• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

G

genkaku

predictions on what PP means? haha. my guess is that mango is trying to singlehandedly change the future of the metagame from gay to aggressive. mango4prez
nah, it's probably either "mango sucks, it's just that everyone is afraid of him" or "mango sells pot"

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Probably like.. Do not follow Mango's pace.. he brainwashed too many people already. I saw it at Genesis, all the WC is against me, aahhh!!!

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
I have a variety of tactics in my head I switch between when I play and I play based on feelings and conditioning I can almost "feel" while playing. It's pretty intuitive for me despite it being somewhat straightforward and textbook.

When I played while sick, I couldn't think of tactics on the fly at all, and I often felt like I was playing through a fog of some sort. I even forgot how to play Melee at some points LOL and that was just embarrassing.

Reaction time was probably lowered, focus was harder and knowing I played worse allowed negative thoughts to rush into my head and distracted me further, as well as the WC crowd cheering against me all of the time(crowds usually don't affect me but I couldn't immerse myself in the game so it did).

By the end of it all I was so tired and done feeling that way that I was thinking about wanting to go to sleep at home half the time in matches lol.

-focusing
-loss of tactics and ability to immerse self in game
-reaction time lowered
-switch to conservative style to conserve energy(lower levels in general)

refer to the list to get the basics lol. I get on kicks when I'm asked about this lol. =p

Ahh, thanks, figured it was something like that. Sometimes it's hard to focus just being tired at all. You placed amazing considering the circumstance! And you'll learn from this, no doubt, probably already have.

Now give us that Mango post!!!

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
dude, i'm the main manager of a little caesars pizza.

i can't have a beard. lol idk what i even look like with a beard.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you guys... everyone needs to google search "odin's beard"

look at the first image result....

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
PP, in your opinion, if you were to guess, biased as it may be, how do you think you would've done at Genesis 2 if you were fully healthy and prepared, knowing how your opponents played and all.

Oh and Beast 2 is going to be my first tourney! Will be playing Fox and Falco mostly. Any tips on how to make it a successfull trip? (Besides you know, playing anyone I can and soaking up all knowledge, not expecting too much, etc.) Thanks!

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
PP, in your opinion, if you were to guess, biased as it may be, how do you think you would've done at Genesis 2 if you were fully healthy and prepared, knowing how your opponents played and all.

Oh and Beast 2 is going to be my first tourney! Will be playing Fox and Falco mostly. Any tips on how to make it a successfull trip? (Besides you know, playing anyone I can and soaking up all knowledge, not expecting too much, etc.) Thanks!
Do A LOT of drinking/party it up.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
if it is your first tourny, do your best in the bracket/pool. play good players so you know how you fare against them and how much you'll improve. don't brood over losses because if it is your first tournament you WILL lose a lot.

ask for tips, and learn from those around you. if you have some close matches in tournament, get used to that high pressure, heart-beating feeling because it will always come back in good tournament matches. know how to deal with it

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
@TRLahti: Lol, noted!

@Choknater: Thank you, I'll take that to heart.

Although I know I probably won't do very well, I do feel confident about it. I'm very technical, and I've practiced the sort of things I need to know by myself, such as the difference in L-canceling when I hit a shield, teching edges, DI combos and survival DI, etc. I feel I have the mechanics down already. (Though I haven't used them in a situation where I faced good players, so there's probably gonna take some getting used to/changes/more practice) I've done the "Mango/Lucky technical test" lol, the one Lucky talked about in his interview. Where you drill shine peach in training mode, and as long as it states "consecutive hits" you're doing it fast enough, and doing it to 100 consistently.

I've also tried to study the spacing/reasoning behind players, so I don't feel clueless when it comes to how I play my style and how I'm going to approach many situations, etc. But I know that thinking about these things and pulling them off in your room is a totally different game from real life application. But I'm very anxious to try it out for real!

I'm a singer too, so I'm used to being on the spot, dealing with nervousness, etc. Hopefully that'll give me a headstart if anything.

But I'm concerned with how I'm going to prepare before my matches. I'm probably going to play lots of friendlies before hand, and get a good look at how ****ed up I'm going to get. What should I take from this, how can I take everything I need to from my friendlies, study them, if you will, before I go into the tournament? If that makes any sense...

Sorry for going off on myself here. Just really excited about this, and we're kinda already discussing it a little, lol!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha don't worry this is a really good thread to discuss those kinds of things

usually, the best way for me to prep against an opponent is to try to imagine how the fight will look like. if you can visualize it before it happens, you can do pretty well. this is why i can usually beat HMW in a pressure type situation even though he's more experienced than me.. i know how he plays so i know what he'll try to do to me. there are situations where i tried to visualize but it didn't work out, like the last times i played s2j and hax... i got bodied because they were faster than i thought. however, knowing your opponent is the key to doing well, especially with fox and falco. if you know how they are going to approach or space, you can make the right decisions to counter.

everyone knows the fox/falco matchup, so you are going to have to figure out your own individual tactics to beat their stuff, and then after the tourny you can come back here for more advice

never lose your individuality in your playstyle though and always be creative. it's what will set you apart from other people who main the same character and it will give you that edge.

know yourself and know your opponent!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

Healthy AND prepared? I think I would have gotten at least 3rd(Armada's new tricks were good but beatable and Mango and I would've gone back and forth so that's hard to say for sure since I didn't play him while well). With both though I think I would've had an entirely realistic chance at winning. Ah well lol.

-Make friends because they'll be good for knowledge and training in the future. Plus it's the reason some people stick around lol.
-Play your game and not your opponents'
-Be a good sport(unless you want to create rivalries for hype and stuff then don't be a sport lol)

There's more I suppose but that's the main stuff.

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
Thanks so much, I'll do that.

And I will probably go for the good sport thingy, I can't hurt people without me hurting with them, lol. I'll have to ignore that when I play though.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I like the play your game not opponents part.

It allows you to be one with your character and fight for your life.

thanks for pointing that out PP.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's odd for me he said that, my style is adapting to your style.. so i guess it's easier to fall into the opponent's pace that way.. hmm.. but I mean if I hit someone a lot then it becomes more my pace. Sometimes for me it's hard to recognize when I'm at the advantage or not.

Actually this happens in SF too, when I knock someone down.. I'm not always sure what to do.. lol.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Kage, when I watch your recent match vids it always looks like. . . you get to throwing out so many attacks that the opponents (jman/m2k iirc) just wait for you to finally forward tilt or something.. .

Linguini

Smash Master
Peepee I feel your pain lol.....I know how it is to be really sick and be stuck in a situation where you have to perform; it sucks.

At pound 5 I had the flu/fever over 100 and my throat was almost completely swollen up, even eating was painful as ****. I didn't really talk about it but I didn't feel like playing friendlies at all and when I did play I was playing hooooorrible. I had a terrible performance in the tournament but I was pretty indifferent to it since I was so sick, you shouldn't worry about it too much. these things happen

Those couple friendlies we got weren't me playing at my full potential so I hope we can get some more matches at the next tourney when we're both healthy lol

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah I actually did notice you were off, thinking back on it Linguini. I felt like I got away with more than I should have lol. If you're still traveling a lot(you said you weren't after P5 which would suck since you were sick at it lol) then we should definitely play next time we're in the same place so I can see what you've been working on haha.

And everyone that wanted that Mango post: It'll come eventually. Sometimes I get other stuff on my mind. Hopefully sometime during the day after I wake up but if not within a week.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
basically i think mango likes to rush in, and he finds every way to do so. he does play very safe, but an important thing in melee is that nothing is safe if you keep repeating it. so he changes up his offense a lot

Linguini

Smash Master
I haven't traveled since pound but it's looking likely that i'll be going to that mississippi tournament that armada is going to. Dunno if you've heard about it but you should come out to that man, I know you want a rematch with armada asap anyways lol.

I've actually been working on a lot of new stuff and I feel like i've improved a lot just recently so i'm excited to try it out at a major oos

Top Bottom