• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
best seeding ever for PP vs. Armada to happen in the round of 8 at the same time as Mango vs. M2K. what were the other round of 8 matches? Taj vs. MacD and Wobbles vs. HBox. Like, I dunno, maybe I've fallen out of touch with the current form of top players, but damn, I think it's pretty silly that the top 4 players in the world going into this tourney (Armada, M2K, Mango, PP) were seeded such that they would be playing off in the round of 8. It was probably just random seeding to be "fair" or w/e, but it honestly irks me a little bit that those 2 matches happened in the round of 8.

Beat!

Smash Master
What? PP got 2nd seed since he lost to Fly and Tope in 3rd round pools. Pretty sure Hbox and M2K dropped games as well.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
best seeding ever for PP vs. Armada to happen in the round of 8 at the same time as Mango vs. M2K. what were the other round of 8 matches? Taj vs. MacD and Wobbles vs. HBox. Like, I dunno, maybe I've fallen out of touch with the current form of top players, but damn, I think it's pretty silly that the top 4 players in the world going into this tourney (Armada, M2K, Mango, PP) were seeded such that they would be playing off in the round of 8. It was probably just random seeding to be "fair" or w/e, but it honestly irks me a little bit that those 2 matches happened in the round of 8.
it was a result of pools seeding, as you suggested. blah blah, yeah peepee is better than his pool seed indicated, but it's not fair to people who outperformed him in pools if he gets a pass

EWC

Smash Ace
I've heard that PP was really sick going into this; That would explain a lot.

You could definitely tell that he was off during his streamed matches; Especially vs Armada.

Re: Mango's "new type of shield pressure" Uhh I'm pretty sure it's just a change in the way he spaces. Idk there was definitely something substantially different about it, but it's hard to pin down what exactly. The one thing I remember for sure that really impressed me was that he kept doing late spaced nairs on Taj's shield and positioning it so that only the very tip of his shine would clip;

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I have no idea what it stands for
If you want Mango Jman from Pound 4 or 5 Waffles comments on Jman getting DCed (and no one else gets it)

It's just a weird name for fadeaway aerial to bait shield grabs
Nah ***** pretty sure he said PCed (as pc used it lots back in the day)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Mango wasn't doing any shield pressure I've never seen before, but I also didn't see him play any spacies, which is what he said it was for (for covering shines OOS). I figured it was just gonna be multishining.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
PP, you're sooooo good.

it's good to see that you're a human being and you're not perfect all the time.

lol no johns. get better. i effing love your falco.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Wow. The same thing happen to hbox back in Pound V. that sucks. Maybe if he wasn't sick, he probably would have been in GF.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
remember in the interview on stab's channel where mango said "you bring some tactic back from 2007 and it *****" or something like that? well he did.

from what i observed, he brought back the old style of pillaring where you do differently timed dairs in the middle of someone's shield, rather than the popular 2010~2011 tactic of spacing away from shields with nairs and bairs. like mango said, shield pressure is a beautiful thing. you have to mix it up. he did do the pbody stuff that he always does to bait shield grabs.. most of the time, if falcos do that too much, people won't fall for it. however, mango was doing a LOT of conditioning with his shield pressure this tournament, and those mixups are what got him very destructive wins.

heck, there were times where he would just straight up laser forward smash. sometimes people don't block after getting approached by lasers. mango not only has reads, but very excellent ways to condition his opponent.

i know pp definitely had the sickness johns, and we could see it pretty vividly in the way that he played. however, a lot of viewers at the tournament made comparisons to mango that pp wasn't able to mixup his style at all, and that's another reason he lost so badly to armada. we'll see what he has to say about it when he returns to this thread, though.

G

genkaku

what happened in finals with mango armada? I'm guessing mango went fox?
All I saw was a tweet that said mango was up 2-1 followed by one that said that armada won.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes, very exciting set between mango's fox and armada's peach. this set, and the two sets before this with mango's fox vs taj and hbox, were pretty much the greatest fox play the world has seen to date. you had to be there o.o oh God.

Brookman

Smash Hero
props for going. Were you sick on the week over or did it just kinda catch up to you from the trip??

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
he was playing extremely aggressively throughout the set and dictated the pace, but armada punishes hard. there was also an sd or two iirc (he may have one one of the games he sd'ed, can't remember). even though his style was risky/aggro in all his games w/fox, he amped it up a at the end of game 5, which i guess was too much b/c armada was able to evade his approaches more consistently

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm afraid of reading this thread.

I'll do that tomorrow but I have a good deal I want to write about eventually too so there's something positive. =)

Walt

Smash Ace
Yeah Doc Peeps no worries man.

However: L almost 3 stocked PP in pools, then PP came back and won. But still, norcal randoms what uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha. norcal 'randoms' always blow everyone up. toooo much time on our hands, tooo much experience in every single matchup.

too bad we don't get far in majors hahah! unless ur dajuan

JPOBS

Smash Hero
best seeding ever for PP vs. Armada to happen in the round of 8 at the same time as Mango vs. M2K. what were the other round of 8 matches?
pp and m2k both got second seed in their 3rd round pool. No matter what you did there would have been matches between the top 4 at the round of 8

Don't blame the TOs. Blame pp and m2k for losing, and Blane fly amanita for being a ****ing baller

Edit whoops. Other people already addressed this. Whatever.

On another note I'm excited to read what pp has to say.

:phone:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
the first hit of fair actually angles up slightly. if you know the spacing, there are situations vs every character, especially peach, where even just the first hit of fair sets you up for brutal combos.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
the first hit of fair actually angles up slightly. if you know the spacing, there are situations vs every character, especially peach, where even just the first hit of fair sets you up for brutal combos.
It's weird when I normally space a backjump bair to punish a falco nair approach or even upair.. The fair seems to stuff it because it goes slightly further, it's kinda annoying actually lol. I'm still not sure how to punish it if the Falco does it properly.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I really love using fair pretty much any time I see the opponent in the air. Nair only seems to be a better alternative when they are on the ground because it is much better for shield pressure.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I've been a huge advocate for fair since 06/07, and I'm VERY happy people are starting to realize just how underutilized the move it.

:)

Top Bottom