• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
since you're asking everyone here, I'm assuming you don't know anyone in the area personally that you would probably be PMing about this.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say your best bet is to get a BUNCH of friends on board with you to reserve ONE hotel room and split the cost...it'll be relatively cheap that way...

either that or hold out in this thread until someone offers cheap housing [not terribly likely >_>]

Drephen

Smash Master
im gonna say so much ****ed up **** to foreign people and they will have no idea what im saying lol

btw rules are the same in europe as U.S.A. correct? dont wanna argue with rules in a different language lol

pockyD

Smash Legend
me and falcomist are getting in thursday night and leaving tuesday morning

can anyone house us thursday night and monday night? (i'm pretty sure we'll be at a hotel during the tournament itself)

that would rock

and there's a small chance a certain quiet ghost would be along for the ride too

we can be out of your hair during the day friday if you like

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's really just a small chance, i'm not trying to play coy or anything

he's noncommittal and plane ticket prices have jumped hugely since we bought ours (160 per person, it was an awesome deal)

pockyD

Smash Legend
i'm not sure he's worried about being taken seriously by "The Irish Mafia"

SS plays for himself and to have fun; unfortunately I don't think any skewed idea of "redemption" or "revenge" appeals to him

tw1n

Smash Champion
i say amsah places higher than all of the other europeans..calling it and 5 people from fl in top ten

@ genesis there was 4..get *****
Hmm... I'll put $5 saying only 3 from Fl make top ten and Armada places higher than Amsah =] you on PB ;)

Yubi

Smash Cadet
Puerto Rico's crew is arriving friday during the evening at the hotel and we leave tuesday morning. Anyone wanting friendlies or money matches, know that we're gonna be there. We did pretty good in genesis and we're hoping to do better now. :-)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the rulesets in europe are indeed different. something about best of fours or something.... idk.... i think their stage choice is less varied too, and rules like DSR aren't in effect afaik.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
ill be a translator, ask me french engrish or spanish, im your man! only if you kidnap people i do not want to play
Are we joking here or should we start listing names for my brother and I?

Haha anyways it'll be interesting to see how this one goes with so many countries battling for first.

Maybe someone should make a game were people post their predictions and the one who get's it right or closest gets a prize

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
the rulesets in europe are indeed different. something about best of fours or something.... idk.... i think their stage choice is less varied too, and rules like DSR aren't in effect afaik.
The rules differ between the countries. Up here we (most of us) like to allow as many stages as possible.
Bo4 in pools was "created" by me and C last summer and so far has only been used in two tournaments here and one in Finland, that I know of.

Kasht

Smash Cadet
Thanks Plairnkk!

BTW, people looking for cheaper flights, please check the first post for instructions on how to get 10% off your plane ticket when flying with AirTran Airways. Pound 4 has an EVENT CODE that you can use when calling to book your reservation.

I have 16 people confirmed from Puerto Rico, and I will be getting the hotel reservations this week.

Kasht

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Rulesets in Europe tend to be different for each countries. Usually, Southern countries have a more conservative ruleset that Northern ones.

Norway, Sweden, Finland and Germany usually allow about as much stages as the US.
France and Spain only allow 6 or 7 stages (and still, people rant because of KJ64), and The Netherlands tend to do the same even though they used to allow a few more stages.

DSR and Advanced Slob Picks are of course on. Germany and France also use PSR (Pamaro Stupid Rule), stating that a player should not wait to much to choose his counterpick. We did that because of Pamaro, a German player who took 20 mn to choose each of his counterpicks during a best of 5, driving his opponent crazy.

Wobbling is now usually banned in most countries, except in Sweden and Norway.

I'd say we also have Bo5 and Bo7 sets more often than in the US (like in France, 64-man brackets are usually best of 5 for the whole bracket or almost, we do one or two best of 3 sets depending on how late we are).

tw1n

Smash Champion
holy crap 64 man bracket is usually best of 5??? BEAST. Do you guys usually have a lot of setups or...just...wait hella long >_>
Im sure its a nasty combo of the two. But then again their tournaments might start and end on schedule lol =]

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Im sure its a nasty combo of the two. But then again their tournaments might start and end on schedule lol =]

Haha definitely not. Especially French tournaments.
But the overall situation isn't the same. Sure, we usually have many TVs (when I'm hosting a tournament, I usually aim for 1 TV per 5 players, 4 if possible). But we also save time because we almost always have the venue for the night, which often allows us to start a tournament earlier and end it later. That doesn't make such a big difference, as I try not to force people to play tournaments games after midnight and people don't get up early and whine when I say "tomorrow, the tournament restarts at 10."

can someone give somewhat of a list as to who's comng over from Europe
Here's what I know :

Confirmed :
Sweden : Armada, Aniolas, C, Jadde, AJP anton.
Denmark : Stelzig, Jonas
Netherlands : Remen, Zgetto, Faab, Amsah, Marc, Utto

Interested but unsure to come :
Finland : Neutroni, Vilness
Sweden : no idea, but I think some wanted to come.
Netherlands : Adam ? Maybe a few others
France : Makenshi, Slhoka, Qlex, niam (currently in Canada), a few other, more or less random guys.
Spain : Strawhat Dahean, Over, K-12. Maybe Iced, and a few others
Germany : maybe kJaB and Ice ?

Top or famous players not coming for sure :
Sweden : Calle W, Ek
France : Poilon, Infernum, Baxon

Jonas

Smash Champion
best of 4? cause that makes sense >_>
I think it only applies to pools. If you win the two first games in a pool match, you win the pool match. If you win one and your opponent wins one, you have to play two more. If you win three of four, you win the pool match, and if you win two of four, it's a draw. Or something >___>
It was kinda like that at a Swedish tournament I attended, if I remember correctly.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
we should revive TA for this... somehow.... remember when you tried to implement that crazy **** about how you had to beat all of TA and you win money or something? so funny

stelzig

Smash Lord
Pretty sure more swedes are confirmed though i'm not sure exactly who. :)

Edit: From what i could gather AJP is going... Thought there was more though =/

Faab

Smash Ace
Wtf do you guys think we're some ******* with random rules? =/

Here are the rules from our last tournament.

--------------------
The Rules
--------------------

BYOC: Bring Your Own Controller!

Rules for 1 vs 1:
Pouls+Double Elimination, best of 3. Best of 5 from quarter finals, best of 7 for winner's finals.
4 Stock, 8 minutes Stocktime
If the timer runs out the player with the most stock left wins. In case of a stock tie the player with the lowest percentage wins (so the Sudden Death does not count in this case). In case of a percentage tie the Sudden Death is played.
Items are off.

Poule rules:
If for some reason 2 players seem to have ended up in a tie we will review who wins in this order:
1. number of sets won, if this is a tie we will go to the second factor
2. total matches won, if this is also a tie we will go to the last factor
3. the winner of the set that the tied players played against eachother.
4. In case of a 3-way tie and the first 3 factors are all equal, there will be a rematch for those 3 players

After stagestriking both players will have the chance to ban one level for the entire set.

STAGE RULES

Stagestriking will be used at ZEST4

How Stagestriking works:

You play 1 game of rock/paper/scissors with youre opponent.The winner gets to strike a stage first. After this the loser will strike 2 stages and the winner may strike the last stage. This way 1 of the random stages is being played in the first game. (in teams Fountain of dreams will be replaced by battlefield.)

Random stages:
Final destination
Dreamland 64
Pokemon stadium
Fountain of dreams
Yoshi's story

Counterpick stages:

Mute City
Rainbow ride
Kongo jungle 64
Battlefield

stage bans: basicly every other level
the other levels are allowed if opponent AGREES to play it

The first match of a set both players are allowed to pick character, all following matches will be played with the use of Advanced Slob Picks (ASP). This means that after a match, the loser of the previous match anounces the stage (can also be random if you want to), then the winner of the previous match choses character, and finally the loser of the last match picks a character.

Daves Stupid Rule (DSR) is used.

Stalling tactics such as Peach bombering or rising pound are banned unless when used for recovery.

Only gay thing about this one is mute city rest of the rules are alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom