• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Exciting stuff.

Thanks for the response, I can't wait to see you guys play. Oh, and the restraint suits you well.

I wouldn't count out shroomed though... I'd honestly call Javi's chances against him 50-50; how many docs are there in mexico? Plus shroomed is just too good.
That's fair. Fox/Doc kinda sucks for Doc imo so we will see how quickly Javi learns it I suppose haha.

I may MM Javi with my Marth if I don't get to play him twice in tournament *shrug*. I'll just have to see how things play out. I suppose I could even Marth MM before the tourney starts.....lol pointless ramblings. I'll just see what happens. XD

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Hey PP on spacies after you get your opponent out of the the percentage range of the standard dair->shine combos what do you do on final destination with no platforms to utilize to keep the combo going? I use to just go for uairs after the final shine and try to lead those into something but lately I haven't been liking them as much. I've recently been trying after the final shine to get a nair->fsmash or up-tilt->weak nair->fsmash (like how Silent Wolf does), but I can't get any solid consistency with those. I've also been thinking of trying out after the last shine using uptilt->grab->up throw->dair or uptilt->grab->up throw->nair->fsmash (or just fsmashing after the up throw if they completely biff the DI) , but I'm thinking they can DI out of those up throws when they expect it. What do you usually do? Maybe I should just start stealing Unknown's/Zhu's weak uair->uptilt->stuff lol.

D

Deleted member

My Dr. PP impression-

"I can beat the best player in the world with my secondary character who's not even as good of a character as the one I usually play... but I'd rather beat him with the better character that I put all this time into instead. Why? The same reason I let LOZR get bodied in teams and still placed in the money: it's pride. Pride/salt. Salt johns. It's all the same thing really. Catfish farms and ****."

Bones0

Smash Legend
I heard PP built his catfish farm entirely from wood he chopped down during his stint as a lumberjack. Can anyone confirm or deny?

D

Deleted member

I heard PP built his catfish farm entirely from wood he chopped down during his stint as a lumberjack. Can anyone confirm or deny?
kevin is a man of the future. he feeds his catfish cotton seed from west texas to lower his own input costs while supporting other americans. he uses good old maine lumber, mississippi negros, and of course north carolina catfish. he runs his farm with an oppressive beard and a deep love of the american people.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Forward air. its all about fair man.
I'll watch PP or someone do something cool with the fair and want to find uses myself but whenever I try it myself in a match I just hate the damn thing. I'd much rather go for a weak nair or bair, the extra frame or two of lag on the fair just really trips me up and I rarely can get stuff out of it. The only times I try to use it are for upthrow->fair->regrabs on fast fallers and sometimes I use it on someone's shield for that little extra bit of spacing that you don't get with the nair to try to catch someone thinking their safe coming out of shield.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey PP on spacies after you get your opponent out of the the percentage range of the standard dair->shine combos what do you do on final destination with no platforms to utilize to keep the combo going? I use to just go for uairs after the final shine and try to lead those into something but lately I haven't been liking them as much. I've recently been trying after the final shine to get a nair->fsmash or up-tilt->weak nair->fsmash (like how Silent Wolf does), but I can't get any solid consistency with those. I've also been thinking of trying out after the last shine using uptilt->grab->up throw->dair or uptilt->grab->up throw->nair->fsmash (or just fsmashing after the up throw if they completely biff the DI) , but I'm thinking they can DI out of those up throws when they expect it. What do you usually do? Maybe I should just start stealing Unknown's/Zhu's weak uair->uptilt->stuff lol.
Depends on DI, stage positioning, and what you normally do(because that will influence the first two things). After 40%ish, it's great to Nair/Fair into Dsmash because it sends them low and it's hard for them to recover from it(credit to M2K and Umbreon for telling me about this). If you pass %s for that to work, then Dair into weak moves into spikes can be really good as well as any time you can land a weak move(weak part of Nair/Bair or jabs that kinda stuff).

That first hit Uair to uptilt stuff is also good in that percent range and you should totally mix that in as well haha.

DI out=more smashes or moves that send them close to the edge so you can trap them on a tech or finish them.

DI in=more combo moves, generally.

Anyone know which hit of the fair has the least knockback?
I think every hit after the first one has the same knockback, or at least most of them do(the last one may be different but I'm not sure).

My Dr. PP impression-

"I can beat the best player in the world with my secondary character who's not even as good of a character as the one I usually play... but I'd rather beat him with the better character that I put all this time into instead. Why? The same reason I let LOZR get bodied in teams and still placed in the money: it's pride. Pride/salt. Salt johns. It's all the same thing really. Catfish farms and ****."
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

HATE U

D

Deleted member

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

HATE U

u jus salty that i understand what you're about lol

and by salty i mean full of pride.

dat bird.

edit: real talk i love to see you do well and i love your style and support you as a player. but the humor is too good lol

Battlecow

Play to Win
That's fair. Fox/Doc kinda sucks for Doc imo so we will see how quickly Javi learns it I suppose haha.

I may MM Javi with my Marth if I don't get to play him twice in tournament *shrug*. I'll just have to see how things play out. I suppose I could even Marth MM before the tourney starts.....lol pointless ramblings. I'll just see what happens. XD
Shroomed always says that he has the hardest time against SFAT of any fox because SFAT knows the MU and knowing the MU is a huge deal with doc.

lNow I'm second-guessing myself. Lol, guess I'll just have to see what happens too.

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman
its to hard to improve in this game with falco. i started so late, ima just say **** it idc about improving anymore. **** this shie waste of time.

G

genkaku

powershield rest is the best strategy in the game.
I've done it... twice ever, haha

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
well powershielding allows you to do any ground move immediately without having to wait for your shield to drop. Things you can normally do out of shield (grab, jump, roll) don't gain any advantages when you powershield, but things you can't do out of shield can go ~15 frames earlier (depending on character) since you don't have to WD or shield drop. Powershield->rest could come out on the first frame that shieldstun ends.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Jumping would take like 4 or 5 frames (w/e puff's jump is) and then you wouldn't be grounded. Thats better than shield dropping or WDing, but powershielding is where its at, yo

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hey guys, old school player here looking to come back into competitive Melee. I've recently begun to pick up Falco, but it needs a lot of work. I recently attended an amateur tournament last week which also had a recorded draft crew battle, so I got footage of a couple matches to pick apart at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...UULTNJKajnb77cLqq_Pqa2lg&v=MgV0jrm5zZw#t=695s

Any critique would be appreciated. I've only been practising Falco's tech skill a week and a half prior to this video, so I know it needs a lot of work, but comments on what I could be applying rather than what I'm screwing up would be awesome.

D

Deleted member

are you guys actually debating how fast powershield > rest is?

edit:

Any critique would be appreciated. I've only been practising Falco's tech skill a week and a half prior to this video, so I know it needs a lot of work, but comments on what I could be applying rather than what I'm screwing up would be awesome.
you hesitate a lot when you don't have to and you don't place your lasers for any specific reason, which indicates that you play falco for some reason other than knowing why he's a dumb/broken character. i think you should go back and read all of the posts in this thread from the last month or two talking about lasers specifically. you can have mediocre tech skill and have the strength of the character carry for you really hard until you start playing better players, so for now i don't think you should be focusing on tech skill but rather solidifying your game plan and actively practicing it.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Jumping would take like 4 or 5 frames (w/e puff's jump is) and then you wouldn't be grounded. Thats better than shield dropping or WDing, but powershielding is where its at, yo
Can't you use the invincibility frames from the rest to avoid their move and kill them? Sounds about as hard as powershielding then resting them and I think I've seen Tekk do it before.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
no you can't do that. Rest has a hitbox only on frame 1. You are invincible then, so if they happened to be attacking you and inside you on the frame you rest, then yes you can do that. I seems you meant it like go through their move with the invincibility and have the hitbox hit them after going through their attack, which no, you can't do.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Inb4 you're a bad player if you don't know every frame in the game and then some.

Totally just posted this for the 1K.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You are. Strong Bad, Magus and Myself can actually 1v2 mango and armada but we don't enter or sandbag when we do so our secrets wont be revealed

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hey guys, old school player here looking to come back into competitive Melee. I've recently begun to pick up Falco, but it needs a lot of work. I recently attended an amateur tournament last week which also had a recorded draft crew battle, so I got footage of a couple matches to pick apart at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...UULTNJKajnb77cLqq_Pqa2lg&v=MgV0jrm5zZw#t=695s

You don't laser with much purpose and need to focus on how people respond to your lasers and work reacting from there. Also you do too many scared Bairs that you don't need to do because most people respect those automatically(also you should do those AC'd and retreating if you're going to do them so they're safer anyway). You also put up your shield when you get hit too much and don't try to get momentum going quickly enough, which will get you ***** as Falco. You always want to get a laser out/get moving as quickly as possible whenever you can.

Lots of random DJs you start doing a while into the video will only serve to get you ***** usually. Burning your DJ as Falco/spacie usually gets you ***** super fast. FH if you expect Fox to FH Nair at you if you want to counter it that way, but otherwise keep yourself from using DJs at least.

You don't act well when you get on top of a platform. You should laser off of it or aerial off of it so you can keep momentum. Getting on one in itself seemed okay for you but you just didn't do too much with the position.

You also continue jumping/baiting and other similar things when the other player is respecting you. Once you establish the threat of your moves then you should go on applying pressure or at least lasering.

That'll do for now.

Mahone

Smash Champion

at the beginning of the match u stale ur lasers by hitting him before he gets rid of his stock...

work on shine out of shield to get out of pressure

work on your laser height, mogwai has a good guide on that with gifs... you kept shooting them too high, just make sure you can control them really well

fox seems decent...

12:19- shine after spotdodging their grab is godlike, jab woulda been worse even if it hit cuz of crouch cancel etc.

13:14- again spotdodge shine woulda worked... its one of the most broken things falco has

lol **** fsmash at 13:17

14:17- coulda dair fsmashed, or something else, not sure why you started moving, just react

you get him to shield a lot with lasers, but then don't pressure the shield... once you get him in shield, go up and grab or shield pressure more

you did well vs the samus not much to say...

try to get more vids up after you practice more tech skill, lack of tech skill is too significant with falco... other than that, try to play a little more reactive, a lot of times it seems like you've already planned what you are going to do and don't adjust it according to your opponent's spacing, and you play to get single hits a little too much... thats not really what makes falco good, if you just wanna space and poke, i would recommend someone else, you should be trying to get solid hits that lead into autocombos (especially against fox) rather than a bunch of single hit bairs/rising dairs etc.

Top Bottom