• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Popular games that you dislike?

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I dislike Halo because it's generic
I dislike Tetris Because it's boring.
This. Not only is Halo generic, but it's EXTREMELY overhyped, as said before. I just kinda get tired of middle schoolers and high schoolers talking about how "awesome" it is, you know?

I also completely agree about Tetris.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I dunno man, it's sold 7.19 million copies worldwide and got a metacritic score of 97. There must surely be something somewhere in that game that people enjoyed. I figure Sumo will work out what exactly that is when (if) he rents it.
Halo also sold a metric ton of copies and got good ratings. I still find that to be overrated, too.

People enjoyed it. But people enjoy Saw, too. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying that I highly disagree. Suum cuique.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I didn't like MP3 as much as I thought I would. Defiantly the most disappointing title for a while.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Man, Saw was fantastic. Probably my second favourite horror movie of all time. Really though, I'm happy enough with Suum Cuique aswell firus, because frankly you dislike a lot of things which are incredibly awesome.

BloodyPuppy, are your dorm mates trying to style themselves as some kind of legitimate halo clan? Because if so, then yeah; they really need a better game. There's nothing worse than serious halo players.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Man, Saw was fantastic. Probably my second favourite horror movie of all time. Really though, I'm happy enough with Suum Cuique aswell firus, because frankly you dislike a lot of things which are incredibly awesome.

BloodyPuppy, are your dorm mates trying to style themselves as some kind of legitimate halo clan? Because if so, then yeah; they really need a better game. There's nothing worse than serious halo players.
Nah, they just really like it. I'm just bitter there's only one real PC gamer on the floor other than me.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Saw I was a genuinely good movie. II was decent. After that the focus switched from Jigsaw to traps with faceless people who were by and large unimportant. Saw V was a major disappointment.
Either way you look at it, the first one was the best, the second was okay, and the rest were just mindlessly violent.
But I don't like the movies anyways. It's a very gory movie about a psychotic person killing other people. I can see people liking ghost horror movies, and I myself will enjoy them from time to time. Supernatural ones are at least interesting. Why do you want to see something that could really happen, though? Don't we have enough bad things happening in this world that we don't need to see them happening as entertainment? Honestly, no offense to you, I find it disturbing that people would find that sort of thing entertaining.

In any case, that wasn't my point. My point is, a game isn't necessarily good just because it's popular or sold well. Actually, that goes for anything. Awards, sales, popularity...when it all comes down to it, it has no importance, because everyone has their own opinion. Even though I'd like to call Super Metroid the best game of all time, I'm sure a metric ton of people would disagree. It's critically acclaimed, and that gives it credit, but it doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well, you got me there :laugh:

Seriously, there are defining genre lines in between the literal hundreds of combining main genres into a sub/mix genre. I can dig up my notes from class, but there are Nine main genres with an estimate over nine hundred sub-genres, there are A LOT.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I like the multiplayer part in Halo
I'm kinda reluctant to get games like Fallout 3 and Deadspace cuz I think that only the campaign's gonna be fun

speaking of "popular" games I don't like
it starts with a B and ends with L
*no intention to start debate*

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I like the multiplayer part in Halo
I'm kinda reluctant to get games like Fallout 3 and Deadspace cuz I think that only the campaign's gonna be fun
In Dead Space and Fallout 3, is there anything except the campaign? To the best of my knowledge, neither of those games feature multiplayer components, so I guess if you don't like the campaign there's not much to like about them.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
@hemightbegiant: I... suppose so? Whatever saw is, horror thriller thingy, it's mad.

In any case, that wasn't my point. My point is, a game isn't necessarily good just because it's popular or sold well. Actually, that goes for anything. Awards, sales, popularity...when it all comes down to it, it has no importance, because everyone has their own opinion. Even though I'd like to call Super Metroid the best game of all time, I'm sure a metric ton of people would disagree. It's critically acclaimed, and that gives it credit, but it doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things.
True enough. Though if a whole bunch of people say something's terrible, I'll try and avoid it, just like if a lot of people say something's awesome I'll give it a try.

That's really why I posted the sales figures and review scores, I figure other people are the same. "Pas says mario galaxy might be worth a try. Does anyone agree with him though? Yes, 1.7 million people worldwide and the majority of the gaming press. I see."

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I honestly didn't like the second mario. Third was bad ***....2nd one not so much, but what can you expect from a game that wasn't even suppose to be super mario?

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
When I made that joke, I was thinking to myself "Why the balls has no one done this joke yet? It's so obvious!" Now granted, I love me some Halo. I really do. It's just that the gameplay outside of Halo 2 is so average.
Lol, that joke was full of win. I wonder why no one else did it first...

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
This thread makes me feel like I have really good taste, in like the 200 games mentioned there have only been two games I like that anyone else didn't. But back on topic.

1. FF7 is the armpit of entertainment.
2. Any MMO. I not only dislike them, but have a deep personal hatred for anything related to them.
3. Bioshock, why was this popular?
4. I take it back the Tales games are actually the armpit of entertainment. The sweaty, hairy, never been washed, drunken viking armpit.
5. I really really hate Tales games.

Also I don't think it was really all that popular, but my roommate was just playing Mercenaries 2 and if anyone was considering it please just avoid it at all costs.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
This thread makes me feel like I have really good taste, in like the 200 games mentioned there have only been two games I like that anyone else didn't. But back on topic.

1. FF7 is the armpit of entertainment.
2. Any MMO. I not only dislike them, but have a deep personal hatred for anything related to them.
3. Bioshock, why was this popular?
4. I take it back the Tales games are actually the armpit of entertainment. The sweaty, hairy, never been washed, drunken viking armpit.
5. I really really hate Tales games.

Also I don't think it was really all that popular, but my roommate was just playing Mercenaries 2 and if anyone was considering it please just avoid it at all costs.
Haha, the armpit of entertainment, that's pretty funny. I totally agree, FF7 is mediocre at best, and the Tales games are so boring and generic...

I do like Bioshock though.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
some of you guys hate games without giving any good reasons.
Then I will defend my picks. Here's why I hate the games I metnioned.

I consider videogames to be an art, and I love art. My definition of art is as follows, "the expressing of an idea, concept, emotion, or story by entertaining means". Therefore I hate MMO's because they have no story and have no personal attachment at all. I could play 20 good games in the time it takes to get decently into WOW, and whats worse is I have no feeling of satisfaction when I finish playing.

The same goes for FF7. Despite what you may have heard there is no story there. It's just stock characters and stupid plot twists. Sure Sephiroth has a good song and he looks cool, but that does not make him an intersting character. All the people in that game are about as deep as a puddle.

The Tales games are by far the worst culprit. They not only have bad stories, they are an assault on the very concept of storytelling. My roommate convienced me to play through Vesperia with him and we just laughed all the way through. Honestly at times I think they might have actually been trying to tell a bad story, just to mess with me. They succeeded. What the heck was going on there.

As for Bioshock, I'll be honest I didn't finish it. I got about halfway through and didn't feel like it was going anywhere so I stopped. Maybe it got better, if so I take back my previous statement, but what I played was no fun.

Now I realize that I have a very specific opinion of what makes a game good. The top criteria for me is the story, unless of course its a fighter or something, so others may disagree and say that the games are just fun to play and they don't care about the story. They have the right to feel that way, and if you enjoy Tales by all means keep playing, I won't try to stop you, but I will not be seen anywhere near it.

Oh, and as for Mercenaries 2, I don't need a justification, its just bad.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The same goes for FF7. Despite what you may have heard there is no story there. It's just stock characters and stupid plot twists. Sure Sephiroth has a good song and he looks cool, but that does not make him an intersting character. All the people in that game are about as deep as a puddle.

The Tales games are by far the worst culprit. They not only have bad stories, they are an assault on the very concept of storytelling. My roommate convienced me to play through Vesperia with him and we just laughed all the way through. Honestly at times I think they might have actually been trying to tell a bad story, just to mess with me. They succeeded. What the heck was going on there.
That sounds more like you have a problem with the JRPG genre as a whole, rather than those games specifically--Final Fantasy and the Tales series being prototypical JRPGs. The Japanese concept of an RPG generally involves very defined character archetypes, in which you can clearly see who is who from the very beginning, thus your "deep as a puddle" comment. There are exceptions, but the "good versus evil" story with defined roles is central to almost every JRPG, not simply those in particular.

You're not wrong in thinking how you do, it's just all in the way you look at it.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Maybe, but there are also good stories in JRPG's. Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Suikoden, all great. I don't mean to sound so negative though. I love games, I just got mad cause I got stuck playing Vesperia with my roommate for a while and I was very unhappy about it.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Bioshock didn't get too much better in the latter half, so if you weren't already totally into it, you probably won't be too happy with the rest of it.

Anyways, I don't know about all the Tales games, but Tales of Symphonia at least had a pretty good story. You're not the first to say that Versperia's story was lame though. Can't say I've played it, my xbox is bricked.

If Mercenaries 2 is as bad as it's demo suggested, then I'll pass.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I strongly dislike Halo, how is it new and different at all. Huh? There are some many more interseting and better choices out there. Halo is just the same thing over and over. And am I the only one who thinks the graphics aren't anything special?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well, let's see:

Super Mario Galaxy
ALL Grand Theft Auto games (i've never really been a fan of these, despite it's popularity.)
Halo I, II, or 3 (I like them, butthey are WAY TOO overrated for me to handle.
(actually not really I do like them.)

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Halo is way overrated, it shouldn't even be rated M, the guys don't swear, don't strip, drink. the only thing is that blood(that looks like Ketchup) comes out of the guy, and you can barely notice it.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I don't really like the 3d Final Fantasy games.
VII isn't that good, but hat's probably because I got it 10 years after everyone else lol, and X-2's storyline sucks.
I didn't like Mario 64, but that could have been because I got it when I got Galaxy.
I don't like sports games really.
I like most types of games, it's just that certain games don't like me XD.

bored

Smash Ace
Legend of Zelda series: More specifically, OoT. Honestly, why is it so popular?
Mario 64: Could have been better.
Sports game: Watching real football is already torture.

I'm gonna get scorned for this one... yikes..

Half-Life series.

And etc...

Yeah. I'm a shallow *******.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I strongly dislike Halo, how is it new and different at all. Huh? There are some many more interseting and better choices out there. Halo is just the same thing over and over. And am I the only one who thinks the graphics aren't anything special?
I don't really find the graphics to be that special either. But while the games aren't new and different now, the original WAS a big deal when it came out, just like even 8-bit was big when it came out. It all depends on the time, and Halo 1 did make an advancement as far as FPS's. The other two, though? Not really revolutionary.
It's hard to look back on revolutionary games and realize how revolutionary they are sometimes. Honestly, I think the truly revolutionary games are the ones that totally improved the genre, but manage to stand the test of time. A revolutionary game is revolutionary, but the more revolutionary ones, in my opinion, still manage to be fun and still contain that revolutionary-ness to an extent that you don't need to be told about it to see it years after it came out.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
I don't really find the graphics to be that special either. But while the games aren't new and different now, the original WAS a big deal when it came out, just like even 8-bit was big when it came out. It all depends on the time, and Halo 1 did make an advancement as far as FPS's. The other two, though? Not really revolutionary.
It's hard to look back on revolutionary games and realize how revolutionary they are sometimes. Honestly, I think the truly revolutionary games are the ones that totally improved the genre, but manage to stand the test of time. A revolutionary game is revolutionary, but the more revolutionary ones, in my opinion, still manage to be fun and still contain that revolutionary-ness to an extent that you don't need to be told about it to see it years after it came out.
Well, maybe in terms of console FPS games. I don't think it was quite as revolutionary on the PC.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, maybe in terms of console FPS games. I don't think it was quite as revolutionary on the PC.
I was basically referring to console FPS's, but considering I do just about no PC gaming and you're a big PC gamer, you're probably right.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I was basically referring to console FPS's, but considering I do just about no PC gaming and you're a big PC gamer, you're probably right.
FPSs have been on PCs forever, but consoles were basically barren of them save a few exceptions before Halo came out. If nothing else, it proved to the world that home consoles could be a viable platform for first-person shooters. It's really because of Halo that we have so many FPSs on consoles nowadays.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
FPSs have been on PCs forever, but consoles were basically barren of them save a few exceptions before Halo came out. If nothing else, it proved to the world that home consoles could be a viable platform for first-person shooters. It's really because of Halo that we have so many FPSs on consoles nowadays.
Ah, that would make sense.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
I don't think I've played enough Halo to dislike it. I played a bit of multiplayer on the first, and I remember it being fun but unremarkable, and I played Halo 2's campaign co-op and remember really enjoying it at the time--but then, it's just nice to be able to play couch co-op these days.

I'm beginning to dislike more and more open-world games, I think it's being very overdone. It's sad, but I'm coming to appreciate more and more linearity in the games I'm playing, I feel it lends itself to a more complete and structured narrative.

Top Bottom