• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Warhawk

Smash Lord
If you have the space to pull it out early can't weak nair essentially take the place of your fair for combo purposes? I think weak nair actually hits lighter too and has less landing lag, the only issue is you have to have space between you and your opponent to use it early so that you don't use the strong nair hitbox... Or maybe I'm just really against the fair lol.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
If you have the space to pull it out early can't weak nair essentially take the place of your fair for combo purposes? I think weak nair actually hits lighter too and has less landing lag, the only issue is you have to have space between you and your opponent to use it early so that you don't use the strong nair hitbox... Or maybe I'm just really against the fair lol.
Well Fair is a bit stronger which can be better at times and it can come out faster so it can be harder to DI against since you'd have to predict it(though the spacing is kinda obvious sometimes). Weak Nair is much better at higher percents regardless of DI for a while imo. Still playin around with both haha.

giovannig22311

Smash Journeyman
That works until people start countering your dair/nair shines, in which case you start mixing in double shines and early retreating nairs.

Basically you want to mix up your things you do on their shield because they can counter any type of pressure you do but they can't counter them all at one time(they have to guess).
okay thanks oh yea n also wen there low percent and i dair them and shine they seem to di away from me? do i chase them with a waveshine? lik wavedash to shine? ?beacuse wen i do that they seem to get away but how do i chase them down falco seems to slow wen i run to chase them?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

you guys probably have the right idea @ falco because i basically never use fair. i only use safe moves, but it leads to a lot of stale play and some lack of innovation. i usually ty to use better movement/lasers/grabs to cover any actual holes i have, and i try to play a trapper style over a combo style to minimize DI problems.

honestly though i just don't like that move.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Fair also hits higher than nair, which automatically makes it more useful in specific (combo) situations.

Another good point.

okay thanks oh yea n also wen there low percent and i dair them and shine they seem to di away from me? do i chase them with a waveshine? lik wavedash to shine? ?beacuse wen i do that they seem to get away but how do i chase them down falco seems to slow wen i run to chase them?

Well if they're a fast faller(spacies, falcon mostly) you can waveshine(shine then wavedash after you hit them) to combo, but otherwise you'll have to double jump out of your shine to Dair and continue comboing.

you guys probably have the right idea @ falco because i basically never use fair. i only use safe moves, but it leads to a lot of stale play and some lack of innovation. i usually ty to use better movement/lasers/grabs to cover any actual holes i have, and i try to play a trapper style over a combo style to minimize DI problems.

honestly though i just don't like that move.
"Safe?" I think Fair is perfectly "safe" in combo situations and semi-combo situations lol. As an approach move it's kinda meh though but I've found it useful there once in a while too lol.

Combos are always better to use(or basically combos) than trapping someone because they are more guaranteed. Unless you mean basically combos as trapping someone but I'd rather not emphasize that with Falco because he doesn't necessarily have to(much unlike Marth or Fox even for example).

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Lolz @ Mow being outdated as Hell.

Diagonal hitbox on the Fair has a slew of uses, including hitting/shieldpoking feet through platform and its goofy reverse hitbox

D

Deleted member

Lolz @ Mow being outdated as Hell.

Diagonal hitbox on the Fair has a slew of uses, including hitting/shieldpoking feet through platform and it's goofy reverse hitbox
No joke, I feel pretty outdated sometimes. But heavy movement + trapping is something I like to do in general. A trapped opponent is a dead one, and falco isn't bad at this line of play.

D

Deleted member

Fair is slightly longer than Nair, too. It's got some really nice niche uses.

most moves in the game have niche uses. i'm more concerned with "is this niche use a superior alternative to using lasers better?" sometimes it's yes but most of the time it isn't. that said, i do really value effective innovation/progression, but i'm also very honest and critical about it because i know how much that type of stuff tends to be over hyped.

the way i evaluate things is very restrictive and honest and i get a lot of flak for it. like I tell a lot of players that they suck but i know they're better than I am. they say "well we'd **** you." no ****. is being better than umbreonmow really an accomplishment in smash? obviously not lol. but it's true, greatness isn't typical. there's maybe 30 good players that don't suck at smash right now, and i'm thankful that i've been able to work with m2, pp, and...druggedfox :)

most smashers are content to grind out so wavedashes and l cancels and never really sit down and grind out the refined details of a technical game. they just sit in this thread reading about how to edge guard or watching pp's videos. that's fine, and you might get a little better doing that but you'll never be a good player. I know when I text kevin some gem to work with, he'll at least play with it in game for ten minutes to figure it out. me and m2k grinded out the details of fox's CG for 2 days in his room in jersey. despite some people posting in here for months trying to learn falco from the master, not one player in this thread moves the way kevin does in a match. he could play any color/tag and you'd still know who was playing in the first 10 seconds of the match. why is that?

idk i guess if i've learned anything about the smash community it's that they don't like honesty as a whole. all of the closest friends i have and the people i exchange ideas with the most are the ones that openly accept criticism.

perhaps calling it "honesty" is a loaded statement.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
maybe people would listen if you were good too :p

anyway

i can see wisdom in your posts but sometimes your criticisms come off as too judgmental rather than constructive

as for me... nobody on this forum can help me except my ic bros fly, wobbles, smasher89, and maybe some others sometimes.

Niko45

Smash Master
Question after watching stric vs doh.

If peach powershields the nair approach does dsmash really come out before shine? Seems like that should not work to me but it was working a lot. Was stric just messing something up?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Question after watching stric vs doh.

If peach powershields the nair approach does dsmash really come out before shine? Seems like that should not work to me but it was working a lot. Was stric just messing something up?
I played with DoH a lot before Apex and I will just say you have to do your Nairs pretty darn low to beat the Dsmash lol. Definitely possible though but you have to essentially call the powershield(or shield in general if you want to go deep as a mixup I guess).

Stric was doing his Nairs like Peach was just going to shield basically.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Scumbag UmbreonMow:

> Scoffs at discussion concerning Fair and its possible utilities, telling people they are wasting time trying to innovate its uses

> Brags about working with PP and M2K to innovate/test other strategies

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
most moves in the game have niche uses. i'm more concerned with "is this niche use a superior alternative to using lasers better?" sometimes it's yes but most of the time it isn't. that said, i do really value effective innovation/progression, but i'm also very honest and critical about it because i know how much that type of stuff tends to be over hyped.

the way i evaluate things is very restrictive and honest and i get a lot of flak for it. like I tell a lot of players that they suck but i know they're better than I am. they say "well we'd **** you." no ****. is being better than umbreonmow really an accomplishment in smash? obviously not lol. but it's true, greatness isn't typical. there's maybe 30 good players that don't suck at smash right now, and i'm thankful that i've been able to work with m2, pp, and...druggedfox :)

most smashers are content to grind out so wavedashes and l cancels and never really sit down and grind out the refined details of a technical game. they just sit in this thread reading about how to edge guard or watching pp's videos. that's fine, and you might get a little better doing that but you'll never be a good player. I know when I text kevin some gem to work with, he'll at least play with it in game for ten minutes to figure it out. me and m2k grinded out the details of fox's CG for 2 days in his room in jersey. despite some people posting in here for months trying to learn falco from the master, not one player in this thread moves the way kevin does in a match. he could play any color/tag and you'd still know who was playing in the first 10 seconds of the match. why is that?

idk i guess if i've learned anything about the smash community it's that they don't like honesty as a whole. all of the closest friends i have and the people i exchange ideas with the most are the ones that openly accept criticism.

perhaps calling it "honesty" is a loaded statement.

y do u act like ur some sort of smash coach or something?
like even tho ur not good urself ur somehow qualified as a coach/critic

doesnt make sense

D

Deleted member

Scumbag UmbreonMow:

> Scoffs at discussion concerning Fair and its possible utilities, telling people they are wasting time trying to innovate its uses
you guys probably have the right idea @ falco because i basically never use fair and it has negative consequences and i acknowledge them
now that i know you don't actually read my posts, i can feel more justified for not reading yours.

yes, the powershield dair/nair actually works, no matter how clean/low your aerials are. it's a pretty sick solution to the character in some ways, and yet disappointing when you realize that something that difficult only nullifies a small range of what the character can do. playing doh in random test matches, i was mostly able to get around it after 20 minutes, barring a few awesome destruction stocks where i still went for the dair anyway and died for it horribly lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I find a lot of PS shenaniganry is telegraphed by movement or similar positional behaviours. So if you can pick up on that it's not too hard to just... tickle them.

giovannig22311

Smash Journeyman
Changed the title until I get another suggestion. XD

Fixed that stupid error. I come back to my writing in between fits of spacing out sometimes and that happens haha.

I can do a Marth one sometime.
ay pp wat tips do u hav for a peach matchup?? her down smash and float are so stupid,. do i jus nair and lasers ,cuse every time she knocks me off she floats off stage and jus nairs .

EWC

Smash Ace
The powershield downsmash vs nair/dair doesn't work if you hit their shield really late. Both moves have 7 frames of stun on shield (and powershielding doesn't change this for physical attacks), dair lcancels in 9 frames and nair in 7. So if you hit their shield on frame and land on frame 1, then they will be in stun until frame 7, and you will able to shine either on the next frame or two frames later. Downsmash takes 5 frames to start and that's not fast enough; Your shine will beat it.

Powershield->jab will beat even the latest dair->shine with most characters (anyone with a 2 or maybe 3 frame jab), but that still loses to nair->shine, although just barely.

It's pretty impractical to approach with such a low aerial->shine though; You lose all the hitbox magic that makes falco's feet so good in the first place. You can still do aerials in such a way that you start earlier while still hitting really low by spacing so that your hitbox barely overlaps them, and only at the end. You usually (always? idk haven't tested it) won't be able to hit them/shield with a shine then, and it's also dangerous for spacing reasons, but it's a useful tactic sometimes anyway.

I'm not really sure about how practical this powershielding stuff is vs real (ie good) falcos. It's pretty easy to time on aerial approaches that you know are coming (4 frame window; I can do it like 85% or more), but it's a lot harder to do in reaction to an approach. I suspect that it's well within the limits of human ability to be able to do it by reaction from a lot of spacings though; I can't do it personally but I haven't really practiced it either. I'm only good at frame data and theory smash so I'll leave the practical implications of all this as an exercise to the reader.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What's with you and Falco lately? It seems everytime I see you post you've just recently been practicing with Falco. What happened to Ganon lol?
Because I have been for a while now. My Ganon gets owned too often by Bam, there's just nothing I can do and then I tried to Falco ditto him repeatedly and right now it's usually a lot closer unless he was purposely playing crappier.. but I kinda doubt it when he owns my Ganon that much. I decided I'm going to fight fire with fire.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Because I have been for a while now. My Ganon gets owned too often by Bam, there's just nothing I can do and then I tried to Falco ditto him repeatedly and right now it's usually a lot closer unless he was purposely playing crappier.. but I kinda doubt it when he owns my Ganon that much. I decided I'm going to fight fire with fire.
HAHAHAHAH

years and years of you posting the same 'anything is possible with a warrior's spirit' bull**** culminates inthis? BEAUTIFUL

Divinokage

Smash Legend
HAHAHAHAH

years and years of you posting the same 'anything is possible with a warrior's spirit' bull**** culminates inthis? BEAUTIFUL
You can't really understand when you haven't had a strong partner through your life that owns you, years after years. So I'm going to own him by following my darkness and be true to my name. You can't escape your own shadow.

To refute your statement, I don't see how being utterly confident in yourself is bad. You need it if you want to defeat strong opponents or even hope to be at least decent. I never stopped believing in myself. If you believe it's BS then you'll never succeed, sorry.

Top Bottom