• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Premium Membership

Would you purchase Premium Membership?

• Yes

Votes: 189 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 86 29.2%
  • I would only want to purchase a name change for $2.50

Votes: 20 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
Not to be a sarcastic *******, but to make people pay for this stuff is ridiculous. Besides, Gideon only made premium memberships to fund the site right? Does MLG actually need the extra couple hundred dollars to run this site?
You might have missed it if you didn't read the end, but all (all) of the money will go towards setting up a program where tournament directors can apply for and recieve small "tournament grants" to add to their prize pots or to help pay for the venue. For example, if we raise $1000 through premium memberships for the first 6 months, we might give that back by putting $100 dollars towards the pot at 10 tournaments. There's pretty much no overhead, so the money won't go towards server costs or MLG.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
i would definitely buy a premium membership!
will it come with the same mushroom icon as before?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I would get the premium membership if my parents let me...darn me not having my own income:(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh I get what you're saying Alex.

Well I don't know what to say other than "you'll get no sympathy from me." :/

I didn't catch on fast enough (go ahead say it, I was too slow.) to tell you on the Xat (too slow there too. XD), but I now c wat u did thar.

I still stand by my point that there is nothign wrong with reputation though. :)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I'd probably get it. Do you get to keep your custom title/color/whatever if you buy a subscription for one month, and then stop buying it afterward?

And also, I'm kind of against the idea of changing other people's avatars/colors/whatever without their permission. I think you get into a whole mess of trouble there. Maybe on April Fool's Day you could do that sort of thing, but otherwise, I'm not so sure.

Also: I think it'd be cool if Premium Members got unique colors/titles on holidays. Like let's say on Christmas every premium member gets either red or green (or both if you could do it) and change their title to something Christmas-y. I think it'd be a cool idea.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Well I wouldn't mind if someone changed the color of my name so maybe that could be all. But changing other peoples names and avis is to much really (it would be really cool but that would me to much).

D

Deleted member

I have a suggestion! If we became premmies we should be able to post attachments.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Does it take up that much time for the system?? And it'd be 1000 for 20 people...
I'm pretty sure it would be putting in a request to the Admins and only Premium Members can actually get the name change, so it's not just a system change, people have to physically go in and change it.

Shoot. I was planning on changing their colors to a really gross brown color.
Nah, that's already taken by Pokemon Researchers anyways. >_>

Not to be a sarcastic *******, but to make people pay for this stuff is ridiculous. Besides, Gideon only made premium memberships to fund the site right? Does MLG actually need the extra couple hundred dollars to run this site?
It's not MAKING you pay for it, it's allowing you to have it if you pay. It's sort of an incentive to donate. It's not saying "Hey, have new powers on a forum! Only $10!" It's saying, "Hey, throw us some cash to support SWF tournies, and as a bonus, you'll get *things*!"

You're not likely to rack up too many donations if you just say "Hey donate."

And as many people have said, it's to donate for tournies, not supporting the site.

Premium membership is an obvious scam. You might as well buy stuff you see in pop-up ads and infomercials on TV.
What do you mean it's a SCAM? If you don't think the rewards are worthwhile don't buy it, sheesh.

This whole thread is to see if there's enough interest to warrant implementing it again. If there is, then a lot of the community would have to be pretty stupid to fall for something supposedly as stupid as pop-ups and infomercials.

99.6% of people are stupid but I don't think this entire site is stupid enough to fall for an infomercial. I think you're just being a little too skeptical and over-analytical about this.

Also, I hope we will have an option to disable our own reputation if you think it is stupid.
That would defeat the purpose though, wouldn't it? Then you just disable your rep, do stupid things, and circumvent the system.

And also, I'm kind of against the idea of changing other people's avatars/colors/whatever without their permission. I think you get into a whole mess of trouble there. Maybe on April Fool's Day you could do that sort of thing, but otherwise, I'm not so sure.
I think it's just going to be color. I read it as more of a gift to your friends than a "Hahaha, I confuse you."

Even if someone swapped it on me as a joke I'd have a (I'd assume) cool color, so I wouldn't complain.

Personally, I'd be interested in Premium Membership. For one thing, I'm sure the Admins would appreciate it because I know you guys probably get about 10 name change requests a day, if not more, as well as title change requests, etc.

Back when I first joined and it was still available I thought about purchasing it as I used (and still do) SmashBoards a fair amount and it's only fair to toss a couple of bucks to help support it. Even though I wouldn't directly support SmashBoards if it were reinstated, I would be supporting the community and I think that's a worthy cause.

The extra bonuses would be pretty cool too.

How exactly would the Reputation system return just for Premium Members, though? Would that mean that A) Only Premium Members have Reputation, B) Only Premium Members can raise/lower Reputation, or C) Both?

I think the rules are pretty fair though, in fact, I think 3 name changes a month is pretty darn generous, especially if the Admins have to do it themselves. Who needs to change their name more than once a month anyways? That would just confuse me. If I got a name change I might just add spaces (I thought the character limit was larger when I made my account, and wasn't aware that spaces were allowed either), I like my name other than the fact that people frequently misinterpret that it's "Firus" -- I've gotten everything from "Firust" to "Frutis". I might not even do that much of a change, though.

I can understand one name change for sure. Just not sure why there's reason to complain because you can only change your name 3 times in thirty days.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly another theme if you guys would have the time/ability to make another one. I like Classic Blue, but even so it'd be nice to have another one to mix it up with every so often.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I'm up for this simply and maybe only because it will benefit the smash community by adding more money to pots.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
That's pretty much my reason too.

I would fully support a premium membership.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Would I be out of line making a thread to direct people here from General Brawl Discussion?
But also, with reputation I understand there is some stigma behind it, so if I could reccomend a counter-measure to the obvious abuse it could see.

Make it so users can only give positive Rep.

You can't really abuse it then, at least, negatively speaking.

The only people who should be allowed to reduce rep would be Moderators/Admins.
This would result from handing out infractions, or, if a moderator perceives a post worthy of negative rep.

EDIT: That being said, it might be more trouble than what it's worth. I can see the original reasoning being that members who bother to pay the $10 generally aren't going to abuse the system.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Can someone explain the rep system to me? Is it like handing out points when you read comments you like?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Kind of, yeah. You could give positive or negative and leave a little comment. The ammount you could give also related to your own rep as well, so if you've only got a rep of 5, you might only be able to raise/lower by 1 point, but if you have a rep of 100 you might be able to do so by 20. Those aren't real numbers, just an example.

Vyse, go ahead with the thread man.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
This sounds like an awesome idea, why not?

I mean, Premium Member UNAVAILABLE.

And if it finances official Smash Tournaments and stuff it's doing everybody some good. Yeah I'd get one.

M.K

Level 55
I think this is a great idea! I'm in full support of the move.

However, I'd REALLY like to see these "SWF-run Tournaments" in ALL regions and not just particularly in one region that might be particularly active in Brawl.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
****it I forgot to add that, too.

Yes, the mushroom icon will be back.

and vyse, we planned on polling GBD seperately if there was a warm enough response here ><

The reputation system would only be for Premium Members, meaning that they can rep other Premium Members but that's it.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Don't forget melee discussion! :D

We can only pay through paypal? I have a paypal account but its linked to my dads debit card. I should probably spend my own money on this XD

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
The whole time I was speaking to JV about this we never really mentioned anything other than Paypal.

I'll ask him but for now just assume it's still gonna be via Paypal.

Edit: He said it's possible that it could go through the mlgpro store.

and if there's any other services you guys have in mind, it's okay to suggest them.

just keep in mind that we can't do money orders and whatnot. it basically has to be online.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Well I know when you buy other subscription services you can do it through like a Visa/Mastercard. I don't know how any of that works though. But that would probably be easier for a lot of people.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
and if there's any other services you guys have in mind, it's okay to suggest them.

just keep in mind that we can't do money orders and whatnot. it basically has to be online.
Moneybookers Moneybookers Moneybookers Moneybookers, by God make it Moneybookers compatible.

It's like PayPal, just much better.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
A better question would be:

If members purchase a certain level of Premium, (As there was more than one in the past) are those members allowed to keep their ability to change their custom titles? Or will it all be done through the ACP?

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I think we could add a "custom title" feature for $2 probably.

As for unlimited custom titles, I'm not particularly against it because we can just remove premium from the user if they repeatedly make inappropriate ones. I'll still have to talk to JV about it, though.

Edit:

Spadefox, I haven't spoken to JV again since my last post. He's away right now.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Premium Memberships and the Cyborg.

When I was a premium member, there was a viewing style called Cyborg that was really nice to look at. I asked about it on the Q&A thread, and Kirby King and Mic said they'd look into it, but I haven't heard anything since then. Maybe the Cyborg style could be brought back as a bonus for Premium Members.

I'd suggest:
Custom Titles
Name Change
Cyborg Style

I don't think I like the idea of:
Embedding Videos
Animated Avatars
Custom Username Colors
Reputation System

While I like the idea of name changes (though three a month seems kind of excessive), exclusive viewing styles and custom titles, I think that embedding videos, animated avatars and custom colors is too gimmicky, that it might make the boards look tacky and cheap.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that the Reputation system doesn't come back; I can't shake the feeling that it would open the door to let newer members create topics like "PLUS+ Rep mE an ILL Rep U Bak!!1"

Overall, I think Premium memberships are a good idea to bring back, especially if they'd help the community. I just hope that it'd be done in a way to keep the boards classy and clean.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I don't really see much of a point in implementing the rep system if only premium members can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom