• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kole

Smash Lord
Plank is a living sack of ****.
**** off.

I don't give a **** if Plank ****ed up badly, you don't need to act like a little kindergartner who isn't getting something he wants and name-calls. You're worsening the situation by acting immature.

Go back to your 'life' (aka a child's game)

Stop destroying the community.

Grow up.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Whenever there is an event where the venue is accommodating hundreds of people there is a risk of this happening, everyone knows that, or everyone SHOULD know that. I found myself in this very position once, luckily it was a local and only $40 was on the line. I wasn't there but, plank thank you for running this tournament.

Although I do sympathize with both sides...

not being able to pay the winners sucks..
being a winner and not getting money sucks.. Really this is a lose lose situation and the best thing to do is to just accept it and move on.
I don't agree that should simply accept the fact. You should find ways to better the current situation, find solutions.. the way of action. Talking is fine to an extent but eventually things need to be done. And right now, it seems these things are being brought to light which is good. Everyone needs to play a part of it.

Hey, I have a better idea:
How about getting a job? Or finishing college or something like that?

Yeah, that sure would be a lot more creative than wasting you life by playing a figgin' videogame which will NOT give you a career or a job on any industry.

Oh hell, who am I to tell you what to do? I'm only a guy making $3000 a month, not living off on my mothers money, like some people seem to be doing.
Great, you make lots of money, congrats. However, don't stomp on people's dreams like that, that's pretty ignorant of you.

I have a question:

Why don't we give plank a chance to at least redeem himself/pay the winners back like he said could through other tournaments? I'm sure he could find a way to use a side tourney or something to raise money for the winners of pound 5. Hating him and never letting him host again when he could use that ability to atone for his actions seems like a huge lose/lose for all of us.

I also think it's safe to say he wouldn't be taking any more big risks with the venue or the prize money at this point as well.
I agree, probably the best thing to do however.. the whole community needs to let this **** go already and stop being ********.

plank isn't paying ****, I doubt he gives a **** at this point based on his past couple posts. ****ed up? don't worry, we'll just use the prize money to fix my irresponsible mistakes!
Why would he give a **** about someone like you? Mistakes does indeed happen and Googlemyname said it best. Organizing tournaments to replace or to redeem Pound 5 is probably the best solution to all this... that way it's possible to raise money to slowly re-pay the winners, it's genius no? =P

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
honestly, if a mod closed this thread, even if it has run it's course, we'll just get new ones popping up constantly until people are allowed to talk about it in circles again.

people will move on eventually.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
I hate to say it but if plank never said cash pay out or put it on the p5 thread then he can/will/has gotten way with it. Morally he owes big time, but legally he dont have to give back a dime.

Again if he never promised cash pay out.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Wait...Did someone post bragging about making $36,000.00 a year? That is bordering the poverty line...Nothing to be proud of IMO.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Wait...Did someone post bragging about making $36,000.00 a year? That is bordering the poverty line...Nothing to be proud of IMO.
it depends on the purchasing power of that income by state. in new york, that is basically poverty, but in many other states, it'd make for comfortable living. sorry to tangent.

Big_R

Smash Champion
I specifically remember Plank posting things on the boards talking about the contracts he would sign and how screwed he could be if "people only knew." Well it turns out people are finding out those bad deals this time...

It seems he knowingly went into some rough contracts to try to deliver. While the heart is there it doesn't change the fact that you don't do that. There is a reason why mlg is an mlg and a grassroots tourny is what it is. He doesn't have the funds to back up the kind of contracts like mlg would, nor the sponsorships, therefore he should not have ever signed anything like that.

To think smashers would come through and get hotel rooms or not bail for this or that reason was a terrible idea. Most hotels charge each person before hand but this was an overly fancy one that would clearly tack on extra charges if there were any shenanigans. Again, not something you should get into when smashers (notorious for being flaky and cheap) are the main people to be relied upon.

Plank should have been prepared for the worst case scenario. There is a such thing as calculated risk.

In the hood he would be murdered and in the rich white ppl world he would be sued. We are in a community where people are afraid to hold someone accountable, but the fact is Plank should pay everyone because that was also a contract in a sense. Except that it was based more on honor and trust in the community. It is nice of people not to pressure him, and I think things can be solved amicably out of court, but really I think Plank should find a way to pay everyone who deserved to be paid. Whether that be the winners, the hotel, or anyone else who went into a deal.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
it depends on the purchasing power of that income by state. in new york, that is basically poverty, but in many other states, it'd make for comfortable living. sorry to tangent.
I wouldn't be comfortable with that in any state. I'm assuming it's a troll account anyway. The join date is literally today, and the two posts it has are in this thread, and he's insulting people in both posts.

rhan

Smash Hero
Hey guys, My name is Alex Jebailey which some of you already know. I'm the man in Charge of the CEO 2011 Fighting Game Championships in Orlando, Fl this summer.

This Situation is unfortunate because this could happen to any major event, First off Plank ran Smash for my CEO 2010 Event and he was one of the best TO's I've ever worked with in terms of efficiency, now with that said he didn't have to put any money up(He paid for the Insurance Certificate but I reimbursed him) So he didn't have any risk involved like that of his own Pound V.

With that Said I know the risk involved with securing a big venue because like most Good TO's we have a dream of putting together the best events possible to increase mainstream exposure. Now what Plank did with Pound V was put his TOTAL TRUST into the fact that Smashers would help fulfill the hotel(sadly because we are all gamers most of us are completely broke and living off of parent's money( don't deny it if you were one of 10 people that crammed into one hotel room) which is the same I'm doing with my CEO Event(Which is a $20,000 Risk for me). Not just Planks but any TO's biggest mistake is not having the capital to promise payouts and he is at total fault for not paying out what he promised to the players, but because he has shown everyone he is completely in debt all the arguing in the world and bashing won't help get everyone's money back. Not that I'm defending him(I've promised a $5000 pot for my EVO seeding games, luckily because I've won so many tournaments myself I can risk the money), but this will ruin the chances of a 5 year event of ever becoming bigger than what it was.

I've been around the Scene for nearly 15 years now and I've seen so many Organizers come and go but just one mistake no matter how successful their past records are and it's curtains for them. Granted they should NEVER promise something you can't fulfill and this issue won't come up but just realize how incredibly hard it is to do what we do for so little in return. We put together big events cause we Love bringing people together, Plank is one of those people, If he was in it for the money he would of been gone after Pound 1's success. Now he was put up against a wall financially(And life is all about money and without legit sponsors Plank had nothing to work with before the event) and he had to go with The Golden rule of life which is Survival and he's doing what's in his best interest for himself and his life otherwise this mistake will end up costing him debt for the rest of his life).

For all the people that are owed money they have every right to go after Plank until he can return something to them. All that hard work, practicing, winning for nothing, I don't care if it's just a videogame tournament even though we play cause it's fun, but if you're promised money and you don't receive it you have every right to never attend an event from someone who owes you money again so I hate for a 5 year event to disappear because of this major mistake by getting a hotel venue.

Moral of all this is, if you want to keep the competitive community alive(I used to play smash and even I must admit 10 years strong is mighty impressive and deserves merit) then you have to realize it's just like any other hobby out there, you put money in to help out TO's and their events. Think of it this way, Look at MMOs like World of Warcraft, people are paying 10-15 bucks a month to keep playing the same game. You guys just had to buy Smash Bros with no monthly fee, the least you can do is save up some money to get a hotel room and not cram 20 dudes into a room to save money) again that's not a defense to plank, but think of it on the bigger picture.

Anyways who knows if anyone I just said means anything to you guys but to sum it all up, From the outside looking in, it's a shame one of the best TO's I've ever met got himself into a very deep hole that will be impossible to climb out of. Going after a broke man won't get you your money back, it's up to the community to either forgive or just move on and hope someone else with balls can come out of nowhere and step up to the plate for something to replace POUND 5. I did that last year when a scammer completely cancelled his event, so I'm sure this can lead to an even stronger community in the future so don't let it ruin the fun that this is all about.

I wanted Plank to help out With CEO 2011 again but I know he won't want to be around anything for a long time so I've dropped his name from the thread and leave it up to Hungrybox and other local smashers to help the East Coast for some big things. This wouldn't be the first community I've helped save. So Come on down to DISNEY WORLD and enter the CEO 2011 Tournament lol http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296882

Jebailey OUT.
Reposting. Read it al if you haven't

ADHD

Smash Hero
**** off.

I don't give a **** if Plank ****ed up badly, you don't need to act like a little kindergartner who isn't getting something he wants and name-calls. You're worsening the situation by acting immature.

Go back to your 'life' (aka a child's game)

Stop destroying the community.

Grow up.
I did acknowledge I was responding immaturely I think he deserved it.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I don't know why people are constantly saying smash isn't a job as if it is some type of comeback to people asking for their money.

If people go to a tournament and win it, they expect the prize money they've earned. If a victor is denied that prize and is unsatisfied then I can easily understand their frustration.

This isn't the time to say "But this is smash, grow up. You shouldn't base your finances off a GAME". These people are victims, and if you worked hard and invested a great deal of time into your passion only to see your efforts go to waste due to consequences outside of your control, you'd be pissed too. People base their lives off of paychecks they expect to receive, and if you really lived your life without expectations of payment then you're living unrealistically

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Smash might be a job, but isn't the most profitable. If someone wished to solely live off of playing smash, I'd advise them to work another job or find a game that is more profitable to be good at.

Tesh

Smash Hero
@ Nitrix, I agree fully there. By that crummy logic maybe we shouldn't pay janitors or part time workers because they wouldn't be making alot of money doing that anyway.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Why should people be posting about this situation unless Plank directly owes money to YOU? This isn't your problem and we don't need people telling the mistakes that Plank has already admitted and apologized for.

What would you do in his situation?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'd do exactly what he did if I somehow got myself into his situation in the first place and had no other options.

Company > Smashers in legal backlash strength, bottom line.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Why should people be posting about this situation unless Plank directly owes money to YOU? This isn't your problem and we don't need people telling the mistakes that Plank has already admitted and apologized for.

What would you do in his situation?
This was already addressed. I guess we shouldn't address global hunger, illiteracy rates, and the declining economy if we're not affected by it either, right?

Shut the **** up. It's a public forum, people will post if they damn well please.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
OMG GUYS

I'm doing my homework... but I'm getting sleepy...

and I like... blank out for a second... and I think of a brawl player or something...

and proceed to write the word... offended...

but yet, I meant to write... offered. lol.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
This might sound cruel, but over half the people here are being douches anyways. A big part of me wishes that Plank played the part of a martyr in this whole situation. It probably sounds kinda ignorant since we don't know the immediate repercussions of this, but I think it woulda been a whole lot better for the community. Plank says we'd all probably have done the same thing in his shoes, but I disagree. I definitely woulda taken the hit.

Think about it:

Plank pays the winners all their cash, everyone has an amazing time at the tournament.
BOOOOM, Hotel gets super pissed at Plank since he's unable to pay them. **** hits the fan.
Plank makes a huge post about how no shows and what-not have put him in this awful situation, but he takes responsibility for the poor planning and pays the winners because they earned it.
Everyone reads this and feels really bad for Plank. He stuck his neck out for all of us and is now facing legal charges because a bunch of people in the community let him down.
Paypal accounts are made, massive donations are sent Plank's way. Perhaps he has to take out a small loan to help pay, but he's a hero to community and we all have each others' back. In all the mean time maybe he's working something out with the hotel.
Community gets through this together and becomes tightly knit through a common cause.

Instead we got something like this:

Plank doesn't pay the winners their cash, instead pays the hotel
Winners don't get their money, everybody hears about it
Plank makes a post explaining why he did what he did, no-shows etc. It makes sense, but the situation still sucks.
People rage, the community turns on each other, flaming goes on for days, and everyone has a sour taste in their mouth.

So I dunno, I feel like the first decision, while not immediately too appetizing for Plank during the situation, probably would have panned out a lot better. I mean either way Plank would be losing, he happened to choose the one with less legal ramifications which is totally understandable, but I can't help but wish he'd have chosen otherwise. He probably didn't realize it, but I really think everything would have worked out much better if he just bit the bullet.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Given the choice, I'd appeal to the multi-million dollar corporation instead of some angry gamers, but the situation is still fubar.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I disagree with the first option because the smashers do not give the TOs where credit is due, I don't think they would do that honestly. Only a select few maybe but nothing to pay huge debts like that. The thread revealed the smashers only appear nice.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Considering the fact that over half of the posts here are threatening plank about how they want to sue him and see him in jail/see him suffer in financial debt for a long time and just overall see him suffer, REALLY makes me beg to differ if those same people would have the kindness to support such a fund. Someone that wishes suffering on their fellow man for reasons like this..I doubt that same person would wanna donate to help out.

Pengie

Smash Lord
This might sound cruel, but over half the people here are being douches anyways. A big part of me wishes that Plank played the part of a martyr in this whole situation. It probably sounds kinda ignorant since we don't know the immediate repercussions of this, but I think it woulda been a whole lot better for the community. Plank says we'd all probably have done the same thing in his shoes, but I disagree. I definitely woulda taken the hit.

Think about it:

Plank pays the winners all their cash, everyone has an amazing time at the tournament.
BOOOOM, Hotel gets super pissed at Plank since he's unable to pay them. **** hits the fan.
Plank makes a huge post about how no shows and what-not have put him in this awful situation, but he takes responsibility for the poor planning and pays the winners because they earned it.
Everyone reads this and feels really bad for Plank. He stuck his neck out for all of us and is now facing legal charges because a bunch of people in the community let him down.
Paypal accounts are made, massive donations are sent Plank's way. Perhaps he has to take out a small loan to help pay, but he's a hero to community and we all have each others' back. In all the mean time maybe he's working something out with the hotel.
Community gets through this together and becomes tightly knit through a common cause.
Considering that putting too much trust into the community is what got Plank in this ****hole in the first place, that doesn't seem like that great of an idea from his perspective.

Tesh

Smash Hero

Think about it:

Paypal accounts are made, massive donations are sent Plank's way. Perhaps he has to take out a small loan to help pay, but he's a hero to community and we all have each others' back. In all the mean time maybe he's working something out with the bank.

Instead we got something like this:

Plank doesn't pay the winners their cash, instead pays the hotel
Winners don't get their money, everybody hears about it
Plank makes a post explaining why he did what he did, no-shows etc. It makes sense, but the situation still sucks.
People rage, the community turns on each other, flaming goes on for days, and everyone has a sour taste in their mouth.

So I dunno, I feel like the first decision, while not immediately too appetizing for Plank during the situation, probably would have panned out a lot better. I mean either way Plank would be losing, he happened to choose the one with less legal ramifications which is totally understandable, but I can't help but wish he'd have chosen otherwise. He probably didn't realize it, but I really think everything would have worked out much better if he just bit the bullet.
Yes well if Plank were a man, it might have happened that way.

Also this doesn't just affect the winners. Plank's stance is that he doesn't have to pay. If the majority of the community just sits back and says "meh i didnt place in the money idc" then why are we paying entry fees? It doesn't cost much of anything for people to play once they have already shown up. Pennies in electricity actually. If Plank can just not pay because he feels he needs the money more than the winners, then what about other TOs that feel they need the money more than the entrants? Every person that entered the tournament has a right to be pissed at Plank.

With that said, this will probably blow over and TOs might copy-paste a " definitely will pay winners" clause into their tournament threads. The community will end up helping the winners break even and this incident will be joked about now and then. After all 10, 000 dollars isn't THAT much money.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Laijin we've never spoken in person, but I always wanted to meet the Falco getting womped by Zelda in that one video LMFAO

Pengie

Smash Lord
After all 10, 000 dollars isn't THAT much money.
Certainly not compared to the supposed 30,000 dollar **** he'd have up his *** if he had breached contract. Not to mention any legal fees from potentially getting taken to court over it.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
meh I think smashers are just emotional people. They get super stoked on some things, and then super butthurt by others. Right now they all happened to be pissed. I can't say people woulda helped out, but I know for damn sure i'd have thrown down 50 bucks or so.

edit: @Laijin I think that's just cuz everyone feels betrayed. Doesn't mean a lot of them can't legitimately be good people willing to help donate to a cause. In fact a lot of those same people are making a bunch of threads to donate to the winners. But I feel like there's much less emotional drive for people to donate since everyone can direct the fault to Plank. In the other situation, there's no one scape goat for everyone to run to and say "this is so and so's fault" Maybe it is just me, but I feel people would feel more compelled to donate to that cause.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Even if we can all agree that it makes sense to pay the big company first, Plank's responses have been disgusting. He doesn't even seem to care that he mislead people about the entry fee and in many cases straight up lied.

Common sense should tell a TO not to overspend and try to turn a tournament into disneyworld or something. If you don't have it, don't try to spend it. Like 400 smash nerds are going to care about how fancy the hotel is when they will be spending more than half the time in the basement. It was just plain stupid of him to run such a huge risk in the first place. I guess assuming any one of us had been placed in a situation (though i think other TOs wouldn't run a risk like that) we would pay the big company first. But, the honorable thing to do is to try to make things right with the people you screwed over to save yourself.

I don't think its right that the community will now have to clean it up for him even though the attendees already showed up and paid in money to the winners. Now its time to pay the winners again because they let a cowardly thief be the middle man. I hope things turn out alright for the people financially affected and I hope Plank gets what he deserves one way or another.

Smash Master
I think most people just want to hear Plank say he screwed up and he owes people money. But he won't because he's afraid of being sued, not because he actually doesn't think he does.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm not sure if the community could raise several thousand dollars for him though.....

That seems unreasonable to me.

As it stands that didn't happen but what we do have on our hands could all be fixed/made somewhat better if plank decides to work something out with the winners of pound 5.

I would really like to see another plank post(which may involve everyone calming down but I hope that happens either way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom