• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V- Discussion, Donations, and Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
tell that to every professional gamer out there then. It's a fine job if you get paid for it like you're supposed to. When you don't get paid that is no one's fault except the TOs, but unfortunately fault and who are the victims are 2 entirely different things

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i vote for So Fatal to be completely out of what ever this pot amounts to because of the way he handled himself on the pound prizes thread
qtd. in a post by ksizl4life cause he edited all his posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Fatal View Post
ATTN: Everyone who Paid for pound within 2weeks or less of Reg closing you can dispute the charge on PayPal. This will work out if people do it with me. Dispute that you did not get what you paid for and then select "Other tangible goods" and write about what happend.

you said you actually did this and got back $60+ so ya
so don't try to argue why brawl should be included in this pot (which it must be for all practicality anyway)

just sayin

M@v

Subarashii!
Wasn't here, so I'm not going to point fingers. To plank's defense, seems he was kinda SOL by the venue doing this. Also you have a long and decorated history as a TO, so I extremely doubt any malicious intent here. Those saying he's stealing, seriously stfu.

At the same time though, when you promise prize money to others and use it for your OWN personal debts, there's an issue.
I know its a much, MUCH smaller tourney, but Happy smashin' valley, that I ran in early Feburary(M2k you were there), I was actually about $70 short for paying the venue since weather, ice storms, etc. killed attendance, but I didn't take the funds away from the pot. I understand this is a much bigger scale, but it does seem like you payed the people you feared more.

So Fatal

Smash Master
i vote for So Fatal to be completely out of what ever this pot amounts to because of the way he handled himself on the pound prizes thread
qtd. in a post by ksizl4life cause he edited all his posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Fatal View Post
ATTN: Everyone who Paid for pound within 2weeks or less of Reg closing you can dispute the charge on PayPal. This will work out if people do it with me. Dispute that you did not get what you paid for and then select "Other tangible goods" and write about what happend.

you said you actually did this and got back $60+ so ya
so don't try to argue why brawl should be included in this pot (which it must be for all practicality anyway)

just sayin
Lmao, I was trolling my *** off because people started to annoy me like lajjin and w.e and someone actually called me out on it. I also edited the post to say people who placed. This was before any donation fund was being made and I was upset I was not getting the money,

That's one of the stupidest comparisons you could make, how is it like that at all?
not worth it

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i know it was trollin and i'm not really mad at you or anything.
i mean i enjoy reading most of the trolling posts here on trollboards but lets try and keep it light from now on instead of that kind of stuff.
like this
[/URL][/IMG]

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Apparently college park had an issue with someone getting drunk in their venue or something so it cant be used again at this point. I will continue to try and find something else, maybe someone at UMBC would be able to help me get one of those game rooms officially. I'll keep everyone updated if anything looks promising, with the amount of attendants we get on average in MD/VA it has to be FREE basically, so i'm going to look at colleges mostly and try to get something free

Smash Master
Smash Community != Free Money.
Quit being greedy.
I'm apathetic about this whole situation and I'm basically reading these threads for curiosity's sake...

but dude every post you make is a ridiculous strawman. Please stop. The prospect that you might actually think that what you're saying is insightful is driving me crazy.

So Fatal

Smash Master
I'm apathetic about this whole situation and I'm basically reading these threads for curiosity's sake...

but dude every post you make is a ridiculous strawman. Please stop. The prospect that you might actually think that what you're saying is insightful is driving me crazy.
agreed 10/10

idea

Smash Master
if smash is your job then it's a job with a low maximum salary, no opportunity for advancement (there's nothing besides "player"), no pension, no benefits, and no one official to talk to if there's any problem getting your paycheck.

of course, it's fun, but it's financially unstable. better off going to tournaments and working part-time at a grocery store or something.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Donations are up to date as of now. I did not want to be the guy begging for donations. I know no one is rich. But I do think we can do better as a community. Even if you just throw in 5 bucks or 3 bucks if we get the community to do so on a large scale we can help make things right for players.

It was also nice to see Plank post and have a willness to try to find a way to make good.

JV, should the people that won money send their paypal emails to you?
Sure, they can. I was just gonna draft a pm to send to all the winners once I got percentages down, figured out how much money was in, and ready to send it out requesting their paypals. But if anyone wants to send it to me ahead of time feel free.

Can you post the full percentages of everyone? That way we know how much of each player got which pot?
Yea, hope to have it up within a couple days here. Just need to coordinate with the TOs some to make sure everything and all the numbers are accurate.

BTW, as a prize winner was really cool to see you donate. Sets a really good example for the community

I'd be willing to donate, but I agree with Eggm in that I only want to donate to the Melee prize winners. No offense to the Brawl players, I just don't see why part of my money should go to a community that I frankly don't care very much about.
While I understand you guys are part of the Melee community and want to take care of the Melee community at the end of the day we are all part of the smash community. Everyone spent their time playing, practicing, traveling and is just as deserving of getting their prize money as the next person. This isnt about what game, but about trying to make good on what happened. I am not going to take donations for a single game or player. I do not think that is fair to everyone else. Would be unfortunate if that stops anyone from donating.

It's not being split equally, factoring in the exact percentage of the TOTAL pot that each player won, whether brawl or melee, takes care of the "splitting issue".

For instance, Dr. PP won 45% of the melee pot, which would factor out to be somewhere like, I dunno, 29 or 30% of the TOTAL pot.

Everyone still gets what they deserve, but I understand that certain people want only to donate to a certain game...
Right. I will try to do it exactly how it would have happened at the event itself (just percentage of amounts assuming donations dont get to be enough to cover the full amounts). So given that Melee had more people the 1st place % for Melee (Dr PP) will be larger than the 1st place % the winner Brawl will receive (Ally)

JV, you really did an awesome thing organizing this thread! I seriously think you should make an exception for Armada in your call for players to turn over money that's already been donated to them on an individual basis, though. His attendance at the tournament was--and will be, at future tournaments--contingent upon him being able to afford the cost of his flights, which were undoubtedly much costlier than any other prizewinner's. Also, he is in actual debt now because, not knowing any better, he banked on that prize money when he had a friend pay for the cost of his travel to his next major U.S. tournament.
Thanks. And yea I know he came over from Europe and had expenses over and above other players. Having him at tournaments here is exciting, helps get both Europe and US something extra to cheer about and follow. I think everyone digs having Armada at tournaments here and it would be really unfortunate if something like this could prevent that from happening. I know he even borrowed money to get over to Pound. But at the end of the day I still do not think he is anymore deserving of prize money than any other player. They all are just as deserving as each other.

But yea, like I said I think it would be a great gesture if they wanted to put in to the global pound donation pool if anyone has received individual donations. If they wanted to explain their situation or anything and give other players the option to accept on not that would be fine. But at least everyone who was left out would receive their fair percentage of the communities donations based on what they earned at Pound. But like I said I cant force anyone to do so. The decision is ultimately theirs. Just want them or the people that donated to let me know how much they did receive or send so I can make sure we I do hand out money I can account for this.

Laijin

Smash Hero
While I understand you guys are part of the Melee community and want to take care of the Melee community at the end of the day we are all part of the smash community. Everyone spent their time playing, practicing, traveling and is just as deserving of getting their prize money as the next person. This isnt about what game, but about trying to make good on what happened. I am not going to take donations for a single game or player. I do not think that is fair to everyone else. Would be unfortunate if that stops anyone from donating.
Just going to touch on this.
A lot of players do not want to be associated with the brawl community or do not consider the brawl community as a "shared" community with the melee community. I know of a lot of players who view the two communities as completely separate.
Before that argument comes up, look at this way. We all went to the same event. So the donations are for the winners for the entire event, not who won in what game.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Just going to touch on this.
A lot of players do not want to be associated with the brawl community or do not consider the brawl community as a "shared" community with the melee community. I know of a lot of players who view the two communities as completely separate.
Before that argument comes up, look at this way. We all went to the same event. So the donations are for the winners for the entire event, not who won in what game.
dude just stop posting man...

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why brawl and melee can't get along...

Hungrybox plays a lot gayer than he actually is. It's nice to see him donate even though he already lost a bajillion dollars. <3

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well not to be too rough, I'm going to have to agree anyway. The event was a smash event whoever played what is up to the people. Also everyone who won... lost money so it should be that way. Choosing sides is almost being racist and it's ridiculous.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
whoa whoa i think comparing it to racism is a bit of a stretch there kage LOL

Laijin

Smash Hero
You're getting pretty annoying. Might have to add you to my ignore list pretty soon.

Anyways. Yea. Like I was saying. We all went to the same event and the winners all lost money. So everyone should donate for the sake of the event rather than what community the winners belong to.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
whoa whoa i think comparing it to racism is a bit of a stretch there kage LOL
Nah I don't think so because it is the exact same "Separation" or whatever like.. you won't help someone just because they are different? Screw that honestly. This world needs to be more whole.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I will paypal the funds directly to JV for any tournaments that I run for this cause. I also am waiting for my funds to go to paypal to transfer because Im going to donate $100 on top of that to start out.

Hax

Smash Champion
not to kill the mood but Plank shouldn't be getting all the praise you guys are giving him. i'm all for people being paid back within a matter of 6 to 12 months (which is pretty generous imo) but be realistic; his tournaments are not only gonna make $200-300 each at best meaning his plan is gonna take ~5 years, but none of the money (other than his $100 donation) is even coming out of his pocket.

i know you guys like to wear the "<3 smash community" guise and i know this post seems negative, but believe me i'm trying to help. if this is how you guys respond to someone that stole $10,000 from your community then you can kiss competitive smash goodbye. if i hear another "good stuff plank" i'm gonna flip a ****... you guys are thanking him for forcing even more money out of your pockets with these tournaments of his. until i hear that plank is working on his own to pay the winners, i'm not impressed

Laijin

Smash Hero
not to kill the mood but Plank shouldn't be getting all the praise you guys are giving him. i'm all for people being paid back within a matter of 6 to 12 months (which is pretty generous imo) but be realistic; his tournaments are not only gonna make $200-300 each at best meaning his plan gonna take ~5 years, but none of the money (other than his $100 donation) is even coming out of his pocket.

i know you guys like to wear the "<3 smash community" guise and i know this post seems negative, but believe me i'm trying to help. if this is how you guys respond to someone that stole $10,000 from your community then you can kiss competitive smash goodbye. if i hear another "good stuff plank" i'm gonna flip a ****... you guys are thanking him for forcing even more money out of your pockets with these tournaments of his. until i hear that plank is working on his own to pay the winners, i'm not impressed
This conversation was bought up in the other thread. Like honestly, where you expect Plank to come up with the money if not by hosting tournaments?
No really. I wanna hear your answer.
In my opinion this is the best possible outcome.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It's not really important how he gets the money. He should be responsible for paying all of it. But I guess a little smash community welfare works too. The winners just want some of the money they're owed and I don't blame them. But it's Plank who owes them, not the community. Kudos for putting in 1% of what he owes lol.

That said, people can do what they want with their money and I'm impressed with the generosity of many smashers.

rhan

Smash Hero
I honestly agree with Hax.

I'm not mad at Plank. It's understandable why he did it. But I don't see why we should put more money toward something that most people already put a lot of money toward to anyway.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
This conversation was bought up in the other thread. Like honestly, where you expect Plank to come up with the money if not by hosting tournaments?
No really. I wanna hear your answer.
In my opinion this is the best possible outcome.
Sellin green *****. Duh.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I honestly agree with Hax.

I'm not mad at Plank. It's understandable why he did it. But I don't see why we should put more money toward something that most people already put a lot of money toward to anyway.
How about cus Melee is ****ing awesome and you really enjoy playing? It's a tournament, 99% of the people who go pay money to go and then never get anything in return anyways so realistically if those(Pound V fund) tournaments happen the only people actually making a sacrifice are the people who could realistically win them.

Hax

Smash Champion
Laijin, case in point. if plank has no plans to come up with the majority of this money then i'll continue to be disgusted by every "thank you" he gets.

it's really fake how when plank dropped the bomb on us I heard nothing but "**** you plank," but now that there's a donation thread everyone is forgiving him and thanking him. this donation thread is not plank's, it's JV's. aside from the $100 (1% of what he owes) this is not plank's money, this is your money. I don't understand why you guys are forgiving someone who once stated that he had no plans to pay back anybody just because he had some good fortune when JV made this thread.

this "<3 smash community" sh*t is a disease. once it infects you you become too much of a p*ssy to make even the smallest complaint about the smash community. this isn't a utopia and our community is far from perfect. when someone takes a **** on not only our wallets, but future tournaments' hype trains, enough is enough. grow a pair of balls and let it be known that plank ****ed up. if you can't do this then please, at least don't thank him

rhan

Smash Hero
How about cus Melee is ****ing awesome and you really enjoy playing? It's a tournament, 99% of the people who go pay money to go and then never get anything in return anyways so realistically if those(Pound V fund) tournaments happen the only people actually making a sacrifice are the people who could realistically win them.
99% of the time we expect winners to be paid also. We don't want our money going to anything else but the deserving people. If people have money to blow to donate then go for it. I already spent what I had just going to Pound.

I had loads of fun and got to chill with cool people that I don't normally see. So it's not all bad. But if I knew this was going to happen I probably would have crammed people into 1 room too instead of renting out 2 rooms and not making a profit out of it.

Malcolm.O

Smash Cadet
This Pound **** is still being talked about? Let it go and move on, children.
Children? 10k has been stolen from the community and you treat this as if it's some type of joke ? Stop this I have to act mature on the net b.s if you where one of the few who hit the money at this event you'd be flipping out to

So Fatal

Smash Master
Laijin, case in point. if plank has no plans to come up with the majority of this money then i'll continue to be disgusted by every "thank you" he gets.

it's really fake how when plank dropped the bomb on us I heard nothing but "**** you plank," but now that there's a donation thread everyone is forgiving him and thanking him. this donation thread is not plank's, it's JV's. aside from the $100 (1% of what he owes) this is not plank's money, this is your money. I don't understand why you guys are forgiving someone who once stated that he had no plans to pay back anybody just because he had some good fortune when JV made this thread.

this "<3 smash community" sh*t is a disease. once it infects you you become too much of a p*ssy to make even the smallest complaint about the smash community. this isn't a utopia and our community is far from perfect. when someone takes a **** on not only our wallets, but future tournaments' hype trains, enough is enough. grow a pair of balls and let it be known that plank ****ed up. if you can't do this then please, at least don't thank him
Lmao he is still posting. Good **** Hax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom