life

Smash Hero
Agh, you did that annoying thing where you reply in the quote and the coding on this site doesn't let you quote quotes...

Anyway:

1: Not talking about the aesthetics (except to concede that FC used them to help simplify things) so much as I'm talking about it getting confusing when every tournament has a different set of groups. Admittedly, it's a minor thing, but it's there.

2: If counterpick stages have 90% of the same traits, that's less a ruleset problem and more a problem with the part of the PMBR that designs stages. The beauty of playing a hacked game, eh? But seriously, we have a lot of Battlefield clones (BF, Randall, DL64, FoD, to a lesser extent Skyworld) or generally similar static or near-static flat-plat stages (PS1, PS2, Warioware, FD, Metal Cavern, and to a lesser extent GHZ, Drax, and SV).

We could conceivably fix this with the group ban system, but why not just use more varied stages?

In particular, move frozen PS2 over Flat Zone instead of over regular PS2 (which deserves a chance IMO), maybe give it a new texture and call it PS0 or something. Start using stages like PTAD, Delfino, and Norfair (nerf the hazards if you have to). Take Pipes' left half and reflect it so the walkoff is gone, maybe expand its blast zones a bit and get rid of the cave of life, and it's legit. Bring back Distant Planet, maybe giving it a similar treatment to Pipes (even if you just use the center platforms, the fact that they get lower when you land on them is very unique). Get rid of the bottom Spear Pillar platform, maybe change the way the background pokemon work, and it's another good stage.

Just some ideas, off the top of my head. Maybe they'll work, maybe they'll need tweaking. Point is, we have it in our power to make stages that aren't "90% the same".

Or do I have you backwards? It's hard to tell what you're talking about when you say "ban/CP invalidation" since ban invalidation and CP invalidation are opposed concepts. There's not really a difference between the community not using stages because they're scrubs, and having a lot of stages go unused because of the ruleset.

Basically, the way I see it, Smash has three unique things going for it, one of which is the stages (the other two are percents and DI which aren't relevant to this discussion). If stages are so similar that you have to ban several at once to make stage bans meaningful, I feel like we've lost something special. You follow?

We've never had a prominent Smash hack before. 64, Melee, and Brawl did not have developer support for competition or the ability to fix problems as they arose (merely compensate with rules). PM is a changeable game, so why not tinker around rather than try to cover a problem with more rules?

3: I preface basically all ruleset suggestions with "wait for the metagame to develop" when it comes to new or still-updating games like PM. Don't take it as anything overly significant.

4: Admittedly, it's slightly more complicated than simply having no groups, but more groups is more complicated.

And in reply to your replies to others, I don't see how "when you win, ban X number of stages" is more complicated than "you can ban these stages, these stages, these stages, or these stages", nor how regional differences in the groups is a good thing but regional differences in the number of bans is a bad thing.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
we should just focus on beating ike for now
Play a character with a projectile and run under him with an attack when he jumps.

Or play a character with a dash dance and easy modo bait that ****.

Or just play better. Every person that has commented on them beating Ike has said the same thing; it requires matchup knowledge and exploiting his design flaws, just like beating any bad character. Any character can look good if no one knows the matchup.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Beating good characters also requires MU knowledge and their flaws. You said that like Ike is bad, lool

leelue

Smash Lord
I think it is a very interesting issue, but I just can't imagine that taking away from player choice is good unless you are more concerned with time or players being able to take out all relevant options. It seems like a viable shortcut, but still a shortcut.

Edit omg sooo late

leelue

Smash Lord
Nah it was about it. But for now I think both sides made their cases. It's not like we need to reach a definitive answer now. In the meantime, those crazy groupers can keep doing it until they figure out how crazy they are :smug:

Btw from where does ike's seemingly random armor in Aether come from? It's just stuck in there. Messing up my springs

cannedbread

Smash Lord
it's inconsistent. sometimes he's ikes up them springs and sometimes he ****s up a bit and comes back with 1 less stock. we all make mistakes, even ike.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ike's Aether has knockback armor, meaning that it will resist attacks that do not surpass a certain knockback threshold. However, knockback increases with damage. Sheik's FAir, for example, has a low base knockback but a high knockback growth. At low %s it won't hit through Aether's armor, but it hits through at higher %s. Fox's shine, however, has no knockback growth (regardless of %) and has a low base knockback; it never hits through Aether's armor.

With the spring example, I'm guessing that the base knockback at 0% isn't high enough to hit through Aether's armor, but it can hit through at higher %s .

By the way, I wouldn't have known this without reading DrinkingFood and Magus' posts (#s 36-43).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom