• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Popular games that you dislike?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't think I've played enough Halo to dislike it. I played a bit of multiplayer on the first, and I remember it being fun but unremarkable, and I played Halo 2's campaign co-op and remember really enjoying it at the time--but then, it's just nice to be able to play couch co-op these days.
Yeah, I haven't played much Halo either. I played about half of the first co-op level of Halo 1 with my friend. I probably could've gotten further, but we were fooling around and killing each other for fun, so...yeah. I will admit it was pretty fun, but then again, fooling around can be pretty fun in most games. Although it was sort of embarrassing when I accidentally hit the grenade button near a wall and stuck myself...

Halo 2 I've played like...three multiplayer matches. One on Blood Gulch, the other two on that weird level with the pendulum-like thing.

Halo 3, I've played a bunch of Forge maps in multiplayer, especially one my friend downloaded called Hurricane Katrina (which, despite the highly un-PC name, was extremely fun), as well as Forging my own map on that one ice level where you can walk off the edge but the turrets make noises and then shoot and kill you and playing that a few times. Oh, and one really intense level which they made specifically so you have to glitch at just about every part to get through. I played a small ways into the level and then watched a match of my friend and one of his friends trying to go through the level and then needing help (which was very funny because the other friend gets easily angered and killed people a few times after getting extremely angry). Then I played a few rounds of Hide & Seek using that mode where one person is visible and has an Energy Swords and the other two are visible, can't remember what it's called. I've also played that one mode...I think it's Zombies, where one person is uber slow and has an Energy Sword and has to kill the other people to turn them into Zombies. I don't know, something to that effect. Finally, I halfway played the final level in the Campaign on co-op, where you have a Warthog and the whole entire thing is collapsing so you have to drive for your life. I don't know the background to the level (don't tell me either, I don't want the plot spoiled), but it's a lot of fun, especially on co-op.

Actually, I guess I've played quite a bit of Halo. 3, anyways. Still, it's not an entirely large amount of it, just a lot more than I thought I had.

I wouldn't say any of them were extremely out-of-the-ordinary experiences, except some of the Forged maps and that one last level of the Campaign.

I'm beginning to dislike more and more open-world games, I think it's being very overdone. It's sad, but I'm coming to appreciate more and more linearity in the games I'm playing, I feel it lends itself to a more complete and structured narrative.
What games are you referring to, on both sides? I can sort of see what you're saying, but not entirely.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
What games are you referring to, on both sides? I can sort of see what you're saying, but not entirely.
I'm mostly thinking of open-world games like The Elder Scrolls, KOTOR, and others such as these. I feel that while allowing a person to create the character they wish to play and go where they wish to go adds alot of expandability and personalization, it loses a lot of coherency in the narrative in the process. The story ends up needing to be completely neutral to the character creation, forgoing more complex inter-character relations. Games of this type often feel like they've had major plot events nerfed for the sake of allowing many possible plot trees based on the player's choices--basically, because there have to be so many events, no one event ever feels particularly memorable or meaningful.

On the other hand, games allowing limited player input--more traditional games such as Zelda--are able to convey so much more powerful and cohesive of a narrative, allowing for a central uninterupted storyline specific to the character the player is given to play. The narrative can be tailored around the pre-determined character, generally allowing for more inter-character relations and interactions.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm mostly thinking of open-world games like The Elder Scrolls, KOTOR, and others such as these. I feel that while allowing a person to create the character they wish to play and go where they wish to go adds alot of expandability and personalization, it loses a lot of coherency in the narrative in the process. The story ends up needing to be completely neutral to the character creation, forgoing more complex inter-character relations. Games of this type often feel like they've had major plot events nerfed for the sake of allowing many possible plot trees based on the player's choices--basically, because there have to be so many events, no one event ever feels particularly memorable or meaningful.

On the other hand, games allowing limited player input--more traditional games such as Zelda--are able to convey so much more powerful and cohesive of a narrative, allowing for a central uninterupted storyline specific to the character the player is given to play. The narrative can be tailored around the pre-determined character, generally allowing for more inter-character relations and interactions.
Yeah, I see your point. I mean, you can't expect them to make a different cutscene for every possible outcome, especially when they stack up, but it does take away from the game. Actually, I can sort of think of something sort of applicable to this...in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, I was playing through the game or whatever on Ephraim's side of the story. Since it was my first run through the game, I wasn't aware that you could recruit Cormag, a Wyvern Rider. Now, Wyvern Riders have a very distinct icon on the overworld map. During one of the cutscenes, it showed everyone advancing on the overworld, and I spotted a very odd icon that didn't look like any of my units. After looking it up, I realized I hadn't recruited Cormag and that's who it was. Not entirely a big deal, but still, I didn't recruit him so he shouldn't have been there. What if I had killed him? Would he still have appeared there? That would've caused quite a plothole.

So yeah, it's definitely a more open experience when they let you choose more of your adventure, and that can be very enjoyable. On the other hand, if you like a good story in a game, you can easily be disappointed by a game like that.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Yeah, I see your point. I mean, you can't expect them to make a different cutscene for every possible outcome, especially when they stack up, but it does take away from the game. Actually, I can sort of think of something sort of applicable to this...in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, I was playing through the game or whatever on Ephraim's side of the story. Since it was my first run through the game, I wasn't aware that you could recruit Cormag, a Wyvern Rider. Now, Wyvern Riders have a very distinct icon on the overworld map. During one of the cutscenes, it showed everyone advancing on the overworld, and I spotted a very odd icon that didn't look like any of my units. After looking it up, I realized I hadn't recruited Cormag and that's who it was. Not entirely a big deal, but still, I didn't recruit him so he shouldn't have been there. What if I had killed him? Would he still have appeared there? That would've caused quite a plothole.
lol, that reminds me of playing Golden Sun for whatever reason. There were a great number of "Yes or No" questions throughout the game, but except for a slightly different comment following the choice they almost universally led you to the same place. Sort of a falsified non-linearity.

Darkslash

Smash Master
lol, that reminds me of playing Golden Sun for whatever reason. There were a great number of "Yes or No" questions throughout the game, but except for a slightly different comment following the choice they almost universally led you to the same place. Sort of a falsified non-linearity.
Out of random curiosity i found out the quickest way to finish the game!
say No when they ask you to do the main story line...ahh good laughs.

So there's a PC game i'm currently playing called Mount&Blade, and its a non linear, and i love it. The fact that you choose your own destiny in a war torn land is what makes that game great. That and 50+ Swadian Knights charging into the ranks of Vaegir Archers.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Out of random curiosity i found out the quickest way to finish the game!
say No when they ask you to do the main story line...ahh good laughs.
Towards the beginning of the game, your mother asks you to do something and "be a big boy". I had no end to fun telling her "no" over and over again.

So there's a PC game i'm currently playing called Mount&Blade, and its a non linear, and i love it. The fact that you choose your own destiny in a war torn land is what makes that game great. That and 50+ Swadian Knights charging into the ranks of Vaegir Archers.
I'd try it, but it's Windows-only, and I just don't roll that way anymore. ;) I love games with archers, it's what made Shogun: Total War so much fun back in the day.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Legend of Zelda series: More specifically, OoT. Honestly, why is it so popular?
Mario 64: Could have been better.
1. It was soooooooo good.

2. Nope. Well, it could've had Luigi, true...

lol.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Legend of Zelda series: More specifically, OoT. Honestly, why is it so popular?
It was the first 3d game for the series.
The music is AMAZING, how many ****ing songs can you make with 4 buttons and have it sound as intricate as OoT did? :laugh:
The gameplay is AMAZING.
It is one of like 8 or so games to recieve a perfect score from Famitsu. For it's time it was the highest score to date.
It was the first contemporary nondance title to feature music-making as part of its gameplay.
It had very detailed facial expressions which is the hardest thing on a 3d character to get right.
It made z-targeting an "industry standard".
And it has withstood the test of time.

bored

Smash Ace
It was the first 3d game for the series.
Good for it.
The music is AMAZING, how many ****ing songs can you make with 4 buttons and have it sound as intricate as OoT did? :laugh:
Okay, the music is great. I'll admit that.
The gameplay is AMAZING.
I'm sure it is.;)
It is one of like 8 or so games to recieve a perfect score from Famitsu. For it's time it was the highest score to date.
Okay.
It was the first contemporary nondance title to feature music-making as part of its gameplay.
Oh... thats real cool.
It had very detailed facial expressions which is the hardest thing on a 3d character to get right.
Neat.
It made z-targeting an "industry standard".
Umm.. how exactly does...nevermind.
And it has withstood the test of time.
Amazing, really, truly an inspiration to all developers out there.

Yeah..

Filler.

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
All music games, the realistic FPS games(a.k.a. CoD), and anything Mario(minus the classics).
Reasons:
1. Guitar Hero & Rock Band seem like you're just listening to music and pressing buttons.
2. I like my games to have some kind of unrealistic, out-of-this-world element to them.
3. Mario's gone down the crapper. And Galaxy ripped off one of my fave VG levels w/ Freezeflame Galaxy. Free cookie if you can guess what it is.

Wuss

Smash Champion
all sports games. why play something as a video game when you can go outside and do the same thing, but for real...?
also I hate driving games. They are soo boring, and really just not interesting. I mean, mario kart and silly games like that can be fun, but realistic racing games suck.

Skler

Smash Master
I can't understand all the Gears hate. If you realize the over the top violence is a joke (a gun with a chainsaw, you know they weren't serious) you can realize how amazing the gameplay is. A 3rd person shooter with a unique cover system, great finishing system (execution as a game mode is one of the best ideas ever), original weapons (torque bow/hammer of dawn) and amazing multiplayer. It just has incredible gameplay compared to the boring shooters you see all over the place. The campaign was pretty average, but shooter campaigns always suck.

Anyways back to bad games.

Halo I and III, I just didn't like them and felt they didn't do anything really new.

FF after about III, the Madden of RPGs, change almost nothing and re-release it!

Sports games in general, I'd rather do it in real life. The only sports games I like are really unrealistic like Blitz.

Brawl, the coin shooter was the best part.

GTA games, fun for about 5 minutes before the game gets boring. If it was hard I'd give it more of a shot, but it's boring and easy.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
all sports games. why play something as a video game when you can go outside and do the same thing, but for real...?
also I hate driving games. They are soo boring, and really just not interesting. I mean, mario kart and silly games like that can be fun, but realistic racing games suck.
I agree with you there. Also, Harvest Moon, Sims, ScarFace, Sims (lol)...

Gears was too overwhelming for me, actually. XD

Also, Real Driving isn't much fun either, but I think of it GETTING TO PLACES that are fun a nice thing about that. Lol

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The most popular games I don't like would be WoW, Guitar Hero/Rock Band/etc. and probably the CoD [I admit I'm a bit biased against CoD].

I have a strong hate for MMORPGs [after playing Runescape especially]. The mere concept of grinding for nothing just irks me. I'm fine with a little grinding in JRPGs or strategy games [like FFTA] because you grind towards a goal but in MMORPGs no matter how much you grind it's never enough. Even if you reach the end game most of the time you're still grinding collecting whatever it is you need to collect just to make money to buy whatever armor or weapon it is you need. As for the communities, rage is the best word that describes my feelings when it comes to them.

For rhythm games, I just can't get into them. I love music, but the gameplay in rhythm games just isn't for me.

As for CoD, I think it's just as overhyped as Halo . I would try it out but it's still $50 and I can't justify that price. I also worry about how fast you die in it, seems everything drops you in no time.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
I really do enjoy the ride of jrpg, but I used to watched to much generic anime so I can practically predict the freaking storylines in any jrpg.

Any pokemon after the second generation.

Zelda after n64 sucks. Seriously Legend of zelda Toilet paper never came close at all to the 64 versions.

Any realistic sports game seriously nfl street and nba street was way funer than any madden.

Star fox series.

Whats with the halo bash? I played it and it was a great multiplayer experience. *dont own 360*

Oh yeah....SMG I dont dislike it but it wasnt the best.

And most of all, pretty much anything on wii.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I dislike DDR.
One time my friends mother said i suck at this game then i randomly started to tear up. never went near it again.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
1. Guitar Hero & Rock Band seem like you're just listening to music and pressing buttons.
Yeah dude, that about sums it up. Have a cookie.

Cody, I hear Activision have plans to start releasing more and more and more guitar hero spin offs, at a rate similar to the rate they used to pump out awful Tony Hawk games and such. Dross like GH: Aerosmith. So it's only gonna get worse. Gotta buy 'em all, I suppose?

I dislike joke sports games. I prefer realistic ones. NHL Hitz was ok. NBA Street, Fifa Street, Red Card Soccer, Mario Strikers, Mario Tennis, etc. all kind of bug me. I'm not a sports nut, it's just that the strategy and competition of the sports is what draws me to games like that, and being able to kick your opponents in the head or belt someone with a shell seem like an annoying gimmick. The mario ones are particularly bad.

I'm not sure about NHL hitz. I don't know the rules to begin with =/

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
The entire Megaman franchise. I love platformers, but for some odd reason I don't enjoy Megaman games.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
World of Warcraft -- it is somewhat fun, but honestly, it's really not worth $15 per month, it's also way to time consuming to get anything done that's worth doing.

Edit; Oh and brawl Sux too.

Miztik

Smash Master
i personally think Wind Waker is overrated i didnt find it fun at all i only played it just to say i beat it...lol

neodoodot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neodoodot
I've never been a fan of the Final Fantasy series, and I've always prefered the Dragon Warrior/Quest series over it. also...Halo and CoD4...in other word I'm not a big FPS fan ^^;

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I dislike DDR.
One time my friends mother said i suck at this game then i randomly started to tear up. never went near it again.
That's really sad.

I don't blame you if that's why you dislike DDR.

@neodoodot: Dragon Quest is amazing. Although I also like FF games, DQ just has this certain charm to it that FF games don't have. :)

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Fallout 3: Okay, now as a game I don't dislike this but it is far from a 10/10 or even a 9. I give it a 7, just because of several flaws it has.

However as a Fallout sequel it just bothers the hell out of me because I expected more attention to detail in terms of dialogue, story, and RPG elements. Also, though I would have liked a turn-based system I'm fine with a switch to FPS gameplay. But the transition wasn't great and I'm not a huge fan of Fallout 3's gameplay.

Okay game, bad Fallout sequel.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
grand theft auto, halo, gears of war, fable, fallout, call of duty, left 4 dead, tomb raider, prince of Persia, need for speed.
and all other xbox exclusives .lets not forget the sucky guitar hero.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Oh Tomb raider was never fun, but I found out the FF7 Demo from TR2. :3

Kaabi

Smash Cadet
Need for Speed.
Especially now that has become like a sports game: One each year.

Oh , I never liked also the Madden and Nascar series (but it may just be the original sports that I don't like here).

.Marik

is a social misfit
grand theft auto, halo, gears of war, fable, fallout, call of duty, left 4 dead, tomb raider, prince of Persia, need for speed.
and all other xbox exclusives .lets not forget the sucky guitar hero.
>_<

I dislike... Farcry.

Didn't find it fun at all.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Halo 2. I never liked it, despite being moderately good at it. It seemed like it was trying to go in several directions at once (mainly in regards to theme) and kind of failed to come together believably. That, and it tried to be as cool as possible and lost a bit of subtlety. Halo 3 is a bit better about it, but by that point I was so turned off by the series that I just didn't even bother getting into it.

Top Bottom