• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Popular games that you dislike?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Maybe as a concept performance art piece you can get away with doing something simply and wholly for the sake of it (and how!), but for general intents and purposes it's entirely expected from anyone with half a functioning brain for there to be some sort of thought-process and sound judgment in dismissing something outright that literally millions have found value in and critics UNANIMOUSLY (remember, these are the folks who get paid to use their ****ing heads and not their snap-judgment bias) rave about for its importance--well that's just ********.
I do have a thought-process and judgment for dismissing something. I never said I didn't. From your post, it sounded like you were saying that if you dislike those games, you're just disliking them for the sake of it. If that's not what you're saying, I retract everything I've said to you thus far and agree.

I have something against Halo (dislike to an extent, but I have found the games fun and will get all three, most likely) because it got overhyped. Good or not, you cannot deny that the series got a crapload of hype. From hearing all of it from a few of my friends, it irked me and made me hate the game. I'm over it now, just as I'm over my Nintendo fanboyism, though.

As I said to The Halloween Captain, I hate GTA because I don't like the concept of it at all. I'm not all that fond of shooters as it is, and a shooter where your basic goal is to break the law just does not appeal to me.

I've tried playing two Final Fantasy games and I've not found either particularly interesting, and both to be a little confusing. I've talked to some people and apparently there are better ones to get, but after trying the ones I have I'm not inclined to spend however much of my finite money on a game I may still not enjoy.

I don't like Brawl because...well, I don't think I even need to explain it. Uncompetitive, annoying physics, tripping...just not as fun in general as Melee. If it were a game in and of itself, I'd probably enjoy it, but I'd much prefer Melee.

Bioshock looks REALLY interesting, but I would never buy it because I played what I played of the demo. It's creepy as hell, and it's just not my thing. I wouldn't play it because, stupid as it is, it'd creep me out too much and I wouldn't want to play it.

Also, I wouldn't cite reviewers as sources for the quality of a game. We all know reviewers are basically bribed to give better reviews to some games. And everyone has different standards, expectations, and opinions. It's inevitable that there will be people who dislike games that the majority loves, and vice versa.

And you're just arguing for the sake of it, and normally that's grounds for an infraction in my book, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and dismiss your ignorance as a performance piece titled "Moron on the Internet."
No, I'm arguing to defend myself. You basically just said that my opinions are all just because I have a desire to be a nonconformist and I actually find the games appealing, I just dislike them because they're popular. I found that offensive, so I replied.

If you really wish to give me an infraction, go ahead and do so (although I obviously do not want one), but I don't see why I should get an infraction when you gave an assumption and called me a moron for it.

And you're still insulting me. For having a different opinion than you.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Haha, well played. I think no less of you than I did before.

You have your reasons (ALBEIT TERRIBLE REASONS RAWR :mad: ) so at this point there is only agree to disagree. PROCEED.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Haha, well played. I think no less of you than I did before.
Thank you...I think?

You have your reasons (ALBEIT TERRIBLE REASONS RAWR :mad: ) so at this point there is only agree to disagree. PROCEED.
Okay then, agree to disagree.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Mario Kart 64

I don't dislike it. But the **** item system is broken like the many other MK games. The difference is that no one thinks it's broken. :O

§leepy God

Smash Master
Mario Kart 64

I don't dislike it. But the **** item system is broken like the many other MK games. The difference is that no one thinks it's broken. :O
Let's look at facts, you get a Star in 3rd or 2nd place, (rare but it can happen), you can able to get lightning around 5th or so. Hell, you can get Boo to steal items at 1st place, so your not the only one that thinks the item system is broken.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
Meh, when it comes to things like Halo or GTA I'm willing to accept they're not my thing.

One game that did seem to receive a fair bit of praise though that is normally up my alley was FFXII.

The main thing that really turned me off to it though was the story/characters. In any RPG characterization is important, and XII had next to none of it. In any RPG I can usually find one or two characters I like, or at least some cool recurring NPC's. Yet in XII the party seemed to more or less have the same pole up their butt and were super stern, with the exceptions being Balthier getting to make wisecracks, Vaan being whiny, and Penelo seeming fairly irrelevant. Would it have killed SE to have given your party at least SOME personality? The characterization took a back seat to politics and worldly events which IMO was a very poor decision I hope they rectify in XIII.

The other thing was the combat/gambit system. In all honesty I am rather impressed with exploration in this game and how it flows, but the combat itself is just a mask for an ATB system which I found rather annoying at the beginning when I tried to weave in and out of attacks yet a wolf's rush could still hit me from 30 yards away while staying in place. Then there's the gambit system which basically was meant to be there to help the gameplay but really just removed you from it. Not to mention that it can take a while before you get what you would think would be more obvious gambits. Some people say that you can simply choose not to play with them but then things just get frustrating and tedious. I tried playing it with the party leader without gambits but it really just felt unnecessary for normal battles since you don't even need to hit a button each turn to attack. I only ended up truly playing the game during boss battles which were actually quite nice I'll admit.

Overall it was a pretty big disappointment to me after hearing great things about it from my friends and me being open-minded decided to try it. I played it for a fair bit of time but after remembering my former roommate clocking in somewhere between 160 - 180 hours before he actually beat the game, I decided it just wasn't worth it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Let's look at facts, you get a Star in 3rd or 2nd place, (rare but it can happen), you can able to get lightning around 5th or so. Hell, you can get Boo to steal items at 1st place, so your not the only one that thinks the item system is broken.
Actually, I liked this about the game.

I wish all the item systems were this broken. It's really freaking tough to close the gab between 2nd and first place with no good items, compared to third place which gets a lot more red shells.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I hate the Donkey Kong series.

Not a fan of Mario, but its tolerable (with the exception of Mario Kart).

I can't stand Resident Evil. I hate zombie games and, from what I've seen, the enemy AI is way to smart.

I can't stand GTA... any game that encourages gang behavior isn't my thing.

Denzi

Smash Master
I dislike:

Halo, GTA, Sonic games (espicially recent ones), and Mario Kart (as well as most other racing games). I also suck at/ am not a fan of the majority of FPS's.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
World of Warcraft
MapleStory
Call of Duty series
God of War (it's OK, but not as special as everyone makes it)
Any Pokemon game past 2nd gen

Vlade

Social Outcast
Any final fantasy game past VIII, that's when they become not very good (only exception is crisis core).

GTA, I can't stand it for some reason, it just isn't my kind of game.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Any Final Fantasy that isn't IV.
X-2 was my first Final Fantasy, and although I've not finished it yet, I found the battle system sort of enjoyable, although the story is bad up to now
VII is terrible in my opinion. The battle system is rubbish compared to IV (which is the only other FF game I've played along with X-2 and VII), and there is a lot of backtracking. I got the game brand new 2 years ago, and I've only got to the bit were the Turks are talking about who they fancy on Disk 1. I know what the story of VII is, and I think that it is a great story, it's the actual gameplay that ruined it for me. I'll probably play it to the end, but I'm not going to put in a lot of effort to get my characters and materia leveled up to the max.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I hate first person shooters. I'm not a big fan of Brawl, LoZ:TP and pretty much every Wii game except for Animal Crossing. I like Resi4 though, but on the GC.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
World of Warcraft
WarCraft 3
Final Fantasy VII
Mario Party series
Super Mario RPG
Kingdom Hearts series
Halo series
WW2-Shooters
Counterstrike
GTA series since GTA 3
Sports games

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I have to agree with you there Spadefox.
I don't really like the new GTA games, although San Andreas does improve dramatically in the later half- I've just got to Las Venturas, and GTA VCS has some fun missions, yet is boring otherwise.
The best game was definitely Grand Theft Auto- The cop chases you could have on that game were a lot more fun than the ones on the newer games, and the Stinger was a beast of a car XD. I never played the missions though, as it was more fun to drive around.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
GTAIV, Halo 3, WoW, and FFVII.
Thier points, I miss them.
Well GTA 4 is part of a well-liked game series, so despite it's failings (even the failings it has as a GTA game) it's going to have a fairly large following.

Halo 3 has nice shiny graphics I guess, which apparantly more than makes up for a lack of good story, interesting characters, or fresh gameplay. Also I guess people really like Master Chief.

As for WoW, well some people just love their grind I suppose.

FF7 has an androgonous male lead, with ridiculous hair and huge sword, and no personality, fighting a similarly androgonous villian, with ridiculous hair and huge sword, and no personality. In mainstream gaming this equals sucess. I do not understand this, but it does equal sucess for some reason.

Smash Master
Halo is by far the most overrated game ever. It brings nothing new to the table that hasn't been done since 1995. The weapon/vehicle balance is horrendous. Sword is retardedly broken. There is very little strategy involved. Just find a spot with several walls surrounding you and hope your opponent doesn't happen to get lucky and stand in the spot where you are exposed. Obviously you have to change your spot every now and then, but it's nothing a five-year-old can't handle. The weapon hit detection seems off whenever I play. The crowds the game draws are usually over-hyped douchebags who think guessing lucky and getting a good vantage point to hit someone else takes some sort of skill. Winning at Halo is wholly unsatisfying and losing is downright frustrating. In summary, Halo sucks.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Halo is by far the most overrated game ever. It brings nothing new to the table that hasn't been done since 1995. The weapon/vehicle balance is horrendous. Sword is retardedly broken. There is very little strategy involved. Just find a spot with several walls surrounding you and hope your opponent doesn't happen to get lucky and stand in the spot where you are exposed. Obviously you have to change your spot every now and then, but it's nothing a five-year-old can't handle. The weapon hit detection seems off whenever I play. The crowds the game draws are usually over-hyped douchebags who think guessing lucky and getting a good vantage point to hit someone else takes some sort of skill. Winning at Halo is wholly unsatisfying and losing is downright frustrating. In summary, Halo sucks.
10/10 would read again.

Though I must admit, Halo does hold a special place in my heart for introducing me to much better shooters on the PC. I was a console gamer, now I love my PC thanks to Halo. So I'll give it credit for that I guess.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
hey guys, the best WWII game is Akatsuki Blitzkampf ;D
Well, duh. Didn't mean SHMUPS, though. Under Defeat is a SHMUP in a WW2 setting too and one of the greatest Dreamcast games ever released (albeit being the very last).

By WW2 shooters I meant FPS like Medal of Honor, Battlefield XYZ or Call of Duty or stuff like those. They're just boring and all look the same.
The only WW2 shooter which looks different is Wolfenstein 3D (yes, that old sprited 2.5D Shooter from id, but not the newer one - Return to Castle Wolfenstein), and that's the only one not included in that general "WW2 Shooter"-point in my list. :p

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I really actually dont like Metroid series ...

Gah bring it on hate..

=(
I only have Prime, and I never really got anywhere with it.

I enjoyed it, but the backtracking and maze like levels do get confusing, and can put people off.

Top Bottom