• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

I did an experiment against a friend of mine last night. I went Falco against his Falcon and Luigi, and shot NO lasers. It's pretty difficult. I found myself supplementing lack of lasers with WD'ing and lots of DD. He's still pretty OP, but lasers don't give him that all-compassing control. I can't see him being that much worse off without them.
against bad people, you're right. against good people, falco with no lasers is just a slow character with no stage control with above average moves. so he becomes ganondorf pretty much. going from 1st to 9th....yeah i think lasers are pretty potent lol

i wouldn't describe falco w/o lasers as OP at all. if anything, being such a frail character would make him pretty bad.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
My friend was telling me that Falco w/o lasers is pretty bad, but I was being stubborn about it. Towards the end, before I switched, I was doing horribly, so I went back to lasers. So, you're probably right. Even though they are really overrated, they're still really good. I'd like to see some Falco get far who didn't laser at all, though. It'd be refreshing.

And I think Falco's moveset (without lasers) is better than Ganon's, but I take your point.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think Falco's laser itself is what makes him so potent. A lot of it is simply the threat of lasers because the fact that you can laser at almost any time puts a lot of limitations on your opponent's movement options. This does a lot to make up for how slow he is, and from what I've noticed, I punish much harder when my opponent expects a laser when I don't shoot one rather than actually shooting a laser and hitting them when they aren't expecting one.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
That's probably why a no laser Falco doesn't work. It's not his lasers, but the threat of them which makes him powerful (which is what you said, Bones). Makes sense, since a large part of the game is mental.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't think Falco's laser itself is what makes him so potent. A lot of it is simply the threat of lasers because the fact that you can laser at almost any time puts a lot of limitations on your opponent's movement options. This does a lot to make up for how slow he is, and from what I've noticed, I punish much harder when my opponent expects a laser when I don't shoot one rather than actually shooting a laser and hitting them when they aren't expecting one.
Threat of lasers can't exist without the lasers. In order for a tool to be used well(and in this case make a character more threatening), he should establish that tool as powerful and useful. Lasers establish themselves well so you can't just say it's the threat of lasers and not the lasers themselves lol.

I guess it's sort of a hair-splitting thing but it seems like a really odd distinction to make in the first place so whatever lol.

This entire discussion is kinda funny though lol. Silly hypotheticals =p

Veetaak

Smash Lord
What if the lasers were of a different color?

What color would be the sickest?

I think they should change to your clothing color. Blue and green would be pretty sick. Default falco should get something cooler than grey/white. Maybe yellow or something.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
What if the lasers were of a different color?

What color would be the sickest?

I think they should change to your clothing color. Blue and green would be pretty sick. Default falco should get something cooler than grey/white. Maybe yellow or something.
I'm not an expert at iso hacking so I could be wrong, but I think with the way the melee iso is set up this is impossible. To change Falco's laser colors at all I'm pretty sure you have to change it for every costume. I could be wrong though, but I've only seen moveset color changing hacks apply to a character's model file and not a costume file. Of course, now that Megaupload is down good luck even finding a file to change the color of his laser at all now, you'll have to do it on your own.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Threat of lasers can't exist without the lasers. In order for a tool to be used well(and in this case make a character more threatening), he should establish that tool as powerful and useful. Lasers establish themselves well so you can't just say it's the threat of lasers and not the lasers themselves lol.

I guess it's sort of a hair-splitting thing but it seems like a really odd distinction to make in the first place so whatever lol.

This entire discussion is kinda funny though lol. Silly hypotheticals =p
Yeah, that was exactly my point. lol Falco without lasers is significantly worse than a Falco with lasers even if the Falco with lasers only uses them sparingly because the threat is there. Falco without lasers at all is a lot worse, but I just wanted to point out it isn't because Falco should be comboing out of lasers constantly or anything.

Other color lasers would be cool for a little, but I would still <3 my red lasers cause it matches my red jacket. lol

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I'd like shine to be colored by port or costume or something so that when I shine oos during spacie pressure I know who shined who right away.

Lasers are whatever

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman
What I meant was, if you are overshooting a nair, you shouldn't go so far past them that your shine will miss. If your shine is going to miss, don't try to hit him with it obviously. Just shield instead. That's not something you should be trying to do, but rather a way to cut your losses because if you nair shine and he realized you went too far, he can wavesmash before you can get out of the way. Most of the time you aerial too far past them it is because you didn't fast fall properly, so just make sure you keep your FF timing in mind when overshooting aerials.

Also, when I say RSHL out of the shine, I mean RSHL towards him because you have your back to each other (I would never dash back in front of Marth because you can West Coast an fsmash so easily). As soon as you shine on his shield, jump as soon as you can and watch what he does. If he WDs OoS, laser and pursue him, and if he stays there in shield, you can late aerial into another shine. If you are having trouble confirming whether or not he is moving before you land from the SH out of the shine, you can just laser and react with a shine or pursuing him based on your reaction then.
alright thanks for clearing that up for me that kind of information is really helpful.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
that'd be really cool froot loop. that is kind of a problem with spacie dittos, when it comes to that shield pressure, you know something hit, but you don't know if you need to be DIing or following up lol.

Beat!

Smash Master
Yeah, I guess a swordsman with a slightly feminine appearance is more threatening than a huge, destructive **** ape these days. :/

Battlecow

Play to Win
Rubyiris and crush make a great odd couple. We should start a sitcom.

Hey PP- Northwest Manifest seems to be the next big thing on the horizon. Although anything can happen, it does seem logical to say that Javi may very well be your main opposition there. What are you going to do differently this time against him?

Your confidence in your marth seems to be growing daily as well--will we be seeing him used at NWMF as a legit counterpick? A secondary for certain MU's? A main, even? Or is that day farther off than march 24? Javi seems to be as experienced in the falco MU as someone whose twin brother plays falco ought to be; however, you've been a fan of the fox MU with falco for some time as well. Could the marth make an appearance in that set, if it happens?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Rubyiris and crush make a great odd couple. We should start a sitcom.

Hey PP- Northwest Manifest seems to be the next big thing on the horizon. Although anything can happen, it does seem logical to say that Javi may very well be your main opposition there. What are you going to do differently this time against him?

Your confidence in your marth seems to be growing daily as well--will we be seeing him used at NWMF as a legit counterpick? A secondary for certain MU's? A main, even? Or is that day farther off than march 24? Javi seems to be as experienced in the falco MU as someone whose twin brother plays falco ought to be; however, you've been a fan of the fox MU with falco for some time as well. Could the marth make an appearance in that set, if it happens?
*restrains self*

I have yet to actually study my videos against him, but from watching him play in general(watched most of his Apex videos at this point) I think I know what to do. It'll mainly be disrupting his optimal way to play(in his neutral position game where he takes a couple seconds then attacks) and give him false timings to do that FH Nair so I can punish him.

Marth will be very very hit or miss by NWMF I believe. I could probably use him to beat Javi(if Marth is "hit") but it's a matter of pride with Falco now. Plus I'm mad good against Fox with Falco so I don't see the point in switching, no matter how much experience he has against Falco *shrug*

If we play in both finals, I'll probably use Marth at least once in them. I'm too curious not to do it lol.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Exciting stuff.

Thanks for the response, I can't wait to see you guys play. Oh, and the restraint suits you well.

I wouldn't count out shroomed though... I'd honestly call Javi's chances against him 50-50; how many docs are there in mexico? Plus shroomed is just too good.

Top Bottom