• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V- Discussion, Donations, and Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
It's funny cause your "guys it's just a game this is no big deal" attitude is quite childish. Clown...

Good post Hax.
It is a game though. It was a big deal but since Plank apparently won't pay, I think that the discussion is a pretty over. Move on.

Children? 10k has been stolen from the community and you treat this as if it's some type of joke? Stop this I have to act mature on the net b.s if you where one of the few who hit the money at this event you'd be flipping out to
Acting mature on the internet isn't possible. Don't kid yourself buddy. You're right about one thing though. If I did get hit, I would be flipping out but I didn't so I'm a happy camper :D But like I said above, Plank isn't gonna pay the winners. Why even talk about it when it's been settled?

/just made the angry nerds, angrier. *incoming rage posts!

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I'll believe this when I see it. Good stuff Jv btw. SNES said they were going to hold donation threads/tournaments as well, and that never happened, and Winterfest promised to pay, and we all know what happened with that. It's hard to believe things until they are actually proven at this point. I am with Hax on this one entirely. Props to him for seeing reality and not being afraid to call it out

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It is a game though. It was a big deal but since Plank apparently won't pay, I think that the discussion is a pretty over. Move on.

Acting mature on the internet isn't possible. Don't kid yourself buddy. You're right about one thing though. If I did get hit, I would be flipping out but I didn't so I'm a happy camper :D But like I said above, Plank isn't gonna pay the winners. Why even talk about it when it's been settled?

/just made the angry nerds, angrier. *incoming rage posts!
I don't get you, man. If it were your money would you just simply say "too bad, I'm not getting my large sum of money. *moves on*"? I damn sure wouldn't. I would be taking action. Thats my ****in money and I want that ****. No matter what your opinion is on the subject.

tl;dr

Eat a ****, no one cares about what you have to say. Again, eat a sack of ****s.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Laijin, case in point. if plank has no plans to come up with the majority of this money then i'll continue to be disgusted by every "thank you" he gets.

it's really fake how when plank dropped the bomb on us I heard nothing but "**** you plank," but now that there's a donation thread everyone is forgiving him and thanking him. this donation thread is not plank's, it's JV's. aside from the $100 (1% of what he owes) this is not plank's money, this is your money. I don't understand why you guys are forgiving someone who once stated that he had no plans to pay back anybody just because he had some good fortune when JV made this thread.

this "<3 smash community" sh*t is a disease. once it infects you you become too much of a p*ssy to make even the smallest complaint about the smash community. this isn't a utopia and our community is far from perfect. when someone takes a **** on not only our wallets, but future tournaments' hype trains, enough is enough. grow a pair of balls and let it be known that plank ****ed up. if you can't do this then please, at least don't thank him
I'm pretty sure it is well known that I ****ed up. When the whole issue happened and as you just stated everyone was like "**** you plank" as well as it being a huge ordeal/drama/etc. Everyone knows about what happened already, and it already destroyed any sort of reputation I had in the community obviously. The difference is some people are understanding to the situation and are sympathetic and want to try to move forward and get through it and help the winners get something for their winnings rather than beating a dead horse because obviously I don't have the money. I don't ask for any praise nor do I feel I deserve any, I just want to help any TANGIBLE way that I actually can, rather than acting on theory and hindsight which will not help get us anywhere.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not sympathetic towards anything you do. I understand all the previous posts you made, but you still have -100% of my sympathy. I would never attend one of your tournaments, I would NEVER do anything to help you. You made me waste $400, and my flights weren't expensive compared to people like Axe and Armada, who won significantly more than me.

JV is a man for trying to do this, but Plank doesn't deserve any sympathy. If you hosted hundreds of tournaments and 4 DIFFERENT nationals, you should ****ing understand the tendency of smashers to cram/bail. You are dumb for not doing that or at least having a cheaper venue. How much was the final bill, anyway?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Laijin, case in point. if plank has no plans to come up with the majority of this money then i'll continue to be disgusted by every "thank you" he gets.

it's really fake how when plank dropped the bomb on us I heard nothing but "**** you plank," but now that there's a donation thread everyone is forgiving him and thanking him. this donation thread is not plank's, it's JV's. aside from the $100 (1% of what he owes) this is not plank's money, this is your money. I don't understand why you guys are forgiving someone who once stated that he had no plans to pay back anybody just because he had some good fortune when JV made this thread.

this "<3 smash community" sh*t is a disease. once it infects you you become too much of a p*ssy to make even the smallest complaint about the smash community. this isn't a utopia and our community is far from perfect. when someone takes a **** on not only our wallets, but future tournaments' hype trains, enough is enough. grow a pair of balls and let it be known that plank ****ed up. if you can't do this then please, at least don't thank him
This would be a good example of not moving forward.

Bro. We have two options right now:
1. Plank leaves the community and contributes absolutely nothing to the community because everyone hates him.
2. Plank helps by donating money into the donation pot and helps to host tournaments in order to raise money.

Really. Those are the only two options. I'm trying to be realistic here. Nobody is saying you're wrong. Its just theres absolutely no point in beating on a dead tree. The point of this thread is to move forward with the best possible outcome. We all know "Plank ****ed up etc etc". Lets just move on and learn from it.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I definitely understand how you feel Esam given the circumstances....they ended up charging me a little over 15k in the end.

And I agree with you, I am totally dumb for assuming that smashers would comply with laws/constant posts I made to avoid cramming. I really thought that people would listen, but I am overly naive and that is one of my biggest flaws in life which obviously came out here. I definitely understood the tendancy, which is why I tried to make such a point to make it aware it couldn't happen here, I just had a little bit more faith than I should have that people would comply.

Although you say you would never go, which I understand, some players still want me to host smaller tournaments to help raise the money, and as long as I can find a cheap/free venue to be able to raise some money to help I am going to do that.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
Hax, in my opinion, there are some who are co-dependent of the smash community if not the large majority of the players who want to keep the competitive scene alive. It is the responsibility of both players and TO's to execute a tournament bearing in mind that players who win are there to get paid, and that mistakes can happen where poor organization can happen...

Yes it is the responsibility for the TO to handle the situation in a timely manner, but players decide to flip a **** anyway With A Very LARGE RANGE OF BEHAVIOR. Let me put emphasis on that word. Some people decide it proper to scorn, while others find it by donating or giving a "helping hand of encouragement" to someone by definition Doesn't deserve it.

Regardless of your actions.

Motive is what matters. Motive drives whether we are going to thrive as a community or drop out because your so mad at what has happened.

MATURITY IS NEEDED HERE. I DON'T SEE IT.

Beat!

Smash Master
Plank, very few people are still complaining (at least compared to what it was like a week ago), and it's good that you're trying to fix your mistakes. The community will hopefully put this behind them in time.

But please stop using the martyr card.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
I'm little confused. So the only reason why winners didn't get their prize money, is that there was more than 4 people in hotel rooms? Just curious how that can make the difference, which is so big as 10 000$ ? Can somebody explain me?

idea

Smash Master
I'm little confused. So the only reason why winners didn't get their prize money, is that there was more than 4 people in hotel rooms? Just curious how that can make the difference, which is so big as 10 000$ ? Can somebody explain me?
basically, he signed a contract with the hotel saying his event would fill X number of rooms, and that he would pay additional charges if it didn't. and...it didn't. and the charges were enormous.

(unless i'm missing something)

t3h Icy

Smash Master

This .

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
No not the only reason at all, it just helped contribute since the venue price was calculated on a scale of how many rooms was rented, with more people cramming into rooms=less rooms rented=more expensive.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
No not the only reason at all, it just helped contribute since the venue price was calculated on a scale of how many rooms was rented, with more people cramming into rooms=less rooms rented=more expensive.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Mm.. this has been prob asked a thousand times before, but what were the other reasons besides that room-cramming?

Anyways, I think Plank has had enough "beating" from the scene, so even I understand some people will not forgive him, I think we should stop bashing now. He made a mistake, and he admitted it, and tries to somehow compensate the issue over time I guess. Also players who did not obey the rules (even they knew the rules) should get some **** to carry also.

For to seal this properly, I think it would be nice to see ALL the expenses from the tourney on a one single post, so everyone would clearly see where the money went and why. ( If this has not happened yet I mean)

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have seen couple of his calculations, but after them there are always posts pointing out: "you didn't take this and this and this... in to calculation". And according to last page post, even he don't seem to know how much you got money from people total.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
iv taken every number provided to us, and it just doesn't add up

im not trying to really start anyting, i just think people deserve to know the $ calculations since prizes weren't paid out
and i really don't see how you didn't bring in more than $15,000 in registrations.

more plank question dodging lol

this feels like one giant game of mafia <_<

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Ignored important question is ignored?

Idk I'm not so good with the 4chan ****
More like annoying TO is ignored, he's done nothing but make my life more difficult in these threads even though people constantly refuting his arguments, including myself. I'm done with it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ive never read anyone refute his arguments, alphazealot admitted he was wrong and king's numbers didnt add up either

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
If you are annoyed by my comments, all you have to do is lay out all of the numbers clearly yourself to everyone, refuting the math I did. You've mentioned how much the hotel charged you. You mentioned your extra costs. You have yet to mention how much money you had though from everyone.

If I really wanted to I could go through the edit histories of your tournament thread and find out the date that every single person signed up on, therefor telling me how much they paid, and what events the signed up for and calculate it fairly precisely.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Plank,

No one is accusing you of anything. I know Chibo personally, and I know his posts can be taken as accusations a lot of the time, but he's honestly not accusing you here. He's just trying to figure out how the numbers really add up. To be honest, I wasn't suspicious at all in the beginning, but the fact that you have been dodging each and every question he has asked you about the numbers, are started to sway me a little bit.

You're the only one with the official numbers in front of you. No one else has them. Chibo was able to generate an estimated report with his estimated numbers, and you can't even take the time to generate a REAL report with your REAL numbers? You made a huge mistake with all of this, and a lot of people are missing a lot of money here, and you can't even take like 30 minutes out of your day and show people how much everything cost you and how much you are in debt?

I feel like if you did all of that more people would be inclined to help. I know you aren't looking for any charity, but you'd at least have a hell of a lot more people on your side.

I don't know about you, but if i didn't take anything, I'd sure as hell prove it to the utmost extent if I had people questioning me about the opposite. Not doing this looks incredibly shady in my opinion.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It shouldn't take much to produce a detailed and full account of income and expenses - with accurate numbers for each. The winners deserve at least this much information. Scratch that, anyone that attended does.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
the hotel isn't going to tell anyone about its contracts. Don't be silly

Orion*

Smash Researcher
More like annoying TO is ignored, he's done nothing but make my life more difficult in these threads even though people constantly refuting his arguments, including myself. I'm done with it.
Actually, as far as I know from reading his posts he's not even arguing anything, and nobody has conclusively refuted anything he said. Yes, he's made your life annoying because he's putting factual **** out that you "should" take the time out of your life to answer precisely.

However, if he's the person annoying you (by just posting numbers) and not the people that need to be paid out to, the whole situation, or the community in general then that just looks like another problem. I personally also want to believe everything you have told the community, but I'm not stupid and I prefer facts and numbers.

Please read this and consider posting everything in detail

Plank,

No one is accusing you of anything. I know Chibo personally, and I know his posts can be taken as accusations a lot of the time, but he's honestly not accusing you here. He's just trying to figure out how the numbers really add up. To be honest, I wasn't suspicious at all in the beginning, but the fact that you have been dodging each and every question he has asked you about the numbers, are started to sway me a little bit.

You're the only one with the official numbers in front of you. No one else has them. Chibo was able to generate an estimated report with his estimated numbers, and you can't even take the time to generate a REAL report with your REAL numbers? You made a huge mistake with all of this, and a lot of people are missing a lot of money here, and you can't even take like 30 minutes out of your day and show people how much everything cost you and how much you are in debt?

I feel like if you did all of that more people would be inclined to help. I know you aren't looking for any charity, but you'd at least have a hell of a lot more people on your side.

I don't know about you, but if i didn't take anything, I'd sure as hell prove it to the utmost extent if I had people questioning me about the opposite. Not doing this looks incredibly shady in my opinion.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*waits for the list*

If you don't end up posting it, I'm convinced you stole the money.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Plank,

This, seriously.

I ran a small Halo tournament at Rutgers a year back, and after the tournament, the 4th place finishers were complaining about not getting paid. That made no sense to me, seeing as I had carefully calculated the amount of money I owed the school for providing the venue, the prizes, and re-counted everyone's entry fees like 1000 times. I had then distributed the money perfectly in accordance with the pot that was agreed on. I had all my numbers written down and saved on Excel, and was able to show to everyone who participated that I had not kept any money, as well as providing a copy of the charges for the venue fee the school charged me, as well as detailed calculations on the entry fees based on the amount of teams that attended (there was no hotel, one day tournament). Turns out a member on the 4th team was in debt or something, and was lying to try to get some extra cash (-.-).

Basically Plank, you can simply hit up an Excel spreadsheet for like 30 mins, or even scan then copy/paste any/all paperwork you have that shows the exact amounts everyone is asking for, and thereby show how the numbers add up. If you refuse to do so, it can only cast doubt towards your situation, and regardless of how many tournaments you've held in the past, people will forever be wary of attending anything you host until you clear yourself of doubt in this situation.

Hax

Smash Champion
Plank, do i really have to tell an adult how to make money? rather than hosting your tournaments which really only speed up the donation process and take money from the community, go to work on saturdays. eat fast food. I don't know what to tell you

your goal should be to eliminate the donation process, not speed it up. the donation process should be our last resort, not our Plan A.

leffen

Smash Champion
*waits for the list*

If you don't end up posting it, I'm convinced you stole the money.
this

I hope/don't believe that Plank stole it, but just because hes maaaybee gonna host tournaments that are totally free for him and only takes money from the community ( extra fees ) you shouldnt dismiss the thought of him aiming for the money in the first place. I know thats what I would've done to free me of suspicion.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here is an example of how to explain costs (From the OC3 Results Thread):
Arash on the tournament OC3 from 2007 said:
Now for what I can assume all of you want to hear:

Officially there were 228 entrants. The singles indeed says 265, but that was because the singles pools were lost/deleted and I had to key in everything Sunday afternoon. I had to go back to the pools posted in the first page of the thread which still had many unconfirmed entrants and people not going, and since I had to start as soon as possible, I ended up hand-drawing pools based off of those pools in the first post (many thanks to Jenn and Chesterr01). Tio wouldn't let us delete the extra entrants after a while so to save time I made all the people that weren't there an automatic 2 wins against everyone that was there in the pool.

So 228 entrants, 8 of which (the staff) didn't pay entry and 7 of which paid $100 entry at the door due to not registering on time. (220 x 75) + (7 x 25) = $16,325 to work with. With me so far? Good.

Prizes as you know were: $1250 for 1st singles, $1200 for 1st doubles, $600 for 2nd and $300 for third. 1250 + 1200 + (600 x 2) + (300 x 2) = $4250 [for those that are wondering, the AIM conversation with Mew2King only receiving $200 was a fake, he did indeed get $600].

The rentals for the 15-seater van and the minivan we rented from Enterprise Rent-a-Car, with insurance, added up to $1349.85 for 5 days of rental, or $269.97 per day. Feel free to check with Enterprise Rent-a-Car (the one in Los Angeles) if you think this is inaccurate.

Of course, to drive these cars you need gasoline. Gasoline plus parking for all the staff members that drove to pick up people, shuttle them to rooms with showers, picking up TVs, chairs, etc. etc. came out to roughly $824 (give or take a few cents).

Food for all 3 days came out to $2624.51. Friday we got hot dogs, plastic cups, paper towels, toilet paper, paper plates, ice, drinks, and pizza, but since we got started late, we saved the hot dogs for later. Saturday we had the Subway, a 2nd round of drinks, more ice, as well as the hot dogs. Sunday we had more drinks, cookies, Chinese food, and pizza. If this needs to be broken down more, then I'll break it down in more detail later; it's late and I'm tired.

The rest of the things included motel room for showers (220), chair rental (120), trophies and medallions (480), wristbands, tickets, crafts to make bob-omb and egg and poke-ball and Tony's gift (60), extension cords and surge bars (110), tables (250), an extra VCR (55), microphone and grill rental (361 for 2 1/2 days) all added up to: $1656.

The venue costed us $6000 for 3 days, including overnight. Anybody who lives in Southern California can attest to the fact that real estate is too expensive, and the fact that we had the ability to sleep there overnight was good for us, since that was the biggest gripe people had with OC2.

So our revenue (16,325) - our costs (16,704.36) = our profits (-379.36)
Basically, Plank needs an analysis that ends with this:

Arash said:
So our revenue (16,325) - our costs (16,704.36) = our profits (-379.36)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
LOL, although arash was probably telling the truth It's hard to believe that the 5 day rental of a 15 seater van + gas cost around 2 grand

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Plank, do i really have to tell an adult how to make money? rather than hosting your tournaments which really only speed up the donation process and take money from the community, go to work on saturdays. eat fast food. I don't know what to tell you

your goal should be to eliminate the donation process, not speed it up. the donation process should be our last resort, not our Plan A.
i completely understand where ur coming from but this is just too ironic coming from you haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom