• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
joshsyde I actually like pressing down before shielding, rather than shielding before down when I do the shai drop; winston already explained what it was, and it can be pretty useful.

I've found that the trick to it is initial dash --> press down --> press shield as lightly as possible. Idk if that's actually how it works, but for some reason or another it works very consistently for me when I do that. It should technically be the same idea of getting to a certain part of down on your control stick, and I've probably just instinctively found it by now. And yeah, shield dropping is super super useful, I'm sure you'll find plenty of situations to abuse it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
@ Kage and Sinji

If I played melee, you might have a point

As it is, you're just being obnoxious. Not everyone has to be a warrior in every game. Kage, do you watch basketball? Hey, if you're a fan of Lebron, you've already given up on being the best basketball player in the world. How pitiful.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wtf.. I didn't think there were people here that just watches melee and not play it at all? I didn't say you have to be best, all I'm saying is you'll stop trying. Whether it's in life or anything.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i think i get what you're saying.

when you watch a match purely as a spectator, it's like you've forgotten about your own fighting spirit and you're only human.

and no mere human is a match for GOLDAR!

whitemountain123

Smash Cadet
joshsyde I actually like pressing down before shielding, rather than shielding before down when I do the shai drop; winston already explained what it was, and it can be pretty useful.

I've found that the trick to it is initial dash --> press down --> press shield as lightly as possible. Idk if that's actually how it works, but for some reason or another it works very consistently for me when I do that. It should technically be the same idea of getting to a certain part of down on your control stick, and I've probably just instinctively found it by now. And yeah, shield dropping is super super useful, I'm sure you'll find plenty of situations to abuse it.
Word---I tried out shield dropping for the first time right now (no dashing), and I also found it easier for some reason when I shielded lightly. I was actually surprised; it's taken me a long time to get basic technical stuff only decently down, but I felt I was already getting the hang of shield dropping.

And, this could just be me but it feels like the angle changes a bit for where to push the joystick depending on whether you're going forward or backward (relative to the stance of your character).

<1st post>

Bones0

Smash Legend
At first I also thought shielding lightly made it easier, but I've since attributed that to the fact that shielding lightly is more delicate and will also make your control stick inputs more delicate (as opposed to slamming the trigger all the way, which will have a tendency to make you push the control stick too hard). It could also be the fact that light shields are somewhat easeir to see moving around during tilts. I know I still have an issue shield dropping with some characters because I tend to look to how far my shield is moving to be able to tell how close I am to dropping. With character like Falcon and Marth, their shields barely move at all when you tilt them, but Fox and Falco tilt their shields a lot further.

I'm pretty sure the angle doesn't change based on the way you are facing either. If you do it out of a standing shield you can tell pretty clearly you go about the same distance either way you angle your shield. If you're referring to shield drops out of dashes, then yes, you will go much further forward than you would if you were stationary, and angling your shield drop against your dash will actually result in you going straight down.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
@ straight8:
thank god im not the only one who sees through the bull****

sveet you are also a terrible theorycrafter who has played smash forever and have still done nothing notable but spam the forums.

also i want to see the mango post, just cause i want to see what the 2nd best player in the world (yeah i said it) has to say about the first best.

doesnt mean you are a fanboy, and there's nothing wrong with fanboyism in itself.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Wtf.. I didn't think there were people here that just watches melee and not play it at all? I didn't say you have to be best, all I'm saying is you'll stop trying. Whether it's in life or anything.
I play 64, but melee matches are hella fun to watch and Peepee's a G and the Mango-drama is spectator heaven, so I want ma mangopost.

Doesn't mean I'll stop trying. I'm tryhard to the core at the things I do participate in.

But we really shouldn't be talking about me here.

whitemountain123

Smash Cadet
At first I also thought shielding lightly made it easier, but I've since attributed that to the fact that shielding lightly is more delicate and will also make your control stick inputs more delicate (as opposed to slamming the trigger all the way, which will have a tendency to make you push the control stick too hard). It could also be the fact that light shields are somewhat easeir to see moving around during tilts. I know I still have an issue shield dropping with some characters because I tend to look to how far my shield is moving to be able to tell how close I am to dropping. With character like Falcon and Marth, their shields barely move at all when you tilt them, but Fox and Falco tilt their shields a lot further.

I'm pretty sure the angle doesn't change based on the way you are facing either. If you do it out of a standing shield you can tell pretty clearly you go about the same distance either way you angle your shield. If you're referring to shield drops out of dashes, then yes, you will go much further forward than you would if you were stationary, and angling your shield drop against your dash will actually result in you going straight down.
Yeah, the light touch that comes with light shielding is definitely a reason why shield dropping like that might feel easier. I also hear what you're saying about the lack of difference between the two directions but, just to clarify, I'm talking about a possible difference in the angle, not the distance.

On an unrelated note, why don't I see a lot of double shining (without leaving the ground, not the mango waveland version) or turn around shine grabs (as a mixup if you end up with your back turned to the opponent). Is it just cuz they're hard to pull off mid game?

Thanks

:phone:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
thank god im not the only one who sees through the bull****

sveet you are also a terrible theorycrafter who has played smash forever and have still done nothing notable but spam the forums.

also i want to see the mango post, just cause i want to see what the 2nd best player in the world (yeah i said it) has to say about the first best.

doesnt mean you are a fanboy, and there's nothing wrong with fanboyism in itself.
Have you seen sveet's vids????

straight8

Banned via Warnings
yes

i just watched the progression from a bad marth (3 year old vids) to another bad marth (1 year old vids)
not only does he look terrible in videos and have no real purpose in the way he plays, he never places well. so i think my opinion has some good backing, sue me.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
$20 Sveet would trash you in his sleep.

EDIT: And yeah, what Chris said right below. NEVER judge people from videos as they are representative of tiny fractions of that person's actual play time, and also do not accurately convey situational factors (crowd/relationship to other player/moods/illness/endless other things). For example, until it got spread on the boards, Kevin just sucked really bad at G2; oops, he actually had a really bad flu bug and then everyone thought differently. Only NC and people at the tourney knew he was actually really ill but that's a pretty large thing to factor in. Until you've been at the tournaments and played/watched the pros, you have no grounds to bad mouth pros.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
some things you can't tell through vids. i thought dart was just another random marth till i played him.

edit: i second that josh. sveet would def demolish this kid lol.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
wait sooooo i cant judge through vids but you can judge skill through forum posts?

bot only would i destroy sveet (and thats not even relevant to his skill, only relevant to his relative to mine), i would scrape both of you. moving on..
also yeah i can judge by videos. never tell people not to judge by videos.. (?)

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Straight8: I was more judging by the way you talk about the game and moreso the fact that despite you living in GA, which I've attended several tournaments in and know a good chunk of the players, I have never heard of you and no one seems to be vouching for you.

EDIT: Except Brookman apparently. And for me, GA is a mixed bag but there is definitely a good bit of talent there.

As far as you scraping me, I'll money match you any day.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
yeah bair to good.

but when shes coming from bellow the stage and I dont have time to grab the ledge before her stupid mofo umbrella comes out?

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Straight8: I was more judging by the way you talk about the game and moreso the fact that despite you living in GA, which I've attended several tournaments in and know a good chunk of the players, I have never heard of you and no one seems to be vouching for you.

EDIT: Except Brookman apparently. And for me, GA is a mixed bag but there is definitely a good bit of talent there.

As far as you scraping me, I'll money match you any day.
all you are is a rather loud kid who came to one GA tourney in recent memory, and are not only bad, but you are only known for being loud as **** and being a dr peepee hype man. you are also known for raging and complaining when you lose.

stop trying to act like you know the ga scene, cause u dont, and even when you came here, all u did was play with your nc buds. you dont actually "know" any chunk of players here, except maybe anthony or sleepy, and they "know" everyone.

ga isnt a mixed bag. stop. talking. about what. you have no clue about.

if you still support the idea of shielding on a platform being the somehow "best" option, then this only confirms to me that you don't know the game, AT ALL.

edit: id just like to reiterate for anyone who hasnt figured it out, standing 3 feet from your boy's opponent and screaming "HBOX SUCKS ****" or whatever is pretty ****ing dumb.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
PP PP PP! How do you feel about the nerfs Phoenix is recieving in UMvC3? Are they justified?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
all you are is a rather loud kid who came to one GA tourney in recent memory, and are not only bad, but you are only known for being loud as **** and being a dr peepee hype man. you are also known for raging and complaining when you lose.

stop trying to act like you know the ga scene, cause u dont, and even when you came here, all u did was play with your nc buds. you dont actually "know" any chunk of players here, except maybe anthony or sleepy, and they "know" everyone.

ga isnt a mixed bag. stop. talking. about what. you have no clue about.

if you still support the idea of shielding on a platform being the somehow "best" option, then this only confirms to me that you don't know the game, AT ALL.

edit: id just like to reiterate for anyone who hasnt figured it out, standing 3 feet from your boy's opponent and screaming "HBOX SUCKS ****" or whatever is pretty ****ing dumb.
You make it sound like that you are part of the hood or some ****. Wtf. lol.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
re: peach question.
idk how to edge guard her very well as falco, but remember that once she gets the ledge, she cannot ledge hop aerial like most characters in this game can. prepare for her roll, get up or get up attack.

re: straight8.
i don't know you personally. i don't know how good you are at melee.
all i know is that you're internet persona is kind of an ashhole and nobody in this thread is looking forward to shaking your hand anytime soon.

just thought i'd give it to you straight.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
the only way this would be interesting is if that was redfox's alt account.

otherwise, i can't really imagine who that would be that would be in this thread that would have been at tipped off but still stands a legit shot at beating josh.

but GA randoms are often good soooo *shrug*

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Straight8 reminds me of the old me back in 2010 when I used to run off my mouth on the boards.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
@mogwai telling me that "no once cares": obviously a lot of people do LOL.

-im not a hoodrat but i can **** all 3 of these people in melee. Im also almost positive that darksyde got last in his pool besides that hitboxexploiter guy (who is almost as lulz as it gets).

@blackchris/darkness/whoever you are
you dont even know redfox LOL. also i think everyone in that venue could beat josh, save like 5 people. dont talk trash unless you can at least make it into brackets.

@both of you: stop namedropping random names of people youve been introduced to and got in on a rotation with in order to act like you know the scene and are part of it. neither of you did much but play your nc buddies, or talk to them, or eat with them, so stop.

This is my last post on the topic. i just want this thread to get back to where it was. Im not trying to make a fanclub, but i am trying to show these kids for who they really are: talkers and nothing else.

@other random: i didnt say i would wrestle him, i wouldnt even touch him. i told him i got 5th in state wrestling and had taken weapons defense training when he threatened to physically hurt me because he had a different opinion. both of those are also true, so idc, bad trolls will lie and try to troll.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
lol so abrasive. i'm curious as to who you are and where you were in the bracket, but i'm not nearly as worried about it as you are. TO6 was a weird tourney. wish i wouldve actually met you there.

Top Bottom