• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
@DarkSonic: I'm sure if Shanus finds a way to enhance the edge occupancy game he will. As he said he'd look to find some form of medium.

As for your Peach example... Peach is a *****. She is difficult for a good majority of the cast to edgeguard. Take Falco for example... He falls too fast to really pressure her much off stage, when she goes for the ledge, not only is it extremely difficult to time a ledgegrab against her (because she can float and wait til you're vulnerable before she uses her up+b). And.. As you said even if you time it correctly she often still manages to get onto the ledge because her multihits knock you off. I play against her all the time-- she's my friend's main.

Just thought I'd add my two cents with edgeguarding Peach. She's a bully.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
And he couldn't do that before? :confused:
Yes, he could, but I think it requires even far less timing now since his jumps have nearly no height. He can literally hover there parallel to an edge rapidly jumping and just lean into the ledge when deemed appropriate.

Oh wait, i ****** up. I think I meant edgehog, not gimp. lol

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
Yes, he could, but I think it requires even far less timing now since his jumps have nearly no height. He can literally hover there parallel to an edge rapidly jumping and just lean into the ledge when deemed appropriate.

Oh wait, i ****** up. I think I meant edgehog, not gimp. lol
Lol, with people WDing off the edge, it doesn't make that much of a difference, especially when MK can just actually go off-stage, murder you, then come back. Stuff like this isn't really a problem. Peach can do the same maneuver but better with her float, its more of an extra tool than anything game-breaking.

From what I understand Indi Pokes do NOT have down b's, thats a pokemon trainer move, so I don't think they will, but who knows. BTW I knew Lucas B was channging, but i did not know his side B was, enlighten me with details
From what I saw in a stream a few days ago, Lucas's FK fire was a frost version with a different angle, could've just been a texture though, but I don't think it was.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Lucas Side B is merely a change of graphics / SFX, and the element is changed to none from fire. This has a tiny impact on his matchups against PKMN due to elemental weakness, but really it's just for snazzy polish.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
Nah Lucas is just Ness from 64 gone super sayjin lol j/k but ya Ness should have something to counter him against lucas in a fight or something of equivalent terms.

I actually was just playing Melee (GC) and was wondering two things. 1. For peach is her double jump going to go higher than what its perviously at? No offense but the one in brawl is pretty bad I would love it if peach could get her melee double jump higher vertical I think it is Im not too smart with math/graph terminology. lol been outa school for way too long ><. 2. Is Ground Canceling going to be in this version or is it not able to be messed with due to brawls base hard coding? Just wondering.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Um... they're not striving for "perfect balance" (which is actually not very achievable at all) just SOME balance.
uh....what you talkin bout falco? I said that Perfect balance would be impossible in my post. To get anything close would take YEARS.....at least that is what I meant to say. adding Some balance. basically what I meant when I said Do what you can. It seems like we are on the same page.......from where I'm sitting anyways:confused:

I do have something to say about Marth though. He seems pretty good. Some things slightly off with his CG's but mostly looks exceptionally well....but seeing as how I play marth at least 1-2 hours daily. I can't help but notice how ******** he looks. I watched the footage back and It's not the animations. The animations are different but I actually like them tbh. The thing that makes him look like a ****** is his short sword:chuckle:. Is there a way to make it the same length as it was in melee. *wipes sweat from forehead* What I was originally going to say sounded very gay.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It'd be an extremely simple vertex hack. However, if you wanted to use textures/vertex hacks, you would have to import the modified sword model every time which would be rather bothersome. Isn't there a method in the fighter.pac or even in just PSA that you could mess with that model?

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i'm assuming they're leaving it as it is in Brawl+......although personally i would like to see a set number

I R MarF

Smash Ace
i'm assuming they're leaving it as it is in Brawl+......although personally i would like to see a set number
I kind of see your preference... but being able to pick your buffer is a good thing. It gives players more to expiriment with, and the higher it is the more easily you can perform certain techniques (A lot more players will be WDing with buffer options)

However, its a double edged sword, more buffer=more delay, more delay=less character control. Thats why most people don't tread past 30-40% if they use buffer

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There's no reason to take out the buffer option. If tourneys want to run with a set buffer, that's their choice and having a buffer option does not impede that.

shanus

Smash Hero
sonic just got the craziest most awesome buff in history.

It also makes homing attack good.

DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I kind of see your preference... but being able to pick your buffer is a good thing. It gives players more to expiriment with, and the higher it is the more easily you can perform certain techniques (A lot more players will be WDing with buffer options)

However, its a double edged sword, more buffer=more delay, more delay=less character control. Thats why most people don't tread past 30-40% if they use buffer
I'll tell you from experience that the whole buffer making things easier was NOT the case at least with high tech skill level chars like spacies. The only thing I think it would help or make easier is putting out more than one aerial such as marths double fair or YTLs double bair etc

I R MarF

Smash Ace
I'll tell you from experience that the whole buffer making things easier was NOT the case at least with high tech skill level chars like spacies. The only thing I think it would help or make easier is putting out more than one aerial such as marths double fair or YTLs double bair etc
Really? At the very least I'd think it would have made short hops even easier to do.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I find the idea of the buffer staying kinda stupid. It is just there to make things easier. Isnt the goal to emulate melee as much as possible? Including the technicality.Setting it to always 0 buffer is better imo...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^That actually isn't affected by buffer, since shorthopping is only letting go of the jump button before the last frame of your character's jump. Though technically you could've buffered the jump after another action which would lead to shorthopping, but it's not a big deal.

What's more concerning is buffering things that are more about timing than execution speed, like Jigglypuff buffering in frame perfect upthrow rests (which when done right continues to combo to until 105% on Fox! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsMcfsKeyA), or Fox buffering a shine after a spotdodge.

Still not THAT big a deal though.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
^^That actually isn't affected by buffer, since shorthopping is only letting go of the jump button before the last frame of your character's jump. Though technically you could've buffered the jump after another action which would lead to shorthopping, but it's not a big deal.

What's more concerning is buffering things that are more about timing than execution speed, like Jigglypuff buffering in frame perfect upthrow rests (which when done right continues to combo to until 105% on Fox! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsMcfsKeyA), or Fox buffering a shine after a spotdodge.

Still not THAT big a deal though.
Buffering a shine is about the only helpful thing I can see for spacies... but 4 me it did A LOT more harm than good. But maybe its just me. I just know that trying to shine out of my dash or doing other things that involved shining and techskill often led me to side-b off the stage. But when I set it to 0 I played perfectly.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
to be quite honest I believe that the buffer thing is gonna be good due to it will help out alot of characters. Another thing I noticed is that having the option to change your jump button is gonna make WDing alot easier for people. Which imo is gonna be awesome because there should be what is it called No Johns for not being able to WD in this game.

Revven

FrankerZ
Someone should just go back to the pages where the buffer debate had already taken place and link to it every time someone asks about it, hell, do that with EVERYTHING PLEASE.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I say that TO's should just be free to decide if they want to cap buffer or not, or even not allow it at all.
For the sake of learning the game it is so helpful so definitely don't take it out. It lets you practice some of the frame perfect things in the game and ease your way into doing it with no buffer. I learned to play Marth at zero buffer from starting off at 3 and moving my way down when I felt comfortable enough with him at the new setting. When it comes to just learning things it is really nice.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i understand why some people prefer optional buffer, because it can help characters and make some things easier

but i think it kills the fun of the learning curve.....it's fun having to practice with your character to get a timing down, i believe that's one of the reasons Melee is still played till this day, because people are STILL trying to perfect fox's timings. in Brawl you can just pick up any character and do good

i miss having to work to be able to play a character

EDIT: i believe i have a strong point here.....i reconsider you guys give it some thought before shutting me down

I R MarF

Smash Ace
i understand why some people prefer optional buffer, because it can help characters and make some things easier

but i think it kills the fun of the learning curve.....it's fun having to practice with your character to get a timing down, i believe that's one of the reasons Melee is still played till this day, because people are STILL trying to perfect fox's timings. in Brawl you can just pick up any character and do good

EDIT: i believe i have a strong point here.....i reconsider you guys give it some thought before shutting me down
I don't think it will kill the fun of the learning curve, its just changing the pace of it. Players who use buffer will typically want to work down to 0, because 0 buffer gives you the most control of your character.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
As long as TOs can mandate what the buffer is ahead of time, I don't see why the option to use it should be taken out. It has practical purposes as far as training goes which makes it no different than leaving in training mode's reduced speed options.

If anything what should be sought after is the option to turn off buffer select by the handicap option and force it to default to 0 rather than 10. After all, PM is all about having options and taking them away for fluff reasons seems silly.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul

That's a gross exaggeration. You can't pick up any character and be good. Some like Metaknight are possible, but you still get beaten by decent people unless you yourself are already a smart player.

chaoticyeshua

Smash Cadet
Totally off topic, but does anyone happen to have the BRSTM for the new Fox vs. Falcon video? The Battle with Magus? The one on the Brawl Custom Music Hub thread isn't the same one -_-

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman

No, it will not kill the fun of the learning curve. At all. Literally. Just don't use buffer if you want to experience those aspects more. Buffer is optional.

I really say we just dropped the recycled buffer debate.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
notice i'm never the one to bring up these "re-cycled" issues, but everytime someone does, i'm going to state my opinion

not saying anything would just build up some sort of guilt inside me at the end of the project .....so sorry for speaking my mind

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
notice i'm never the one to bring up these "re-cycled" issues, but everytime someone does, i'm going to state my opinion

not saying anything would just build up some kind of guilt inside me at the end of the project .....so sorry for speaking my mind
Oh no no no. Sorry if I sounded like I was accusing you of anything at all. I simply stated my opinion in response, then opted to try to drop the debate, though the latter was completely unrelated to your post.

I'm not saying you brought up this debate again, nor am I trying to express any distaste towards your opinion.

Just thought I'd clear that up. My apologies for the confusion.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
@Kaizo, trust me when I say this game is the real deal as far as technical skill is concerned. Buffer really doesn't bare much weight in this. You really have to practice your character if you want to master him in P:M. Obviously some are easier than others, depending on the technicality of the character, of course. However, characters like Fox and Falco take tons of practice... No really. And buffer doesn't help AT ALL for them. Trust me. I'm still learning Falco in P:M... I've got lots to master... And have been using 0 buffer for a while now as anything higher wasn't really helping.

Oh yeah... sonic is beast. My god what a cool buff!

kaizo13

Smash Champion
@Orca, i'll take ya word for it

and if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your job as "P:M Graphic Designer"?
if you have anything to do with GFXs for P:M, what is going to be done about Brawls' ugly GFXs? (fox/falco shine etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom