• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
crush, no lol. he was trying in all sets.

he was winning in winners w/ falco, so why switch from falco in the marth matchup after bodying mew2king? he doesn't cop out haha. switched to fox in losers to play hbox, and stayed fox for the rematch vs taj. standard mango

crush

Smash Master
crush, no lol. he was trying in all sets.

he was winning in winners w/ falco, so why switch from falco in the marth matchup after bodying mew2king? he doesn't cop out haha. switched to fox in losers to play hbox, and stayed fox for the rematch vs taj. standard mango
ncie commontairy

:phone:

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
yeah i was watching some friendlies that were recorded on JBs youtube channel and the two things that stood out the most to me were:

1. Choknater is an awesome commentator

2. Pewpewu and sfat are a good team

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I'm sure it's been asked before, but what level CPU's should I train on for DI/Comboing purposes?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I seen him warming up before he played M2K and he did like 20 JC shines no problem. That's hard to do (I use the controller stick so I haven't really tried, but yeah).
thats not hard. It just takes practice. Once you know how to drill waveshine over and over again across the stage, JC shine should come natural to you. :)

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
thats not hard. It just takes practice. Once you know how to drill waveshine over and over again across the stage, JC shine should come natural to you. :)
I can do it like 3 times, but that's about it lol. Drill waveshine is a lot easier then 20 JC shines imo.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo Peepee, I hope you realize that you let America down with your weak-*** immune system.

Go watch Captain America when you feel well enough, get inspired, go to Apex (hell, go to MSU) and regain our national pride, or else Ima have to pull some strings and get Sweden reduced to a burnt Gehenna of smoking, radioactive rubble.

And get a god-damn flu shot next time.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yo Peepee, I hope you realize that you let America down with your weak-*** immune system.

Go watch Captain America when you feel well enough, get inspired, go to Apex (hell, go to MSU) and regain our national pride, or else Ima have to pull some strings and get Sweden reduced to a burnt Gehenna of smoking, radioactive rubble.

Someone is tight. lol

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I want to post my videos and ask for help but when I watch them its like wow I'm losing because im a ****ing choke artist.

:/

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer

LOL I agree with all of this.

America can't stand for it!

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I want to post my videos and ask for help but when I watch them its like wow I'm losing because im a ****ing choke artist.

It happens man.

I've had so many embarrassing sets on video that nobody has ever heard or spoken about LOL. Nobody will judge you but yourself, try your best not to lose momentum.

I'm really itching to play some good Melee.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I wish the scene was more like WC overall, soooo many good players.. wtf guys..

Edit: Instead I'm stuck with either playing my good friends or playing vs players much worse.. *sigh* WTB variety/challenge.

And Ruby, just think of Mango SDing in front of 3000 people watching the stream/live. It's mad embarrassing but you have to keep your cool, if not well.. it's gonna be really hard to bring it back since you'll start doing some really dumb stuff.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
Quick question regarding tech skill: What button inputs do y'all use to...
Shine OoS
Shine Bair/Dair
Shine shffl'd aerials
Waveshine
Ledgehop double lazers

Also, do you use up on the control stick to jump out of shine ever, and if so, when?

I'm not sure if the way I've been practicing my tech skill is optimal. For example, when I Ledgehop DL, I can't move my finger from X to B fast enough (I jump almost exclusively with X, should I learn to waveshine with Y or anything?), so what I've been doing is moving my index finger to Y and my thumb to B.
I can shine cancel / waveshine fine when practicing, but when I connect with it the hitlag screws with my timing and I miss the jump timing.

Any general tips would be nice too. Thanks in advance.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I use:
stick for ledgehop double laser, shinegrab, shinebair/dair/etc, shield pressure,
Y for everything else because it's closer to B than X is and equal distance from A and the C stick.

Try ledgehop double lasers with the stick if you're having problems, it seems much easier to me than Y/X. Repositioning for one technique is generally a bad idea.
It's whatever you are comfortable and consistent with really. The game doesn't care whether you use X,Y, or the control stick to jump.
try comboing level 1 fox/falco/falcon cpu's for hitlag timing or go to training mode and give a standing cpu a star to practice shield pressure timing.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Quick question regarding tech skill: What button inputs do y'all use to...
Shine OoS
Shine Bair/Dair
Shine shffl'd aerials
Waveshine
Ledgehop double lazers

Also, do you use up on the control stick to jump out of shine ever, and if so, when?

I'm not sure if the way I've been practicing my tech skill is optimal. For example, when I Ledgehop DL, I can't move my finger from X to B fast enough (I jump almost exclusively with X, should I learn to waveshine with Y or anything?), so what I've been doing is moving my index finger to Y and my thumb to B.
I can shine cancel / waveshine fine when practicing, but when I connect with it the hitlag screws with my timing and I miss the jump timing.

Any general tips would be nice too. Thanks in advance.
Shine OoS: Hold L -> Y -> B
Another option I don't use personally but seems like it would be effective is c-stick up to jump OoS and then as your thumb slides off the c-stick it will land right on be for the shine. For either one, if you are spot dodging try to just tilt down for the shine. It's really hard at first, but it pays off later, especially if you want to do stuff like grounded shines with Fox. Some people use up on the control stick to jump out of the shine, but I felt it was way too hard for Fox's jump because it's so much faster (you have to hit up to jump then press down to shine within 3 frames [5 for Falco]).

Shine Dair: Down+B -> Y -> Down+A
I keep down held the whole time, and because I use Y with the tip of my thumb, it's easy to press A asap.

Shine Bair: Down+B -> Up on control stick -> C-stick the bair
You can use the method for Shine Dairs instead, but I wouldn't recommend it. I learned to shine bair with Y and A and can still do it fine, but if you try to do it near a wall then you will wall jump trying to bair. A while ago I basically had to relearn how to shine bair just so I would stop wall jumping when I shine baired from ledges and stuff.

Shffled Aerials into Shines:
Just down+B and c-stick or A, depending on the situation. If I am doing something like an autocancelled bair where I want to aerial as soon as I get out of my shine, I will use A, but often times using A+Control Stick makes controlling your DI during the attack much more difficult. In those cases, I try to use the c-stick so I don't have to worry about tilting the control stick to both get the correct aerial as well as DI correctly. If you find yourself getting stuck in shine, make sure you aren't turning it around by accident, and learn to accommodate for the hitlag that is added when hitting opponents, and even more hitlag for when you're attacking shields.

Waveshine:
Same as aerials, pretty much. I regularly wavedash with L and the control stick, and shining in between shouldn't really make you switch up how you do it. It just takes some practice to get from B to Y as quick as possible.

Ledge Hop Double Laser: Down to fast fall off of ledge -> Y -> B -> B (start DIing onto the stage any time after the first B press)
LHDLs seem to have a lot of things to keep track of and time correctly, but it really doesn't. The only thing that is difficult is shooting the first laser as soon as possible after you jump. How high the lasers go is determined by when you jump and how far you dropped before you do. The best way I would recommend to practice is to learn to Short Hop Double Laser with Fox; this will just give you a gauge of how fast you're shooting the first laser. Once you can SHDL with Fox, doing double lasers from the ledge with Falco will seem insanely easy.

Obviously if you use X, most of that won't really help. You can learn to claw, which I think is what you say you are doing. That is simply bringing your right index finger up onto Y or X so you can jump and press B without any trouble at all. I have never used that so I don't know what other impact it may have on your shielding/airdodging/l-cancelling/grabbing, but if it doesn't impact any of those it is definitely a reliable way of doing stuff that requires quick movements between jump and B.

also, is shine OoS easiest by rolling your thumb from Y to B?
See above.

I think I will have to create a tech skill thread so I can cover all the different options and stuff once and for all. lol

unknown522

Some guy
It happens man.

I've had so many embarrassing sets on video that nobody has ever heard or spoken about LOL. Nobody will judge you but yourself, try your best not to lose momentum.

I'm really itching to play some good Melee.
You are your own worst critic.

Have you ever heard that saying?

LOL I agree with all of this.

America can't stand for it!
America! **** Yeah!

When you said "America can't stand for it!" did you slam your hands on the desk? It makes things more epic.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575

I saw a couple of your pools matches...
It looked like you had the momentum of the match at times and then just messed up hardcore and lost a stock :(

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Most players were good enough to at least do semi-good punishes if you fail something. Melee, one fail usually = lots of dmg or death. A lot of players were able to do that. Everyone improved A LOT, it's scary.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Melee is probably the most unforgiving games I know. You hesitated on a tech read for a millisecond? They get away and you lose. Misspaced an aerial by a few pixels? You get grabbed and comboed to death. DI'd a moment too late or aimed your recovery just a few degrees too high/low? Dead.

Melee is like an abusive relationship. It does nothing but tear you down, but goddamned if you aren't right back at it the next day...

unknown522

Some guy
MvC, X-men vs Street Fighter, and games similar to those are the most unforgiving for sure. More than half the cast can infinite, or 0-death combo off a single hits.

They're so broken.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So, I guess I should write a little bit again to see where my thoughts are right now.

Genesis 2 happened. No matter what I say, it happened and I have to deal with it. Fortunately, doing as poorly(by my standards and by sort of the bar my past performances set for myself) as I did is motivating me quite a good deal right now. I feel creative juices flowing that I haven't really felt since around Pound 4. I'm very anxious to make a speedy recovery so that I can see what new concepts and tricks I can come up with for Falco or in general.

Playing a little with Twitch today, I decided to try out aggression that was close to Mango's level of always being in your face. I tried it with Fox though since I like being fast when I do aggression and Fox is silly lol. I think aggression training will help my game out a great deal since most of my top opponents seem to be primarily defensive, and learning how to exploit holes in someone's wall as well as maintain momentum I gain when I'm in the lead will help me a great deal. It's still uncomfortable for me, but that's why I think I need to master it. Why play a patient game if I don't understand the approach I eventually want to make or the one I want to bait? I think I'll keep working with this until I understand how to exploit holes really well, since Twitch is great at playing defensively like most modern players. I just need to keep thinking instead of going into auto pilot or only playing off of instinct. That'll be tough for me since it's quite a bit of brainwork but I feel I could use a stamina improvement anyway so this seems like an all-around solid project.

I encourage anyone reading to always play with a different style or pattern(s) as often as possible. It's great for knowledge expansion and getting inside someone else's head.....or just getting out of your own, which is often the best.

I have a good deal more to write I think but I'll see what people think about this so far.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I always enjoy reading your posts PP, they are very informative. Glad to hear that you are motivated again and I hope you play as good as you want to in the future

Walt

Smash Ace
isn't that why the old evo community called melee "baby marvel"?
I think it was Marvel Jr.

Melee has serious punishes. I was actually talking to someone the other day about what moves have the biggest punishes, top was getting grabbed by both ICs and Rest, both basically kill you. After that it was like Ganon Stomp and both shines. Which either put you in a terrible position, do a ton of damage, or both. Fox uthrow, and getting grabbed by Sheik/Marth were up there too.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I enjoyed the post immensely, PP; you write well, and it's exciting to see inside the mind and strategy of a great American player.

/meatride

Bones0

Smash Legend
I have been trying increasing amounts of aggression since seeing Mango at Genesis, and I'm pretty happy with how it is coming along, but it's still hard to adjust to. I also started out with Fox to try and get a handle on the whole concept, but switching back to Falco, I found it much harder to try and maintain that same sort of downhill momentum of pressure. I tend to either shoot a lot of lasers or very few, and I found that while lasers are often perceived as a very aggressive maneuver that allows for easy approaches, they actually tended to slow down my aggression. It was almost like they give the opponent a moment to realize I'm about to approach, but when I started opting out of lasering so much, I found myself landing a lot more aerials on aggro approaches that they weren't properly spaced for. Of course the downside is you get punished quite a bit when you misspace your approach because you don't have lasers to lock them down as well.

The next thing I would like to work on with being aggressive is working grabs in. Another thing I noticed about my more campy/patient style was that I would grab quite often. Whether they were shield grabs or laser grabs, or whatever, I grabbed a lot. When I tried to be more aggressive, I found that I would opt for shield pressure over shine grabs, but even with good shield pressure I felt like I could have been getting more done with grabs. I would be interested to hear what PP or anyone has to say about using different grabs to keep up that full-tilt aggression. I have felt for a while that stuff like Falco's throw mixups haven't be explored sufficiently (Mahone helped me with that :D). Next time you play a Fox or Falco, bthrow them and just see how flustered they become. Even players that are prepared for throw mixups don't seem to have very effective ways of dealing with them (meaning, they will spot dodge, roll, or shield; all of these options put them on the defensive enabling you to continue your aggression).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah my main concern about it with Falco is that I haven't found the right laser mixups in order to continue aggression. Mango doesn't shoot much because he'd rather lockdown with minimal lasers then use his reads to put out the high priority aerials which allow him to flow into shield pressure well. I think this entire issue sort of delves into what makes Falco different from every other character in that he sort of needs the laser to play a match(which tends to telegraph him a lot) but the absence of that which makes Falco so good is the key to making him very tricky(ways to fake a laser or mix up when you do it can aid your strategy). I don't have any percentages of when to laser or when to fake and I don't know perfect laser strategy yet but that's part of why I'm doing this whole aggression training. I'm trying to find out why changing that stuff up works as it does and how I can tinker with my uses of the laser and my other movements(Falco without lasers needs all the speed or trick boost he can get) so that I can achieve better approaches. I have a feeling about wavedashes but I can't put it into practice until my laser game improves, so that's just an abstract for now.

And yes there's a reason shine grab is so nifty. It kind of lets you choose between that shield pressure or the grab depending on how you're feeling, and can condition the opponent in a strong way since they can't really react to shine grabs. I find myself doing more grabs and shine grabs if I'm playing seriously, but if I'm playing aggressively then I'll find myself doing more shield pressure, like you. If I'm playing well though I've noticed I'll mix a bit of shield pressure in(a bit of nair shine retreating nair usually) so it's not too effective but at least it shows that I'm attempting it. Now, I think that, in order to be fully successful no matter the style, that it would be handy to be mindful of each type of approach/pressure whenever you're on offense. I'll admit my shield pressure is fairly weak, so that's why my approach often suffers, but my grab game is solid so I tend to crutch on that and shine grabs. Mango said shield pressure, like anything else, is a lot of tweaks, so maybe it would be helpful to think of that when working with pressuring. I don't have anything more on the subject atm since I'm sleepy and I haven't fleshed the idea out enough yet, but it's the right stuff to be working on, that's for sure haha.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I find I do better the closer to zero lasers shot per game without not shooting lasers I get.

I tend to only retreating laser, and laser when they dash dance away, or try to jump. especially in falco dittos and against marth. fox, jigglypuff, and mid tiers are the only characters I ever really shoot a ****load of lasers against.

I'm finding myself shooting less and less against peach falcon and jigglypuff as they learn more and more ways around lasers and the more I realize that dashdancing, being aggressive with shield and nairing them out of the air is the better option.

Moooose

Smash Champion
run away, wavedash back, back-air is a cool trick. The wavedash back adds some deceiving length to the bair. They think you're vulnerable then BAM kick to the face

Top Bottom