• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
plank made the right call, I wouldn't trust this horrible community to bail him out, seeing as some are threatening to sue. I'm really disappointed in the reaction.
he tried to help, and has been a driving force behind this community for many years, the community owes him one.
uhh if the right call is stealing 10 grand on his own mistake, then yeah, good call.
So the community is horrible, but plank isn't for stealing more money than anyone ever has in this community? he's now a contributing force to what you call this community horrible.

so because hes been a driving force prior, it means he gets one MASSIVE mistake where people that don't wanna help are forced into giving him money? They didn't even have an option to help him.
Just because he's helped before doesn't make his current mistakes voided.

do people not realize that all of this is happening because of plank? like he wasn't forced into some situation without getting into that situation himself. all this hotel bull wasn't a required part of this event.

how can anyone support him at this time?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Personally, I think if the person who got ****ed the most, Dr. Peepee, is willing to work with Plank and let him redeem himself, then there's no reason why everyone else can't. The way I see it, Plank ****ed up and dealt with things very poorly, but he's being treated as if he committed a deliberate act of depravity.

It's nice that we have all these crusaders ready to nail plank to the floor, if you'll excuse the tongue-in-cheek pun, but it's doing nothing. This can be rectified, but with positivity and productivity. Plank got ****ed out of all this, too. He made a judgmental error. He's human. Cut him some slack for God's sake.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its amazing to see people still accusing plank of stealing.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
its amazing to see people still accusing plank of stealing.
i am still accusing him. he used money that wasn't his [if this was genesis and plank was hosting, there would've been no placing money to steal since it would be given out right after]
to make up for a mistake that was his fault.

where's your argument against that?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
i am still accusing him. he used money that wasn't his [if this was genesis and plank was hosting, there would've been no placing money to steal since it would be given out right after]
to make up for a mistake that was his fault.

where's your argument against that?
there is no legal obligation to pay the winner. since no contract was signed, he owes no money. its an understood rule that you pay the winners. plank did not steal the money,plus he does not have it. it was used to pay the hotel. the hotel on the other hand, had a contract with plank. if he did not pay, they would take legal action

LLDL

Smash Hero
Please stop with the no legal obligation retort. Let's say that there was no pre-registration, and everyone paid in cash. Plank would be in the same exact financial situation that he is now. The only difference would be that he would have already paid all of the winners in cash and the winners would have gotten their money. In order for plank to get himself out of debt would have been to refuse cash payouts, and try to say "I have no obligation to pay you". How do you think that would fly with the players? Instead, he did it from the comfort of a computer screen.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Please stop with the no legal obligation retort. Let's say that there was no pre-registration, and everyone paid in cash. Plank would be in the same exact financial situation that he is now. The only difference would be that he would have already paid all of the winners in cash and the winners would have gotten their money. In order for plank to get himself out of debt would have been to refuse cash payouts, and try to say "I have no obligation to pay you". How do you think that would fly with the players? Instead, he did it from the comfort of a computer screen.

people payed at the venue, so you fail. he could have payed some of the prize out, but didn't

Merkuri

Smash Lord
there is no legal obligation to pay the winner. since no contract was signed, he owes no money. its an understood rule that you pay the winners. plank did not steal the money,plus he does not have it. it was used to pay the hotel. the hotel on the other hand, had a contract with plank. if he did not pay, they would take legal action
I really hate seeing posts like this, has anyone who posts stuff like this taken a single law class. Contracts exist whether or not something was written and signed. As long as there is reasonable expectation for compensation of services then a contract exists. I'm not saying people would win if they took Plank to course, but they definitely do have a case.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
what kind of tool are you to judge the rightness of something on the terms of whether its legal or illegal

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I really hate seeing posts like this, has anyone who posts stuff like this taken a single law class. Contracts exist whether or not something was written and signed. As long as there is reasonable expectation for compensation of services then a contract exists. I'm not saying people would win if they took Plank to course, but they definitely do have a case.
plank took money and provided an event to an audience. that's what his case will be. (I believe) he put no prize pay outs on the front page for a reason.

anyone that has a case against him will say " I expected money based on previous events" which means nothing in court

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
I'm (Helping, but mainly) hosting Smash for CEO2011.

I'm telling you that it is going to be literally incredible...

there are a ****load of sponsors and financial backing, plus an incredible venue.

Let's not let Pound 5 hold back other Professionally run events.

Please come out to it, Jebailey (googlemyname) has put quite a bit of work into it, considering that he made it an EVO Official event (which there's only like 5 of per year.)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296882

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
plank took money and provided an event to an audience. that's what his case will be. (I believe) he put no prize pay outs on the front page for a reason.

anyone that has a case against him will say " I expected money based on previous events" which means nothing in court
..wtf. i wasn't asking you for a court view of whether or not he stole it, your just finding loopholes in a court system. im saying from a REALISTIC PERSPECTIVE, he stole the money. im not trying to play law games with you here rofl

i say plank stole the money, your argument against that is ;
"there is no legal obligation to pay the winner. since no contract was signed, he owes no money."
really? that's why your amazed people are accusing plank of stealing? interesting

in other news,
i guarantee people are gonna be sooo cautious of their winnings after major tournys now, like wanting it immediately after.

i can't believe people actually think he didn't steal the money.

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
And we have legal grounds how?

I'm not saying what he did was right, though I do sympathize. The worst part is the communities reaction.

I'm saying there's not a great case.

You give him 20 bucks. and a verbal agreement, can you prove it. If plank goes to court and says something different then there's just a contradiction.

A judge could always disagree but it's not like there's a great great grounds for a case.

We have nothing definitive, we have nothing defined.

Cash is worse, no documentation, you can't even prove who gave money.

EDIT: You can take anything to court, but you're not going to win.

Litigation is just wrong in this case.

We can solve this internally, i still have faith in this community, even though we're all failing.

Notice Armada Hbox and Peepee have said NOTHING but positivity.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
This community is even more ******** than I thought.

I wonder how many Street Fighter folks have read about all this. :awesome:

ADHD

Smash Hero
This community is even more ******** than I thought.

I wonder how many Street Fighter folks have read about all this. :awesome:
And I wonder how many laughed at what happened to us because they hate us. If this happened to them, would they not act any different?

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Charlesz, Doomolish, xIblisx, _Yes!_, Nitrix, blizzardbeam, HolyNightmare, Thunderhorse+, Pengie, darkrain, Matador, Laijin, t3h Icy, Scidadle, booshk, xios73, Demonique, Echo, Pen_island, smakis, Red the Ghost, The King, Xavier Rythos, GameStation aka C4?!, Teczero, Ocho(*8*), Codi, TeeVee, Shun Goku Satsu, Run, ScaryLB59, Scar, DJRome, TaFoKiNtS, yummynbeefy, Unlucky XIII, stopNstart, Matt07

Lookin like Pound 5 info dump

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Scidadle is easily the coolest person in your post.

Also street fighter players hate brawl players more then melee players.

Also. Sucks for the winners out there. Cause looks like in winning you actually lost. Except Dr. PeePee, who is a man. Plank coulda just canceled the even and you woulda had a useless plane ticket to VA. So. Feel lucky.

I understand a lot of you guys have financial problems. But you shouldn't go to a smash tournament expecting to bank if you can't even afford the ticket, no one is immune to being upset.

Laijin

Smash Hero
And I wonder how many laughed at what happened to us because they hate us. If this happened to them, would they not act any different?
Actually.
Yes. They would act completely differently.
In fact, they have multiple times in the past.

This is their solution:
http://shoryuken.com/f7/tournament-promoters-venues-avoid-197094/

However, a lot of the community would disagree to add Plank to such a list seeing as how he made one mistake amongst lots of good tournaments and the people on that list generally only hosted one event and failed terribly.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well, if anyone disagreed with putting plank on that hypothetical list then they need to re-evaluate the point of such a list...

BSP

Smash Legend
So unless plank owes you, why are you here? What is *****ing on SWF going to accomplish?

This thread is blowing this situation out of the water really. It's a big deal, yes, but it should be between the winners and plank, not plank and SWF when it doesn't concern most of us...

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Before you use that shoryuken list as an argument, be sure to read some of the actual threads that are linked in the OP, where there are instances of people threatening to take home monitors as collateral for the money they weren't receiving for winning.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Wow this is nuts. So, we get people from out of the country to come here and compete, and we say it's okay for plank to say he has the right to not compensate the ones who placed high? Not a good look, guys.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
yo scidadle what is the name of the show ur avatar is from. i know i watched it when i was younger and it angers me i cant remember the name.

also BSP if anything it puts other T.O.s on notice not to repeat the mistakes plank made. also it gets the players to notice **** more carefully.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I think this topic should now be closed and a new one should be opened to see what Plank can do to pay back the winners. They're are various way Plank could slowly pay everyone he owes money.
Like holding fund raiser tourneys, holding small tournament at his house while saving the venue fee to pay back winners, ect. It is only when Plank has payed everyone back that he will be fully forgiven but if he decide to simply not do anything to fix his mistakes people will never shut up about this.

There is no way 9K is a life debt even if Plank isn't rich, this could all be payed in around 1-2 years if he really cares so we'll see what he'll do.

CY

Smash Ace
plank isn't paying ****, I doubt he gives a **** at this point based on his past couple posts. ****ed up? don't worry, we'll just use the prize money to fix my irresponsible mistakes!

boredsmash

Smash Rookie

Okay people didn't pay to enter a international smash fest.. It was a tournament where the winners recieved pay

Tesh

Smash Hero
This thread is crazy.

At this point I just want to see Plank, Pierce (because his responses are so calm and logical and thorough) and the winners post their thoughts. Also Chibo, but everyone else is basically posting nonsense of little substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom